Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #196
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

Capt EO

Well at least you had fun...I love those fountains too...just realized we didn't see them last month whoops

No EP day could be complete w/out a ride through SSE...

I was thoroughly impressed too w/ the Savanah area at AKL as well...someday we may stay DVC there too...but I too get hung up w/ the need for the busses everywhere

Can't wait to hear about your dinner

J
Old 02-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #197
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

Nope, definitely didn't think Captain EO was your first stop!

I completely agree with you regarding the music on the Disney buses, ahem, motorcoaches. Really gets you in the mood before you've even hit your destination.

Kidani is our "home" so the AKL has a special place in my heart. Isn't that outlook just fun to sit out at? There usually is a CM with great knowledge standing out there answering questions and such.

I can't wait to hear about Sanaa. I want to dine there soon!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #198
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on til morning

I knew I couldn't be the only one who is impressed with bathrooms!

I think it's hilarious that foodie Wingnut was impressed with Chef Boyardee! But then again, who can resist it??

Can't wait to hear about Sanaa. Everyone seems to love that place!

***What Means "Ay, Caramba?"--Famous for Family of the Day, a Sept TR--IN PROGRESS!!

Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-YouTube & Mobile Device-Friendly Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-Vimeo Version
Instagram: disneyjenn1
Old 02-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #199
vassar36
Mouseketeer

can't wait to hear about Sanaa....so glad I found your TR!!

BLT March 2014
AKL/VWL June 2013 BWV/VWL Nov 2012 AKV March 2012 BCV June 2011
POFQ-March 2010 , VWL -March 2009 POP- April 2008 WL - July 2007 POP- May 2006 Contempary-1970-1980's FW- in the 1980's
Old 02-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #200
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post

Probably the funniest part of it was literally the first Monday we went back to work after our trip, Wingnut texted me like, "you will NEVER believe what just came on my online radio" and it was We Are Here to Change the World from Captain EO!
Um...what do you have to your radio programmed to to make THAT happen?? And which service was it? 'Cause if I could make that happen..I SO want to.

Quote:
Thank you!! Hahaha yeah I knew that one was going to come out of nowhere! Awwww it does get a bit unexpectedly loud, I'm sure you didn't expect that! At least there's a ton of other fun things to do around Epcot to forget all about EO!
It was more the fearsome Angelica Houston and the crazy nails!

I love the bus music, too! You are totally right. Its one of the things that makes Disney "Disney" for me and why I don't mind riding the busses in the slightest.

I would love to stay at AKL someday, too. We were "this" close to doing it last summer (club level no less), but went with the Beach Club in the end because of...yup, location. That and the fact that Max isn't a huge animal fan. I don't know...he's four. I'm afraid of how long it will take to get anywhere. I have a secret (OK not so secret) dream for a trip for Christmas week, which would simply involve staying at AKL and soaking up all the fun there. I even love how the lobby smells there. And the bathrooms...OMG...they are fantastic.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 02-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #201
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

I agree about the Disney bus music! I love it. They put so much thought into everything.

Disembarking is so much fancier than just 'getting off the bus.'

AKL is the coolest idea for a hotel ever. I mean really. Just the IDEA that you might be able to see animals at any given time is awesome! I want to stay there someday too! I'm used to the distance, given that I've ONLY stayed at the All Stars!

Completed Trip Reports:
December 2011 * July/August 2012 * May/June 2013
Old 02-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #202
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

I would have been snapping pics of the Chef Boyardee

Excited to hear how you enjoyed Sanaa.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #203
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

I totally the giraffe photos! Not to leave the zebras out, of course, because they're also very photogenic!

We stayed at AKL, and it was wonderful; but at the end of the day when you're tired and just want the pool and an adult beverage, it was a looooong drive. I don't know that we'd stay there again, but I'm so glad we did it once.

Can't wait for your Sanaa review...I haven't been there yet!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #205
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Love the back and forth between the zebras and the giraffes and the occasional ostrich...great chapter! Very nice pictures.

And you'd love it if you stayed there.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #206
MeMom
DIS Veteran

You know, I was having a pretty darn good not craving Disney day - all happy about getting tickets to take the girls to the Disney Princess Live show in March and getting ready to book our October trip within the week....

but,

then

you

came up with all of those incredible AKL pictures,

and

I digressed in a big way!

I am so glad you felt the AKL love. I can so easily picture us being there in those pictures - feeling the sunshine, hearing the chirps of the birds, and watching the giraffes walk slowly and gracefully from tree to tree finding their food. We have only stayed there once (Jambo), but have visited many, many times, and we definitely plan to stay there again.

Now I have to go write a hundred times
There is no March trip.
and get myself back in control.

June will be here shortly, right?

June will be here shortly.
June will be here shortly.

I think I better do two write-offs to convince myself.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #207
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

First, thank you for that link to the Imagination area music, I LOVE it! I feel like you and I really love the Disney area music loops a LOT! Now I'm listening to the Norway area music...God I'd give anything to be in Epcot right now!

And your description of the bus music makes me want to do a non-rental car trip, just to hear the music on the buses! The only time we ever used the buses was from MK to WL and I'm pretty sure it was music from Four Parks/One World, but I can't be sure, it might have been WL music too...either way, I want to hear Disney music on a Disney bus!

AKL is beautiful, that is such a cool sink! I really love going outside and looking at the animals, although, we always go out by the pool and none of the cool animals are over there (and by that, I mean giraffes! )

Can't wait to hear about Sanaa!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 02-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #209
MEK
DIS Veteran

I love AKL and I know everyone says its far from everything, but it didn't feel that way to me. Once you are there you get totally immersed. I loved it there. Best restaurants, greats pools and HANDS - DOWN the best relaxation music. DO it!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #210
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The music going to Animal Kingdom Lodge has to be one of my favorites. It seems to be pretty similar to what's played over the lobbies and savannah viewing locations, and I just love the singing and the drums. It's just peaceful and wonderful and part of what makes Disney Disney.
Yes! The AK "motorcoach" music is the best! I love that kind of music (I bought one of those Sounds of Africa CDs at Walmart a couple years ago and LOVE it..maybe I'm weird, but hey....). It was great in 2009 when we went to Boma and got a bus to ourselves in the morning...we could actually listen to the music without people talking over it

Quote:
Awesome shot! Love it!

Quote:
I tuned to Wingnut. "I know this sounds crazy, but I really want to stay here someday."

He reiterated our usual lines, that it's far from Epcot and DHS, and that the novelty of the animals would probably wear off.

"Yeah, I know. But this is just so nice."

"It is nice," he agreed.
Dude, your pics may have played a part in the most important decision regarding WDW Trip Planning! I totally just turned to my BF and asked him about doing a split stay in 2013...We're set on BWV....but AKL is SOOO amazing! And since we're going for 2 weeks, it might not be so bad changing resorts after the first few days....

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: