Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #181
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran
 
tinacaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 3,780

Another brilliant and hillarious update. Nope. Didn't see Captain EO coming. We saw it last February and I had some murky recollection of it from my childhood. Oh. My. Word. Just so, so bad. And, to top it all, we had Max with us and he was scared out of his mind. I felt like the world's worst mother for exposing him to all of that at such an early age.

But you are correct about the fountains. They are super cool. I've never seen the timeline, but I'll look for it when I'm there. I'd be into that, I'm sure.

We always seem to leave plenty of time when travelling on Disney motorcoaches. Love that you used that term. I can hear that announcer now...

Looking forward to your review of Sanaa, especially since I know you like Indian food.
__________________
CSR - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
BC - 2011, 2012, 2014
POLY - 2012
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline  
Old 02-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #182
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"
 
3prettyprincesses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,305

Fab update Sara!

Oooh, Michael Jackson! I may or may not have had a poster of him in my room as a young girl..."just beat it, beat it, no one wants to be defeated"

We've yet to see Captain EO, I don't know why. Maybe because it gets consistently cheesy reviews? Especialy after hearing Wingnut's glowing review.

Well of course you stopped to visit Figment! Of course. I love this ride too and basically force my family to ride with me. They're very meh about it but I just love it!

Love your jumping fountain pic! We love that area too and always spend time just watching it jump.

I love that area with the timeline pavement too. I'm sure it has some other more official title but I've no idea what it is. It's cool though. I was pointing them out to my girls and explaining them, I guess that's the homeschool mom in me. A field trip!

That's a great picture of you too, sitting on the ground. Very princess like.

Ah, Spaceship earth! I knew you'd make it over there soon. I agree Jeremy Irons has a more expressive voice, kinda like Alan Rickman. But Judi Dench isn't too bad but I prefer the old one too.

Love your swiss cheese picture! How weird that it photoshopped that way. I have to agree that it's odd to have Wingnut eating in an aquarium while you're across the table eating at the Alps? I guess in the future eveyone will be wearing argyle and able to eat at various locations silmutaneously?

Looks you managed to have a great arrival day despite those pesky marathon cones. Looking forward to the next update, these are so much fun to read.
__________________
3prettyprincesses is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #183
JulieAnn
I need a Disney Fix!!!
 
JulieAnn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 62

Great TR - subscribing so I can catch your Disney happiness for our May '12 trip!
Captain EO, meh... we didn't love it last May and I highly doubt i'll get my kids to watch it this may...
__________________
Julie


Feb 2007 - Our first trip to Disney at the Grand Floridian! ~ December 2007 - Disney Christmas at Wilderness Lodge ~ December 2008 - December at The Boardwalk ~ August 2009 - Free Dining at Wilderness Lodge ~ May 2010 - Spring at the Polynesian! ~ May 2011 - Wilderness Lodge again! ~ May 2012 -Beach Club ~ June 2013 -Last minute trip to Wilderness Lodge!
JulieAnn is offline  
Old 02-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #184
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran
 
Stringbean&Wingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
I was almost right with my Future World prediction!

I have no memory of Captain EO from the 80's and we haven't seen it yet since it's return...maybe on our next trip!

I love the Imagination area too, I love the fountains, I remember them from when I was a kid!

Ahh, Spaceship Earth! I actually don't care who's narrating, I just love that ride!

Hope you didn't have to wait too long for your motorcoach!
Hahaha that's true!! You were in the right vicinity!

You should see it, if only for a laugh. It's pretty 80's-tastic.

The Imagination area is just so fun and spunky I think. Even the area music makes me feel like I can accomplish awesome things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Great update. So great that I am going to borrow it when I get to the Captain EO part of my TR. Looking back all I can remember is it was over the top 80's and I was in my 20's in the 80's. that was my prime. Shouldn't I remember everything 80's?

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You even knew the song. I am totally impressed. That Captain EO movie was just plain dumb, but it WAS Michael Jackson and everyone was super skinny, so for that reason I watched it.

I totally love that picture of you! That's awesome (too lazy to cut and paste it). I hope you have it framed because you look adorable.

I hope you loved Sanaa.

Tell wignut to put his tongue back in his mouth!
Hahaha thank you!! It truly is over-the-top 80's! It even includes the upbeat "getting to work" theme music during the preshow!

Probably the funniest part of it was literally the first Monday we went back to work after our trip, Wingnut texted me like, "you will NEVER believe what just came on my online radio" and it was We Are Here to Change the World from Captain EO!

Thank you!! I promise I will post about Sanaa in the near future!

I swear, he's making that face in around half of our vacation pics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasyland Mom View Post
I have never seen Captain EO, but I am so tempted! I kind of like things that are pointlessly odd.

Granted, I never went on Spaceship Earth when it had Jeremy Irons, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Dame Judi Dench! I was so excited to know I'd hear her familiar, comforting voice the first time I rode! There's just no way it could get any better than that. Maybe. Now going to find a video of his voice...you know, just for research purposes...

You're right--your photo is Swiss cheesy! Makes me laugh. I have one to compete, though. It'll be up on this day of my TR, and it is possibly the worst SE picture EVER. I love it. Having a bad photo kind of makes the ride even more worthwhile!
Oh you SO should! Pointlessly odd completely summarizes this one!!

Judi Dench certainly isn't bad, but I just LOVE the Jeremy Irons version. (There's no video in this version, but this is the best audio I could find. Part 2 of the audio. 1:24 is my absolute favorite line.)

Hahaha idk why my photo always comes out so weird! But it is kind of funnier to have a bad picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
What is Spaceship Earth I have never been there (fear of the unknown )
The ride inside the giant Epcot ball! Don't fear the unknown, especially in Disney! There's fun things around every corner! (Or, in this case, inside every geodesic sphere)
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline  
Old 02-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #185
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran
 
Stringbean&Wingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,989

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Hahaha, I think we've all been there where we ask the same question of Captain EO. Really? All that talent and THIS is what they come up with?

I miss Jeremy Irons narrating Spaceship Earth. ACTUALLY, I miss Walter Cronkite narrating SE. I like Judy Dench, but it's not quite the same.
Hahaha literally, Wingnut just kept saying that for at least an hour later. "Really? Really???"

I agree. It's definitely not bad. But I miss the old version!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
I just love Spaceship Earth. I can't wait to see what you thought about Saana and AKL since we are going to be there in 63 more days !!! You look much warmer on this trip than you did last trip. It has been a very mild winter. My cousin in Colorado just got 18 inches of snow so it makes you wonder what might be coming east. But for now, I have tennis plans for Sunday - yay.
AKL and Sanaa coming up soon!! Your trip is coming up so fast, that's awesome!

We were SOOOO much warmer this trip, thank goodness!! It was fantastic to not have to wear our winter coats this time!

Wow 18 inches of snow is a lot! Let's hope it just all magically disappears before it comes east! Have fun at tennis!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
I used to Love Captain EO back in the day. I actually had a stuffed "Hooter" (the elephant) he was so cute. We missed it when we were there in May, it wasn't a big priority but I had hoped we would have time.

I miss Jeremy Irons, too but I will say that I am partial to the Walter Cronkite version.
Awwww a stuffed Hooter, that's awesome!! It is a bit of a time undertaking, they seem to want to make you watch the whole pre-show! Hopefully you'll get to see it at some point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
Being a HUGE MJ fan, I was so excited to see Captain EO last December. When the show was over I was like huh? Maybe in 1985 (or whenever it was made) it was cool but really?

Loved your S.E picture.... i know a good chiropractor if you need one.
Hahaha that's kind of what our reactions were too! Like...wow, things were REALLY different then!

I think my little SE person needs more than a chiropractor! That shoulder blade looks like it's about 2 feet more to the left than it should be!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline  
Old 02-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #186
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran
 
Stringbean&Wingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,989

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Another brilliant and hillarious update. Nope. Didn't see Captain EO coming. We saw it last February and I had some murky recollection of it from my childhood. Oh. My. Word. Just so, so bad. And, to top it all, we had Max with us and he was scared out of his mind. I felt like the world's worst mother for exposing him to all of that at such an early age.

But you are correct about the fountains. They are super cool. I've never seen the timeline, but I'll look for it when I'm there. I'd be into that, I'm sure.

We always seem to leave plenty of time when travelling on Disney motorcoaches. Love that you used that term. I can hear that announcer now...

Looking forward to your review of Sanaa, especially since I know you like Indian food.
Thank you!! Hahaha yeah I knew that one was going to come out of nowhere! Awwww it does get a bit unexpectedly loud, I'm sure you didn't expect that! At least there's a ton of other fun things to do around Epcot to forget all about EO!

The timeline is kind of a ring of plates on the ground when you're walking towards The Land from the main "hub" of Future World. They're easy to miss, but they're really cool to stop and look at.

We always leave a ton of time too for the transport! Hahaha I'm on a roll with the YouTube tonight, here you go!

Sanaa review coming up (fairly) soon, I promise! I'm REALLY excited to share this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
Fab update Sara!

Oooh, Michael Jackson! I may or may not have had a poster of him in my room as a young girl..."just beat it, beat it, no one wants to be defeated"

We've yet to see Captain EO, I don't know why. Maybe because it gets consistently cheesy reviews? Especialy after hearing Wingnut's glowing review.

Well of course you stopped to visit Figment! Of course. I love this ride too and basically force my family to ride with me. They're very meh about it but I just love it!

Love your jumping fountain pic! We love that area too and always spend time just watching it jump.

I love that area with the timeline pavement too. I'm sure it has some other more official title but I've no idea what it is. It's cool though. I was pointing them out to my girls and explaining them, I guess that's the homeschool mom in me. A field trip!

That's a great picture of you too, sitting on the ground. Very princess like.

Ah, Spaceship earth! I knew you'd make it over there soon. I agree Jeremy Irons has a more expressive voice, kinda like Alan Rickman. But Judi Dench isn't too bad but I prefer the old one too.

Love your swiss cheese picture! How weird that it photoshopped that way. I have to agree that it's odd to have Wingnut eating in an aquarium while you're across the table eating at the Alps? I guess in the future eveyone will be wearing argyle and able to eat at various locations silmutaneously?

Looks you managed to have a great arrival day despite those pesky marathon cones. Looking forward to the next update, these are so much fun to read.
Thank you!!!

Awww, how could you have skipped EO, especially with your old poster?? It's just totally hilarious in its cheesyness. You have to go, seriously!

I love Figment too! Wingnut is actually VERY patient, and will go on Journey Into Imagination several times a trip! (Yup, there's a spoiler )

I have no idea what the timeline is actually called either, but I love looking at it! It really is cool seeing all of the different inventions!

Jeremy Iron's voice really is just more expressive! But Judi Dench has fun with it, which I do like.

I swear, the SE futures really do love those argyle sweaters!! I guess eating in different "locations" could be useful, maybe. (Alright, I have no idea how this could be useful! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieAnn View Post
Great TR - subscribing so I can catch your Disney happiness for our May '12 trip!
Captain EO, meh... we didn't love it last May and I highly doubt i'll get my kids to watch it this may...
Thank you, welcome!! Glad to have you here!

Hahaha we just love super-cheesy things like this. Wingnut, especially. I was actually a bit surprised when he excitedly suggested going back. But hey, it's not like I don't enjoy it either!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline  
Old 02-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #187
Simba22
DIS Veteran
 
Simba22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Construction State (aka Connecticut)
Posts: 4,686

Dang it!! I was totally gonna say Captain EO!! And I'm so glad that you like Figment! It's one of my favorite rides and I hate that guidebooks always trash it!

I miss the Jeremy Irons narration on SE too...although to be honest, before the refurb they did, I could barely hear any of it because the track was so loud.

Can't wait to hear about your dinner at Sanaa!
Simba22 is offline  
Old 02-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #188
Megablocks
DIS Veteran
 
Megablocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,108

I've never seen Captain EO. One of my DIS friends saw it last year and texted me with, "that was the strangest thing I've ever seen in my life."

I LOVE the Imagination area! I remember seeing the timeline, next time I need to stop and look at everything.

So...you were at Sanaa that night? We were at Boma at 4:30!
__________________
Meghan DF Charles

In the moments of our lives
Both the joyous and the tragic
If the truth is to be told
We are all pursuing magic

1994: CBR // 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004: POR // 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013: Pop Century
Next: May 2014, Pop Century!

Megablocks is offline  
Old 02-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #189
MeMom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 15,023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Seriously? This just doesn't look comfortable.

Yes, I believe you will require a chiropractor. Trent works for an awesome one, so let us know.....



Quote:
I'm picturing Wingnut Junior doing this in a few years.
You will have to save this for when Senior tells Junior to get down because it's dangerous and rude.
__________________
So Much to Celebrate http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3066162
I Don't Know, I Don't Speak Wind http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2962147
All I want for Christmas http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2860915
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678


We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
MeMom is offline  
Old 02-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #190
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran
 
marDgreen88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,810

I think you've convinced me to go to see Captain EO.

Omg, your Spaceship Earth picture is hysterical. I mean who took a bite out of your head? HAHAHA.
__________________
-Marissa
marDgreen88 is offline  
Old 02-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #191
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran
 
Stringbean&Wingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba22 View Post
Dang it!! I was totally gonna say Captain EO!! And I'm so glad that you like Figment! It's one of my favorite rides and I hate that guidebooks always trash it!

I miss the Jeremy Irons narration on SE too...although to be honest, before the refurb they did, I could barely hear any of it because the track was so loud.

Can't wait to hear about your dinner at Sanaa!
Hahaha you should have!!! I know, Figment gets such bad reviews, I'm like "but he's awesome!!"

This is true, the track used to be a lot louder. I can't pretend to look fondly back at that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megablocks View Post
I've never seen Captain EO. One of my DIS friends saw it last year and texted me with, "that was the strangest thing I've ever seen in my life."

I LOVE the Imagination area! I remember seeing the timeline, next time I need to stop and look at everything.

So...you were at Sanaa that night? We were at Boma at 4:30!
LOL That's pretty apt!!

It's fun to look at the timeline, although it's hard during busier times, you're pretty much right in the middle of the Soarin' traffic flow!

Seriously??? Seems like we were on the same plan wavelength!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Yes, I believe you will require a chiropractor. Trent works for an awesome one, so let us know.....

I'm picturing Wingnut Junior doing this in a few years.
You will have to save this for when Senior tells Junior to get down because it's dangerous and rude.
Hahahaha thankfully I only look like that on Spaceship Earth!!

He so would! I'll have to keep this one on hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
I think you've convinced me to go to see Captain EO.

Omg, your Spaceship Earth picture is hysterical. I mean who took a bite out of your head? HAHAHA.
Hahahaha yes!!! You just HAVE to once!

I don't really know what happened here!!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline  
Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #192
LilAnn
DIS Veteran
 
LilAnn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 1,405

Wait, I've never even noticed the timeline stuff. Man, there is always so much to see at Epcot, I seriously discover something "new" each time I go.

I can't wait to hear about Sanaa. I really want to eat there one day. There's just so many places that I want to try, but some old favorites always call out to me.
__________________
LilAnn is offline  
Old 02-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #193
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran
 
Stringbean&Wingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,989

Giraffes! And Zebras!

It wasn't long before our AKL-bound chariot arrived, and we hopped on-board.

Not literally. We took our seats in a calm and civilized manner.

Probably.

Can I divert for a moment to rhapsodize about the bus music? I truly adore how the Disney busses – sorry, motorcoaches – play destination-specific music. Like, for the Yacht Club, it's calm nautical sounds like seagulls and ocean waves. To Epcot, you'll hear lots of the songs from 4 Parks 1 World CD's, Ellen's Energy Adventure and World Showcase tunes. En route to DHS, movie themes.

The music going to Animal Kingdom Lodge has to be one of my favorites. It seems to be pretty similar to what's played over the lobbies and savannah viewing locations, and I just love the singing and the drums. It's just peaceful and wonderful and part of what makes Disney Disney.

Anyways. We're on the bus. Nothing very notable happens. We stop first at Kidani Village, and disembark (I'm on a roll with the bus terminology here, right?).

(Yes, that last one was on purpose too.)

We were pretty early for our reservation, so we made our way through the lobby, stopping in the gift shop, of course.

Wingnut: Wait! Why does this gift shop have Chef Boyardee???
Me: Because it's a vacation club resort.
Wingnut: That's awesome.

Sigh.

Moving away from the pantry section of the gift shop, we decided to go check out the animals for a little bit.

I stopped in one of the bathrooms on the way to the savannah, and found an awesome sink in there.



(Wingnut had gone to the bathroom as well, he was pretty impressed with the sinks as well, all like "Did you see the sinks in there??")

Blurry, but AKL has quotations painted on the walls.



Savannah time!!



Zebras!



Giraffes!





Zebras!



Giraffes!









(Apparently we were in the part of the savannah with the zebras and giraffes )

Pretty beaded lamps.



And more zebras!



Gira... no, wait. That's an ostrich.



It was just so peaceful and wonderful standing out there watching the zebras and wildebeasts and birds. I know I've always said that Wingnut and I would never consider staying at AKL because of the distance to everything (Epcot) but at that moment, I finally felt the AKL lodge love.

I tuned to Wingnut. "I know this sounds crazy, but I really want to stay here someday."

He reiterated our usual lines, that it's far from Epcot and DHS, and that the novelty of the animals would probably wear off.

"Yeah, I know. But this is just so nice."

"It is nice," he agreed.

We hung out for around a half hour or so on the little area overlooking the savannah, enjoying watching the animals and savoring that excitement of the first Disney day.

A few minutes before 5 (when Sanaa opens), we made our way inside, ready for our first dinner of the trip!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline  
Old 02-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #194
LilAnn
DIS Veteran
 
LilAnn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 1,405

Apparently I commented too soon as you just updated. Anyways, you got some nice animal pics! I haven't seen the giraffes whenever I am out there. I do see many a zebra butt.

Nice sink, for reals.

Those beaded lamps are pretty cool. I just love all the details in the resorts.
__________________
LilAnn is offline  
Old 02-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #195
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran
 
Joyciemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Quincy, MA
Posts: 2,690

Your AKL pictures are making me nostalgic! I LOVED staying at Kidani, but we probably never will again (unless we do a trip without parks, which is totally possible for us, or a long split-stay) because of how far it is from everything... we tried to take mid-day breaks, and I felt like we missed both park time AND time to enjoy our resort. Though if we had a car with us, that might have changed things...

But it is sooooooooo nice and I absolutely loved our stay at the resort itself!
Joyciemc is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: