Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #61
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaDisneyCouple View Post
We bring one of our small dry sacks that we use when kayaking. We can keep items like medication and cell phones in one, secured in the safe. It would be our grab and go bag. They're also brightly colored (red and yellow), which would present something else to use to be seen.

DW also has a Mickey shaped key chain, with a small LED light built in.
The go bag is an excellent idea

I know many people are concerned about ID such as a passport after the emergency. For a backup I email myself a pdf scanned copy of our passports and if need be I can access this from an onshore computer. This will put some at ease and you won't have the temptation to go back to your stateroom to try to retrieve them.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #62
GSUJillybean
Mouseketeer

Scan copies of passports, DL's, Birth/Marriage certificates for everyone, give one of each copy to your emergency contact, and email one of each to yourself.

That way, at least the state department can take down document numbers, and start filling out forms if you're displaced.
GSUJillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #63
AbsyBabsy
Disney Diva

I used to tell my daughter (when she was old enough be be on her own) that I would meet her at the muster station and not to go look for me anywhere else. I changed that after this story. I talked to her and told her I would meet her on land. Most important to me is that she is safe, if she is going to panic because I am not there, I want her to panic on safe, dry land. I also told her that if - and how extremely unlikely the IF is, but if we are ever on a ship that is listing like the recent one, she should not worry about her muster station if it is on the low side and just get to the high side and to a life boat station.

The likelihood of this happening on a cruise ship is so small, how many people are on ships everyday and come home safe? Many, many people. I believe in having a plan and then stop worrying about it.

So off I go, in just a few days for my next Dreamy 3 day with my daughter. IF she behaves!

Wonder 2006, Magic 2007, Wonder 2008, Magic 2009, Wonder 2009, Wonder 2010, Wonder 2010, Oasis 2010, Magic 3/19/2011, Dream 4/7/2011, Dream 1/26/2012 Platinum baby! Fantasy 6/2/12 Dream 9/2/12, upcoming: Fantasy 2013, Dream 2013, Fantasy 2014, Magic Christmas 2014, Wonder Alaska 2015.
AbsyBabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #64
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Heres a couple I havent seen posted yet, and Ill apologise in advance if they have been:

1. As soon as you get to your cabin, close the door, turn around and LOOK AT THE DRAWING ON IT. It has the info youll need if you ever have to evac, from how to put on the lifejacket, to where to go and when.
2. Do NOT use the ELEVATORS. They take too long and in the case of powerfailure, the last thing the crew needs is to rescue some one from the elevator. Use the stairs.
3. No pushing, fighting biting kicking and screaming in the stairs. In the end, it doesnt help.
4. Try and keep a mental image of where you are on the ship at any given time. It could make the difference. Keep in mind, the closest exit, door or stairs may be behind you.
5. If you are on the stairs, after you get where you need to be, get off them and away from the landings. You wont know if any of the crew needs them, or if others are coming down behind you.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #65
insureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
Heres a couple I havent seen posted yet, and Ill apologise in advance if they have been:

1. As soon as you get to your cabin, close the door, turn around and LOOK AT THE DRAWING ON IT. It has the info youll need if you ever have to evac, from how to put on the lifejacket, to where to go and when.
2. Do NOT use the ELEVATORS. They take too long and in the case of powerfailure, the last thing the crew needs is to rescue some one from the elevator. Use the stairs.
3. No pushing, fighting biting kicking and screaming in the stairs. In the end, it doesnt help.
4. Try and keep a mental image of where you are on the ship at any given time. It could make the difference. Keep in mind, the closest exit, door or stairs may be behind you.
5. If you are on the stairs, after you get where you need to be, get off them and away from the landings. You wont know if any of the crew needs them, or if others are coming down behind you.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #66
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Heres another that I thought of. Also a bump.
On the off chance theres a fire somewhere, dont go charging out of your cabin, and head on your way to the muster station or where ever youve been told. Stop. Check the cabin door with the back of your hand. If the door is hot, dont open it. Call the security number and tell them where youare. place wet towels under the door, and then back away from it.

If the door is cool (always always always use the back of your hand) open the door slowly, stay low and look into the hallway. If there is smoke, stay low, preferably on your hands and knees, and keep contact with the wall. Keep a shoulder or hand on it. If the smoke is too bad, dont leave your cabin, call security and tell them where you are. Again place wet towels under your door.

If you see someone jump/fall overboard.

Keep an eye them at all times. If one is near throw a life ring towards the person. Have someone nearby call a crew member to alert the bridge. But dont take your eyes off of them if you can help it. Its next to impossible to find them again.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #67
Kaylad2006
Mouseketeer

Tips

thanks for all the good information! I actuall emailed them this week but got very vague answers. My concern is traveling with a 5 year old if an emergency does happen what is their plan with the children, get them off the ship and then connect them with their parents? I mean at this age there will be a lot of scared kids, etc.....
Kaylad2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #68
Toddymae
Earning My Ears, again and again

I alway put the life jacket on my grandkids - even when DCL said it wasn't necessary. They need to now how it feels and not to be scared of it.

As we walked to the muster station I point out the area/places we are passing and we practice saying the 'letter' of the muster station. During the week as we walk around the ship- I'll ask if they remember this area/place as one of the places we pass to our muster station. I make sure we walk, at least once, on deck 4 to pass the muster station.

When my 6 year old grandson return home from his first cruise he explained the muster drill to his Mother and asked, "Do we have a plan in-case of an emergency?" His Mother said, 'we do now'. Thanks to explaining the muster drill and it's importance - I feel my grandkids are safer at home.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #69
insureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
Heres another that I thought of. Also a bump.
On the off chance theres a fire somewhere, dont go charging out of your cabin, and head on your way to the muster station or where ever youve been told. Stop. Check the cabin door with the back of your hand. If the door is hot, dont open it. Call the security number and tell them where youare. place wet towels under the door, and then back away from it.

If the door is cool (always always always use the back of your hand) open the door slowly, stay low and look into the hallway. If there is smoke, stay low, preferably on your hands and knees, and keep contact with the wall. Keep a shoulder or hand on it. If the smoke is too bad, dont leave your cabin, call security and tell them where you are. Again place wet towels under your door.
How could I forget that one, it was drummed into us in boot camp and when we had fire fighting training on my ship.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #70
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh

Great tips!

I also showed my kids the photos of the Concordia, and we talked about how to escape and get safely to land. As a family we honestly had never thought about what we would do if we were in different locations when an emergency occurred. It helps to make a plan ahead of time. These are the tips I had for my kids:

1. Always meet at the muster station, don't go back to the stateroom!! I reminded them that the muster station is on their KTTW card so it will be easy to remember even if they are worried. If they are in the stateroom, go to the nearest stairs. My son even pointed out that if he was on deck 2, and the ship listed- use the bannisters/railings on the stairs to help you ascend them.

2. Don't be afraid to yell for help if you need it. It's one time it's okay to talk to strangers! Most adults will willingly stop and help kids.

3. If they are in the Edge/Vibe, or at an activity such as something in Studio Sea or the movies- don't panic. Look for the CMs, go to them and ask for directions to their muster station. Stick with the CM if they have to. Follow the directions the CMs give.
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12

Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #71
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

This thread was indeed a excellent idea insureman!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #72
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDeeKath View Post
One thing I keep hearing over and over again is that some of the staff told the Costa passengers that everything was fine, go back to your room. That's the same thing the 911 survivors repeated frequently too. Some of the fire fighters told them to go back to their offices instead of trying to go down stairs and out of the building.

My take on these emergencies is that to a certain extent, you have to follow your instincts and not necessarily that of a 20 year old crew member telling you everything is fine. If I hear the ship hitting something and then all the lights go out, no way would I head back to my room and "stay there." I would grab the life jackets and get to the muster station OUTSIDE (not in the lounge) as soon as I could. I think common sense has to be used in these situations.

Also, I would never listen to the "ladies and children first" nonsense. In today's day and age, the only people who need to get into lifeboats first are the disabled. Everyone else should stick together as a family. What if we are 200 miles from the nearest coast? I would heavily rely on my husband to help me through the ordeal, both physically and emotionally, especially if I have children. I would never allow some crew member to tell me to go ahead while he stayed behind. This is not the 1940s and there is no reasonable place for this lame, antiquated tradition.

I do pack a small flashlight on all my cruises, but given that I don't even walk around with my keys/cel/money during the actual cruise (just my keycard usually), I normally keep the flashlight in the dresser drawer next to my bed with my meds in the cabin. I figure in case of emergency, there should be enough time to go back to the cabin, grab the life vest and grab the flashlight and meds.

JMHO of course. Katherine
I agree. I'd also want to keep my family together. I never carry anything but my KTTW card, but that may change now. I can always use my iPhone as a camera and then I would have it with me to double as a flashlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaOC-Mom View Post
As well as mini flash lights, glow sticks are also useful and fun for deck parties at night.
Great idea - use a glow stick!!! And, they are waterproof!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentRN View Post
No one makes you get on the lifeboat. If you want to be the next to the last person off a sinking ship, that is your prerogative. But if I told my DH that the kids and I were staying with him until he could get on the lifeboat, he'd knock me unconscious and toss me on.
My DH would as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Little Pixie View Post
Great tips!

I also showed my kids the photos of the Concordia, and we talked about how to escape and get safely to land. As a family we honestly had never thought about what we would do if we were in different locations when an emergency occurred. It helps to make a plan ahead of time. These are the tips I had for my kids:

1. Always meet at the muster station, don't go back to the stateroom!! I reminded them that the muster station is on their KTTW card so it will be easy to remember even if they are worried. If they are in the stateroom, go to the nearest stairs. My son even pointed out that if he was on deck 2, and the ship listed- use the bannisters/railings on the stairs to help you ascend them.

2. Don't be afraid to yell for help if you need it. It's one time it's okay to talk to strangers! Most adults will willingly stop and help kids.

3. If they are in the Edge/Vibe, or at an activity such as something in Studio Sea or the movies- don't panic. Look for the CMs, go to them and ask for directions to their muster station. Stick with the CM if they have to. Follow the directions the CMs give.
This is a great idea. I have an almost 5 year old and hadn't shown her the pics because I didn't want her to be afraid (we are going on our 5th her 4th DCL cruise in 3 weeks). However, I think you are right. Discuss it with her. It's no different than talking about our fire plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
This thread was indeed a excellent idea
Here's another small tip to help people just know their way around the ship - PORT is the left side - 4 letters PORT and LEFT. They are the same. Then, once you memorize that, you will know Starboard is right. I just remember PORT is 4 letters like LEFT. Just a directional thing. Also, on Disney Magic/Wonder, look at the carpet - RED arrows point AFT (again, 3 letters - RED and AFT). Blue points forward, but again, you just have to remember one

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #73
PrincessBelle39
DIS Veteran

Just wondering how the kids club works in case of emergency. Are we to pick the children up from there on our way to the muster station or are they taken by CM to lifeboats? This is something I didn't consider at all last time.
September 2005 - Disneyland, Desert Palms Inn & Suites
August 1999 - Disneyland, Park Vue Inn
February 1996 - Disneyland, Carousel Inn
November 1994 - Disneyland Paris
PrincessBelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #74
Brandis
DIS Veteran

They are brought to their muster stations by staff.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #75
insureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
Here's another small tip to help people just know their way around the ship - PORT is the left side - 4 letters PORT and LEFT. They are the same. Then, once you memorize that, you will know Starboard is right. I just remember PORT is 4 letters like LEFT. Just a directional thing. Also, on Disney Magic/Wonder, look at the carpet - RED arrows point AFT (again, 3 letters - RED and AFT). Blue points forward, but again, you just have to remember one
Excellent for the non-marine types!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: