Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #46
lexlaw69
Mouseketeer

Also, best advice I heard (which I will be heeding) is to pack a flashlight. One will be on my keyring from now on. Everything else is just tossed salad depending on the situation.
lexlaw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #47
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by insureman View Post
I'm the OP and really wanted tips on what to do in a shipboard emergency. I was not expecting people to say they would blatantly disregard orders that would affect the safety of themselves or fellow passengers. As to a previous poster about keeping the family intact, if they call a "women and children first" order. I'm thinking her husband would not feel to good about himself if lifeboats were in short supply and he took the place of child that could have been evacuated. Tips will still be welcomed, I really don't want this to be a behavior thread.
Maybe some missed the point of this thread and the OP's repeated request. Hmmmm.

Ex Techie
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #48
emum
An old salt re-living her youth through Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by disdel View Post
DW, after seeing a recent father/son rescued holding on to their floating cooler, remarked that I should always have one aboard when leaving the dock. As if....!
But, it's true - MANY a small boater has clung to one.
I wonder if that was footage of the two fathers and their sons off the Northern Beaches here in Sydney (where I live) ? Also worth noting they had their own EPIRB. Without it, their chances of survival would have been greatly reduced. Of course, their boat was not a cruiseliner, so I digress.

As an Australian, where the majority of children are taught to swim, I would think a major tip would be make sure you know how to swim, and also do a Life Saving course. Something akin to a Bronze Medallion here.

Cheers,
Sally
A Month of Disney - completed 2010/11 ....Part 1 - GCH CL 12/25 - 12/29; Part 2 - BWI CL 12/29 - 1/6; Part 3 - Disney Wonder Panama Canal Repo Cruise 1/6 - 1/21; April 2012 - 20th Wedding Anniversary - 4 nights Waikiki, 4 nights Waikoloa (Big Island), and 9 nights Aulani

DVC Members at Aulani since January 2011
July 2013 - Disneyland and Alaska Disney Wonder cruise booked
December 2014 / January 2015 - Undecided, but will do something before DD1 heads off to university

emum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #49
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Again, please keep this thread to tips/info only...if you have questions on the accident or other non tip questions/comments start a new thread.

Thanks,

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #50
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Again, please keep this thread to tips/info only...if you have questions on the accident or other non tip questions/comments start a new thread.

Thanks,

MJ
Thanks MJ
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #51
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
My suggestion is that in an emergency, guests need to shut their mouths and listen to the instructions given by the crew. It seems basic, but....I can't hear if the person next to me is talking or screaming.
This should be at the top of the list. This should also be noted and done at the muster drill onboard.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #52
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by insureman View Post
Thanks MJ
Agreed!

Also JillJill's comment regarding kcashner's post.

Ex Techie
Old 01-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #53
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
There is enough lifeboats and liferaft on each side for 100% of the poeple omboard....

AKK
Where did you get this information? I have my doubts about it.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #54
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
Where did you get this information? I have my doubts about it.
Please see the above post by MJ and JillJill.

Ex Techie
Old 01-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #55
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by extechie rbd/wdt View Post
Please see the above post by MJ and JillJill.

Ex Techie
Thank you, but I don't want people to be given misinformation either.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #56
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
Thank you, but I don't want people to be given misinformation either.
Since you brought it up twice....short and sweet.its in the IMO rules, please refer to them and others posts which has discussed this.

Sorry Insure man, I wanted to shown as fact.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #57
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

One thing that I have not mentioned, when you get your lifevest on, make sure you tighten all the straps, and they are not flying around or trailing to be tripped over.

Also if you can, to help another passinger who is having problems would be the proper thing to do, just a hand to hold or a little support could go a long way to help keep someone and traffic moving to the muster stations or open decks.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #58
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
My suggestion is that in an emergency, guests need to shut their mouths and listen to the instructions given by the crew. It seems basic, but....I can't hear if the person next to me is talking or screaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
This should be at the top of the list. This should also be noted and done at the muster drill onboard.
Good point

Also, if the situation allows, a note left on your cabin door letting family know where they can find you. We like the dry erase boards on our cabin door and it would seem like this could save alot of frantic searching in an emergency for both kids and parents.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #59
Brandis
DIS Veteran

I can see why it does make sense not to have passengers wear the lifevests for the drill. If the alarm sounds and you are in the cabin, take it with you by all means, but if not, why waste precious time by going to your cabin (maybe even have to fight the crowd who is trying to get from their cabins to the muster stations) and back if you could get to the muster station much faster and get a vest there.

Same for the rescue routes, often, the fastest way to the muster station will be through crew areas which usually are off limits to guests. Some cruise lines will direct passengers through those areas even at the muster drill while others will insist that they use the regular guest passages for the drill. I'm sure, even in an alarm situation, many guests would again take the longer way since they are not aware that they could use the emergency exits which lead through crew areas.

I have experienced this before at my workplace. There were drills sometimes (but not often enough IMO) and people always used the regular exits to get out of the building, as they were afraid to push the button which unlocks the emergency exits and sounds an alarm. Then, when we had a real emergency, insisted on using the regular exits again, since it was what they always did at the drills and even when the smoke was much heavier from the main stairwell. As I didn't want to argue with people in such a situation, I just went and hit the button to unlock the nearest emergency exit and left that way, most people then followed. But someone has to take the first step.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #60
PaDisneyCouple
DIS Veteran

We bring one of our small dry sacks that we use when kayaking. We can keep items like medication and cell phones in one, secured in the safe. It would be our grab and go bag. They're also brightly colored (red and yellow), which would present something else to use to be seen.

DW also has a Mickey shaped key chain, with a small LED light built in.
10/10 BC Club Level 10-11/11 Dream 4-night & CR 3-night 10/12 Dream 4-night 10/13 Fantasy 7-night Eastern
10/14 Fantasy 7-night Eastern

PaDisneyCouple is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: