Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #31
firsttimemom
DIS Veteran

I want to reiterate the need to check on proper sizing for life jackets. Our DD is small for her age and when she was 12, there was an adult sized life jacket for her in our stateroom. At the drill, a castmember noticed it was huge on her (this was back when you had to wear your life jackets to the drill) and arranged to have a child-sized jacket sent to our cabin. If we had needed to rely on the original jacket, it would have come right off of her.

So parents- please check the fit of the jackets for your kids and make sure they fit!
2006 (CCI) 2008 (RI)

DCL
Wonder: 5/23/04 ~ Magic: 1/22/05 ~ Wonder: 5/10/09 (PCC 1.0) ~ Wonder: 12/12/10 (PCC 2.0) ~ Dream: 4/17/11 ~ Magic Canadian: 6/17/12 ~ Fantasyturkeyfest 11/17/12 ~ Fantasy 4/12/14

firsttimemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #32
SanDeeKath
San Diego Sunshine

One thing I keep hearing over and over again is that some of the staff told the Costa passengers that everything was fine, go back to your room. That's the same thing the 911 survivors repeated frequently too. Some of the fire fighters told them to go back to their offices instead of trying to go down stairs and out of the building.

My take on these emergencies is that to a certain extent, you have to follow your instincts and not necessarily that of a 20 year old crew member telling you everything is fine. If I hear the ship hitting something and then all the lights go out, no way would I head back to my room and "stay there." I would grab the life jackets and get to the muster station OUTSIDE (not in the lounge) as soon as I could. I think common sense has to be used in these situations.

Also, I would never listen to the "ladies and children first" nonsense. In today's day and age, the only people who need to get into lifeboats first are the disabled. Everyone else should stick together as a family. What if we are 200 miles from the nearest coast? I would heavily rely on my husband to help me through the ordeal, both physically and emotionally, especially if I have children. I would never allow some crew member to tell me to go ahead while he stayed behind. This is not the 1940s and there is no reasonable place for this lame, antiquated tradition.

I do pack a small flashlight on all my cruises, but given that I don't even walk around with my keys/cel/money during the actual cruise (just my keycard usually), I normally keep the flashlight in the dresser drawer next to my bed with my meds in the cabin. I figure in case of emergency, there should be enough time to go back to the cabin, grab the life vest and grab the flashlight and meds.

JMHO of course. Katherine

SanDeeKath is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #33
SoCaOC-Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehanna View Post
You can get a good, strong LED flashlight that is smaller than most cell phones. I have one attached to my keychain and I bought it for $5. I've had it for about 3 years and it works like a charm. It goes everywhere my purse does. My husband has one that he carries in his pocket.
As well as mini flash lights, glow sticks are also useful and fun for deck parties at night.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
SoCaOC-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #34
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDeeKath View Post

Also, I would never listen to the "ladies and children first" nonsense. In today's day and age, the only people who need to get into lifeboats first are the disabled. Everyone else should stick together as a family. What if we are 200 miles from the nearest coast? I would heavily rely on my husband to help me through the ordeal, both physically and emotionally, especially if I have children. I would never allow some crew member to tell me to go ahead while he stayed behind. This is not the 1940s and there is no reasonable place for this lame, antiquated tradition.
No one makes you get on the lifeboat. If you want to be the next to the last person off a sinking ship, that is your prerogative.
But if I told my DH that the kids and I were staying with him until he could get on the lifeboat, he'd knock me unconscious and toss me on.

Just wanted to add that extechie rbd/wdt gave the best advice in this thread. Keep your cool and listen to instructions.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #35
cctimmom
Mouseketeer

I know this is a post where I should post tips but I have a question pertaining to an accident similar to what just happened...

What happens when half of the lifeboats, and presumably half of the muster stations are going or already under water?
(maybe there was some time once the ship started keeling to still have the lifeboats board and descended into the water before that side was submerged in water... I have only seen the pics of it fully submerged).

CRUISING HISTORY
2008 - RCCL Enchantment of the Seas (4/24/2008 -- Western: Key West, Cozumel)
2009 - Disney Magic (4/18/2009 -- Western: Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Castaway Cay)
2011 - RCCL Oasis of the Seas (2/19/2011 -- Western: Labadee, Costa Maya, Cozumel)
2011 - Disney Dream (10/9/2011 -- Bahamas: Nassau, Castaway Cay)

2012 - Disney Dream (7/27/2012 -- Bahamas: Castaway Cay, Nassau, Castaway Cay)
2013 - RCCL Adventure of the Seas (4/14/2013 -- Southern: Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, Curacao)
2014 - Disney Wonder (4/2014 -- Bahamas: Castaway Cay, Nassau, Key West)
cctimmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #36
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctimmom View Post
I know this is a post where I should post tips but I have a question pertaining to an accident similar to what just happened...

What happens when half of the lifeboats, and presumably half of the muster stations are going or already under water?
(maybe there was some time once the ship started keeling to still have the lifeboats board and descended into the water before that side was submerged in water... I have only seen the pics of it fully submerged).
There is enough lifeboats and liferaft on each side for 100% of the poeple omboard....

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #37
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
There is enough lifeboats and liferaft on each side for 100% of the poeple omboard....

AKK

I think this thread would be best left to tip's and questions and asnwers rather than people posting comment's about what one would do in the case of an emergency however. I think that is what the OP wanted.

Ex Techie
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #38
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extechie rbd/wdt View Post

I think this thread would be best left to tip's and questions and asnwers rather than people posting comment's about what one would do in the case of an emergency however. I think that is what the OP wanted.

Ex Techie
I'm the OP and really wanted tips on what to do in a shipboard emergency. I was not expecting people to say they would blatantly disregard orders that would affect the safety of themselves or fellow passengers. As to a previous poster about keeping the family intact, if they call a "women and children first" order. I'm thinking her husband would not feel to good about himself if lifeboats were in short supply and he took the place of child that could have been evacuated. Tips will still be welcomed, I really don't want this to be a behavior thread.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #39
Shell54
DIS Veteran

This is an informative thread, but I have a question, why did DCL stop making everyone wear their life preservers to the drill? Do you think in view of the recent tragedy they may reinstate this rule? We were just on our first cruise last summer and I'll be honest we didn't even give much thought to the drill ,except to note that it was very crowded at our muster station. We'll be MUCH more attentive in June.

Disney Magic 8/12

Shell54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #40
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

It was a change in legislation AFAIK brought about by Carnival and others.
It was claimed that too many people hurt themselves tripping over the straps.
I would hope DCL do reinstate it, but who knows.
Additionally, there is nothing to stop you bringing your lifejacket's to the drill and following the CM's instructions practice putting on your lifejacket and making sure it fit's properly.
I would advise everyone to carry them there and then "test fit" them during the drill, but that is just IMO.

Ex Techie
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #41
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Go to the drill.
Pay attention.
Ask questions.
Try on your life jacket.
Know where your muster station is.
Remember the crew is trained on emergency procedures. Listen to them.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #42
When I Grow Up
Mouseketeer

Definitely agree with the PPs. We do have a flashlight by the bedside. (But then we do at home as well). I am not impressed with the drills without the Life Preservers. DCL should re instate this fast.
My Tip... And this works for any Cruise (with or without an Emergency).
It only works for the Dream though.
Where am I? and which way am I going?
Look at the carpet in the passageways and you will see a 5 pointed Star pattern. The single point is always pointing towards the bow of the ship.
Am I Port or Starboard? - Look at the little hooks outside each Stateroom door (where people hang the Fish Extender) on the Dream there is a Seahorse (S for Starboard) and on the other side of the ship is a fish that looks like a Piranha (P for Port).
When I Grow Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #43
annabug
DIS Veteran

Great thread, thank you for all of the safety and information
When emergencies occur, panic ensues
It is most difficult to navigate unfamiliar territory, especially a large vessel, possibly in the dark, my takeaway is stay calm, stay together, be familiar with muster station, and pay attention to crew instructions, try on life jackets
I will now be packing a small led light, also great to have in a room at night
To check on my little ones

As a mother with small children I am planning on reviewing a home safety plan
Thank you all for these most important tips

(me) (DH) (DD) (DS)
annabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #44
DCLSecondChance
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by When I Grow Up View Post
I am not impressed with the drills without the Life Preservers. DCL should re instate this fast.
I am curious as to why you think this way?
DCLSecondChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #45
lexlaw69
Mouseketeer

Last edited by lexlaw69; 01-15-2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: off topic
lexlaw69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: