Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #2656
dragonfanatic
Earning My Ears

We attended a YES class in 2010 and enjoyed it immensly, and were looking forward to doing another on our next visit. Enough has changed that it isn't going to work this time. Hopefully they aren't trying to regulate the interest away from this great program.
dragonfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #2657
familydisney
Mouseketeer

Has anyone gone to the homeschooling days without being a homeschooling family? We are looking at the same late Sept. early October dates as the potential homeschool days. We have done YES twice before but I don't think we would do it again without the steep discount as it keeps us locked out of free dining. For the dsicount, though, we can plan meals ourselves for less and rent DVC but I wouldn't want to be a "poser" at homeschool days. I'm a teacher myself, so I kind of homeschool in the summers...
familydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #2658
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfanatic View Post
We attended a YES class in 2010 and enjoyed it immensly, and were looking forward to doing another on our next visit. Enough has changed that it isn't going to work this time. Hopefully they aren't trying to regulate the interest away from this great program.
Mhmm kind of like th Disney Institute -- they made it so impossible to do anything there that people stopped booking and they determined there wasn't enough interest to keep it open.

I would love to see more of the YES program -- in addition to kids are being home schooled, there are tons of kids every year who go to wdw to attend competitions etc (my DD is one of them) -- she is missing school to be there so I'd like more opportunities for her to continue her studies while she's there. Wish they had a homework club there -- for now we use the business centre at CSR for her to keep up with her classes.

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #2659
My2CrazyGirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcemom View Post
It differs from the YES individual enrollment program in that there is a special presentation offered in addition to the classes. If you opt to take a class in addition to attending the Homeschool Days program, you will need to pay for it. There is a difference in ticket prices.

The Homeschool Days main presentation is for all ages. The classes themselves vary and they're usually posted by grade range rather than age.

Homeschool Days ticket prices (January 2013)

3-Day Home School Days Starter Package $154.75
3-Day Home School Days Hopper Package $175.95
3-Day Home School Days Premium Package $194.31
4-Day Home School Days Starter Package $160.61
4-Day Home School Days Hopper Package $180.73
4-Day Home School Days Premium Package $198.13
5-Day Home School Days Starter Package $172.14
5-Day Home School Days Hopper Package $192.14
5-Day Home School Days Premium Package $209.40
6-Day Home School Days Starter Package $187.13
6-Day Home School Days Hopper Package $206.95
6-Day Home School Days Premium Package $224.06
7-Day Home School Days Starter Package $194.04
7-Day Home School Days Hopper Package $213.80
7-Day Home School Days Premium Package $230.82
8-Day Home School Days Starter Package $199.80
8-Day Home School Days Hopper Package $219.51
8-Day Home School Days Premium Package $236.47

YES Individual Enrollment ticket prices are set up differently now, with the attending child getting a different discount than attending adults and other members of your family.
Good info

Can anyone do homeschool days or do you really have to homeschool? What is the special presentation?

What month did registration open for the January session?

Thanks!
My2CrazyGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #2660
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2CrazyGirls View Post
Good info

Can anyone do homeschool days or do you really have to homeschool? What is the special presentation?

What month did registration open for the January session?

Thanks!
I have heard that anyone can do Homeschool Days, but I don't know firsthand. If you're interested, you could always call and ask.

The special presentation is a theme-based program that is open to everyone who registers, regardless of age/grade. It's not a class, where you go from place to place and participate, with an instructor. It's more of a presentation, or lecture, where you stay in one place, with a larger group/audience. The one we really wanted to attend (but couldn't because our trip was already planned and it didn't fit our dates) was with Ridley Pearson, at the Studios. (He's the author of the Kingdom Keepers book series, for anyone who might not be familiar with him.) I was so disappointed that we missed him!

This past fall, if I recall correctly, it was a presentation on primates, at Animal Kingdom. I think this month's is/was Engineering the Magic, about the role engineering and science play in designing theme park attractions (not sure about that, as I knew we weren't going so I didn't really look into it much).

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #2661
My2CrazyGirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have heard that anyone can do Homeschool Days, but I don't know firsthand. If you're interested, you could always call and ask.

The special presentation is a theme-based program that is open to everyone who registers, regardless of age/grade. It's not a class, where you go from place to place and participate, with an instructor. It's more of a presentation, or lecture, where you stay in one place, with a larger group/audience. The one we really wanted to attend (but couldn't because our trip was already planned and it didn't fit our dates) was with Ridley Pearson, at the Studios. (He's the author of the Kingdom Keepers book series, for anyone who might not be familiar with him.) I was so disappointed that we missed him!

This past fall, if I recall correctly, it was a presentation on primates, at Animal Kingdom. I think this month's is/was Engineering the Magic, about the role engineering and science play in designing theme park attractions (not sure about that, as I knew we weren't going so I didn't really look into it much).
thanks for the info! do they offer several presentation days/times? i can't look it up since it is all sold out. i am interested for next january.
My2CrazyGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #2662
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

It is a one shot deal. If you can't make it you are out of luck.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #2663
beesauce
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know what happens if you miss your class? I'd like to sign my son up for animation class, but he has Asperger's and we have to take things day by day. If he's in meltdown mode that morning, we definitely will not be able to get him to class. If we miss it do we have to pay the difference for the tickets? Will the tickets be voided?
beesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #2664
wendow
DIS Veteran

Is there any reason to believe homeschool days will be in September this year since it seems to be an October deal from previous years?

Looks like since they took the great discounts away from the YES program, Homeschool Days are gonna be the time to go. We actually do homeschool so we can go anytime but we prefer September for the super low crowds.

me , dh , dd14 , dd11 , ds5 , ds3
wendow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #2665
wendow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beesauce View Post
Does anyone know what happens if you miss your class? I'd like to sign my son up for animation class, but he has Asperger's and we have to take things day by day. If he's in meltdown mode that morning, we definitely will not be able to get him to class. If we miss it do we have to pay the difference for the tickets? Will the tickets be voided?
I believe (at least last year), that our Disney YES program info said that they had the right to void your tickets if you did not show up for your class. I have no idea whether they would do that or not. It sounds like maybe people not showing has been a problem and that is why the discount is so much less now

Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #2666
beesauce
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendow View Post
I believe (at least last year), that our Disney YES program info said that they had the right to void your tickets if you did not show up for your class. I have no idea whether they would do that or not. It sounds like maybe people not showing has been a problem and that is why the discount is so much less now
Thanks! I think we'll just skip it then. He'd love the class, but it isn't worth the risk.
beesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #2667
wendow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beesauce View Post
Thanks! I think we'll just skip it then. He'd love the class, but it isn't worth the risk.
I have a special needs kiddo too so I really understand. He isn't quite old enough to take a class yet but not sure I'd put him in one. You never know when a meltdown is coming and the classes are 3 hours long with very few breaks.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #2668
Eljay
DIS Veteran

Location: Lounging around the Royal Assante Suite at the AKL in my leopard pajamas, drinking Champagne! (In my dreams!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendow

I've also heard that they may charge the credit card you have on file, for the full, non-discounted price of the tickets.
Eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #2669
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

So what exactly is the new pricing for the YES IE tickets?

I can see the student tickets on the website, but it seems to want you to go through the whole process of purchasing tickets to get the prices for the chaperone and other family members. (Maybe I'm just missing something)

Just wondering what the difference would be from what we paid last year.

ETA: Ooops... Nevermind. Found it.
I figured I would post and probably get a response before searching through the 178 pages, but it was just a few pages back.

Last edited by tzolkin; 01-17-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: found answer
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #2670
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
YES Individual Enrollment ticket prices (2013)

3 days -- Starter Package / Park Hopper / Premium
Student $171 / 192 / 211
Child $230 / 288 / 310
Attending Adult $248 / 308 / 332
Other adult $243 / 301 / 323

4 days -- Starter Package / Park Hopper / Premium
Student $177 / 197 / 215
Child $243 / 301 / 323
Attending Adult $263 / 323 / 347
Other adult $257 / 315 / 337

5 days -- Starter Package / Park Hopper / Premium
Student $189 / 209 / 226
Child $254 / 312 / 334
Attending Adult $275 / 336 / 360
Other adult $269 / 327 / 349

6 days -- Starter Package / Park Hopper / Premium
Student $204 / 223 / 241
Child $264 / 322 / 345
Attending Adult $286 / 347 / 370
Other adult $279 / 337 / 359

7 days -- Starter Package / Park Hopper / Premium
Student $211 / 230 / 247
Child $274 / 332 / 355
Attending Adult $297 / 357 / 381
Other adult $289 / 347 / 369

8 days -- Starter Package / Park Hopper / Premium
Student $216 / 236 / 253
Child $285 / 343 / 365
Attending Adult $307 / 368 / 392
Other adult $300 / 357 / 379
I'm assuming these prices are including tax?

The non-attending child and adult prices are a few dollars more than the regular ticket prices (which don't include tax).

And it seems odd that they are charging more for the chaperone.

Basically you save about $100 on the child attending the class (I didn't do the math on all, just the 8 day PH). Last August each one of our tickets were $150 less than regular price. (Family of 5, saved close to $800)

At this point it does seem like they're going to wind up doing away with the program. Honestly, I would rather pay a small fee for my kid to take a class than purchase non-refundable, date specific tickets for my entire family while only saving $100. It just doesn't seem worth the cancellation risk and the hassle of arranging your trip around class availability.
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: