Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #2596
wendow
DIS Veteran

Really disappointed to see how small the discount is now for the YES classes. My dd's and I took a class this past September and while it certainly was interesting, it's not something I would do without the hefty discount. It is just too much precious vacation time to give up, a bit of a hassle in getting our tickets and the risk involved with booking tickets that couldn't be changed if you aren't getting much back in return. I priced our same tickets through the YES program for 2013 vs. Undercover Tourist and the YES tickets are about $100 less. We saved almost $500 this past September on our tickets. I'm so thankful we were able to take advantage of the program before they changed their pricing.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #2597
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout
You are so right. it was available. In general, homeschoolers don't roll in quite the same manner as school groups, but it was available to those that do.
Exactly. That was what I was trying to say.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #2598
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendow View Post
the risk involved with booking tickets that couldn't be changed
This is one of the things that loomed larger for us with the price change. We like having the ability to add park days while in Orlando. Still, our major concern was paying for the park days and then not being able to get to the class due to weather or health issues (the one we were most interested in was the first day we'd be in Orlando -- in January...), and then that ticket money is gone! Or if the delay wasn't for the whole vacation, but you missed your class, you'd have to pay Disney's regular cost, I think it is, but if my tickets won't expire until activated I don't have to worry about it at all. Saving a good chunk of cash justifies a bit of fretting, but at this point I'd rather have regular tickets and no worries.

Apparently it's not too difficult to get some of the paid-for tours while you're there, if so inclined -- Behind the Seeds is one people report being able to sign up for the day of -- so we're thinking we might go that route. Or maybe we'll actually commit to one ahead of time.

Some of the paid-for classes are pretty schedule-inflexible, too (the trains one is always way early), but some are offered throughout the day; and some of them pretty pricey (Dolphins -- which is on par for most places offering that sort of thing, actually), but $60-$70/person is most common, I think, while Behind the Seeds is considerably less (around $20. IIRC). So if the idea of classes at Disney sounds good, but the Y.E.S. program isn't as appealing as it once was, that may be another option for some.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #2599
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Behind the seeds is a great tour.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #2600
5by5
Mouseketeer

I know the discount has been severely reduced but I think it is still worthwhile if you: have 4 or more people, are buying longer multi-day tix, and getting Premium tix. Granted, that narrows it down a bit!

For example, a family of 2A and 4C(all over age 14, parents not attending class), buying 6 day Premium passes, would save the following:

UT 6 * $366 = $2,196
YES (2 * $359) + (4 * $241) = $1,682
Savings of $514

Did I miss anything?

Tony
5by5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #2601
houseful of boys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5by5
I know the discount has been severely reduced but I think it is still worthwhile if you: have 4 or more people, are buying longer multi-day tix, and getting Premium tix. Granted, that narrows it down a bit!

For example, a family of 2A and 4C(all over age 14, parents not attending class), buying 6 day Premium passes, would save the following:

UT 6 * $366 = $2,196
Savings of $514

Did I miss anything?

Tony
I have a family of 6. 4 adult tickets and 2 children. Last year I was able to save about $900 on premium tickets through the YES program. This year I will save between $400-$500. Not as great of a savings but still worth it to my family. And we think its special to have an opportunity to take the classes. But we are going for 9 nights so will have the time to spare from our regular touring. I'm thankful for the program because it works for us. However, I agree it works best for families with "Disney adult" children who are going to be there longer than 5 days.

houseful of boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #2602
wesjohnson
Earning My Ears

Nope, you are exactly right. We are a family of 6 (2 adults, 4 kids) and we paid for the YES program the day the prices were released for Jan, 2013. We got premium tickets, 8 days, for all six of us and we saved about $500. We did it two years ago and saved about $1000, so the discount is definitely less. But, still better than anywhere else...and, all four of my kids will get to do a something out of the ordinary at Disney.

Disney is expensive. For a large family it is very expensive. So, I am thankful for the the savings and the opportunity to go to the class. Smaller families won't save much.
wesjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #2603
shalom
DIS Veteran

Agreed. If you compare it to the regular cost of tickets or to most legitimate discounters, it's a good deal for most and a great deal for larger families. And that's the right way to look at it, IMHO -- all discounts are temporary in some sense, so should be compared to the original price instead of former discounts. Practically the only other way for individuals to get that deep a discount on Disney tickets is to sit through a Timeshare presentation! So I'm glad Disney continues to offer a good discount for Y.E.S. tickets.

Still a bit of a shock to the system when you're in the habit of working with the earlier discount, though.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #2604
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5by5 View Post

UT 6 * $366 = $2,196
Savings of $514

Did I miss anything?

Tony
You got it right!

There are usually only two in my family going -- DD (10) and I -- so not as much of a savings for us.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #2605
crhbrault
Always planning my next trip to the Mouse House!

I am new to homeschooling this year and in doing some research, learned that not only does Disney offer homeschooling times but this YES program as well - in pricing it out for my family of 2 adults, a teen and a child, it looks like we will save about $100 per person over a 5 day period AND get to take a class. Not sure how great the discount was before, but I'm pretty happy with this - we are going in Feb., and combining it with the room-only discount and going to a value resort that will cost us almost exactly what we save in ticket price - so for the price of "regular" tickets, we get a class, 5 days in the park, and our room. Maybe there used to be a better discount,but I'm pretty stoked, to be honest.

Of those who have taken classes recently, I saw some comments about "boring" ones - my DS (16) actually wants to add a 2nd class on! - and we are looking at: Exploring Disney Animation History for both the DS and DD (9), and then adding Properties of Motion Physics Lab 301 for DS. Anyone at all familiar with these (I don't know how often classes change)

Any advice for a first-time YES attnedee family would be appreciated. Read through the first few pages of this thread as well as the last several, to get a better idea of what we have in store for us!
Offsite (Indian Creek, in a great vacation home): 09/2011
POP bound in Feb, 2013!

crhbrault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #2606
eeyorepixie
AKA Queenie

TIA

Nevermind, I answered my own question

Last edited by eeyorepixie; 12-27-2012 at 05:36 PM.
eeyorepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #2607
ssiskremax
Can't get enough of Micket

Prices for YES Program

I'm trying to find the 2013 rates for the YES program but cannot seem to find them. Am reading posts that the prices have been increased considerably. Doesn't surprise me! Knew it was too good to be true when we booked this past fall. So stinking cheap. Have never enjoyed Disney as much as we did with the hopper pass, Disney Quest, water parks, etc. So doesn't surprise me they have pulled back. Can anyone please tell me where I can go to find the current information. Am looking for individual not group pricing. Thanks!!!!
ssiskremax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #2608
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiskremax View Post
I'm trying to find the 2013 rates for the YES program but cannot seem to find them. Am reading posts that the prices have been increased considerably. Doesn't surprise me! Knew it was too good to be true when we booked this past fall. So stinking cheap. Have never enjoyed Disney as much as we did with the hopper pass, Disney Quest, water parks, etc. So doesn't surprise me they have pulled back. Can anyone please tell me where I can go to find the current information. Am looking for individual not group pricing. Thanks!!!!
I don't think you can access the prices without at least going through the motions of selecting a class, etc.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #2609
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

We're looking into possibly doing a YES program (in 2014). Our kids will be 11 and 9 at the time. DH and I will have AP's and my parents will be joining us on the trip. My question is...if we must buy adult tickets for the YES classes (because the kids will need chaperones) can I buy them for my parents? I assume that won't be a problem...but then is there any leeway for which adult accompanies the child to the class? I doubt my parents would want to chaperone (well, my dad might love it!) but I don't want to buy tickets for DH and I since we will already have our AP's.

Any insight??? (I know a lot can change between now and then so I'm just curious how it works right now)

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #2610
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenrice View Post
We're looking into possibly doing a YES program (in 2014). Our kids will be 11 and 9 at the time. DH and I will have AP's and my parents will be joining us on the trip. My question is...if we must buy adult tickets for the YES classes (because the kids will need chaperones) can I buy them for my parents? I assume that won't be a problem...but then is there any leeway for which adult accompanies the child to the class? I doubt my parents would want to chaperone (well, my dad might love it!) but I don't want to buy tickets for DH and I since we will already have our AP's.

Any insight??? (I know a lot can change between now and then so I'm just curious how it works right now)
I'm not sure if it's changed since September, but at that time our tickets did not have names on them. If that's still the case, I don't see any reason you couldn't buy the adult tickets and give them to your parents instead of using them yourself. Just put your name down as the chaperone. I'm sure someone here will chime in and let us know if anything has changed in that respect.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: