Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #2581
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

If they were to change the purchase rules then they would have to deal with classes opening and closing, filling etc.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #2582
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

I imagine the high dollar classes and tours are more personalized and engaging than these classes. The first one my son took was boring to him and my nephews. It had an 8-15 year age range and my BIL said it was geared more towards the younger kids. Last year, he said the class was a little better, but mainly because they got to ride Space mountain before the park opened. They separated him and his friend into different groups, which kind of made it not as fun. They had been looking forward to doing it together.

I second the hope that they will remove the non-refundable deal on the tickets. It is a risk otherwise and the discount is not as much now, so the risk may not be worth it.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #2583
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

I don't get that people want disney to pay them to take a class.

In fact people are complaining about a class that disney paid them around $150 per person to take Depending upon ticket selection!

Last edited by Granny square; 11-22-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #2584
MickeyP
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
Disney charged really high fees for the classes they had with the disney institute. It is a privilege to take these classes. Unfortunately some people saw them as a discount program rathe than an opportunity.
I have to disagree about the "privilege" part. I couldn't believe how long it was for a class that was meant for 6 year olds. She kept losing their attention and it was so hot out that they started to get cranky.
MickeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #2585
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

You didn't read that it was a three hour class?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #2586
cel_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square
I think that this is a little unfair. Everyone knows that it's a 3 hr class - but most 3 hr experiences I have had in my 20 years of schooling are not in the 90 degree heat with o place to sit, with people I don't know, and no bathroom breaks.

We enjoyed our class this year and would definitely take another one but I think you are being a bit unfair to this poster. It's well documented here that much like college - some instructors and some curriculums are better than others.

With the pricing structure change, I think that we will be more choosy on the classes we sign up for - only doing it if its one that 'fits' us - our interests and our vacation. To me, that will be the big change between this year and the future.

One thing I am surprised about s that they charge for the chaperone to attend the class. Maybe it's different in other classes but that seems odd to me as chaperones really got nothing from the class we took in September. It's not like they are included in the activities?
cel_disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #2587
MickeyP
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I absolutely did. However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know when kids have had enough "learning". I also agree with cel_disney, an instructor can make or break the experience.
MickeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #2588
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

A three hour class for six year olds with no break? I have never been in any kind of class without some kind of break after about 90 minutes. Not in college, not in professional training. Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:54 AM   #2589
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

You knew going into it that it was a three hour class. If your child wasn't up to it you shouldn't have signed up.

We just took a restroom break when we needed one. No big deal.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:09 AM   #2590
gerberdaisy1234
DIS Veteran

Ugh! Really? Give it a break already!

Try something like HAPPY THANKSGIVING for a change!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
gerberdaisy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #2591
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Lol, chill. Just saying enjoy life and go pee when you gotta.

Happy thanksgiving to you too.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #2592
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcemom View Post
I'm not so sure I consider them a privilege.
I don't agree with the term privilege, either. It was a great opportunity; it's still a good one, if it's a good fit for a particular family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcemom View Post
We've taken two classes. One was okay, the other was downright boring.
The classes have gotten pretty mixed reviews, seems to me. All the ones I've looked into, anyhow, pretty even split between those who enjoyed it and those who were bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel_disney View Post
With the pricing structure change, I think that we will be more choosy on the classes we sign up for - only doing it if its one that 'fits' us - our interests and our vacation. To me, that will be the big change between this year and the future.
Yah, that's kind of where we're at. This time there wasn't anything that fit our schedule, so I decided against it -- at the former price, I would have been more willing to fiddle with our schedule to fit it around the class instead of wanting the class to fit my schedule.

With the mixed reviews and lower discount, the potential time cost is too high for me. A three hour class the kids enjoy is one thing; three hours out of their park day for a class they find boring is quite another. I thought the former discount was terrific, but at this point I kind of wish we could just pay fifty bucks a class and feel free to bail if my child's bored an hour and a half in.

To be honest, when I first read up on the former discount, I kind of wished we could just pay for the class in the first place, so I guess that's always been in the back of my mind. Maybe I never was a good bet for the Y.E.S. program.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #2593
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

I saw/see it as a privilege because it was an opportunity that we as homeschoolers couldn't be a part of. I like learning and my kids do too. I liked Epcot the best when it first opened, took be walking behind the seeds tour every year, etc. it is just the way we are wired. So where some are losing 3 hours, we are gaining an experience. How many people like us lost out on a class because the people who were just putting in time or not even bothering to put in the time signed up for a discount.

So, maybe with the changes the priorities will straighten themselves out and the people who actually want to learn an participate will be allowed the privilege to do so, and the others can look for other bargains.
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #2594
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I saw/see it as a privilege because it was an opportunity that we as homeschoolers couldn't be a part of.
If I remember rightly, it was always available to homeschoolers who were in a large enough group. We are not big joiners, but I still know of two local homeschool groups that would qualify, and enough fellow homeschoolers to make up a group large enough to go. So I don't think Disney ever privileged public or private schoolers over homeschoolers.

I do agree that individual enrollment makes it a lot easier for homeschoolers in some ways.; OTOH, enrolling as a group gives you more control over when the class is scheduled, so it depends on what aspects are most important to someone.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #2595
Burnedout
Proud mom of a marine recruit:)

You are so right. it was available. In general, homeschoolers don't roll in quite the same manner as school groups, but it was available to those that do.

It is what it is.
Burnedout is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: