Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #2506
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenrice View Post
I want to make sure that I understand this correctly...

DH and I are planning to have AP's for our next trip, but the children will not. So, if the kid's are going to participate in the YES program (and therefore require tickets), we will still need to purchase a minimum of a 1-day ticket for DH and I since we will need to chaperone the kids, correct? I don't see an option for a parent to purchase just a ticket for the class if they already have park admission.

I know that the children still need to purchase a park admission ticket to take the class since AP's don't apply, but I am wondering about the adult chaperone. When we go, my kids will be 12 and 10. Would we be better off only having one adult listed since our 12yo will be able to go unaccompanied?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm really new to this and I think this is something the girls would really like. We are DVC members and go almost annually. I make it a goal to do something new every trip. The way my kids love animals, I think the marine and animal classes will be right up their alley!
Not sure how the adult ticket thing works with AP's - but you will have to chaparone both of your children.

https://www.studentguest.com/homeschooldays/index.php

Students under the age of 13 must be accompanied in the program by an adult. Students age 13 and up may attend a program without an adult, but must be signed in by an adult.

DL & WDW * FW Cabin 3x * AKL CL 2x * Poly CL * CR CL * AKL Savannah * POFQ * POR

Lehuaann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #2507
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

If someone knows of information re: Kingdom Keepers can you PM me. I have some questions. I did send Disney a question but I know the correct information can be found here. Thanks.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #2508
amylynne01
DIS Veteran

This isn't exactly a huge cost savings for us anymore. 5 day base tickets for our family is 1035 through Mouse Savers/Under Cover Tourist. 5 day base tickets through YES are 988. Not worth the loss of rope drop at MK for a class. I think I'll skip the YES class which is sad because I was excited about it for DD.
12/2011 SSR with no kids for our 5yr anniversary
1/2013 BLT for our first trip as a family of 5
8/2015 FW? Family reunion with my parents, sisters, and kids
12/2016 Poly? Celebrating our 10yr anniversary with our kids
amylynne01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #2509
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynne01 View Post
This isn't exactly a huge cost savings for us anymore. 5 day base tickets for our family is 1035 through Mouse Savers/Under Cover Tourist. 5 day base tickets through YES are 988. Not worth the loss of rope drop at MK for a class. I think I'll skip the YES class which is sad because I was excited about it for DD.
Same with us. We were lucky enough to get FD but were considering offsite in a condo if we got YES tickets. I guess this makes the decision for us. The kids were looking forward to doing one of the classes, but the higher cost and inflexibility of the tickets is definately not worth it.

At least now I can plan knowing 100% where we will be at!

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #2510
snubie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoreds View Post
Are you staying at a MK resort? If not, you will be heading through TTC, right?
We are staying at port Orleans. The bus drops us off right at the MK gates, not TTC.
April 1985 Poly,May 2004 POFQ,Sept 2007 ASMU,Jan 2008 ASMU,May 2009 CBR,Jan 2011 POP - disboutiquers meet, Jan 2013 POR
snubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #2511
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoreds View Post
Disney Homeschool Days are advertised primarily to homeschool groups because of the timing of the events (during the school year). ALL children (homeschool, e-school, standard schools) are permitted/invited to attend the events. I was told this a month ago when calling the YES group for information.
So I am confused as what the difference is btwn homeschool program and the IE program. Can someone pls clarify?
My DD12 does online school...does that count as homeschool?
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC

disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #2512
DawnM
Dawn

Well, since you don't need to prove you HS, you can decide that for yourself.

I think this is one reason they don't make you prove it, there are so many different ways to HS. In our state, if you go to school part time or you cyber school through the PS system, you are not considered a HSer according to the state.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymagicgirl View Post
So I am confused as what the difference is btwn homeschool program and the IE program. Can someone pls clarify?
My DD12 does online school...does that count as homeschool?

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #2513
DawnM
Dawn

He HS YES tickets are the 3rd week of January. You go the 2nd week through the first week of Feb? The HS tickets are good then.

I am with you. I wish they would make people prove they HS. Of course, that would mean I need to FIND my HS card! In our state, you get one card the first year you HS and you don't get another unless you stop HSing and re-register.....so my HS card would have a different year on it.

Some states don't even have any proof to show.....

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
No. :/ we go the second week of jan through first week of feb. and yep the hs are cheaper. Eh, such is life.

I'm glad that they opened these up at least! I'm just sad when people exploit a good thing, and the good thing is affected.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #2514
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
Well, since you don't need to prove you HS, you can decide that for yourself.

I think this is one reason they don't make you prove it, there are so many different ways to HS. In our state, if you go to school part time or you cyber school through the PS system, you are not considered a HSer according to the state.
And in some states, there are no registration or reporting requirements so there really isn't proof available to be shown. We homeschooled for a few years but never had any card/registration info or anything like that - Michigan doesn't have any legal authorization/monitoring and the co-op we belonged to didn't issue membership cards (though I know some that do, so that the kids have student ID for various discounts and offers that require it).

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #2515
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
If someone knows of information re: Kingdom Keepers can you PM me. I have some questions. I did send Disney a question but I know the correct information can be found here. Thanks.
You mean the Kingdom Keepers Quest listed on the YES site? It is only available to groups of 10 or more but is pretty cool - we got the materials through last year's Homeschool Days seminar but ran out of time before actually following it all the way through. I have the packet here on my desk if there's anything specific you want to know.

My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Old 11-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #2516
susan137
DIS Veteran

Are the Homeschool days classes offered twice a year? Jan & ??

We do hs, so I'd love for my DS to take the class. We just can't do January.

Susan
susan137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #2517
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflmaster View Post
I am guessing home school day is only for children that are home schooled, but I can't find what proof is necessary.

How does disney prove that my kids are home schooled?
They don't require proof and while the registration is billed as Homeschool Days there were also school groups at the event we attended this past January.

I contacted Disney to inquire about the specifics and was told that individuals can only register for the event through the HSD portal but that no documentation is needed. The woman I spoke to stopped short of outright saying "We don't care if you're homeschoolers or not" but certainly gave that impression. Of course, that might change now that HSD tickets are cheaper than the rest of the individual enrollment choices - when we were there the only difference was that HSD included the seminar (which was Ridley Pearson, author of the Kingdom Keepers books and one of DD11's favorite writers) but if we registered for IE she could take the class but not attend the presentation.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #2518
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan137 View Post
Are the Homeschool days classes offered twice a year? Jan & ??

We do hs, so I'd love for my DS to take the class. We just can't do January.

Susan
Jan & Oct.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #2519
susan137
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
Jan & Oct.
Thanks so much for your quick response!

October is much better for us. Anyone know if it is normally early, mid or late October. My OCD planning is in full gear
susan137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #2520
HayGan
We could all use some pixie dust now and then :)
Papa Smurf Oh Papa Smurf!

Location: Steeler Country - PA!!!! Home of the World Champion PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyStitch
I ran the numbers for my family and if I purchase DVC annual passes using Disney gift cards from Giant Eagle with double fuel perks, it only costs me about 100.00 more and I don't have to get my night children up for classes. I'm kind of excited to be getting my first annual pass. Now to see how to squeeze that extra trip in. Lol just what Disney wants me to do.
Have you looked at the numbers for the premium AP for DVC that is being offered thru the end of the year? (I'm not sure if we can use the gc's to pay for those or not. If so I'll be doing the Giant Eagle thing as well!). You can get it as a voucher that has to be activated by the end of next yer. I think that is what we will be doing instead of the YES program for 2013.

Since you haven't had an AP before here's a word of caution. Having APs and DVC make it far more likely that you will try and schedule more than 1 trip to take advantage of those APs! I know I am already looking at Thanksgiving time next year to take advantage of ours

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Next up:
Girls Only B-Day trip for F&WF - Oct. 2013, Turkey Day & 1st cruise! Nov/Dec. 2013
, Key West & BCV for the first time!!! May 2014
HayGan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: