Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #2476
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

We couldn't get the homeschool tickets because we arrive too early.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #2477
mlg32
Mouseketeer
Oh my God the red rainboots!!

I think the only way it's worth it for us is getting the waterpark package but ehh. Not sure I want the hassle of it just for waterparks. I do think its a good deal if you have young enough children to participate. I only have one that qualifies as a 9 and under attending child. Bummer.

BWI June 2014
AKL /Captiva Island June 2013
POR/Poly August 2012 Celebrating DDs 7th Birthday!
AKL Dec 2011
BC Nov 2010
BC April 2010
GF Dec 2008
Poly/BC Jul-Aug 2007
Poly May 2006
Poly May 2005
AKL Aug 2004
mlg32 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #2478
wesjohnson
Earning My Ears

Just purchased 6 tickets; four kids and two adults. About $400 more expensive than two years ago. Still saved about $500 of gate price. Thanks for posting when this went live.
wesjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #2479
pigget74
DVC Beach Club Villas

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoreds View Post
6 Students and 4 adults in the fine print. The deep discount around $100/ticket is only for the student attending the class. The adult prices are just a little below Undercover Tourist.

I'm frustrated because we are arriving at noon via plane on Homeschool Day, so can't take advantage of the deeper discounts by only a couple of hours...but still pleased with some sort of discount and a cool educational opportunity for my kiddo.
If I gor my 15 to go to a class--would that make her ticket cheaper?

I wish that it was possible for me and my DH to take the kids---wondering how that would work. Could I sign up with kid and let him sign up with the other--so we could both get the ticket discount--or are there no discounts for th adults? This is so confusing!
June 2009--Kidani Animal Kingdom March 2011--Kidani Village Animal Kingdom May 2013 --Beach Club Villas Graduation Trip
(19) (16) (8) (6)
pigget74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #2480
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

It is cheaper for him NOT to take the class. They charge extra for it. I almost sent my teens without me.

It cost $12 extra for the attending adult

And yes. Sent the 15 year old.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #2481
At World's End
DIS Veteran

Wow, we got lucky and or trip coincides perfectly with the Homeschool Days ticket dates. Saved us $628 for our group. I'm sad that the prices have changed so much. This makes free dining more attractive.

At World's End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #2482
kellia
DIS Veteran

Homeschool Days isn't open enrollment, is it? Don't you need proof of being homeschool?

Very disappointed, it's a bit more than I was planning on, but I guess still cheaper than Undercover Tourist for all of us. Not sure that Harry Potter will be in this trip now, though.

There is only 1 class that dd(17) can go to. She'd been hoping for animation or one of the marine/ocean classes. I don't think she's going to be thrilled with Properties of Motion or the 7:15am time. Has anyone done Properties of Motion? Are the older kids with the younger kids? If so, I guess I should just sign all 3 up so at least we're together.

Darn, my 9 year olds were all excited for how things move. I thought they'd be able to go since it said "elementary". Oh, well, we're going to Disney, no one better complain!
kellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #2483
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Unfortunately no, you don't have to prove you are a Homeschooler. If that had been the rule then maybe it wouldn't have gone so haywire they had to amp up rules and costs.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #2484
Walt(the man)Lover
Earning My Ears

My husband doesn't think the discount outweighs the inflexibility of the tickets; i.e. inability to cancel and, from what I understand, paper tickets instead of the plastic ticket/key card. Since our kids are young, there will hopefully be more chances to benefit from the classes in the future. Sad I spent so much energy waiting and checking the website. Ugh, the pains of WDW planning. I wouldn't change a minute of it!
Old 11-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #2485
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
Unfortunately no, you don't have to prove you are a Homeschooler. If that had been the rule then maybe it wouldn't have gone so haywire they had to amp up rules and costs.
Hi, I'm just wondering about your statement that people abusing the system is what caused the price changes. Is this something that you have experienced (seen people abusing the system?) Or did someone at Disney or Youth Services indicate to you that they were raising the prices due to abuse of the system? I'm just curious because I haven't seen that opinion from anywhere else.

My theory is that offering the "group" discounts to families for individual enrollment is a relatively new thing, and like anything else once Disney realized how popular it was and how great a "deal" it was they raised the price of it, pretty much like they do with everything else . It seems to me that anything that is a "great deal" at Disney doesn't stay that way very long, as Disney decides to capitalize on its popularity and raise the prices.

I'm just really happy they offer the group programs to individuals at all, in fact I'm surprised that they ever decided to expand it from the original school groups it was created for in the first place. Happy, but surprised.

Just my thoughts.

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #2486
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
How did not having to prove homeschooling affect prices for individual enrollment? Individual enrollment is open to everyone.

Now, if administration costs due to people getting the tickets and then not showing up to the class was high, I'd accept it. But I really don't see what the homeschool issue is.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #2487
Girschle
Earning My Ears

As I'm going through the order process it doesn't tell me how many fun days I get with the premium package. Does anyone know if you order the 5 day do you get 5 fun day tickets but if you order the 8 day you get 8 fun day tickets?
Girschle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #2488
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know how early the park ticket windows open up? We are not arriving until very late the night before our 7:45 am class. I refuse to start stressing about this I'm sure others have had the same experience. TIA
eeyoresmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #2489
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

I want to make sure that I understand this correctly...

DH and I are planning to have AP's for our next trip, but the children will not. So, if the kid's are going to participate in the YES program (and therefore require tickets), we will still need to purchase a minimum of a 1-day ticket for DH and I since we will need to chaperone the kids, correct? I don't see an option for a parent to purchase just a ticket for the class if they already have park admission.

I know that the children still need to purchase a park admission ticket to take the class since AP's don't apply, but I am wondering about the adult chaperone. When we go, my kids will be 12 and 10. Would we be better off only having one adult listed since our 12yo will be able to go unaccompanied?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm really new to this and I think this is something the girls would really like. We are DVC members and go almost annually. I make it a goal to do something new every trip. The way my kids love animals, I think the marine and animal classes will be right up their alley!

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #2490
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

I'd just register one adult, since your 12 year old can go alone.

We picked up a ticket at 8:am last year. So the ticket ofc was open then.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: