Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #2176
alex9179
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyorepixie View Post
Is this the first year for individual enrollment in the YES program?

I just want to know because I really would like to do this for July 2013?
No, it's been offered for a few years, now. They have an excellent response to the programs so I would hope they would continue to offer it!
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #2177
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Says View Post
DS9 and I attended Disney's Ocean Discoveries this week. He doesn't have any particular interest in marine studies- this class just fit our schedule, to be honest. That said, he had a great time! The class is almost entirely indoors, which was a huge plus for us. We were split into separate groups, ours had 17 people total- kids and adults.

The kids learned mostly about sea turtles and how to protect them. They discussed fishing nets and made and presented their own (mini) fishing nets, and sorted marbles picked up in a net to show how few fish we keep and how many others get caught in the net.

They played a game where the kids were sea turtles and parents were predators or other items dangerous to them (litter, for example). Then they learned about how sea turtles eat and used chopsticks and chickpeas to bring that point home (sea turtles are opportunistic feeders, the chopsticks made it so it was harder to pick up the chickpeas). Then we rode Nemo.

After Nemo, we checked out the manatees and then discussed the "Food Web" (as opposed to the food chain, to show how everything is intertwined). There was also a portion of the class where we got a list of fish in the aquarium and checked them off as we saw them, and then the kids had a little quiz where they identified them from pictures.

DS9 loved it and said he would gladly take another class in the future. I hope that helps anyone considering this class!

Thank you for sharing your experience with this class. My oldest two children would love a class like this as they are fascinated with marine life. I hope this class is offered again next year. We are planning an August trip at this point.
2Pirates2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #2178
neatokimmo
DIS Veteran

I am going to have to start scanning this thread now! DD is begging for a trip and is finally old enough for a YES class. Do they ever run class in April? Her spring break is the first week. Or should I prepare her for next Oct? Her fall break is normally the second week.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #2179
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatokimmo View Post
I am going to have to start scanning this thread now! DD is begging for a trip and is finally old enough for a YES class. Do they ever run class in April? Her spring break is the first week. Or should I prepare her for next Oct? Her fall break is normally the second week.
Classes are currently offered in January, February, and June-October, so I would prepare her for an October trip.
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #2180
KibbyCat
DIS Veteran

Captivating Moments: class re-cap

My daughter and I took the Sept 21st Captivating Moments class at EPCOT.

There are about 32 people (students and parents) split into two groups. We were in the second group, led by YES instructor Jimmy. He was funny, engaging, and interesting, although I did notice a few of the younger end of the age range had to be re-directed a few times when they got distracted.

The first thing we did was look at the "Leave a Legacy" display in front of EPCOT, where Jimmy talked to us about how guests had the opportunity around the turn-of-the-century to purchase a spot on the stone panels and have their photo or words engraved. This began the lecture on how photos can be used to tell a story.

Then, we rode Spaceship Earth and got a glimpse into the meaning behind the Imagineers' choices for scenes on the ride.

Next, we learned some of the basic techniques of photography and got our first photo assignment. Each student had their own digital camera, which was used to take photos and show them to the class during the discussion. We played a game to figure out which technique best matched each sample photo then got a turn to try something out on our own.

The next photo assignment was called "Keep or Delete" - a real-life scenario which involved the dilemma many tourists face when taking photos at Disney: you have limited camera card space and have to delete some photos to make room for others. We had to take two stock photos of similar people/scenes/etc. and decide which was worthy of keeping and which had to be deleted. Then we discussed why we'd keep or delete it.

The third assignment had to do with captioning. Jimmy showed us some stock photos with captions and we discussed how the right words can help tell the photographer's story by capturing emotion or giving important details. We were given a photo and had to write our own caption.

The final assignment included a scavenger hunt. We were given a small, cropped in sample of a larger image located somewhere within EPCOT. We had to find the bigger picture and take a photo of it, with the members of our teams included, then write our own caption to go with it.

It was a very fun, interesting class that would be good for amateurs or semi-professional photographers. Some students had very fancy digital SLR cameras, while others had modest, cheap, point-and-shoot cameras. But by the end of the three hours (which passed VERY quickly, in my opinion), everyone could walk away with a proficient knowledge of how to use their camera to tell a story and leave lasting memories.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #2181
KibbyCat
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=bababear_50;45991074]For Julianna and Katrina

Hugs Mel

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

How did you make this? Would love to re-create something like this for my daughter.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #2182
neatokimmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcthree View Post
Classes are currently offered in January, February, and June-October, so I would prepare her for an October trip.
Thank you! I prefer Oct myself so I will just tell her Fall break
Old 09-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #2183
Mirax
Mouseketeer

KibbyCat, Thank You! The review will help me prepare my 12 year old for the class in October.
Mirax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #2184
julirina
Close your mouth, Michael. We are not a codfish.

Kibbycat -- thank you for the thorough review of Captivating Moments -- my dd12 is taking it tomorrow!

julirina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #2185
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Says View Post
DS9 and I attended Disney's Ocean Discoveries this week. He doesn't have any particular interest in marine studies- this class just fit our schedule, to be honest. That said, he had a great time! The class is almost entirely indoors, which was a huge plus for us. We were split into separate groups, ours had 17 people total- kids and adults.

The kids learned mostly about sea turtles and how to protect them. They discussed fishing nets and made and presented their own (mini) fishing nets, and sorted marbles picked up in a net to show how few fish we keep and how many others get caught in the net.

They played a game where the kids were sea turtles and parents were predators or other items dangerous to them (litter, for example). Then they learned about how sea turtles eat and used chopsticks and chickpeas to bring that point home (sea turtles are opportunistic feeders, the chopsticks made it so it was harder to pick up the chickpeas). Then we rode Nemo.

After Nemo, we checked out the manatees and then discussed the "Food Web" (as opposed to the food chain, to show how everything is intertwined). There was also a portion of the class where we got a list of fish in the aquarium and checked them off as we saw them, and then the kids had a little quiz where they identified them from pictures.

DS9 loved it and said he would gladly take another class in the future. I hope that helps anyone considering this class!
Thank you! DD and DS are taking this class on the 17th of this month and I hadn't seen a review of it yet.

We got our confirmation today!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #2186
aksunshine
DIS Veteran

Anyone know if February is open? TIA!!
aksunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #2187
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Anyone know if they usually offer Feb classes during President's week?

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #2188
Aunt Stepody
Mouseketeer

You guys are right, I just talked to Dave from the Y.E.S. program. He is SUPER nice!

I just called him to see if I might be able to "squeeze" my 13 yr old into the Production Arts class on Oct 17th. But no such luck.

Oh well, maybe next time. We're still excited to be going for a last minute trip though.
Aunt Stepody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #2189
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

Subscribing...hoping for January classes.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #2190
nan1217
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenT View Post
Anyone know if they usually offer Feb classes during President's week?
Here's a list of classes offered previously so you can check out President's week. http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...46&postcount=1

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: