Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #2056
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

I know that in a couple of classes people chose not to ride. I didn't mean to offend you. I make he mistake of thinking out loud sometimes. I'm sorry. My bias is to help people change their negative cognitive stuff and I forget I'm not at work!
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #2057
PatchPixie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeo View Post
I wrote a review last fall, I'll cut and paste it below. I have heard mixed reviews of the class, but my kids loved it!

Here's a mini-review of the Synergy In Science class. My kids were 6 and 8 at the time. When we arrived at the will call window to start the class, there were coordinators there separating families out, and she clearly tried to group by ages. There were 8 kids in our group, and my 8 yr old son was clearly the oldest. (The age limit for this class is 6 - 11 I think - and it looked like the other group had older kids in it.)

We stopped inside the gates and learned about synergy, played with tinker toys and talked about how they built spaceship earth. Then we rode spaceship earth. Then we talked about 3D and watched Captain EO (the actual show was probably the low point of the class - the kids had no idea who Michael Jackson was and the movie was really dated.) But afterwards the instructor did a great demonstration of how 3D worked and it really got the kids interested. Then did Journey into Imagination with Figment (which I know gets mixed reviews, but my kids liked it so much, we had to go back and do it again later in the trip!). We finished off by talking about everything and the kids did a puzzle together.

My kids list it everytime someone asks them their favorite things about Disney - and we were there for 7 days, so it really sticks out for them! All of the conversations clearly were geared for a younger group, but I can't say if that's because our group was younger, or if the class is always like that.

Hope this helps,
Gina
Thank you, Gina! This is just what I was hoping for. My husband is planning to accompany my daughter to the class and I just wondered what it would be like. I think she'll really enjoy it. She loves Spaceship Earth and Figment. We've never done the Captain EO show, but she loves to dance to MJ, so that will be cool. My youngest daughter can't see in 3D, so thats cool that my older daughter and her dad can see it together I'm glad they grouped the younger kids with each other, hope that happens again. My daughter is only 6 and may be intimidated if its all older kiddos. I really do appreciate your time, Gina. Thanks, again!

HayGan, We'll see you in about a month, then!

Always missing the mouse...
Several childhood trips
Saratoga Springs: December 2007
Wilderness Lodge: December 2011
Dolphin/AoA LM: October 2012
Planning for December 2014!!

PatchPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #2058
ShortStuff
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWannaBeAPrincess View Post
Oddly enough, I agree with your criticism!! However, this isn't the only irrational fear she has, so I've learned to tolerate them. There are many, and either she is going to have to toughen herself up and face her fears or she is going to face a lifetime of anxiety issues. I was just posting about what to do in Grand Cayman on cruise critic. (we're going on the fantasy the week before Disney) She recently got over her fear of flying bugs. It lasted almost 2 years after being stung by a wasp. She would scream and run at the sight of any flying bug, including gnats. It was very frustrating. This summer she went to church camp (no fear of that) and they had a big lake with water toys. We live on a lake, so she was fine with it. Until she was swimming and felt something touch her leg. The councilor likened her response to "walking on water". Once they got her calmed down, another councilor came out of the lake bleeding. She was bitten or scratched by the scales of a fish. She lost it all over again, and then on vacation wouldn't get past ankle deep in the ocean, and didn't want to go out on our boat. When I brought up Sting rays (she's fascinated with them) for Grand Cayman, I was thrilled when she said she wanted to do it!! That is... until she saw a fish in one of the pictures. So, is it silly for someone her age to be scared of a ride that made her puke, a gnat, or a fish (and a multitude of other things), but not a wild stingray with barbs attached? YES!!, but that's not gonna make it any easier to convince her to go on the ride, even non spinning! I am already talking with her, and hopefully I can get some of her friends who have done both to explain it to her, as well.
I really feel for her AND you!! My grandson is that way, a little bit. Even if it is not a logical fear (He is 7 and can tell me he knows something is safe/non threatening), once he is frightened by, or becomes afraid of something, it is all over!

Last year he went on Splash and BTMRR for the first time. This year he says he is afraid of fast rides and only wants to ride a few rides while we are there. He can't tell me what or why he became afraid, so I have no clue how to help him. At times it is very frustrating. It can also be embarrassing. I love my grandson, as you do your daughter. It's so hard when I can't make everything ok for him!

He is in the Wild By Nature class a week from Tuesday. At least he likes the safari!

Sept. 2012 TR: It's a Jungle Out There!!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2989662
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #2059
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchPixie View Post
Thank you, Gina! This is just what I was hoping for. My husband is planning to accompany my daughter to the class and I just wondered what it would be like. I think she'll really enjoy it. She loves Spaceship Earth and Figment. We've never done the Captain EO show, but she loves to dance to MJ, so that will be cool. My youngest daughter can't see in 3D, so thats cool that my older daughter and her dad can see it together I'm glad they grouped the younger kids with each other, hope that happens again. My daughter is only 6 and may be intimidated if its all older kiddos. I really do appreciate your time, Gina. Thanks, again!

You're welcome, have fun!

Gina

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #2060
Cierese
Mouseketeer

New issue for me, but I'm sure its on here somewhere... If I can't figure it out, I will just call...

Anyone know the deal with taking a class and having an annual pass? Do you have to buy a set of tickets or can you just pay for the class fee? It will be odd because it will be just myself with the annual pass and my kids will need tickets. Hmm...

October 2015 - TBA
June 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Caribbean Beach Resort!
Oct 2013 - Old Key West and POP!
July 2011 OKW - Big Family Vacation
Nov 2009 All Stars Music - Thanksgiving!
Sep 2004 Off Site -- Jun 2004 Off Site
July 2003 Off Site OIF Welcome Home Trip
Apr 1995 Don't Remember - Magic Music Days -Yes, I was a band geek!!!
Cierese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #2061
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
I didn't mean to offend you. I make he mistake of thinking out loud sometimes.
Oh, I'm not offended. My point was that you've got an important job, because these are skills not every family has to pass on!

Thanks for the verification on the not-needing-to-ride thing, too.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #2062
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Thanks. I was worried. :/
Old 09-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #2063
BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaPrincess View Post
This makes me laugh. I once got sick after eating a BK chicken sandwich. I ended up having the flu. That was a dozen years ago and I still havent had that sandwich again! I'm 33, surely old enough to know I could go back into BK, eat a chicken sandwich and be fine.
LOL....same reason I will never eat another Wendy's frosty...stomach virus! And, yep, I'm 37 years old!
June 2009~2 week WDW-Cocoa beach extravaganza!/Windsor Hills
October 2010~Our 1st WDW MNSSHP/Windsor Hills
June 2012~ 2 week WDW(YES program)-Universal-Seaworld-Cocoa beach/Windsor Hills
June/July 2014~last minute 20th anniversary/4th July trip!!!
October 2014~MNSSHP and onsite at CBR!
BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #2064
HayGan
We could all use some pixie dust now and then :)
Papa Smurf Oh Papa Smurf!

Location: Steeler Country - PA!!!! Home of the World Champion PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchPixie View Post
Due to some scheduling issues we actually had to cancel this class today Luckily we still have the Wild by Nature class the next day. Poor Dave at YES - I'm sure he must go crazy on a daily basis with all us goofy DISers!
Next up:
Girls Only B-Day trip for F&WF - Oct. 2013, Turkey Day & 1st cruise! Nov/Dec. 2013
, Key West & BCV for the first time!!! May 2014
HayGan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #2065
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know when they usually release the dates for Jan & Feb? I'm suspecting (hoping!) sometime soon.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #2066
THERESA522
DIS Veteran

Is there no way to include the dining plan when you participate in the YES program?

POR 2012, AKL 2010, Pop 2009, Pop 2008, POFQ 2008, AsMo 2007, Dolphin 1998, off-site 1993, off-site 1987, off-site 1st trip 1979!
THERESA522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #2067
Zim
Meow meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERESA522 View Post
Is there no way to include the dining plan when you participate in the YES program?
The way I did it was to purchase a package which included the room, free dining and the minimal order of tickets (2-day base)

We will be saving those two tickets for another trip, another time... and use the 7-day park hopper plus water tickets we're getting with the YES program sign up

Yes it costs a little more this way, but the other tickets won't go to waste

Hope that helps!
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #2068
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

You have to buy a package or rent points and pay for dp.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #2069
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERESA522 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
The way I did it was to purchase a package which included the room, free dining and the minimal order of tickets (2-day base)

We will be saving those two tickets for another trip, another time... and use the 7-day park hopper plus water tickets we're getting with the YES program sign up

Yes it costs a little more this way, but the other tickets won't go to waste

Hope that helps!
This is similar to what AP holders do to take advantage of free dining...save the required-purchase tickets to use on a future trip. It costs more up front, but you save later on. Since the package tickets are unused, they can be upgraded at a future date.

Ask the resort concierge to separate the tickets from your KTTW cards and then store them safely, so you don't accidentally use the wrong tickets.

AP holders and DVC members staying on points can book room and dining without purchasing tickets.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #2070
auger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cierese View Post
New issue for me, but I'm sure its on here somewhere... If I can't figure it out, I will just call...

Anyone know the deal with taking a class and having an annual pass? Do you have to buy a set of tickets or can you just pay for the class fee? It will be odd because it will be just myself with the annual pass and my kids will need tickets. Hmm...
I am in the same boat. Unfortunately, you must purchase a YES ticket to attend the class. If you are a FL res, you need only buy a one day ticket for $82. Otherwise, you must get a min 3 day ticket - not sure of that price.
auger is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: