Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #2041
gerberdaisy1234
DIS Veteran

IWannaBeAPrincess, I don't have any great wisdom to offer just a hug. And to say most parents understand where you are coming from. Being a parent is a hard job. It would be nice if we could fix everything with a kiss and a bandaid:P

As far as the ride goes though, if she does not want to ride, no problem. The CM that is doing the class will tell you where you can wait for the group. No stresses!

-sprinkles pixie dust- have a magical trip!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
gerberdaisy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #2042
PatchPixie
Mouseketeer

Synergy in Science

WGEO (or anyone else with experience),

I'd love to hear more about the Synergy in Science class if you have the time..... My DD will be taking it on 10/15. Thanks!

Always missing the mouse...
Several childhood trips
Saratoga Springs: December 2007
Wilderness Lodge: December 2011
Dolphin/AoA LM: October 2012
Planning for December 2014!!

PatchPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #2043
HayGan
We could all use some pixie dust now and then :)
Papa Smurf Oh Papa Smurf!

Location: Steeler Country - PA!!!! Home of the World Champion PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchPixie View Post

I'd love to hear more about the Synergy in Science class if you have the time..... My DD will be taking it on 10/15. Thanks!
We are going to be in that class as well
Next up:
Girls Only B-Day trip for F&WF - Oct. 2013, Turkey Day & 1st cruise! Nov/Dec. 2013
, Key West & BCV for the first time!!! May 2014
HayGan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #2044
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Synergy in Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchPixie View Post

I wrote a review last fall, I'll cut and paste it below. I have heard mixed reviews of the class, but my kids loved it!

Here's a mini-review of the Synergy In Science class. My kids were 6 and 8 at the time. When we arrived at the will call window to start the class, there were coordinators there separating families out, and she clearly tried to group by ages. There were 8 kids in our group, and my 8 yr old son was clearly the oldest. (The age limit for this class is 6 - 11 I think - and it looked like the other group had older kids in it.)

We stopped inside the gates and learned about synergy, played with tinker toys and talked about how they built spaceship earth. Then we rode spaceship earth. Then we talked about 3D and watched Captain EO (the actual show was probably the low point of the class - the kids had no idea who Michael Jackson was and the movie was really dated.) But afterwards the instructor did a great demonstration of how 3D worked and it really got the kids interested. Then did Journey into Imagination with Figment (which I know gets mixed reviews, but my kids liked it so much, we had to go back and do it again later in the trip!). We finished off by talking about everything and the kids did a puzzle together.

My kids list it everytime someone asks them their favorite things about Disney - and we were there for 7 days, so it really sticks out for them! All of the conversations clearly were geared for a younger group, but I can't say if that's because our group was younger, or if the class is always like that.

Hope this helps,
Gina

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012
wgeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #2045
jjohnson

Volunteer cheerleader for the official "exclusive tag fairy club" cheering squad.

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I must have had "grumpy" for a CM. They would not give DD24 back their tickets to collect FP's.
Boardwalk Villas 2007
BWI Deluxe Concierge 2006 Saratoga Springs Resort 2006
Polynesian LVC 2005 Beach Club LVC 2005
Disneyland 2003
jjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #2046
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnson View Post
I must have had "grumpy" for a CM. They would not give DD24 back their tickets to collect FP's.
I'm confused by this Our CM never had our tickets, we walked through the turnstiles as a group, but we each put our own ticket through.

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012
wgeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #2047
VeeHam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeo View Post
Last year when we did Synergy in Science everyone met outside of the turnstiles. I want to say it was by guest services, but I just walked along the turnstiles until I saw the people with all the blue polo shirts on! We then split up into groups, took attendance and got name tags. Then our small group went through the turnstiles together. If you are not going with your kids I'm not sure what the policy is about you standing by the turnstile and taking their ticket after it is scanned.
My Dh will be going with Dd. Thanks for the breakdown. I never here much about the synergy class. How was the class? What did you guys do in class? Did the kids enjoy the class? Thanks!

VeeHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #2048
jjohnson

Volunteer cheerleader for the official "exclusive tag fairy club" cheering squad.

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeo View Post
I'm confused by this Our CM never had our tickets, we walked through the turnstiles as a group, but we each put our own ticket through.
The Class started 1 hr 15 min before park opening. She asked the CM for the tickets back & he said no they had to keep their tickets with them for the class.
Boardwalk Villas 2007
BWI Deluxe Concierge 2006 Saratoga Springs Resort 2006
Polynesian LVC 2005 Beach Club LVC 2005
Disneyland 2003
jjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #2049
mandynee22
Mouseketeer

How old does a kid have to be before they can attend their class without an adult? I'm a single parent with 13,12,5,2. Will this program not work for us until I have older kids because I don't have enough adults?
Also, I'm not actually related to the 13 yr old but I have permanent guardianship of her...so not "immediate family". Would they make an exception for that?
(sorry if these have been answered, I went through an awful lot of pages before I asked)
Old 09-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #2050
EEs*Mommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandynee22
How old does a kid have to be before they can attend their class without an adult? I'm a single parent with 13,12,5,2. Will this program not work for us until I have older kids because I don't have enough adults?
Also, I'm not actually related to the 13 yr old but I have permanent guardianship of her...so not "immediate family". Would they make an exception for that?
(sorry if these have been answered, I went through an awful lot of pages before I asked)
I cannot imagine them making an issue about your 13 year old dd. families happen in all different ways. You have guardianship so in my eyes you are her momma.

7/30 to 8/06 2007 ~ Bday at BC
Noah's Wish!
EEs*Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #2051
mandynee22
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEs*Mommy View Post
I cannot imagine them making an issue about your 13 year old dd. families happen in all different ways. You have guardianship so in my eyes you are her momma.

I hope that's true! She LOVES art and is wicked good at it...she would love one of the art/animation classes to see how it all works and because she gets extra help at school, it takes the place of her art class :-(
Old 09-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #2052
auger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by julirina View Post
Thank you for the great and thorough review! Sorry to hear your other class got cancelled. My dd12 is taking Captivating Moments on 10/2 so I'm really hoping your dd can still get in to that one on another date (because I selfishly want to read your feedback before we go!)

Glad that Physics was fun. If you're going to have to learn about it anyway, there's no better place than at Disney where it's put into action every day.
LOL!! I will be sure to post about the Photography class if we get her into it!
I can't call until Monday morning since they are closed for the week-end.
But I will be on the phone first thing in the am to try and get her in the class on the 21st.
She was bummed today when I told her the 12th was cancelled. I just hope they don't cancel the 21st as well!!
Check back on the 21st or 22nd for my review if it happens!!
auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #2053
Disneyaunt4
I wonder what they put in that waxy little stick that make my lips crave it
I am a huge animal lover
No chili this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by auger View Post
LOL!! I will be sure to post about the Photography class if we get her into it!
I can't call until Monday morning since they are closed for the week-end.
But I will be on the phone first thing in the am to try and get her in the class on the 21st.
She was bummed today when I told her the 12th was cancelled. I just hope they don't cancel the 21st as well!!
Check back on the 21st or 22nd for my review if it happens!!
I hope the class on the 21st isn't cancelled, I have 3 kids in that class
Disneyaunt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #2054
auger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyaunt4 View Post
I hope the class on the 21st isn't cancelled, I have 3 kids in that class
The email I got about the class on the 12th said they had to have at least 10 kids signed up for the class or it would be cancelled.
So when I get my DD into it Monday, we know that there will be at least 4 kids. So we need 6 more to make it a go.

Anyone other Dis'ers have their kids signed up for Captivating Moments on Sep 21st?
auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #2055
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
I deal with cognitive stuff with kids, teaching them to take control of their thought processes. Actualy fo the same with prisoners in a transition house. In both cases it is helpful.
Sometimes it depends on whether the parent's coping skills work with their kids. My dad's solution to irrational fears was, "Don't think about it." Worked for him, therefore when the rest of us couldn't pull it off, must be because we're not trying. I have found or developed a few more tricks to offer my kids... with somewhat mixed results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberdaisy1234 View Post
As far as the ride goes though, if she does not want to ride, no problem.
Is this true? For some reason I assumed that, since the ride was part of the class, if you sign up for the class you're agreeing to take the ride. Our list of possibilities would be a lot longer if there's no requirement to ride!
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: