Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #2011
julirina
Close your mouth, Michael. We are not a codfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellewashere

We just got ours for this class too...makes it seem so real since we dont get Mickey Mail...WAHOO
Yay! We don't get Mickey Mail either, so just getting *something* that says Disney knows we're coming will be a treat!

julirina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #2012
woodkins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendow View Post
I just got our confirmation for Sept 18 WBN Can't believe how close this is now!
My 10 yr old daughter and I are in that class as well! See you there!

7/14 BC, 4/14 ASSP, 10/13 POLY, 8/13 WL, 4/13 WORLDS @ASMu, 11/12 Aulani 9/12 AKL, 7/12 BC, 10/11 POLY, 9/10 POLY, 12/09 POP, 9/09 GF, 2/09 POFQ, 12/08 POLY, 5/08 POLY, 12/07 POLY, 5/07 ASSp, 12/07 CB, 9/07 AKL, 12/06 ASMo, 9/06 WL,
woodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #2013
wendow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
It's the perfect spot to finish up, then you can hit Flame Tree BBQ for lunch
Oh this is awesome as that is our plan for lunch
Old 09-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #2014
wendow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellewashere View Post
We just got ours for this class too...makes it seem so real since we dont get Mickey Mail...WAHOO
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodkins View Post
My 10 yr old daughter and I are in that class as well! See you there!

Yay! How funny that there are three of us on this thread in that class We are still undecided which of us is going with them but either way, our two girls are 12 and 10 and they are so excited.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #2015
thumperjr9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
We didn't get fancy nametags for Energy and Waves- just stick on ones.

Are you going to be writing about your trip? I'd love to hear what you thought of the class.
I'm not sure yet if I will do a trip report but I can write a review of our class on here as there are probably others interested.

My DS13 took the Energy and Waves class at MK on Mon. 8/20. The class met inside the turnstiles at 9 am. We caught the bus from CSR shortly after 8 am, arrived and got through bag check by 8:25 am. So we had plently of time to spare. The crowd had already built up inside the gate for rope drop and my DS didn't want to stand in the crowd. So we sat on a bench outside the turnstiles to wait. By the time the crowd had cleared out it was about 9 am so it didn't give us much time to find the group. I think if the start time was earlier or later (or met in a different spot) would have worked better to avoid the initial rope drop crowd.

After checking in we were divided into about 3 groups, I think. There were also a few groups of younger kids. The facilitator for our group was Todd. I won't go into all the details of the class but it included 3 attractions: Stitch's Great Escape, The Haunted Mansion and Mickey's Philharmagic....in that order. Before each attraction the group discussed things related to energy and sound waves and did a couple little experiments. I think that part was a little boring for the kids, though they did seem to like an experiment they did with a tuning fork.

**SPOILER ALERT**

The Haunted Mansion part was the best part of the class. First they went on the ride then after there is a "surprise" where they go behind the scenes. This was very cool and you get to see how some of the special effects are done and we also saw some of Fantasyland expansion construction. Todd (the facilitator) use to be a training supervisor at the HM and had so many interesting facts about the HM (at least interesting to me).

All in all we enjoyed the class. I think it did seemed a little long and appeared the kids were losing interested after the HM part. I know my DS and I were getting hot and hungry...glad we brought along water bottles. Also I didn't always see the connections between the discussions/experiements and the attractions. I do have to say that I thought Todd was excellent and very informative and enthusiastic. He tried to include all the kids and encouraged my DS and a couple of other kids that weren't as eager to participate.

My DS couldn't help but compare this class to the Animation Magic class that he took last Oct. Keeping in mind that Animation is a big interest of his and already has a lot of knowledge about it, he found that class a little boring (also he didn't feel well and ended up at urgent care later that night with strep throat ). He did however like the drawing (Sorcerer Mickey) part. He says he would rate the Animation Magic a 5 out of 10 and Energy and Waves a 7.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #2016
kellia
DIS Veteran

How long do the classes last?

I am anxious to see what they have for Jan/Feb!
kellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #2017
Eljay
DIS Veteran

Location: Lounging around the Royal Assante Suite at the AKL in my leopard pajamas, drinking Champagne! (In my dreams!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellia View Post
How long do the classes last?

I am anxious to see what they have for Jan/Feb!
I believe 3 hrs.
Has anybody attended classes that were longer or shorter?
Eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #2018
kaylee1006
Earning My Ears

Where does the animation class end? Trying to plan lunch
kaylee1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #2019
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
I believe 3 hrs.
Has anybody attended classes that were longer or shorter?
We've been in several and it seems standard.
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #2020
HayGan
We could all use some pixie dust now and then :)
Papa Smurf Oh Papa Smurf!

Location: Steeler Country - PA!!!! Home of the World Champion PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!

Where does the Wild by Nature class end? We have a 12 lunch at Yak & Yeti. I'm sure it won't be a problem if we are a little late but I'm really hoping we don't have to hike from the front of the park or something!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Next up:
Girls Only B-Day trip for F&WF - Oct. 2013, Turkey Day & 1st cruise! Nov/Dec. 2013
, Key West & BCV for the first time!!! May 2014
HayGan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #2021
Eljay
DIS Veteran

Location: Lounging around the Royal Assante Suite at the AKL in my leopard pajamas, drinking Champagne! (In my dreams!!!)

Since a few are asking, I'll ask too, where does Ocean Discoveries at Epcot end up?

Thanks!
Eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #2022
thumperjr9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylee1006 View Post
Where does the animation class end? Trying to plan lunch
For our class last Oct. it ended at One Man's Dream.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #2023
Tbella
Mouseketeer

Sorry if a question like this has been answered but this thread is going to take me a while to get through and we are leaving in a week. Our flight gets in on 9/14 at 9:00 p.m. We are using ME and going to BLT. My question is will I be able to walk to MK guest relations window to pick up my YES tickets or will they be closed by then? We are planning to go to MK on 9/15 but I wanted to have my tickets so that I don't waist precious rope drop time.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #2024
IWannaBeAPrincess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole0992 View Post
Hello all,

We returned from our trip a few days ago and participated in the Y.E.S. Program. Our class was "Everyday Chemistry" located at Epcot. My daughter is 13 and LOVED the class! I attended with her.

First of all, we checked in and met our instructor, Dana, who was absolutely wonderful. Unfortunately, we waited a bit for the "no shows" to our class. There were quite a few which is so sad. Our class was to meet at 8:45 and we got started right off the bat. We started off with introductions and Dana explained a bit about what we would be doing. We did a few experiments right then and there and then we entered the park as a group.

I won't go into everything we did but it was informative and fun. I enjoyed myself as did my daughter. Now, keep in mind, my daughter is very, very shy. I was so happy that she really participated and I think Dana appreciated that.

During the course of the class, we rode Ellen's Energy and Mission Space. The option to ride Mission Space was there for us. Those of us (myself included as well as Dana) that chose not to ride still went through the que and opted out as the others boarded. My daughter was thrilled because we usually go just the 2 of us and I do not ride Mission Space! Oh, it was the green, less intense side.

The class ended right at 12:00 after one last experiment. We had a wonderful experience and would not hesitate to do another class in the future. Honestly, my daughter wished we had signed up for another while we were there. She had that much fun.

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them.

Hey Nicole, thanks for the review. We are signed up for this class and we are very excited!! Can you tell me, is the Mission Space mandatory? Is there more class in the queue? You mentioned that you stayed in the queue and opted out, but I don't know if I can even get my daughter in that building. She rode the spinning one a few years back, and was sick all day. I understand the other one doesn't spin, but I can't convince her that it won't happen again. I signed up before I read your review, and it only mentions Ellen's energy adventure and test track in the brochure.

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/yout...escription.pdf

Thanks!!
Peyton

IWannaBeAPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #2025
ericm078
Mouseketeer

Question About Age

Quick question. My DD is intrested in going to the Animation Magic program when we go to WDW at the end of OCT. She is currently 7 and will be turning 8 3 1/2 weeks after we go. The class is 8-11. Will the let this slide or are the sticklers on the age?

Thanks!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: