Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #76
chanty
DIS Veteran

I'm confused...and I hope I can get some clarification! On Allears, it states:

For cell phone users, cellular carriers covered for the free Wi-Fi are AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile and MetroPCS.

So I'm wondering - if I have my iPhone from my Canadian carrier... I won't be able to access the wifi?! Am I getting this right?

Oct 2003 - Dolphin (engagement year) Oct 2005 - POR - Honeymoon
Oct 2006 - BCV - 1st anniversary Jan 2008 - Pop Century resort
Oct 2010 - BCV & AKV - 5th Anniversary!
Nov 2011 - Pop Century - Biz trip!
Oct 2012 - AoA - Family Vacation!

"Disney. For those that get it, no explanation necessary. For those that don't, no explanation possible."
chanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #77
DisneyHoneymoon2002
Apply Pixie Dust Liberally!

So glad the moderate resorts have free wifi. Regarding Port Orleans Riverside, does anyone know if there are specific spots (say at Boatwrights) or old man island bar, where the wifi works best?
2005 - off property
2006 - off property
2007 - Toured National Parks instead, missed Disney!
2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
2009 - Pop Century
2010 - Port Orleans Riverside
2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Reservations for first ever Disney Cruise on Fantasy - Dec. 22 - 29th then five days at Port Orleans Riverside in royal themed rooms

======== no kids - just DH and I ==========
DisneyHoneymoon2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #78
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanty View Post
I'm confused...and I hope I can get some clarification! On Allears, it states:

For cell phone users, cellular carriers covered for the free Wi-Fi are AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile and MetroPCS.

So I'm wondering - if I have my iPhone from my Canadian carrier... I won't be able to access the wifi?! Am I getting this right?
I am thinking that it a typo. WiFi won't depend on cellular service, and you can even access it with a non cellular enabled device, like a laptop, iPod, or iPad. You'll be good to go with the iPhone. Enjoy!
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #79
intrep93
Mouseketeer

I'm confused too. If there is no wi-fi in the parks, how do we access our wait time apps, etc? Can you still get wi-fi in the parks if you have a carrier? and if so, are there any carriers you can get without contracts? The kids were hoping to be able to use their iTouch in the parks.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #80
buzlite
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrep93 View Post
I'm confused too. If there is no wi-fi in the parks, how do we access our wait time apps, etc? Can you still get wi-fi in the parks if you have a carrier? and if so, are there any carriers you can get without contracts? The kids were hoping to be able to use their iTouch in the parks.
where to start...

Wifi has nothing to do with a cell phone carrier. Wifi is a local area open internet that can be accessed by anyone with a wifi device and password.
Cell phone carriers provide internet access through 3g and 4g which is not the same thing as wifi. You need a smartphone for these and their are huge roaming rates but can be accessed by you anywhere your phone is connected to your provider.
Itouch can not be connected to any carrier because it is not a phone. It has the same connectivity as a laptop. So the if you can connect your laptop to wifi in the parks then you can connect your i-touch but you can get a 3g type of plan from any providers or anything.
buzlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #81
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrep93
As the PP noted wifi and cellular data are separate, which is why I found the statement to be a typo. Which carrier you have does not affect your ability to access wifi. So, on an iPhone or other device with both cellular data and wifi capabilities you can access wifi where it is available regardless of your carrier. As for wifi in the parks, if it is not available then you will not have wireless data on the iPods or any other device that does not receive cellular data.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #82
meanpc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMCmom25kids View Post
Can't wait to use the free wifi the next time we go to WDW!

Just a friendly reminder to some...."Unsecured" means just that. NEVER do banking or even access your email through an unsecured connection.
This is excellent advice. Any logins/passwords or any other info that is sent in plain text is subject to being intercepted.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but accessing sites using the https:// protocol IS safe, even on public unsecured wifi networks. Meaning you can safely check webmail or even do banking, provided you ensure you are using https:// and not http://
meanpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #83
Dismom55
DIS Veteran

Now I am totally confused, when we go to Disney am I going to be at risk if I get on my computer or am I not? What good is it if I get hacked then the whole thing is a big let down for me. I do not understand all this.

Dismom55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #84
scjo68
DIS Veteran

I used the WiFi at POFQ last week, with my Ipod touch. I could not get the WiFi to work in our room at all. I had to go stand out on the walkway, or sit in the lobby or food court. It worked fine there.

I used it to check email, but I wouldn't use it to buy something using a credit card or anything.
Aug. 2013 POP, Nov. 2013 CR, Aug. 2014 POP
scjo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #85
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanpc

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but accessing sites using the https:// protocol IS safe, even on public unsecured wifi networks. Meaning you can safely check webmail or even do banking, provided you ensure you are using https:// and not http://
I agree. Even over a public open WiFi network a https connection should be fine for credit card and other secure info. Your bigger risk is someone actually watching you type in public. With an iPod or iPad or similar device you are perfectly safe sharing a public network. With a laptop, you should make sure you have a firewall running to prevent other people on the same network from accessing data on your computer while it is connected. Overall, enjoy the free internet access.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #86
olbear
Loves all things POOH!

Is there wifi at World Show Case Pavillion in EPCOT??

DISNEY COLLEGE OF KNOWLEDGE GRAD!!

WRITE YOUR LETTER TO SUPPORT "SCOOP"
"SCOOPIE GROUPIES" UNITE!!
olbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #87
lizzytizzy
Mouseketeer

Does anybody know if I can have things printed? If so, is there a charge? Also, is there a charge or incoming fax?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #88
Jimmysmom0703
Mouseketeer

Red face Cell phone charging stations

Does anyone know if there are cell phone charging stations at any of the parks? thank you
Jimmysmom0703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #89
rangerxenos
Mouseketeer

Public Computers at Disney Resorts?

God help me, I am considering leaving my computer at home for my trip next month!

Are there public computers available for use at the Disney resorts? Is there a charge?

We're staying at Pop Century. I've never stayed onsite before, and am used to having access to a public computer at the hotels I've stayed at offsite.

Thanks in advance for your help!
rangerxenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #90
Steph2527
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerxenos View Post
God help me, I am considering leaving my computer at home for my trip next month!

Are there public computers available for use at the Disney resorts? Is there a charge?

We're staying at Pop Century. I've never stayed onsite before, and am used to having access to a public computer at the hotels I've stayed at offsite.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Unfortunately there are no computers available for public use..sry

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: