Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #1141
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Well, I had second thoughts about BWV but I think we are staying the course There is no doubt that I am a Poly fan and it is my favorite resort. I worry though that I'll have the same experience at BWV that I did at BC. I was really disappointed in BC with the sink OUTSIDE the bathroom, the limited (and crappy really) quick service, the BAD food at the restaurants there (Beaches n cream, Hurricane Hannahs, and Cape may - HORRIBLE), and the overly crowded and scary swim area for our (then) small kids. Since then, I have avoided the Epcot area (except for a conference at the Dolphin when I had to stay there). Anyway, its years later and after saying I would never stay at the Boardwalk with the scary clown slide (I have a fear of clowns), we booked it.

Here's why:
1. The clown slide (minus the clown) actually looks like a lot of fun for me and the kids.
2. We LOVED having a 1 BDR villa at WL. The room was fabulous and we wished that we could book 1 BDRs at all the resorts. WL was just an ok resort to me though.
3. DH is only coming for a long weekend and wants to spend the majority of the time at Epcot so walking over there is a BONUS. That was the BEST part of staying at BC for us.
4. While I still don't find the Boardwalk quick service restaurants to be that good, it's only a long weekend and we'll most likely eat at the parks anyway.

BUT I just got an AP and the Poly has a discounted rate. Of course, it would only be $9 less to stay at the Poly for a normal, garden view (that is, cheapest view) room. At BWV, we would get the 1 BDR villa for just $9 more. I started to second guess myself, but I'm sticking to it.

So, tell me I'm making the right choice

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 05-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #1142
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
...Of course, it would only be $9 less to stay at the Poly for a normal, garden view (that is, cheapest view) room. At BWV, we would get the 1 BDR villa for just $9 more. I started to second guess myself, but I'm sticking to it.

Think KING SIZED BED. KING SIZED BED. Jacuzzi Tub.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #1143
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, I had second thoughts about BWV but I think we are staying the course There is no doubt that I am a Poly fan and it is my favorite resort. I worry though that I'll have the same experience at BWV that I did at BC. I was really disappointed in BC with the sink OUTSIDE the bathroom, the limited (and crappy really) quick service, the BAD food at the restaurants there (Beaches n cream, Hurricane Hannahs, and Cape may - HORRIBLE), and the overly crowded and scary swim area for our (then) small kids. Since then, I have avoided the Epcot area (except for a conference at the Dolphin when I had to stay there). Anyway, its years later and after saying I would never stay at the Boardwalk with the scary clown slide (I have a fear of clowns), we booked it.

Here's why:
1. The clown slide (minus the clown) actually looks like a lot of fun for me and the kids.
2. We LOVED having a 1 BDR villa at WL. The room was fabulous and we wished that we could book 1 BDRs at all the resorts. WL was just an ok resort to me though.
3. DH is only coming for a long weekend and wants to spend the majority of the time at Epcot so walking over there is a BONUS. That was the BEST part of staying at BC for us.
4. While I still don't find the Boardwalk quick service restaurants to be that good, it's only a long weekend and we'll most likely eat at the parks anyway.

BUT I just got an AP and the Poly has a discounted rate. Of course, it would only be $9 less to stay at the Poly for a normal, garden view (that is, cheapest view) room. At BWV, we would get the 1 BDR villa for just $9 more. I started to second guess myself, but I'm sticking to it.

Sounds like you had a similar experience as us at the BC. We just got back a few weeks ago and we will never go back there.

But with that said -- we stayed the the BWI a few years ago and it is so much better!! Although the Poly remains my favorite, I would absolutely stay at the BW again. It's nothing like the BC. As a matter of fact, when we were at the BC we found ourselves heading over to the BW side of the lake every evening just to get away from the crowds & hectic feel at the BC and SAB. Plus better food!

Good luck.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #1144
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Think KING SIZED BED. KING SIZED BED. Jacuzzi Tub.
I just fell in love with the size of the room at WL even though I wasn't impressed with the resort. Our favorite parts were the 2 rooms and we practically swam in the jacuzzi tub every night and watched TV. So I am psyched just for that

Thank you for the pep talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Sounds like you had a similar experience as us at the BC. We just got back a few weeks ago and we will never go back there.

But with that said -- we stayed the the BWI a few years ago and it is so much better!! Although the Poly remains my favorite, I would absolutely stay at the BW again. It's nothing like the BC. As a matter of fact, when we were at the BC we found ourselves heading over to the BW side of the lake every evening just to get away from the crowds & hectic feel at the BC and SAB. Plus better food!

Good luck.
Thank you! I'm afraid I'll have to go to the resort changers thread soon after all my waffling with each trip But I really want to try out BW. Good to hear that you had a similar experience at BC. I know a lot of people just adore it and I will probably head back there when the kids are older or I would even go back with just me and DH but for now, it just doesn't fit our needs (oh wait, that should be it doesn't fit our WANTS ). So glad to hear you enjoyed BW!!! Ok, DH is still sticking with it so that's the deciding factor. If I can get him to Disney, I'll stay where he wants

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 05-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #1145
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I just fell in love with the size of the room at WL even though I wasn't impressed with the resort. Our favorite parts were the 2 rooms and we practically swam in the jacuzzi tub every night and watched TV. So I am psyched just for that

Thank you for the pep talk

Thank you! I'm afraid I'll have to go to the resort changers thread soon after all my waffling with each trip But I really want to try out BW. Good to hear that you had a similar experience at BC. I know a lot of people just adore it and I will probably head back there when the kids are older or I would even go back with just me and DH but for now, it just doesn't fit our needs (oh wait, that should be it doesn't fit our WANTS ). So glad to hear you enjoyed BW!!! Ok, DH is still sticking with it so that's the deciding factor. If I can get him to Disney, I'll stay where he wants

Sorry to hear you all had bad experiences at the BC. I'm one of the ones who absolutely loves the BC, so much so that BCV is our home resort. It's cool, different strokes I guess.....

We have a 2BR villa for the end of July at BWV and we're all very excited! Mind you, I also have a wait list request for BCV, but we'll be just as happy at the Boardwalk. Can't wait to watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics at ESPN!

2014: Coronado Springs (WDW Marathon Weekend)
2013: Port Orleans Riverside (WDW Marathon Weekend), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club Villas (Nephew's 1st Visit)
2012: Boardwalk Villas (Our 1st DVC Stay!)
2011: Beach Club, Swan (Honeymoon!)
2010: Pop Century, Wilderness Lodge
2009: Swan
1989: Marriott Orlando World Center
1980: Offsite
1978: Offsite
Old 05-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #1146
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran

A couple of questions...

1. On one of the first posts on this thread it was mentioned that you can rent fishing equipment so you can fish along the canal. Is this true? I thought you were only allowed to fish on a guided excursion. Can anyone clarify?

2. I'm not usually one to request a specific location whenever I book a room. I usually know what I'm paying for, and haven't had any problems thus far as it pertains to room location. However, on our trip at the end of July my in-laws will be joining us and I want to be as close to the entrance as we can be since my MIL has bad knees. I booked a 2 BR garden view, but would I be laughed at if I requested a view overlooking the courtyard directly behind the main lobby? Or is that request too specific?

Thanks for all of your help!

2013: Port Orleans Riverside (WDW Marathon Weekend), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club Villas (Nephew's 1st Visit)
Old 05-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #1147
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydavid7771 View Post
...2. I'm not usually one to request a specific location whenever I book a room. I usually know what I'm paying for, and haven't had any problems thus far as it pertains to room location. However, on our trip at the end of July my in-laws will be joining us and I want to be as close to the entrance as we can be since my MIL has bad knees. I booked a 2 BR garden view, but would I be laughed at if I requested a view overlooking the courtyard directly behind the main lobby? Or is that request too specific?

Thanks for all of your help!
That area is the Villlage Green. Make a request for that.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #1148
Crazy4DisneyandTink
Mouseketeer

Are the doors at BWV metal? I really want to decorate our door with mickey head magnets.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #1149
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
That area is the Villlage Green. Make a request for that.
Thank you Deb!

Old 05-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #1150
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Checking in two weeks from yesterday!
Old 05-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #1151
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

The more threads I read on here , the more anxious I get...Ican't wait to go.....Plus this year we have 5 families going at the same time...3 staying at BWV 1 at BC/YC, & 1 at SWan & Dol.

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #1152
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4DisneyandTink View Post
Are the doors at BWV metal? I really want to decorate our door with mickey head magnets
DVC has asked that guests at the DVC resorts not decorate outside the villa or anything that can be seen from outside the villa.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #1153
psac
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Here's why:

If you were planning to spend more time at MK, I would say stick with the Poly since its your favorite. But if you plan to spend most of the time at Epcot (and maybe DHS where you can take the boat), then DEFINITELY go with the 1BR. We love the BW, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Plus the space you get with the 1BR really makes a huge difference. Enjoy!!
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
Old 05-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #1154
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydavid7771 View Post
Sorry to hear you all had bad experiences at the BC. I'm one of the ones who absolutely loves the BC, so much so that BCV is our home resort. It's cool, different strokes I guess.....

We have a 2BR villa for the end of July at BWV and we're all very excited! Mind you, I also have a wait list request for BCV, but we'll be just as happy at the Boardwalk. Can't wait to watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics at ESPN!
We'll be there at the same time!!! I'm also psyched to see the opening ceremonies while at Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psac View Post
If you were planning to spend more time at MK, I would say stick with the Poly since its your favorite. But if you plan to spend most of the time at Epcot (and maybe DHS where you can take the boat), then DEFINITELY go with the 1BR. We love the BW, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Plus the space you get with the 1BR really makes a huge difference. Enjoy!!
I talked about it with DH AGAIN last night (I can't believe he doesn't divorce me on the grounds that I'm involved with a mouse ). He said since it was going to be so freakin hot and humid when we are there (and he said he would never go during July again), he doesn't need to go to MK at all. I told him we would have the waterpark option on the passes and we could go to the waterparks everyday and just hang out at the pool. Then in the evenings, just go to Epcot or HS. Me and the kids will have already been at CSR with my extended family for 6 nights so the 3 nights at BWV is like our vacation after the vacation DH is fine with not going to all the parks and hitting rides. He wants to relax! And since the kids and I will have already gone on all the rides and such, we'll be fine too.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Old 05-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #1155
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Tinkerbellie16;45003770]We'll be there at the same time!!! I'm also psyched to see the opening ceremonies while at Disney!

No kidding! We're planning on taking the last flight down to Orlando from Newark on Friday, the 27th. We're staying at POR for a couple of nights before we head to the BWV. Looking forward to both resorts!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: