Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
hcruz496
Earning My Ears

Movies to show kids before we go

We leave in 59 days for Disney world. My sons are 8 and 9 years old. We've been once when they were 5 and 6 years old. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice for pre-trip preparation on what Disney movies we should watch before going. I think it'll be more fun for them if they can associate characters with movies before we go to the parks. What had your kids never seen or heard of? Was there anything or anyone in the park that they were just like "who is that?"
I know some of the stuff is earlier disney. For instance they didn't know what the honey I shrunk the kids attraction was all about and they had never ever heard of Dumbo. We're having a ongoing Disney movie marathon until then so any suggestions are great!
hcruz496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
MiamiMere
Mouseketeer

We saw Mary Poppins several times in Epcot and MK and my kids had no clue who she was. So, I am adding that to the list for our next trip!!!

I was glad that my kids have watched and read the original Peter Pan books.

2013 - Dolphin
2011 - AKL
2001 - Grand Floridian (Executive Disney Program)
1997 - Off-site (Marched in Disney parade)

(7) (3)
MiamiMere is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Angeejoe
Mouseketeer

Fantasia. Lots of fantasia Mickey stuff, the big hat's at DHS & the Fantasmic Show.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
hcruz496
Earning My Ears

They seem Mary Poppins and Peter Pan. I remember all the fantasia stuff from last time. Isn't there an attraction that shows clips of the movie? I hadn't even seen fantasia.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
hcruz496
Earning My Ears

I meant to say seen*
Old 06-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
DisneyDiva8401
Mouseketeer

All of them! (Just kidding). It is important I think to know what movies inspired each attraction, which some are obvious:
Toy Story
Fantasia
Peter Pan
Dumbo
Alice in wonderland (teacups)
Song of the south (splash mountain)
Pirates of the Caribbean
Finding nemo
Honey I shrunk the kids (playground-HS)
The muppet show (HS)
Lion king
Plus all your typical princess movies

DisneyDiva8401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
GoofyMB
Mouseketeer

At 8 & 9 they have probably seen these but I will mention them anyways. Lion King whose characters are at Animal Kingdom as well as the show and Finding Nemo where the my have the show at AK and the ride at Epcot. Toy Story with rides at MK and HS, Little Mermaid attractions in both MK and HS and with the new Monsters University those characters are likely to be around.

AK also has characters from Jungle Book, characters from Aladdin at MK & Epcot and they might want to see some episodes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse so they can see the main characters Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Goofy, Pluto and though he is not in the parks Pete.

GoofyMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
GenieCat
DIS Veteran

Beauty and the The Beast
Monsters, Inc.
Pirates of the Caribbean
Toy Story
if they are adventurous, the Tower of Terror

"When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight."
GenieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
hcruz496
Earning My Ears

Jungle book and Song of the South will definitely be added to the list. I've never seen Song of the South.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
Christinaxo
Mouseketeer

We leave in 57 days for our 1st WDW trip and we have been doing the same thing!!! We have been watching for awhile now but this is what we have seen so far:

ALL Princess movies
ALL Disney Pixar Movies (your boys will probably enjoy those most, they are also some of the most recognizable characters for this new generation lol)
Lion King Series
We focused also on alot of the classics so far (DS 8 enjoys comparing the differences between movies made "back then" to now lol)
Bambi
Alice in Wonderland
Fox & the Hound
Peter Pan (original)
Dumbo
Lady & The Tramp
101 Dalmatians (original)
Mary Poppins (they did not enjoy that one )
The Jungle Book
Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Pinocchio
AristoCats
The Three Caballeros
Lilo & Stitch (since we will have breakfast at Ohana)
& many more recent ones too! Theres just so many! We have been watching movies that don't have anything in the parks as well just because it's disney and its awesome anyways! It has been helping to build up our excitement even more lol Good luck and have a great trip!

Me DH DS(9) DD(4)

AKL- Aug 2013 (1st Trip) YC- Aug/Sept 2014
Christinaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
hcruz496
Earning My Ears

GenieCat they may not be brave enough to watch the Tower of Terror, but I'll definitely watch that one myself
Old 06-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
hcruz496
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinaxo View Post
We leave in 57 days for our 1st WDW trip and we have been doing the same thing!!! We have been watching for awhile now but this is what we have seen so far:

ALL Princess movies
ALL Disney Pixar Movies (your boys will probably enjoy those most, they are also some of the most recognizable characters for this new generation lol)
Lion King Series
We focused also on alot of the classics so far (DS 8 enjoys comparing the differences between movies made "back then" to now lol)
Bambi
Alice in Wonderland
Fox & the Hound
Peter Pan (original)
Dumbo
Lady & The Tramp
101 Dalmatians (original)
Mary Poppins (they did not enjoy that one )
The Jungle Book
Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Pinocchio
AristoCats
The Three Caballeros
Lilo & Stitch (since we will have breakfast at Ohana)
& many more recent ones too! Theres just so many! We have been watching movies that don't have anything in the parks as well just because it's disney and its awesome anyways! It has been helping to build up our excitement even more lol Good luck and have a great trip!
Lots of great ideas they haven't seen. Believe it or not the first time we went my sons didn't know who chip and dale were or handy manny lol
Old 06-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
GenieCat
DIS Veteran

The Tower of Terror movie made in 1997 with a young Kirsten Dunst explains the back story for the Tower of Terror attraction. While not her best work, the movie itself is not at all scary.

Be aware that the Stitches Great Escape attraction at the Magic Kingdom can be very frightening for younger children. "Recruits" are strapped into seats in a dark theater. You might want to review the YouTube videos before deciding if it is appropriate for your family.

"When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight."

Last edited by GenieCat; 06-09-2013 at 03:32 PM.
GenieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
hcruz496
Earning My Ears

We went on Stitch's Great Escape last time. They raved about it. They loved it and still tell me about how cool they thought it was.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #15
cannonboys
Mouseketeer

Don't forget the classic Swiss Family Robinson movie and even Tom Sawyer books. Was there a Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Fin movie?
cannonboys is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: