Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
JoeCathyAngelina
Lord be willing, If all goes well, The creek don't rise, and there ain't no melt down, we'll do it all again next year.

How many Dolphins and people are in the pool during the dolphin swim?

Thanks,
Joe

April 2015, Angelina's 14th Birthday at the Sheraton Vistana. ................
April 2014, Angelina's 13th Birthday at Vacation Village at Parkway.........April 2013, Angelina's 12th Birthday at the Hilton Grand at Seaworld
April 2012, Angelina's 11th Birthday at the Orange Lake Country Club.....April 2011, Angelina's 10th Birthday at the Silver Lake Resort
April 2010, Angelina's 9th Birthday at the Orange Lake Country Club...... April 2009, Angelina's 8th Birthday at the Summer Bay Resort
April 2008, Angelina's 7th Birthday at the Wyndam Cypress Palms..........April 2007, Angelina's 6th Birthday at the Orange Lake Country Club
April 2006, Angelina's 5th Birthday at the Sheraton Vistana. ................ April 2005, Angelina's 4th Birthday at the Beach Club.
March 2004, Angelina's 3rd Birthday at Old Key West...........................January 2000, New Year's Eve Millenium celebration at the Grand Floridian.
JoeCathyAngelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
floridianer
Mouseketeer

3 Dolphin Cabanas with 4 Parties á 8 persons ....

each group one dolphin (normally... Sometimes they change the dolphin if they wish so)

This makes it 12 Dolphins, 96 humans in all 3 cabanas.
floridianer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCathyAngelina View Post

Thanks,
Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridianer View Post

each group one dolphin (normally... Sometimes they change the dolphin if they wish so)

In the cabanas, its basically a meeting place with a DC staffer where you watch a short video and then the larger group gets split up for the swim.

The pools themselves are quite large. We were in a group of 8 (our family of 3 then a family of 5). The next closest group was not far away but not "close" either....far enough that the trainers had to shout to each other when they needed to communicate, but close enough that we could easily watch their dolphin do the jumps, etc. as well.

We started out with female dolphin for the first portion of the dolphin experience. She did the kissing pictures and the formal family shots. For the swim portion, they switched out to a much larger male dolphin ("Rascal"), and my guess is that the female may have had a harder time with the swim for my 6' 4", 275 pound husband. Rascal was also....well......true to his name. A bit of a rambuncious boy . He probably would not have been as patient with the kissing & formal pics as the female. It was kind of neat to see the differences (personality and physical) between the two dolphins, and the different approach that the trainer had to take in dealing with each.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! Visit my trip report in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Last edited by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina; 05-03-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: revisions
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
chiamarie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridianer View Post

There are several pools that the dolphins are located in; and Discovery Cove its self has around 30 dolphins, not 12. And I think very rarely are all 3 pools doing DIPS at the same time, it's usually staggered, so that the animals are getting a break.

But as for your swim, you will usually get 1-2 dolphins and will be in a group no larger than 8. But there will be multiple DIP's going on in the pool at once (the way the pp explained).
chiamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

They can change dolphins at your experience if the dolphin isn't interested in doing the behavoirs or if they aren't yet trained to do something. We had Calypso at first and I believe they told us she was about 5 and still learning, so for our swims CJ came over.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
pixeegrl
DIS Veteran

We are going in August but not doing the dolphin swim....are we able to view the dolpin interaction from beach side anywhere?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
TomD
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeegrl View Post
We are going in August but not doing the dolphin swim....are we able to view the dolpin interaction from beach side anywhere?
Yes you will be able to view the interactions from the beach.
TomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Violet Crayon
I went with the princesses
mealtime on a regular day can get hairy with seating

Like others have broken down, there are four "pods" out in the lagoon during an interaction with 8-9 guests. So, roughly 32-36 guests will be in the water. Each pod also has 2 trainers (unless there is a trainee or guest who needs assistance), and a photographer and videographer. For humans total there will be about 48-52 bodies in the water. Each pod has a dolphin and for most interactions there will be 4 in the water, but when there are young dolphins who are beginning to learn the ropes they might have them at a pod and an experienced dolphin hanging out with a trainer for a switch. A lot of the pools do a switch and have a set of dolphins do shallow behaviors (kisses and family photos) and a set that enjoys doing the ride portion so your chances of meeting two different dolphins are fairly high, but not guaranteed. Overall Discovery Cove has 3 lagoons with their own social pods. There are about 44dolphins, and no dolphin does more than 3hours of interaction time in a day, and rarely get close to that mark anyway.
Violet Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
floridianer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiamarie View Post
There are several pools that the dolphins are located in; and Discovery Cove its self has around 30 dolphins, not 12. And I think very rarely are all 3 pools doing DIPS at the same time, it's usually staggered, so that the animals are getting a break.

But as for your swim, you will usually get 1-2 dolphins and will be in a group no larger than 8. But there will be multiple DIP's going on in the pool at once (the way the pp explained).
I know that there is a "private pool" for the dolphins in the back area of the park.
12 of them are "out" for tricks and work.

3 pools with 4 groups of 8 people plus 2 trainers and videoman. 44 in one pool. So this makes 132people plus 12 dolphins in the 3 pools
floridianer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: