Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Epcot - France - Bistro de Paris - UPDATED for March, 2012 Dinner

December, 2011

For whatever, reason, I had dinner here in 1997, really enjoyed it, and had not been back until the F&W lunch. I think I was probably caught up in the Dining vouchers, then the dining plan, but even after abandoning the DDP a few years ago (migrated to TiW), I still had not made it back to this delightful, slightly out of the way, gem.

To make up for it, I went twice. What you see here is a hybrid of dinner on two different evenings.....

==================================

Night #1, Table for One

The evening started with a St Germain cocktail - which I had never had before, and now make at home regularly!

Amuse Bouche, baguette and butter

Focus on the baguette!

Salmon Pastrami, with cucumber on top

Close up of the cucumber

Lobster - hmmm, I don't recall the name, but it had two tails in a light cream sauce.

Another view of the lobster dish

After the salmon, I was too full to eat the lobster - so I took it back to my room and had it (cold) for breakfast the next morning. The view, before boxing.....

Dinner accompanied by wine pairings, charmingly served by Benoit (who is scheduled to return home in March).

Last edited by ehagerty; 03-31-2012 at 12:57 PM.
ehagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Night #2, Dinner for 2

I enjoyed MANY things about my first dinner, which I will summarize at the end, but suffice it to say that I must have really enjoyed it, because I returned - which I've been known to do, but not usually in the same trip.

By this time in the vacation DS23 had joined me, and I wanted to share the Bistro magic with him.....

===================================

Benoit taking DS23's order, DS making funny faces for the camera!

This time we both had a St Germain cocktail!!

DS did the fixed price dinner, I knew the salmon would be plenty for me!

Ahi Tuna

Salmon Pastrami, reprise

DS getting ready to enjoy his filet

Filet close-up

Mashed Potatoes

Raspberry Souffle, sorbet

Sorbet close-up

Chocolate almond cake

Dessert toast of champagne

Everything was delicious. The first night, they were offering lemon souffle, but I was too full to try it. I would not go so far as to say I am a souffle aficionado, but I always try it when available, as it is not something I am likely to make for myself. The first time I had it (one of the Disney Restaurants in the 90's), I thought "Hmmm, sweet, dessert-flavored, airy quiche - what's the big deal?" Since then, I routinely order it at VnA, Palo, and now, Remy. What captured my attention here is that RASPBERRY is my favorite dessert flavor. I used to request raspberry pie for my "birthday cake" when I was growing up. As soon as Benoit mentioned raspberry souffle as a dessert option, I knew enough to save room. Just remembering it is making my mouth water. This was, simply, the BEST! It was flavorful, light, perfectly balanced for fruit flavor and texture - no sauce to turn the interior soggy (I am going to stop puncturing the souffle and pouring the sauce it - going to dip instead). This was wonderful from the first bite to the last. And then, there was raspberry sorbet, too. And raspberries. I hope they have it again!! Thank you to whoever created this - it was very memorable!!

Last edited by ehagerty; 01-13-2012 at 06:09 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Summary - Delightful

I really like everything about Bistro - food, location, food, ambience, food. Mentally, I put it on my list of future "must-do, always" list. Then, I read it was joining the DDP. It will be interesting to see how the menu holds up under the pressure of DDP price margins. I will keep an open mind, and I will keep you posted!!

Old 01-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Thanks for the review. You're making me want to cancel LC to go back to LB next month. We booked LC, because we haven't tried it in years. Like you, I'm concerned DDP may negatively impact LB. I hope not. IMO, LB is the best restaurant we've eaten at in WDW, & we've eaten at a majority of them.
(")_(")

tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
WhateverLolaWants
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear a review as I will be trying this on my next trip due to its addition to the DDP (hoping to get it while it's still good before a potential downgrade of the menu for the plan). That's not the lobster cassolette by chance, is it? Doesn't seem so by the description on the menu, but thought I'd ask.

Trips

October '87, June '91, Summer '93, Summer '97, December '98, July '99, April '00, December '02, August '03, November '03, January - May '07 (College Program),
January '08 (WDW and Disney Wonder), February '08 (DL/CA), December '08, October '09, February '11, January '12, February '13, October '13,
December '13 and on - Florida Resident Annual Pass
WhateverLolaWants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Bistro v Cellier

I suppose, if I were trying to totally objective, I would do both in the same trip. I kind of thought of them as apples and oranges for dining and ambiance. I'm not sure I ever knew price at the same point in time.

I only did LC a couple of times, on the DDP. For a single credit, I considered it a good value for the dollar. For 2 credits, well I can make a steak at least as good for a lot less, with very little effort. As a matter of fact, I'll do it tomorrow. Even if I started practicing tomorrow, I don't know that I will ever replicate that raspberry souffle dessert!! Hopefully, you don't have to give up one for the other!! If we see warm, chocolate lava cake in place of souffle next visit, we'll know they've caved to the DDP!

Last edited by ehagerty; 01-13-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
M5ward
When You Wish Upon A Star...

I love Le Bistro de Paris...great service, wonderful food, quiet, peaceful dining. I will be very surprised if we don't lose most of that to the DDP.

Nov., 1981 (CR),Nov., 1983 (CR),Dec., 1994 (off-site),Jan., 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), Jan., 2007 (SSR), Nov., 2007 (SSR), Feb., 2008 (BWV), Oct., 2008 (OKW), Jan., 2009 (BWV),Oct., 2009 (BCV), Jan., 2010 (BWV), Oct., 2010 (OKW),Jan., 2011 (BWV), Nov., 2011 (OKW)
Jan., 2012 (BLT),Apr., 2012 (BWV)Nov./Dec.,2012 (BWV), Jan, 2013 (BLT), , Apr, 2013 (BCV)Oct2013(BWV)
M5ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Testing, testing - March 19th

We'll see what BdP is like under the DDP (although I will be ordering under TiW)...

Old 03-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

I'm so glad you're returning soon. I can't wait to hear how it compares post DDP. We didn't make it to LC or BdP in Feb. I cancelled LC for Jiko. Unfortunately, we weren't very impressed w/ Jiko. We'll definitely return to BdP soon. That is, if it's still as good as it was. Some day, we won't cancel LC & actually give it another try.
(")_(")

tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
Tony-NJ
Ready for Spring!!!
Needs at least 8 hours
Loves weeping willows

OMG I had no idea it was going to be a part of the dining plan now. I can not see how it will remain as good as it was - sorry but that's my honest opinion. We find ourselves going more to non Disney Owned restaurants because the quality in all have gone down so much.

We ate here in October and really enjoyed it.
Tony-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

The raspberry souffle looks wonderful. I hope it's still on the menu when I eat there. Fantastic pics as always!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Various Replies

To the last 3 posters - here's hoping.

But then, we know hope is not a strategy

Allearsnet posted new Bistro menu for DDP, and I did not see any souffle on it (which I considered a "red flag" of quality decline). It is possible that allearsnet did not have the new, complete menu, but I will know soon enough - table for one this upcoming Monday. Will keep you posted!

Old 03-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
To the last 3 posters - here's hoping.

But then, we know hope is not a strategy

Allearsnet posted new Bistro menu for DDP, and I did not see any souffle on it (which I considered a "red flag" of quality decline). It is possible that allearsnet did not have the new, complete menu, but I will know soon enough - table for one this upcoming Monday. Will keep you posted!
The current allears menu (updated March 2012) still shows a raspberry soufflé. However, some previous desserts are missing - the crêpe duo, which I thought was great (but it was prepared tableside, which can be laborious and goes against the DDP's efficiency), and the crème brûlée plate (which was a neat sample of various takes on crème brûlée).
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #14
M5ward
When You Wish Upon A Star...

Your picture of the raspberry souffle and sorbet has whetted my appetite for that dessert? I hope it's still there next month when we go. We have ADRs at Bistro de Paris for our first night in the World.

Nov., 1981 (CR),Nov., 1983 (CR),Dec., 1994 (off-site),Jan., 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), Jan., 2007 (SSR), Nov., 2007 (SSR), Feb., 2008 (BWV), Oct., 2008 (OKW), Jan., 2009 (BWV),Oct., 2009 (BCV), Jan., 2010 (BWV), Oct., 2010 (OKW),Jan., 2011 (BWV), Nov., 2011 (OKW)
Jan., 2012 (BLT),Apr., 2012 (BWV)Nov./Dec.,2012 (BWV), Jan, 2013 (BLT), , Apr, 2013 (BCV)Oct2013(BWV)
M5ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:01 AM   #15
akl-fan
DIS Veteran

That food looked fabulous, will have to try it next time.
akl-fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: