Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Turkey Lurkey
DDC 551
Geeks can help people too
For some reason, I have been banished from the room

Thumbs up DisDads Movies: Previews, Reviews, and Recommendations

I figured we could use a thread to discuss movies. Give reviews of ones we've recently seen (the better reviews could be repurposed for content on DisDads.com ). Discuss theories. Post news about upcoming films. That sort of thing.

So? What are you waiting for? DISCUSS!!!!

TL
DIS Dad's Member #551
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
A Very Turkey Trip Report: 1/22/11 - 1/29/11 - Updated, but never complete!
Turkey Lurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Turkey Lurkey
DDC 551
Geeks can help people too
For some reason, I have been banished from the room

And here's the reason I started the thread. I'm thinking about taking DD4 to go see Beauty and the Beast 3D this weekend, but I am leary about movies that are converted from 2D to 3D after the fact. They never seem to look anywhere near as good as those filmed in 3D. Did anyone go see the Lion King 3D when it was released into theaters? Thoughts?

TL
DIS Dad's Member #551
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
A Very Turkey Trip Report: 1/22/11 - 1/29/11 - Updated, but never complete!
Turkey Lurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave

I did not care for it. I love the movie, but the transition o 3D really did not do anything for me.

And I am torn about seeing Star Wars Episode I because of this

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 8/22/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
theduck619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Goofy + 3
DDC 400
Remember, it's ok to cry a little. Not too much, just a little

Just saw an awesome movie last night. Warrior with Nick Nolte, Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton. It wasn't much of a big deal at the box office, but don't let that fool you. Great story, very well acted and exciting fight scenes. I won't do a full review or anything like that, but it's about two estranged brothers and their estranged father who are forced to come together for a mixed martial arts tournament. Now that I type that I realize how stupid that sounds, but trust me - it's good. It helps that I'm a big MMA fan to begin with, but in my mind the fighting is secondary to the character stuff that goes on. If you liked The Fighter, you'll llike this. Side note: Tom Hardy, who steals the show in Warrior, will play the part of Bane in Batman: The Dark Night Rises. In it, he will fight Christian Bale (Batman) who I think won an oscar for The Fighter. MMA actor vs Boxing actor! And if you know the history of the comics, there is definitely a clear winner!!
DIS Dad #400
Goofy + 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
bigtony777
Disney Veteran

I recently watched a movie, Courageous, on recommendation from a friend. I had never heard of it before. IT was a really good movie and I will tell you that it will likely give you a new perspective in regards to being a father. I highly recommend that all fathers watch it.

Upcoming: 11/14 - BWV (W&D 1/2), 12/14 - AKV, 11/15 - Magic Bahamas Cruise

2014: July - BWV, Mar - BLT, Jan - VGC
2013: Dec - AS Sports/BWV , Nov - BWV(W&D 1/2), June - BWV/BCV, ), Mar - BLT/Fantasy Western Caribbean, Jan - BWV (Goofy)
2012: Nov - BWV (W&D 1/2), Aug - Offsite (Disneyland 1/2), June - BCV/WLV, Mar - AKV
2011: Dec - Pop/AS Movies, Nov - Pop, Oct - Dream Bahamas Cruise, BCV (W&D 1/2), July - Pop, June - Offsite, April - Pop
2010: Oct – Wilderness Lodge, AS Music (W&D 1/2), July – Caribbean Beach, April - Pop
2009: Dec – Offsite, Nov - Caribbean Beach, Oct - Coronado Springs, April - Pop
2007: July - Offsite
bigtony777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

I don't do the 3D movies. I can handle the 10 minute show at WDW, but I can't wear those glasses for a whole movie. As far as movies, we only get them from the redbox, so I'm not much help. We did see Chipwrecked. It's another chipmunk classic.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #7
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtony777 View Post
I recently watched a movie, Courageous, on recommendation from a friend. I had never heard of it before. IT was a really good movie and I will tell you that it will likely give you a new perspective in regards to being a father. I highly recommend that all fathers watch it.
I would second this recommendation

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 8/22/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
theduck619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
Goofy + 3
DDC 400

A movie based on "The Matterhorn" ride. Not many details yet, but it could be good. I never thought POTC would be any good and they've done ok for themselves. Now if only they could hurry up with the remake to make us forget the awful Eddie Murphy Haunted Mansion.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/121/1219230p1.html
DIS Dad #400
Old 02-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy + 3 View Post
A movie based on "The Matterhorn" ride. Not many details yet, but it could be good. I never thought POTC would be any good and they've done ok for themselves. Now if only they could hurry up with the remake to make us forget the awful Eddie Murphy Haunted Mansion.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/121/1219230p1.html
My curiosity is piqued about rumours of a Jungle Cruise movie with Hanks/Allen attatched to it.

Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

BigTikiDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Goofy + 3
DDC 400

Just saw Moneyball. Good movie. It seems like Brad Pitt is well past the pretty boy part of his career and is actually a good actor now. Anyway, it was a good and apparently fairly accurate depiction of the 2001 and 2002 A's. For baseball fans, there's plenty to ponder as you see how Billy Beane and his sidekick changed baseball. 4/5 stars.
DIS Dad #400
Old 04-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
SmilingGrump
Dis Dads Club Member #584

I've seen a couple of German movies on Netflix recently that are memorable:

Seven Dwarfs - a different look at the Snow White story and I found it quite funny ... but it's a whacky German sense of humour (yes, they have one) so might not be for everyone

Cargo - a German sci-fi that gives a more "realistic" look at space travel. I loved the sets more then the story, though the story wasn't bad. I find myself enjoying some movies for theming and sets and what they inspire in my imagination more then the story (which is why I found something to like in the sci-fi "Sunshine" even though my wife detests it)
DL '77, DW '79, DW '00, DW '01, DW '06, Magic '08, DW '08, DW '09, Wonder '10, DW '10, Wonder '11, Aulani '12, DDC#1 (WDW '13)

me DW DD DD
SmilingGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Late to the party.

Just watched "Rango". I thought it was good. I didn't have much interest in seeing it from the trailer, but it surprised me. the animation was awesome. There were several times Depp's dialogue reminded me of Jack Sparrow.

Also finally watched The Muppets last night. That was good. DW kept crying through it though.

Lastly, I've recent watched all the Harry Potter movies except either of the Deathly Hallows. I recently read the books and I think the movies are okay, but the books are definitely alot better.

Numerous Trips as a kid from 1974-1993. WDWCP MK Custodial Spring '94. Off Property, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Land/Sea @ ASMR/Wonder 2002. CBR 2003. POR 2006. Off Property 2007. DVC @ SSR since 2007.. SSR 2008, 2009.. BWV March 2010. SSR December 2010.
BLT/DCL Dream/BCV July/August 2012
DISDad #644
I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich? A TR In Progress
My First Trip Report - Escape from New York, Dec 26, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 - COMPLETED!
Our Disney Blog: "Home is Where the Mouse is"

Treguna Mekoides and Trecorum Satis Dee
baseballmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
BigTex71
DIS Dad #536
Bring it!
It's a conspiracy, I tell you! <300 ;)

One of my favorite Sci-Fi movies is being remade: Total Recall. I saw the trailer the other day and it looks like they did a good job with it. Here is the official website.
DIS Dad Club Member #536
2012 DisDads Fantasy Baseball Champion - Jungle (Nelson) Cruz

Wanna Read My PTR? Your Stunned Silence Is VERY Reassuring (Jan/Feb 2011)
A Private Dance With Cinderella...Our Surprise Trip Jan/Feb 2011

me dw ds(13) dd(7)

BigTex71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
Goofy + 3
DDC 400

Finally saw Hunger Games last night. Pretty good. I had never read the books so I was new to all this and wanted to see what all the buzz was about. The "shaky cam" at the beginning was a bit overdone and distracting, but that went away after about 20 minutes and it seemed like after that they went to more traditional filming.

One of my favorite parts of going to the movies is seeing the trailers for upcoming attractions. I came away from last night thinking two things.
1) While I'll be there opening day, I'm worried about The Avengers. I'm a sucker for a super hero flick, but this may just be a bunch of special effects with a lousy story. It'll be neat to see all of those heroes on-screen at the same time, but I don't know how they can all contribute to the story in a 2-hour movie.
2) Snow White and the Huntsman looks awesome. I just wish the girl from Twilight wasn't in it.
DIS Dad #400
Old 04-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
Goofy + 3
DDC 400

And now for something completely different.

Anyone like foreign films? Me neither. How about subtitles? Nope. How about a movie with no explosions or car chases and only 4 actors with speaking roles with a runtime of about 72 minutes. This movie had a lot of strikes against it before I ever pressed play on the dvd player but after hearing our pastor reference it in a sermon a few weeks ago we decided to give it a try. The movie is "Letters to Father Jacob". It's a Finnish film about a blind priest who does nothing but respond to letters sent to him. He prays for the people in the letters and with the help of an assistant, he answers some letters as well. His assistant is a woman who was just pardoned for a murder she committed many years ago. After initially opposing Father Jacob's work, she begins to see the value in what he's doing as their relationship changes. I won't give away the ending, but it's a good story.

Certainly not the type of movie I'd usually see, but I don't regret watching it. There's worse ways to spend 72 minutes and even if it did cut in to the beginning of the Blackhawks game last night it was worth it.
DIS Dad #400

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: