Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #136
cajunprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimaroo View Post

However, our FIRST January going over MLK Jr. weekend. Anyone have any opinions on this? We usually go the week after but this year because it's a bit later, and we needed to use up a ton of of banked DVC points, we're opting for a week earlier.

Is MLK weekend as bad as some people make it out to be? Our plan is to try to hit the parks early that weekend, leave during the crazy periods and take it easy at the resort, then go back again later in the evening.

OH and also, if anyone is going around the same time we are and needs someone to do a PP share with, please let me know! We did one last trip and it worked out fantastic!

So excited to be posting in this thread!!
DH and I went this past January and left the Saturday of MLK weekend. That Friday night was crazy at MK. I'm sure it only got busier that weekend.

and I have to ask what is a PP share? LOL

I've been lurking over this board with the hopes that my DH will let us go back to Disney and go run the half marathon (that's some motivation to get in shape right there!).

Anyone know when they will start letting us normal folks book for January?
DCL Magic - February 2014
DCL Dream- February 2015
cajunprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #137
we3are1
Mouseketeer

MLK weekend

ok so my conference is 1/15 - 1/19. I was planning for us to stay another night and hit the parks that evening and maybe a little pool play before we leave on Sunday morning. If the crowds are that bad for MLK weekend should we just leave right after the conference ends Sat. morning? We are arriving before the conference 1/12 to have a little extra fun.

we3are1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #138
cajunprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by we3are1 View Post
ok so my conference is 1/15 - 1/19. I was planning for us to stay another night and hit the parks that evening and maybe a little pool play before we leave on Sunday morning. If the crowds are that bad for MLK weekend should we just leave right after the conference ends Sat. morning? We are arriving before the conference 1/12 to have a little extra fun.
The crowds are heavier, but an extra day in disney is still an extra day in disney
DCL Dream- February 2015
Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #139
readytogotodisney
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=danimaroo;44751230]

We'll be staying from January 18th-January 27th! We're hoping to book at BCV again (this last trip got us hooked on BC!), though we're currently booked at OKW as that's our home resort.
We're booked at OKW right now too, but also looking to jump ship as soon at the 7 month window rolls around! We stayed at BCV on this years trip, but this year looking to go back to BLT and BWV!

However, our FIRST January going over MLK Jr. weekend. Anyone have any opinions on this? We always go over MLK weekend, and honestly the weekend will be busy, but nothing crazy! Saturday and Sunday will be busy, then on Monday it starts to drop off. By the Wednesday you'll be walking on rides!

Is MLK weekend as bad as some people make it out to be? Our plan is to try to hit the parks early that weekend, leave during the crazy periods and take it easy at the resort, then go back again later in the evening. This is what we always do too. Usually on Saturday night we head to DTD.

OH and also, if anyone is going around the same time we are and needs someone to do a PP share with, please let me know! We did one last trip and it worked out fantastic! I would join the January 2013 Dis group on FB and create the PP there. PP's are not to be spoken about on the Dis.

So excited to be posting in this thread!!
DL - 10/12 DCL - 4/13 ~ Dream 11/14 ~Dream
readytogotodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #140
readytogotodisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunprincess View Post
DH and I went this past January and left the Saturday of MLK weekend. That Friday night was crazy at MK. I'm sure it only got busier that weekend.

and I have to ask what is a PP share?

I've been lurking over this board with the hopes that my DH will let us go back to Disney and go run the half marathon (that's some motivation to get in shape right there!).

PP = sharing a photopass, but it's frowned upon at Disney, (so say the least) and so it's not to be spoken about on the Dis.

They should start opening up booking online sometime this summer. In years past it's always been August, but last year was early in June. So maybe next month? But you can call and book your room only now. They'll quote you a price for the highest rate of 2012 and then will adjust your prices once 2013 comes out. Then you will be able to switch to a package as well.
DL - 10/12 DCL - 4/13 ~ Dream 11/14 ~Dream
readytogotodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #141
SandiKB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Ok so a conference that has just been approved in my work budget is scheduled for January 2013 and I have been approved to take a little vacation time before and after the conference to enjoy DW
So I need to save as much money as possible.
Here are the details:
Conference is 1/15 - 1/19
We are planning on arriving 1/12 and staying through 1/20
I was planning PC but looks like AofA might be a little cheaper UNLESS free quick dining pops up.
Is AoA really less expensive than PC if not staying in family suites? Will Cars rooms be open by them - not sure my 12 yr old son would want to stay in Little Mermaid.

The only regular rooms at AOA are LM rooms, the rest are family suites, here is the opening schedule

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...-world-resort/

•Finding Nemo (Grand opening) – Opens May 31
•Cars – Opens June 18
•Lion King – Opens August 10
•Little Mermaid – Opens September 15

Quote:
When will January open for reservations?
We are driving from VA so transportation to the conference is not an issue. I would really like to get the quick dining package so we can pay ahead and less cash to take, plus my work budget will cover many of my meals.
Also probably going to need an EVC for husband.

Sorry for all the questions but been 3 years since we got to go to DW. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!
January is usually open in August, but last year opened up in June
Old 05-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #142
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimaroo View Post
I can FINALLY officially post here! Whew. I mean, we knew we were going in January 2013, but it was a matter of making it official before I wanted to actually post in this thread. Glad I waited, too, since our dates changed!

I am absolutely thrilled to be going back in January as it's our favorite time of year to go! This will be our third January in a row.

However, our FIRST January going over MLK Jr. weekend. Anyone have any opinions on this? We usually go the week after but this year because it's a bit later, and we needed to use up a ton of of banked DVC points, we're opting for a week earlier.
Welcome! I remember you from the January 2012 thread. Glad to hear you are doing '13, too.

This past Jan, we went the week after MLK but I was watching what others had said about MLK w/e b/c I knew we were going that w/e this year.

We definitely had a better week both weather-wise and crowds-wise, by going the week after MLK. However, the parks were open a bit longer for MLK so that was nice, too. I read TR where crowds for the Th - Mon for MLK were crowded, particularly Friday and Saturday ... but MK was also open until 12am or even 3am!

Since we did the AP, we have to go the week earlier (MLK) so we'll see what happens. I remember Touring Plans showed crowd levels like 6,7,8's for MLK week and the week after was 3, 4, 5s.

So not crazy ... but not empty either.

Quote:
Ok so a conference that has just been approved in my work budget is scheduled for January 2013 and I have been approved to take a little vacation time before and after the conference to enjoy DW
So I need to save as much money as possible.
Here are the details:
Conference is 1/15 - 1/19
We are planning on arriving 1/12 and staying through 1/20
I was planning PC but looks like AofA might be a little cheaper UNLESS free quick dining pops up.
Is AoA really less expensive than PC if not staying in family suites? Will Cars rooms be open by them - not sure my 12 yr old son would want to stay in Little Mermaid.
When will January open for reservations?
We are driving from VA so transportation to the conference is not an issue. I would really like to get the quick dining package so we can pay ahead and less cash to take, plus my work budget will cover many of my meals.
Also probably going to need an EVC for husband.

Sorry for all the questions but been 3 years since we got to go to DW. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!

PS We are in VA too - Chesterfield, just SW of Richmond
AOA rooms are only LIttle Mermaid. If you want Cars, you'll have to do a suite (~$300/night). When I checked it was the same price as staying in a room at the Contemporary!

Quote:

and I have to ask what is a PP share? LOL

I hope you get to go back to Disney!!

Quote:
If you have an AP, I say go for it! Just go on and if it's too crowded, pick another park.

If you are using a full day's ticket, you might not want to b/c MLK Sat will be more crowded

Then again, a poster below says...

Quote:
The crowds are heavier, but an extra day in disney is still an extra day in disney
Yep, you can still do things on crowded days...get there for RD, use FP, see popular rides/shows first.

Just know it's going to be more crowded.
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #143
cajunprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post

I hope you get to go back to Disney!!
I hope so too! I was heading to the gym to train for my half marathon and told my husband I was running this thing at WDW. I just can't motivate myself any other way!
DCL Dream- February 2015
Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #144
hsmamainva
DIS Veteran

I will be leaving you!

After much begging and pleading on behalf of our sons, we've moved our dates to May of 2013. They want to do a Star Wars Weekend!

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

2/11 - 3/12 - 5/13 - 5/14 - 8/14 - Planning: 1/15 - 5/15 - 8/15

hsmamainva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #145
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamainva View Post
I will be leaving you!

After much begging and pleading on behalf of our sons, we've moved our dates to May of 2013. They want to do a Star Wars Weekend!
I'm sorry you'll be leaving us, but it sounds like you'll be going during a great time. Hopefully, we can make it to some of the SWW on our upcoming June trip.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #146
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamainva View Post
I will be leaving you!

Sorry to see you go but I totally understand! SWW will be wonderful for your boys!

Have a great time!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #147
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Please add us, we will be at BLT January 2-8, 2013. Patiently waiting for the January calendar to open and crowd predicitions to start planning our days.

Has anyone booked airfare yet?

mickeyplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #148
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyplanner View Post
Please add us, we will be at BLT January 2-8, 2013. Patiently waiting for the January calendar to open and crowd predicitions to start planning our days.

Has anyone booked airfare yet?
Yay! BLT is a great DVC -- our favorite one!

PS I'm originally from Reading!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #149
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yay! BLT is a great DVC -- our favorite one!

PS I'm originally from Reading!
Our first trip staying as a DVC member will be over Labor Day and then again in January 2013. We closed on a BLT resale in February 2012. We had a hard time deciding between BLT and BC to buy resale. We opted for BLT because of the monorail and being able to walk to MK. Have you stayed at all the other DVC properties?

We live south of Pittsburgh. We were just on 222 this past weekend for a weekend trip.

mickeyplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #150
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Welcome! I remember you from the January 2012 thread. Glad to hear you are doing '13, too.

This past Jan, we went the week after MLK but I was watching what others had said about MLK w/e b/c I knew we were going that w/e this year.

We definitely had a better week both weather-wise and crowds-wise, by going the week after MLK. However, the parks were open a bit longer for MLK so that was nice, too. I read TR where crowds for the Th - Mon for MLK were crowded, particularly Friday and Saturday ... but MK was also open until 12am or even 3am!

Since we did the AP, we have to go the week earlier (MLK) so we'll see what happens. I remember Touring Plans showed crowd levels like 6,7,8's for MLK week and the week after was 3, 4, 5s.

So not crazy ... but not empty either.
Yup, I'm glad to be back for 2013! January is the best time of year to go.

All your info on MLK weekend is great! Definitely good to know that the parks are open later, too! I've never gone when the parks have been opened past midnight so that could be really fun...

I noticed TP had those numbers, so I'll keep an eye on both that and easywdw.

I mean, I figure if we go in expecting crowds and plan accordingly, it'll be fine. Again, I think those days for us will involve spending time away from the parks in the afternoons, and going early/later to avoid the BIG crowds.
danimaroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: