Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
DAZY3BYZ
DIS Veteran

First of all...
Second, it's not you. I believe throughout society we are witnessing a "me first" epidemic and people having a sense of entitlement unlike previous generations. You see it everywhere from the way people drive, shop, and especially when people are more stressed about "getting it all done" at a theme park. We all need to take stock as parents these days. I think our well meaning intentions to give our children all that we can can and always put them first has sometimes created a sense of entitlement in them. jmo

1999-ALL Star-sports; 2003- POR; 2004- POR; 2006 POR-POLY; 2007 POLY; 2009 POR-BC; 2010 POR-AKL
DAZY3BYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
RocketEAR99
DIS Veteran

I agree, it's a decay of manners and selflessness in society, but it's encouraging to see people on this thread are recognizing it too. As long as there are people who are still considerate, there is at least some hope.
My past trips:WDW-1: Jun 1992 (Off Property), WDW-2: Aug 1997 (Off Property), WDW-3: Feb 2007 (POP), WDW-4: Jan 2009 (SSR), WDW-5: May 2009 (BWV), WDW-6: Oct 2009 (AKV Kidani), WDW-7: Mar 2010 (BLT), WDW-8: Jan 2011 (AKV Kidani), WDW-9: May 2011 (SSR), WDW-10: Feb 2012 (OKW), WDW-11: Oct 2012 (VWL), WDW-12: May 2013 (BWV)

Me Maverick

RocketEAR99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

Yes, sadly, it's everywhere. I generally am always the one getting out of someone else's way and saying "excuse me." Most people will just walk right into you if you don't move.

Even when I was really pregnant, I would have men make me and my children move out of their way (not that I expect special treatment, but still). I've even had men let me hold the door open for them. I'm sorry. Really? My DH would never let a woman hold the door open for him (unless he had his hands full carrying something and then he'd still try to get the door himself). And he most definitely wouldn't let a pregnant woman do it.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #19
Anthony1971
DIS Veteran

Never noticed much rudeness at Disney but I work in NYC.......

Hopefully things will get better some people's attitudes are likley due to the poor economy and feeling like they deserve more as they are spending a lot of money... however so is everyone else....
Anthony1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #20
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABE4DISNEY View Post
All you need to do is look at what is celebrated in the media and sitcoms. Bad behavior is rewarded and good people don't condemn it because it is "so funny." I know this will sound so old, but remember when sitcoms taught lessons, but were still entertaining? Those are all gone, as well as parenting standards, and now "life is imitating art" or is it the other way around?
Let me pull up my rocker and join you on the old people porch. I completely agree and the shows that are marketed to kids and teens (yes Disney channel too) show some ridiculous behaviour. The kids are rude and smart mouthed to each other and adults and that junk is what we (I say we b/c my kids watch that junk too although I've been cutting it off more and more) are letting our children watch and eventually imitate.

Ironically regarding the NYC comment, we go to NYC for a week every summer and I don't see rude behaviour much there (mostly spend time in Brooklyn and Manhatten). It seems that it really stands out at WDW b/c the CM's are so friendly and it's a nice cheery place, when some one is poo pooing all over that with thier poor attitude it's like sticking flashing lights over them to draw attention to it.
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATEGIRL007 View Post
Let me pull up my rocker and join you on the old people porch. I completely agree and the shows that are marketed to kids and teens (yes Disney channel too) show some ridiculous behaviour. The kids are rude and smart mouthed to each other and adults and that junk is what we (I say we b/c my kids watch that junk too although I've been cutting it off more and more) are letting our children watch and eventually imitate.

Ironically regarding the NYC comment, we go to NYC for a week every summer and I don't see rude behaviour much there (mostly spend time in Brooklyn and Manhatten). It seems that it really stands out at WDW b/c the CM's are so friendly and it's a nice cheery place, when some one is poo pooing all over that with thier poor attitude it's like sticking flashing lights over them to draw attention to it.
Another rocking chair for your circle...

agree with you both...

and the adults on all these shows are always portrayed as complete buffoons (Suite Life, iCarly, Good Luck Charlie etc.). where have the Cliff and Clare Huxtables and Charles and Caroline Ingalls gone!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
SoScary'09
Has Friends on the Other Side

People seem to feel more 'entitled' these days for some reason. Much of it might have to do with financial stress, but who knows. Sorry to hear about your experiences!

Halloween '09:-CR Halloween '11:-Poly Halloween '13-BC March '14: First DL Trip
SoScary'09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #23
Bearybear
A firm believer in the unbelievable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATEGIRL007 View Post

I grew up in a 'burb of NYC. I don't think people there are particularly rude, but outsiders might think they are, but I think that is because they tend to talk loud and are very straightforward. I had to adjust when I moved to Minnesota, because people here had a hard time with my honesty.

I also agree that Disney shows are among the worst offenders. The only one we let our son watch is Phinneas & Ferb, as that show doesn't have the rude and disrespectful behavior.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #24
bowbat
DIS Veteran

I hate to break it to everyone, but the lack of manners isn't contained to the younger generation. We moved a couple years ago to a town in FL with a VERY large retiree population, and it's become a running joke with me & my husband that none of them seem to know how to use or comprehend the words, "excuse me." Baffling, I tell you.
Wilderness Lodge – 10/2011, 11/2012, 11/2013
Boardwalk Inn – 11/2011, 3/2014
Grand Floridian – 2/2012
Yacht Club – 6/2013
bowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #25
T16
Earning My Ears

It's a global phenommenon - and I will honestly admit that some of the most egregious "rude" behavior I have witessed at WDW is simply a clash of cultural norms of behavior.

That IS NOT to say that Americans aren't just as guilty of rude and selfish behavior - not even. Rudeness knows no international boundaries. It's just that some of the things I've seen that have been shocking or upsetting to family and friends in my group are things I've recognized from spending a number of years travelling around the world for my job.

Parades are a fine example - we typically know and claim "our" spots early. We chat and make friends with others waiting there, forming alliances for the (sadly) inevitable confrontations. And then, after the ropes are up and the parade route closed, along comes a family or two from - I presume - a place where shoving your children in front of mine, then standing in front of me while capturing the entire parade on video is not considered rude - it's just how you act in a crowd. Push, shove and jostle and you get the payoff of a better view.

I know that I sound xenophobic, but hey - it's a consistent observation. And I mention it simply because these people very often don't think they're being rude. WDW is an international destination, but it would be a better place if some visitors could better understand American expectations of acceptable and polite behavior. I often wonder if these people think we're all stupid for waiting for an hour for the spot they're going to squeeze into at the last minute.

And yes, I do insist they move. And they usually do, but sometimes only after feigning confusion and ignorance.

It's a global village, people. Get used to it...

Last edited by T16; 01-13-2012 at 02:11 PM.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #26
scion5220
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
I often wonder if these people think we're all stupid for waiting for an hour for the spot they're going to squeeze into at the last minute.
I know you weren't trying to be funny, but this cracked me up! Never thought of it that way before, but you are probably right!
scion5220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #27
btm2323
Earning My Ears

Thanks for everybody's responses, and thanks SO much for all the warm welcomes! I am going to make a POINT to say "thank you" "please" "you're welcome" "excuse me" and "I'm sorry" as much as possible from now on, just to make a point! Hey, I'm at the theme parks so often that maybe it'll actually make a difference.

Thanks again for assuring me that I'm not crazy, everybody! LOVED the discussion!
btm2323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crowd control, crowds, pushing, shoving, trampled

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: