Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
castleview
I'm on my 103rd attempt to grown my bangs out
I'm too impatient with the skillet

Which mattress for a teen girl?

Firm, plush...what's the best? DD15 needs a new mattress and I'm looking for a budget friendly twin mattress.
castleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

I don't think we can really tell you what type of mattress she would prefer. I would take her out shopping and have her test different ones out to see what she thinks is more comfortable for her.
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
castleview
I'm on my 103rd attempt to grown my bangs out
I'm too impatient with the skillet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwelch10377 View Post
I don't think we can really tell you what type of mattress she would prefer. I would take her out shopping and have her test different ones out to see what she thinks is more comfortable for her.
I must admit I was looking to go the 1-800 mattress route.
castleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castleview View Post
I must admit I was looking to go the 1-800 mattress route.
You can have her test a few to see what she prefers without needing to buy and they go and order thru 1-800-mattress.
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
usd2bmd
DIS Veteran

Please remember that that name on the mattress will most likely vary at each store you go to. We learned this when shopping for ours. It makes it incredibly difficult to compare models.

I am not sure a mattress is something that I would order without seeing or testing first. If you want to return it who covers that cost?
June 2002 - Off-site June 2005 - All-Star Movies Resort** August 2006 - Caribbean Beach Resort**September 2007 - Caribbean Beach Resort**August 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside**August 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
February 2010 - Caribbean Cruise/Carnival Liberty**August 2011 - Caribbean Cruise Carnival Liberty**August 2013 - Eastern Caribbean Cruise Carnival Dream
usd2bmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

We're looking for a new mattress for DS19. He got his when he was four and says it's too firm. He wants something softer. He's already tried out a few, but we haven't done any serious shopping yet. I prefer a more firm mattress. DH likes a slightly softer one. We have a dual-controlled sleep number bed. I keep my side at 75; DH keeps his at 65.
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

Ask her what she wants in a mattress. Firm? Soft? Springs? Foam?

I have a memory foam one and it is the comfiest mattress I've ever had. It did cost a bit though.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
Happy Snowman
Earning My Ears

What about getting a gel/foam topper instead of a new mattress?
Happy Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
Mrs D
I realize most people don't hear editing

My DDs mattress (plush) from Costco that cost just over $100 is far more comfortable than my fancy $2000 king from a furniture/mattress store. Ugh. Guess where I'm buying my next bed.

***Ultimate Orlando w/DIS, WWoHP&Legoland + First DCL!!Jan '14***Princess Half Marathon Feb '12 AKV**Oct. 12 DL for Halloween Time!**Apr. 12 Pop/AKV, F&G fest+ 80th bday**Leap Day! 24hrs in MK & CR!**June 11-Pop & SWW**Oct. '10 Pixie Dust!Upgraded to GF!! Wine & Dine Half Relay!**Dec. 09 Christmas at Pop**Feb. 09 Girls Only BDAY trip@BWV!** Sept. 08 First trip for the little ones - VWL** Numerous trips throughout childhood.
Mrs D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #10
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

I'd highly recommend bed in a box if you find she likes memory foam/temperpedic. We tried out different types of mattresses in the store, almost bought a really expensive one at the mattress store, then did some research at home and settled on Bed in a Box. We did some research on the website Sleep Like the Dead (top site for mattress reviews and info) and Bed in a Box was top rated. We are very happy with our purchase and after suffering through 6 months of sleeping on a lousy interspring mattress in the nursery last year, I will be buying a new twin from that company when baby #2 comes along.

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/bed-...view-home.html

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:06 PM   #11
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snowman View Post
What about getting a gel/foam topper instead of a new mattress?
I did this for my son when he wasn't comfortable on his bed and it worked like wonders. Get a good one, at least 4", the thin ones don't make much of a difference.

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:31 AM   #12
Happy Snowman
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
I did this for my son when he wasn't comfortable on his bed and it worked like wonders. Get a good one, at least 4", the thin ones don't make much of a difference.
Is that your son in your signature? He's a handsome boy!!

Our daughter has a 2" on on her bed and it's great. She has our old mattress set that always gave me a bad back and I can sleep on that bed now without issues. I like a really soft mattress though and that one was always way too firm for me. We have a Sleep Number bed, my Sleep Number is 25 .
Happy Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #13
deedeetoo
DIS Veteran

We replaced DD16's bed last year. I don't know where you are and if you have Jordan's Furniture, but we bought a Jordan's Furniture store brand memory foam. She loves it. She tried several mattresses in the store and liked this better than any of the more expensive ones. Works for me. Just an FYI - my 16 yo is tiny - 5'1" and 100 lbs. Don't know if this would work for a larger kid.
deedeetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #14
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGirl84 View Post
I'd highly recommend bed in a box if you find she likes memory foam/temperpedic. We tried out different types of mattresses in the store, almost bought a really expensive one at the mattress store, then did some research at home and settled on Bed in a Box. We did some research on the website Sleep Like the Dead (top site for mattress reviews and info) and Bed in a Box was top rated. We are very happy with our purchase and after suffering through 6 months of sleeping on a lousy interspring mattress in the nursery last year, I will be buying a new twin from that company when baby #2 comes along.

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/bed-...view-home.html
I looked at the link here is a BIG problem:

"Rotating the mattress occasionally can help maintain comfort and support, say owners. The beds have a one-sided design meaning they are no-flip."

Biggest regret ever was the last bed we purchased ( not from here ) years ago..and I cringe when the commercials come on about a mattress being over 8 years old and what is in/on it now ..

We bought a pillow top never dawned on us that you can't flip the mattress over. I am going to be very cautious when we replace the bed that we get a mattress that we can flip over for even wear.

a story of renewed hope & the power of the Dis:UPDATE 7/19http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111056

Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #15
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs D View Post
My DDs mattress (plush) from Costco that cost just over $100 is far more comfortable than my fancy $2000 king from a furniture/mattress store. Ugh. Guess where I'm buying my next bed.
I bought my DD a mattress from Amazon that was memory foam, made in the USA, and only $150. Our $1000 mattress isn't nearly as comfortable! Amazon has some great mattress deals-- a lot of them are very highly rated by customers so you can check out their experiences, too. I don't think I will ever go to Sleepy's again.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: