DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #31
oktracy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 129

Are the malasadas hot when purchased from the Leonard's Truck????
oktracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #32
ennisb
DIS Veteran
 
ennisb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 409

Also at exit 1B just make another left after Costco

Pizza Hut
Papa Johns
Taco Bell
Burger King
McDonalds
SafeWay
Zippy's (local favorite)
Denny's
Chinese (Panda express?)
Chilis
Outback
A bunch more in all the strip malls
__________________
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

DVC Owner and fortunate enough to have enjoyed WDW, Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, Magic's inaugural trip thru the Panama Canal, and Aulani
ennisb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #33
mouseaider
DIS Veteran
 
mouseaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 617

We were at Aulani in April and I can tell you that the Luau at Paradise Cove was just OK.

We booked the VIP Royal Box to celebrate our anniversary and we thought the food was horrible.

Everything was overcooked and you could not eat the chicken if you tried. It was the worse dinning experience that we've ever had.

Save your money and go to see the Starlit Hui for your luau fix.
__________________
Follow me @mouseaider on twitter.
Travel agent for Up and Up Travel
No trips on the horizon. I better take care of that!
mouseaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #34
TagsMissy
Counting down the days... It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.
 
TagsMissy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lower Mainland, BC -- Canada
Posts: 4,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseaider View Post
We were at Aulani in April and I can tell you that the Luau at Paradise Cove was just OK.

We booked the VIP Royal Box to celebrate our anniversary and we thought the food was horrible.

Everything was overcooked and you could not eat the chicken if you tried. It was the worse dinning experience that we've ever had.

Save your money and go to see the Starlit Hui for your luau fix.
I agree, it did NOT live up to the reviews. It was just OK. Chances are I'd not pay to go there again. We were there within a day or so of mouseaider's visit to the Luau
__________________
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 POR, SSR/AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland Club 33/13 DL Club 33/Wonder & BLT/BWV/14 AKV Jambo/VWL & DL Friend's Wedding Celebration & perhaps some 33 lovin' /15 DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean & BLT/GFV

TagsMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #35
izzy
"It's not the heat -- it's the stupidity"
 
izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA
Posts: 1,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktracy View Post
Are the malasadas hot when purchased from the Leonard's Truck????
Both times I went they were.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Been there, done that, going back!!

izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:29 AM   #36
spleen
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Both times I went they were.
Yes, should be. Turnover at that Leonard's truck is fast enough that you should be getting malasadas that are pretty much right out of the fryer.
__________________
spleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #37
Hunnypaw
Encinitas, CA
 
Hunnypaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 281

we copied some of these places to our list. We will be at Aulani in 3 weeks! Thanks!
__________________

DIS Dad Club Member #623
Me , DW , DD
________
Nikon D200 | Nikkor 80-200 | Sigma 15mm f-eye
Hunnypaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #38
treborq
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 19

LUAUs: Paradise Cove vs Polynesian Cultural Center

Can anyone detail the pros/cons between these 2 Luau choices, Paradise Cove vs Polynesian Cultural Center.
We will be at Aulani first 10 days of August 2012.
Thank you in advance!
treborq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #39
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh
 
Silly Little Pixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sunny So Cal
Posts: 2,967

Quote:
Originally Posted by treborq View Post
Can anyone detail the pros/cons between these 2 Luau choices, Paradise Cove vs Polynesian Cultural Center.
We will be at Aulani first 10 days of August 2012.
Thank you in advance!
Or, even staying at the PCC for the luau vs. just watching the Starlit Hui? Thoughts?

We will be taking my inlaws (never been to Hawaii) and if the food isn't good, then maybe it's not worth it to do a "luau". My family went to a luau in Kona before so the whole food part isn't a necessity for us. I don't want to waste the money on a luau at Polynesian Cultural Center if it's not great food- as you can see lots of other places to try on Oahu! My inlaws do want to visit PCC.
__________________
Previous Trips to my Happy Places :
Disneyland yearly since 1978, APer 18 years and counting!
WDW 74, 77, 82, 83, 87, 89, 98, 03, yearly since '08
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12



Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #40
boiseflyfisher
I'm curious, too
 
boiseflyfisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Eagle, ID
Posts: 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktracy View Post
Are the malasadas hot when purchased from the Leonard's Truck????
Ours were piping hot. We had to wait while they were making a new batch. Yum!
__________________
Looking forward to our GCV trip in June! Bring on the summer!
boiseflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #41
poohkinandpiglet
Longhorn Fan
Hook 'em Horns!
 
poohkinandpiglet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 1,705

We just returned from 11 days at Aulani. Here's a random list of some of my favorites.

North Shore: Giovanni's Shrimp truck, Woody's corn on the cob and Ted's bakery (loved the mini chocolate chip macadamian nut cookies)
Matsumoto's shaved ice, too.

We ate appetizers for dinner off The Olelo Room menu while listening to the live music. Loved the nightly live music in a beautiful setting! Ama Ama was our favorite on-site restaurant for a nice sit down meal.

Try a Tropical Ginger Lemonade if you've never had one. YUM!

The Swap meet at Aloha Stadium is every Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday. It's a great place to shop for souvenirs including locally made items.

Electric Beach is a great place to snorkel. The power from the electric company heats the water offshore and attracts all types of fish, eels, sea turtles, etc . . .

Spend an afternoon at the spa and relax in the hydrotherapy garden. Heaven!

Food:

Ko'Olina BBQ across the street from Aulani was good. We liked the BBQ chicken best.

ABC market had good panini sandwiches and other easy lunch options. Portions were large so we shared.

Just Tacos-- food was not great (I'm from Texas so it takes good Mexican food to impress me) but their tequila selection was extensive and the margaritas are worth a try.

Roy's-- good fixed price option

Brick Oven Pizza in Kapolei

Safeway in Kapolei was super expensive ($7 for a box of cereal). Walmart has better prices for basic grocery items. Buy what you can there then splurge on the other stuff at Safeway.

If you geocache, take time to geocache in Oahu. There are some amazing places to discover.

Aloha!
__________________
poohkinandpiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #42
ejw
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rockaway Park, NY
Posts: 485

where is electric beach?

ellen
__________________

ejw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #43
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...
 
podsnel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Posts: 6,877

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohkinandpiglet View Post
We just returned from 11 days at Aulani. Here's a random list of some of my favorites.

North Shore: Giovanni's Shrimp truck, Woody's corn on the cob and Ted's bakery (loved the mini chocolate chip macadamian nut cookies)
Matsumoto's shaved ice, too.

We ate appetizers for dinner off The Olelo Room menu while listening to the live music. Loved the nightly live music in a beautiful setting! Ama Ama was our favorite on-site restaurant for a nice sit down meal.

Try a Tropical Ginger Lemonade if you've never had one. YUM!

The Swap meet at Aloha Stadium is every Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday. It's a great place to shop for souvenirs including locally made items.

Electric Beach is a great place to snorkel. The power from the electric company heats the water offshore and attracts all types of fish, eels, sea turtles, etc . . .

Spend an afternoon at the spa and relax in the hydrotherapy garden. Heaven!

Food:

Ko'Olina BBQ across the street from Aulani was good. We liked the BBQ chicken best.

ABC market had good panini sandwiches and other easy lunch options. Portions were large so we shared.

Just Tacos-- food was not great (I'm from Texas so it takes good Mexican food to impress me) but their tequila selection was extensive and the margaritas are worth a try.

Roy's-- good fixed price option

Brick Oven Pizza in Kapolei

Safeway in Kapolei was super expensive ($7 for a box of cereal). Walmart has better prices for basic grocery items. Buy what you can there then splurge on the other stuff at Safeway.

If you geocache, take time to geocache in Oahu. There are some amazing places to discover.

Aloha!
Great list- thanks for sharing! Also, very glad to hear you enjoyed Ama Ama- does that mean it has improved?
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:29 AM   #44
spleen
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw View Post
where is electric beach?

ellen
Electric Beach (also known as Kahe Point) is slightly to the west of Aulani. Keep going west on Farrington Highway (the main road/highway outside of Aulani) until you see the big electrical plant on the right - it's the beach across the street. Be warned that break ins are pretty common in cars parked there so I would make sure not to leave any valuables in the car. It's definitely a much better snorkeling spot than anywhere in Ko Olina (where Aulani is). I got PADI certified there ...

http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com...norkeling.html
__________________
spleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #45
Figee17
Mouseketeer
 
Figee17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Worcester, MA
Posts: 284

If you are able, head over to Kaneohe at some point. They have some good restaurants over there as well. Or favorite is Haleiwa Joe's at Haiku Gardens (http://www.haleiwajoes.com/111111_hj...neohemain.html). Great food, beautiful view, and nice atmosphere. While over there, be sure to visit the Byodo-In Temple (http://www.byodo-in.com/) which is very close by and a beautiful, peaceful spot. Enjoy! I have been to Hawaii three times, but not to aulani yet, I can't wait to go!
Figee17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: