Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #46
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Wow, what a great start. It is so exciting that you were able to keep it a secret from your kids the entire time. I would NEVER be able to do that! But I'm sure when you saw the look on their faces it was all worth it. I can't wait to read more!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #47
momabaarjo
You might be a Disney Princess, but I'm a Disney Queen

Christmas Eve Night

Christmas Eve Night

After seeming to be gone forever (yes, I should know better and just enjoy the peace while I have it) Jeff finally returns with the kids. The went and saw Tin-Tin...we usually go see a movie Christmas Eve afternoon as a family, our little tradition that we have done every year since the kids were little...I told them I was not feeling well and just really wanted to sleep. They were disappointed, but we were able to pass it off to them without much selling.

We get dressed for mass and head to MILs (mind you they leave a block away…but we do not see them a lot since we have 3 kids on 3 different schedules). We get to the inlaws and MIL who decorates HUGE for Christmas does not have anything up but her Nativity. WHAT THE HECK? The kids did not say anything about no Christmas tree, but I am sure their heads are full of questions…think, think, think…we will just tell them that Grandad did not have the strength (this fall he had some health issues lately) to drag the tree out this year…another lie I am going to have to confess to our priest! The kids each open a present. Phew, it seems like the near miss is with a forced early revel has been diverted and I can enjoy the evening. We then together head off to Christmas Eve Mass where Ab and Boo play for mass…(okay a mommie moment, you have to listen to them play…Ab has been playing the violin for 7 years and Boo the guitar of a year…this is the first time they played together).

The video is a little dark, but you can still hear them playing!

We get home around 11 pm…Jesus gets put in the nativity, we sing Happy Birthday, Santa gets his oreos and milk (we did not bake this year), I get the kids off to bed and Jeff sneaks down to his parents and gets the presents from them and we are into bed because I know how early Santa is coming! As soon as my head hit the pillow I was out, until...

I wake with a startle about 3:30 am realizing that I am not ready for reveal stage 2 and what if the boys had gotten up in the middle of the night?!

Last edited by momabaarjo; 01-16-2012 at 11:49 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #48
addictedtothemouse
DIS Veteran

I can't wait to see their reactions to the reveal.
How did you do it? I couldn't keep a secret like that for 11 days let alone 11 months.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #49
ZFamily5
DIS Veteran

Keep going!

I can't wait to see their reaction to the big moment!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2750029

2013 Disneyland Paris PTR:
Pixie Dust in Paris!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post47067772

2013 Disneyland Paris TR:
"She Ate Human!"
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3135334
Old 01-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #50
shocky5
DIS Veteran

Awww I did not know your MIL caused that turmoil for you! I'm so sorry I missed that!! I'm glad she came to an agreement with you and was good to just let you all put the kids gifts (minus one) in their travel bags. But oh the stress... Don't you just love how in-laws can bring immediate tension and anxiety into your typically happy relationship with your spouse?

I am loving reading your report! It's surreal to think that your trip was building up to start as ours was winding down... the nice part of that is I felt like I was a part of Disney from the time Ann and Heather left, while my family was there alongside Ashley's and Susan's, and didn't stop until you notified us that you'd arrived home safely! The past 5 weeks have been a total blur because of that!

I just have to say again I absolutely love the picture of your family at Discovery Cove. Can't wait to hear how that adventure went!

Happy Monday! Hope you have a great week! Nolan started mine off with a barf-o-rama last night, all night, and through today. My washing machine hasn't stopped since and our house smells like a hospital... SO don't have time for all of us to go down!

The Last of the OCD Type A Planners to get her TR started - December 2011 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post43707322

Feb'15*PHM*AKL*May'14*AOA Vacation*Dec'11*Poly Xmas*May'09*Poly Vacation*June'07*Poly Vacation*Feb'89*MK-EP*offsite*June'88*Disneyland*offsite*February'88* EP*offsite
Old 01-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #51
lilpixiebabe101
DIS Veteran

Location: Lousiana- 14 hours away from my happiest place on earth!!!

I read it in the PTR.. but I still just can't believe she was trying to ruin a year long surprise like that!!!

Love the waffles and movie on christmas eve morning!

Can't believe you and all your planning glory had forgotten to set up for stage 2!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #52
swwake
RIP our sweet Magic (09/27/10)

Tammie - I love your penchant for story telling! Your MIL sounds a bit like my Mom - it's all about her and attention on her.

I love your Christmas eve traditions.

Can't wait to hear what happens at 3:30am!

Visit my travel blog: Oh, the Places We'll Go!
December 2011 PTR September 2010 Trip Report Oasis of the Seas Cruise TR Las Vegas TR
1974, 1983, 1987, 1989 off property * 1988 DL * 1989 Premiere Cruise & Disney * 1997 ASMu * 1998 CBR * 2000 DL * 2008 BC * 2010 AKL CL * 2011 Poly CL * 2013 CBR
Old 01-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #53
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Great vid of the kids playing silent night.

Also can't wait to see reveal.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #54
momabaarjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Great intro! Awesome Discovery Cove picture!
Thanks...it was a good picture...but wait until you hear about the build up to that picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
What a great intro! I love the family pic and cant wait to hear more about your trip.
Thanks...oh you will hear probably more than you want to hear or read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocky5 View Post
Yeah! I love the family picture! You have a beautiful family!

Thanks...sometimes I think they are pretty great too, not so much at the moment!

I have to snicker at the similarities in our children... specifically our #3's! Constantly on the go and pestering the older siblings... It has to have something to do with the fact that they were not 'planned' and knowing what a planner you and I both are, I can imagine your shock just as my own when discovering I was pregnant with #3.

Yes Goo was VERY UNPLANNED...long story short I was having feritility issues before he was born and had not ovulated in over 2 years. GYN decides that we can go ahead and do the hystrorectmy (spelling is not my strong point) that fall but since 3 other people on my campus are doing the same thing I get him to hold off until spring...that October God had other plans and I became preg with Goo. I was in shock and denial...but I think the doctor was in more shock when I told him to run the test! There went the Alaska Cruise I was saving for that summer for our 10th anniversary...people at school thought I was dying...I was so sick with him, never sick at all with the other 2. Imagine their when I told them the situation.

Hope you are having a great weekend! Stay warm!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leger13 View Post
Hi Tammie! He is doing great! Oh yes he certainly was. My living room looks like toys r us exploded in it. There are definitely pictures to see on my PTR. Only 3 weeks for us till our trip!

The fun...I am getting so excited to here about Alex's first trip!

Great intro of your family! Your Ab sounds just like my oldest niece. She's an over achiever too and such a great young lady. Can't wait to read the first trip update. No pressure of course
She is a special girl...but sometimes I feel like I just want to disown her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl_underwood View Post
Your teen sounds a whole lot like mine, cant wait to read all about yout trip!
Glad to know there are others in the same boat with their dd as I am with mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swwake View Post
I am here! Yay!!
I knew you would get here sooner or later...with all the traveling you have been doing my head is spinning. I loved your Breckenridge photos...my mom has a condo there! Although I hear the snow is not that great this year...hope there was enough for you guys to have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Love the DC pic!
Thanks...I loved yours too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaKnits View Post
Wow, what a great start. It is so exciting that you were able to keep it a secret from your kids the entire time. I would NEVER be able to do that! But I'm sure when you saw the look on their faces it was all worth it. I can't wait to read more!
I hope I don't disappoint, the secret was hard but it was fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtothemouse View Post
I can't wait to see their reactions to the reveal.
How did you do it? I couldn't keep a secret like that for 11 days let alone 11 months.
Lucky for me I found some great DIS friends to blab to all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFamily5 View Post
Keep going!

Tryings...not doing so good getting the TR off and going!

I can't wait to see their reaction to the big moment!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocky5 View Post
Awww I did not know your MIL caused that turmoil for you! I'm so sorry I missed that!! I'm glad she came to an agreement with you and was good to just let you all put the kids gifts (minus one) in their travel bags. But oh the stress... Don't you just love how in-laws can bring immediate tension and anxiety into your typically happy relationship with your spouse?

Mine certainly does...I am trying to figure out how I can save $$$ to take a trip every year someplace at Christmas and avoid both sides of the family!

I am loving reading your report! It's surreal to think that your trip was building up to start as ours was winding down... the nice part of that is I felt like I was a part of Disney from the time Ann and Heather left, while my family was there alongside Ashley's and Susan's, and didn't stop until you notified us that you'd arrived home safely! The past 5 weeks have been a total blur because of that!

Me too...it was like Disney for 6 weeks!

I just have to say again I absolutely love the picture of your family at Discovery Cove. Can't wait to hear how that adventure went!

Happy Monday! Hope you have a great week! Nolan started mine off with a barf-o-rama last night, all night, and through today. My washing machine hasn't stopped since and our house smells like a hospital... SO don't have time for all of us to go down!
Hope Nolan is doing better...I hate the o-rama...keep reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpixiebabe101 View Post
I read it in the PTR.. but I still just can't believe she was trying to ruin a year long surprise like that!!!

She was, trust me...

Love the waffles and movie on christmas eve morning!

Chocolate chip waffles with whip cream and strawberries!

Can't believe you and all your planning glory had forgotten to set up for stage 2!!!
Yep...I think I was just too tired to think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swwake View Post
Tammie - I love your penchant for story telling! Your MIL sounds a bit like my Mom - it's all about her and attention on her.

I love your Christmas eve traditions.

Can't wait to hear what happens at 3:30am!
Hopefully you will not have to wait...I am trying to figure out clipping videos, putting them together, and then youtube...not so much fun!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #55
FosterA
DIS Veteran

Tammie,
I am literally on the edge of my seat waiting to hear all about your trip! You guys did so much and we're gone for so long that I can't wait to hear all the details. Plus, it's very interesting to hear about how other's teen girls acted.
I hope you have lots of photos to share too!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #56
Sara1Babe
Mouseketeer

I'm in. I read most of the PTR but I'm not sure I ever said "hi" I can't wait to hear the ups and downs in your TR

Old 01-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #57
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Keep going!! I want to read more. I never had a chance to read about this on your PTR so I'm dying to know what happens next!

Mom: Laura Dad: John DD: Bethany, 16 DS: John I, 14
PTR 70th Birthday Celebration
Do you know where the kids are? TR of our first Magic cruise

Trips: DL 1985 / WDW 2008: Stayed off site / WDW 2011: AKL and POFQ / DCL 2014: Magic,4 day
Old 01-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #58
momabaarjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterA View Post
Tammie,
I am literally on the edge of my seat waiting to hear all about your trip! You guys did so much and we're gone for so long that I can't wait to hear all the details. Plus, it's very interesting to hear about how other's teen girls acted.
I hope you have lots of photos to share too!
Trust me I took lots of pictures...trying to get my photo pass share edited and then the pictures will begin. I can't wait to share some shocking observations of my dd with you...but I will let you know that I saw her smile more in a couple weeks than the entire last year while we were on our trip, that made it well worth everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1Babe View Post
I'm in. I read most of the PTR but I'm not sure I ever said "hi" I can't wait to hear the ups and downs in your TR
Glad to have you here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemama View Post
Keep going!! I want to read more. I never had a chance to read about this on your PTR so I'm dying to know what happens next!
Such expectations to live up to, especially when I am thinking my trip was pretty normal and not so eventful!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #59
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran

Cant wait for the reveal! So exciting!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #60
momabaarjo

Reveal Phase 2: Part 1

Reveal Phase 2: Part 1

I literally set up in bed in a panic about needing to get things ready and done, I had been having nightmares for the last month about missing our flight because we had gotten up late. Of course Jeff is sleeping soundly next to me, not a care to the world. I quickly rush out of bed drag the HUGE Reveal box out from its hiding place in our room and place it beside the tree. I turn on the tree and stop to admire the beauty and the quietness of the moment.

I always like this time on Christmas morning, the kids are not up and the presents under the twinkling tree. Next, I quickly polish off the oreos left on Santa's plate and dump the milk down the sink...yuck warm milk that has been sitting out all night and place Kirby's goodbye letter on the plate. The travel bags (err stockings) are pulled from their hiding place along with Santa's gift and set in front of the tv.

Looking at the clock it is now close to 4:00 am, there is no way I will able to settle down and I go ahead and hop in the shower and get ready for the day. By the time (around 5:30 am) I am done getting around, I think that Jeff will finally be up, but is he? No, of course not...why should he I have everything packed, planned and under control all he has to do is go along for the ride. I have to get the kids up in about 15 minutes if we plan to get phase 2 down and out the door by 7:15 am...so I do my best stomping into the bedroom act and ask if him he plans on going with us today because I am getting the kids up in 15 minutes and I know how long it takes him in the shower. He gets up not very happy with me and mutters Merry Christmas and gets in the shower. I go back to the living room and pull out the Trans-Siberian Orchestra DVD (something we do every Christmas morning...open presents to the sounds of TSO) and push play...and head to get the boy up and they happily head into the living room to see what Santa has left in the stockings...Now the worst part, getting Ab out of bed in somewhat a decent mood as not to ruin the morning. Can it be done? I quietly come into her room and gently lay down beside her and start quietly begging her to get up and see what Santa has brought since her brothers are up and I really want to do Santa as a family. She rolls over and gives me the look (those of you with teenage daughters know the look and it can be seen even in a darkened room) and the huff, and again I am resorting to begging and bribing...if you get up now you can go back to bed until midmorning and get up for family presents and breakfast. Another huff and demand of a promise to let her go back to bed... I smile to myself as I say "Yes you can go back to bed if you want...". Before I leave her room I ask that she tries to be nice for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, I hear Jeff get out of the shower and the boys squealing with delight as they are finding all the fun stuff in their stockings. I glance at the clock 5:55, 5 minutes ahead of schedule. I meet the boys back in the living room and have fun watching them unload the travel bags when Ab joins us 5 minutes later. About the time that the kids finish with their stockings Jeff appears and we are ready to do Santa's gift, and even Ab is sporting a smile. But will anyone notice the HUGE, LONE present near the tree?

Stockings
A few months back Goo and I were in Walgreens and I found the perfect sized little duffle bags for carry on bags, told Goo that they would make great travel bags for the car (which they will, but not this trip). I thought originally that I would have them in the reveal box as a gift and have the kids put all their stocking stuff into them right before we left, but Goo gave me a better idea a few weeks ago…that kid has a memory…he asked me what happened to those bags we had bought together that they would make great stockings. I told him good thinking, let me ask Kirby if Santa likes this idea…guess Santa agreed because Santa left the stocking stuff in the bags with his gift. The stockings were filled with things that the kids could use to pass the time away on the plane, as well as snacks and little things they could use during our trip.

Santa’s Gift
Santa left the Ab & Boo cash this year and Goo furbished I-pod. Santa brings 1 gift to our house each year, something the kids REALLY WANT. With the two oldest being non-believers now I figured that they would not question cash…of course I attached a note saying that he just did not know what to get them this year and he hoped this would help them get just the right gift! Goo has been wanting his own I-pod to listen to music on…I figured that I could give a 6 year old an I-pod that cost me $30 and not stress out when either he breaks it or it gets lost (he also got some cash but it was from mom and dad).

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: