Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
sunsprinkle24
Mouseketeer

Ideas on what/how to write a babysitting ad

I am wanting to start babysitting children in my home. Does anyone have any ideas on what to say?

This is all I can come up with so far:

Mother of 4 children ages 22-10 would like to babysit in my home. First, Second, and Third shifts ok.

The reason I put my childrens ages is because, I didn't want the parent to think I had 4 little ones at home and couldn't handle another child. I have had CPR certification but it was 3 years ago... so not sure whether to put CPR certified or not.

Anything else you would add?
sunsprinkle24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

how about getting your okey from the city or state...that always helps...they come and check your house for fire hazards and your record...
Then put in experienced...and yes cpr is a good thing to have...

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Diegosmom
DIS Veteran

You can put CPR trained but I wont use the term certified because that implies you are up to date, which you are not. It wont hurt to take the training again so you are up to date. I just sent one of my guys at work and I think it was $65.
Diegosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
MaryAnnDVC
"Mare", DISing since '99; prefers being tagless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprinkle24 View Post
I am wanting to start babysitting children in my home. Does anyone have any ideas on what to say?

This is all I can come up with so far:

Mother of 4 children ages 22-10 would like to babysit in my home. First, Second, and Third shifts ok.

The reason I put my childrens ages is because, I didn't want the parent to think I had 4 little ones at home and couldn't handle another child. I have had CPR certification but it was 3 years ago... so not sure whether to put CPR certified or not.

Anything else you would add?
Look online for ads from babysitting/nannying websites for ideas.

Off the top of my head, I'd say to change "would like to" to "will". Not a biggie, but it sounds less wishy washy to me.

I'd be prepared to answer questions about all your children, and who lives at home. Some people might be less comfortable about older kids living at home, because they not only have to feel comfortable with you, but them as well.

I don't know anything about CPR certification. Are you still certified or not? If "yes", you should say that. If "no", I'd get re-certified anyway if I were you and definitely mention it in the ad.

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
TheSchragFamily
Mouseketeer

I would put something about your philosophy of dealing with kids, activities, if you provide food, what you do about punishment, etc. I would want to know this about a potential babysitter. And you should definitely update your CPR/First Aid since it will make you more attractive to a lot of people (especially for very little ones, they will probably be less nervous). And your rates if you know them...you could check Craigslist to see what the going rate is in your area.
TheSchragFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Diegosmom
DIS Veteran

Oh and I like that you put the ages...You have a 22 year old that survived so you must be decent lol...also it means that you are a bit older. Experience especially with kids comes with age and sometimes I feel like a 40 something is better then a 20 something...although funny I just started having a friend watch my son and she is 28...lol
Diegosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
happygirl
DIS Veteran

I would put if you provide food or if the parents had to bring food. Ages of children you want to watch. What days If you are willing to accept state pay
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
cornflake
DIS Veteran

I don't think you should put prices and all the specifics in the ad - you want the ad to entice people to call or email you, and then you can work out the specifics based on their situation.

I'd make it sound enticing or a bit funny maybe - like 'Very experienced mom to four great kids (aged 10-22) now available to watch a select group of children in my own home. Warm, nurturing environment, crafts and activities daily (or whatever, even if you just say 'kids only parked in front of television if about to lose my mind' or something funny, make clear you're not just going to park 'em and ignore them... uhm, assuming you won't, heh), ages whatever to whatever welcome. CPR trained/certified/whatever. Contact me at # or email.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

I'd check with your child services and find out what you are allowed to do. Here, legally one can only watch one child other than their own.

I would add the ages you are willing to take ie 2 - 5 yrs etc.
If willing to take infants, I would specify that.
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
LynnTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
I don't think you should put prices and all the specifics in the ad - you want the ad to entice people to call or email you, and then you can work out the specifics based on their situation.

I'd make it sound enticing or a bit funny maybe - like 'Very experienced mom to four great kids (aged 10-22) now available to watch a select group of children in my own home. Warm, nurturing environment, crafts and activities daily (or whatever, even if you just say 'kids only parked in front of television if about to lose my mind' or something funny, make clear you're not just going to park 'em and ignore them... uhm, assuming you won't, heh), ages whatever to whatever welcome. CPR trained/certified/whatever. Contact me at # or email.
I agree with this. All the specifics would be answered in an interview. I have interviewed many day care providers. My kids were in 7 different ones. Some good, some not. So, I got good at asking questions and checking things out.
LynnTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
prncess674
DIS Veteran

I would also mention such things as: smoke free, pet free and CLEAN home. Obviously if these things dont apply then don't mention them.

do you have a child "safety zone" as in an area that is totally child proofed with safetyngates and edge protectors. Your kids are older so you may have several danger zones in your home. Do you have a play room stocked with age appropriate toys or are you expecting parents to supply toys
prncess674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Assuming you are going to take the kids outside every day, add that - e.g., "daily outdoor activities, weather permitting." Parents will know that kids will get some running around time, not just indoor play.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
Piper
DIS Veteran

You should definitely check with the local agencies regulating child care. It is not a difficult thing to register and you should meet the criteria before you care for anyone else's child. You may also want to check with your insurance company to make sure you are covered!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: