Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Countdowns and Live Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #76
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaDVCwannabe View Post
On the subject of spreedsheets I really want to make one but I'm not sure where to start. Does anyone have a format they are willing so share? Or just a list of items they include on theirs?

Thanks in advance
What do you want to use the spreadsheet for? The one that I have completed so far is a spending money one. Actually, it does several things. I am able to put in the amount that I am adding to it and it keeps a running total of it. Then it takes that total and breaks that down into how much each person get. For mine 10% of the total is going towards gifts for family not coming on the trip. Then I divide the left over 90% into 1/2 and that is what I get (which is 45% of the total). The other 1/2 of the 90% is broken down by 1/2 again and that is what each of our DSs get, so basically they get 1/4 of 90% (or 22.5% of the total). I'm leaving my DH out on purpose per his request of not needing any spending money. Then I have a section for when I'm counting the Disney pig, or Jonseph as the DSs named it. Jonseph is my lazy way of calling both my DSs at the same time. Their names are Joseph and John, so if I need them both instead of calling both names, I just yell "Jon-seph". It has a cell for each bill and coin. Then in the next cell, I put the number of that bill (or coin) I counted in the pig. In the next cell over I have a formula that calculate how much total of that bill (or coin) I have. So if I counted 10 quarter, the last cell will tell me I have $2.50 in quarters. Then it adds it all together, so I know the total in there. Then it subtracts the last total from the new one, and it tells me how much I've increased it since I last counted. I then take that number and put into the first section that keep the running total. Which then gives me an updated amount for each person. I'll try and post a picture of it. It's not totally done yet, though. I still want to tweak it just a little.

The one for our ADR's, I just need to remake it. Is set up into individual days. Those days are them broken down into three big blocks for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. In those blocks will have the time, restaurant name, and confirmation number. Also, I can put how many TS credits it is worth. Then I have a formula that keeps track of how many I have spent, and how many I have left to use. This help me a ton when I was planning a May 2009 trip (that was canceled) in making all of our ADRs. It made sure that I didn't go over the amount I had. Plus the CM that made the ressie's on the phone, said that it made her job super easy.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #77
ImaDVCwannabe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
What do you want to use the spreadsheet for? The one that I have completed so far is a spending money one. Actually, it does several things. I am able to put in the amount that I am adding to it and it keeps a running total of it. Then it takes that total and breaks that down into how much each person get. For mine 10% of the total is going towards gifts for family not coming on the trip. Then I divide the left over 90% into 1/2 and that is what I get (which is 45% of the total). The other 1/2 of the 90% is broken down by 1/2 again and that is what each of our DSs get, so basically they get 1/4 of 90% (or 22.5% of the total). I'm leaving my DH out on purpose per his request of not needing any spending money. Then I have a section for when I'm counting the Disney pig, or Jonseph as the DSs named it. Jonseph is my lazy way of calling both my DSs at the same time. Their names are Joseph and John, so if I need them both instead of calling both names, I just yell "Jon-seph". It has a cell for each bill and coin. Then in the next cell, I put the number of that bill (or coin) I counted in the pig. In the next cell over I have a formula that calculate how much total of that bill (or coin) I have. So if I counted 10 quarter, the last cell will tell me I have $2.50 in quarters. Then it adds it all together, so I know the total in there. Then it subtracts the last total from the new one, and it tells me how much I've increased it since I last counted. I then take that number and put into the first section that keep the running total. Which then gives me an updated amount for each person. I'll try and post a picture of it. It's not totally done yet, though. I still want to tweak it just a little.

The one for our ADR's, I just need to remake it. Is set up into individual days. Those days are them broken down into three big blocks for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. In those blocks will have the time, restaurant name, and confirmation number. Also, I can put how many TS credits it is worth. Then I have a formula that keeps track of how many I have spent, and how many I have left to use. This help me a ton when I was planning a May 2009 trip (that was canceled) in making all of our ADRs. It made sure that I didn't go over the amount I had. Plus the CM that made the ressie's on the phone, said that it made her job super easy.

WOW those are awesome so organized. See I'm having a hard time because I have had some friends who have visited WDW way more than myself tell me that I shouldn't over plan given the age of my kids. However when my DH and I were there for our honeymoon the organized schedule I made really helped and allowed us to make the most of each park and day. So the over planning organization freak in me really wants to make a spreadsheet that includes park hours, crowd levels, ADR's, spending money, a must see section for each kid at each park. I just don't know if its needed or worth making given the age of my kids. I know I need to make the character meal ADR's but from there should I just go with the flow and let happen what happens? I know too many questions. Its just our first trip with the kids and I don't want to look back and regret doing or not doing something, even if its just in the planning stages

Disney World Honeymoon Pop Jan 2008
ImaDVCwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #78
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
WOW those are awesome so organized. See I'm having a hard time because I have had some friends who have visited WDW way more than myself tell me that I shouldn't over plan given the age of my kids. However when my DH and I were there for our honeymoon the organized schedule I made really helped and allowed us to make the most of each park and day. So the over planning organization freak in me really wants to make a spreadsheet that includes park hours, crowd levels, ADR's, spending money, a must see section for each kid at each park. I just don't know if its needed or worth making given the age of my kids. I know I need to make the character meal ADR's but from there should I just go with the flow and let happen what happens? I know too many questions. Its just our first trip with the kids and I don't want to look back and regret doing or not doing something, even if its just in the planning stages
As long as you're not forcing them to help you with all of your OCD planning, I just wouldn't listen to it. Honestly, with kids that young I would think you need to be more organized. It will help remind you of what you wanted them to see on their first trip. Once you get there, you'll get lost in their faces and reaction, and you might get home and realize "oh poo, we didn't do that" or "I meant to do that, but I totally forgot".

That spreadsheet is so everyone know how much they can spend. As soon as the DSs find out about the trip, I will be able to tell them exactly how much money they can spend over the trip. If you want, I can customize one for your family. You'll have to tell me how much for each person and how you want it divided up. Then once you join the FB group, I can put it on there.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 01-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #79
SandiKB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
\

Ugh, sorry he told the kids but on a positive note, now you can hold him to the trip!! And it just means he is excited about going, too!

I've ready many threads on DIS where one spouse (usually the DH) just doesn't like Disney and it is sad for the other person.

Maybe not a lot of consolation but ...
Yeah, I doubt it. He's so not a Disney person Once he gets there he's 'ok', but he'd much rather go somewhere else. I keep telling him, the kids are only little once. Our last mini vacation we took was to DC and that was all him, the kids like it, but it was really for him. He doesnt get involved with the planning or anything, I do as I please and then let him know what we're doing
Old 01-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #80
SandiKB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
On the subject of spreedsheets I really want to make one but I'm not sure where to start. Does anyone have a format they are willing so share? Or just a list of items they include on theirs?

Thanks in advance

I have a few tabs on mine.

The first page is my Trip Budget, that includes package price, gas, food on the road, spending money, tip money for TS meals. Then under that I have my monthly amount to put away for the trip which gets transferred into a separate account.

Second page is general itinerary for each day, ie, what park, where to eat, must do's, that kind of stuff

Third page is more detailed on where we're eating, with reservation numbers and times
Old 01-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #81
SandiKB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Then I have a section for when I'm counting the Disney pig, or Jonseph as the DSs named it. Jonseph is my lazy way of calling both my DSs at the same time. Their names are Joseph and John, so if I need them both instead of calling both names, I just yell "Jon-seph".

That's too funny, my youngest DS is Jonathan Joseph, LOL
Old 01-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #82
letthewookiewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiKB View Post
Yeah, I doubt it. He's so not a Disney person Once he gets there he's 'ok', but he'd much rather go somewhere else. I keep telling him, the kids are only little once. Our last mini vacation we took was to DC and that was all him, the kids like it, but it was really for him. He doesnt get involved with the planning or anything, I do as I please and then let him know what we're doing
Is your DH's name David and does he have dark brown hair and is about 5'10". If so, we may have the same DH. Your DH sounds just like mine. He's fine once we get there, but before we get there, he doesn't want to help plan. Well besides keeping the budget as tiny as possible.

Our last trip was with his mom and dad, and his brother's family. We drove down to Houston, TX. We went to the LBJ Space Center, museums, and I went fishing in the Gulf (or maybe it was just in the bay) with my DH and oldest DS. Let's just say I'll never ever eat eggs for breakfast before getting on a fishing boat ever again. I saw the trip as a dry run for the Grand Gathering to WDW that I would love to happen with his family (but probably never will).

Quote:
That's too funny, my youngest DS is Jonathan Joseph, LOL

Our oldest DS was supposed to have been named Isaac, but then my sister pitched a fit. Her name is Kassi (not short for anything), and she said that she always dreamed of naming her first son Isaac. She was going to spell it Issak, so it would be her named spelled backwards. That was 14 years ago. Not too long ago, I was eating at Five Guys burgers with my mom and sis before we went to a movie and I asked my sis, "so when exactly is it that baby Issak is going to be born?" She just blushed and giggled.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #83
SandiKB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Is your DH's name David and does he have dark brown hair and is about 5'10". If so, we may have the same DH. Your DH sounds just like mine. He's fine once we get there, but before we get there, he doesn't want to help plan. Well besides keeping the budget as tiny as possible.

Close, same description, though hair is mostly gray now, and his name is John, LOL
Old 01-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #84
letthewookiewin

Quote:
Close, same description, though hair is mostly gray now, and his name is John, LOL
Ah, so he's a sneaky one.....using another name and putting more grey in his hair.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #85
ImaDVCwannabe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
As long as you're not forcing them to help you with all of your OCD planning, I just wouldn't listen to it. Honestly, with kids that young I would think you need to be more organized. It will help remind you of what you wanted them to see on their first trip. Once you get there, you'll get lost in their faces and reaction, and you might get home and realize "oh poo, we didn't do that" or "I meant to do that, but I totally forgot".

That spreadsheet is so everyone know how much they can spend. As soon as the DSs find out about the trip, I will be able to tell them exactly how much money they can spend over the trip. If you want, I can customize one for your family. You'll have to tell me how much for each person and how you want it divided up. Then once you join the FB group, I can put it on there.
Thanks for the advice! I would love for you to make one for me. Let me talk to my DH and see what his thoughts are on the spending limit and then I can get back to you. Again thanks so much for all your help and your willingness to do that for me

Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #86
ImaDVCwannabe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I have a few tabs on mine.

The first page is my Trip Budget, that includes package price, gas, food on the road, spending money, tip money for TS meals. Then under that I have my monthly amount to put away for the trip which gets transferred into a separate account.

Second page is general itinerary for each day, ie, what park, where to eat, must do's, that kind of stuff

Third page is more detailed on where we're eating, with reservation numbers and times
Thanks for the info these are some really great ideas!!

Old 01-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #87
letthewookiewin

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I would love for you to make one for me. Let me talk to my DH and see what his thoughts are on the spending limit and then I can get back to you. Again thanks so much for all your help and your willingness to do that for me
np at all, I love making them. I can just adjust mine to fit you. Just tell me the total spending money you want, and how you want it broken down. Like with mine it's broken down into John, Joey, me, and family gifts. Then what percentage of the total you want each section/person to have.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #88
letthewookiewin

It's so quiet in here.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #89
UndercoverMama
Mouseketeer

I drank coffee too late so now I am wide awake, but my 2 yo keeps waking up when I move so I see a good solid chunk of disney dreamin' time I have been looking at cute dresses on etsy for the little girls to wear. Thinking of making my, then 14 year old wear, a birthday shirt, but not sure she'd ever wear it again...

I DVRd Robin Hood the other day so that may be our first countdown night movie. Maybe tomorrow? I'll have to go find the movie theme night thread for some ideas
Old 01-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #90
letthewookiewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndercoverMama View Post
I drank coffee too late so now I am wide awake, but my 2 yo keeps waking up when I move so I see a good solid chunk of disney dreamin' time I have been looking at cute dresses on etsy for the little girls to wear. Thinking of making my, then 14 year old wear, a birthday shirt, but not sure she'd ever wear it again...

I DVRd Robin Hood the other day so that may be our first countdown night movie. Maybe tomorrow? I'll have to go find the movie theme night thread for some ideas
I'm so glad I don't have girls b/c I would be broke. Not in buying stuff on Etsy, but buying the material so my mom can make stuff. I know that on Etsy I have seen birthday shirts with Mickey heads. What if you get her one of those and that she's turning 14. Then after your trip, you can turn it into a pillow for her bed. I'm still up working on the FB project, but I'll be turning the laptop off soon. My DH starts raiding in World of Warcraft between 11:30 & midnight, and I usually shut down about that time. I don't usually go straight to sleep though. Usually when I lay down, my mind raced and I can't sleep. I have found that if I play Solitaire until I've won at least 10 games, while listening to the soundtrack from the movie "Queen of the Darned". That really cracks my DH up. That with all of the music from John Williams and other movies score on my iPhone, I listen to music from a vampire movie to get sleepy.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: