Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Countdowns and Live Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #691
resablue
Earning My Ears

Is anyone who is not a runner worried about the crowds in January? I have a room only reservation for the 6-12 but I am thinking of moving it up to avoid the crowds. the guy on the reservation line said, don't worry, they don't run in the park...uhh, he was wrong, according to what I have read.
resablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #692
readytogotodisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by resablue View Post
Is anyone who is not a runner worried about the crowds in January? I have a room only reservation for the 6-12 but I am thinking of moving it up to avoid the crowds. the guy on the reservation line said, don't worry, they don't run in the park...uhh, he was wrong, according to what I have read.
They only run in the parks before park opening, they won't be going through when the public is there. It's been awhile since we went over marathon weekend, but I didn't think it effected the crowds too much. We only noticed that it was marathon weekend when we were on a Disney bus that went next to a lot of runners!
DL - 10/12 DCL - 4/13 ~ Dream 11/14 ~Dream
readytogotodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #693
JCH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytogotodisney

They only run in the parks before park opening, they won't be going through when the public is there. It's been awhile since we went over marathon weekend, but I didn't think it effected the crowds too much. We only noticed that it was marathon weekend when we were on a Disney bus that went next to a lot of runners!
Not entirely true. For the half, there will be people running through Epcot until about 10, an hour after opening. For the Full, you may see runners in Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and definitely Epcot. In fact, they will be going through Epcot until about 1PM.

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
JCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #694
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrank9504 View Post
Just booked our annual January getaway! We are staying at the Cabins at Fort Wilderness. We stayed there last january and absolutely LOVED it! Its so cozy when its so cold here in january!
We renew our passes in january-so we always stay for 5-7 days and enjoy lighter crowds and cooler weather.
I am so ready to plan!!!! and I love cooking my own food. I am bringing my crock pot this year! bring on the stew.
& added I didn't notice specific dates, so I just put you in undecided. If you want to put your dates, I'll update ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by resablue View Post
I'm not worried about it at all. I can't imagine the crowds to be as bad as they were in June. We were able to do everything we wanted to, and we didn't even use one single FP. When we checked into our lunch ADR at Mama Melrose's, they did give us the Fantasmic package, even though we didn't have it. They said they had some left over and gave them to us. We ended up giving them to a family we were in line for Toy Story with. We had an ADR for Le Cellier that night and we couldn't make Fantasmic.

Well if my DH agrees to my crazy idea, I may have just put the last nail in the coffin for our January 2013 trip. I am a huge Olympic junkie and have to watch it every moment it is on tv. Two of the items in the top 10 of my bucket list are to go to an opening ceremony of an Olympic games, and go to Russia. Well in 2014, the year of our 20th wedding anniversary, the Olympic games are in Russia. I would love to go to it. If he doesn't agree to it, I guess I'll just have to settle for a WDW January 2013 trip.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #695
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by resablue
We found visiting hs or ak during the marathon great. Some of the runners will visit mk and Epcot for a short trip during their stay. We are visiting Disney the same time as you and I don't think either if us will have any problems. Where are you staying? The buses get a little busier on the weekend nights during the marathon.

mickeyplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #696
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Joining in!

Traveling from January 19-26 and staying at Art of Animation

Jan 2009: Pop Engagement Celebration
May 2010: CBR Wedding Trip
September 2011: A POPtastic Anniversary Pre-Trip Report Trip Report
January 2013: A Winter Getaway PreTrip Report Trip Report
He says no, but I'll find a way to go! ~ A December PTR in the making
DisneyLifer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #697
ButterflyJen
Mouseketeer

Kim that would be sooooo awesome!!!!

Disneyland Day Trip 1981*Disneyland Day Trip 2000*DL/DCA Day Trip May 2007*Our First WDW Trip Jan 2013...for DD's 6th Birthday!
ButterflyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #698
elfbo
DIS Veteran

We are arriving Jan 26th and leaving Feb 3rd. Staying at POR. It will be me and DH for our first anniversary, and my 2 sisters and 4 year old nephew. Quite a crowd, but we wanted everyone to be able to come for the week, instead of having 2 park days like they did last year for the wedding!

POR - Jan 2013!!! (1st Anniversary)
All Stars Movies - Jan 2012 (Wedding!!!)
POFQ - Sep 2004, POR - Sep 2003, WDW - 1996, WDW - 1992, Disneyland - 1984
elfbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #699
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLifer87 View Post
Joining in!

Traveling from January 19-26 and staying at Art of Animation

& added

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfbo View Post
We are arriving Jan 26th and leaving Feb 3rd. Staying at POR. It will be me and DH for our first anniversary, and my 2 sisters and 4 year old nephew. Quite a crowd, but we wanted everyone to be able to come for the week, instead of having 2 park days like they did last year for the wedding!

& added

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyJen View Post
Kim that would be sooooo awesome!!!!
Yes it would be. Plus I told my DH that it was either the 2014 Olympics in Russia or the January 2013 WDW trip. His only option was to pick one, not going on either isn't an option. So either, I get my dream trip to Russia, or I get my dream trip of being at the MK on my bday. It's a win-win for me. Luckily, the DH's uncle just got back from Russia (he works in the oil field), and has already given us some really good tips about going to Russia (I ignored the one about not going there at all). He said that it is most important to bring your own TP from home. He literally got a splinter from the TP in Russia. Then he said to make sure to get brand new US bills for converting into Russian currency. He said the got less for the non-perfect $100 bills that he got for the new and perfect ones.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 07-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #700
MrsMouse74
Earning My Ears

We are staying at POR January 6-11.

So excited! We stayed there for our honeymoon when it was Dixie Landings!
1996 Summer Cast member
June 1997 off site
July 2000 Dixie Landings
November 2006 Pop Century
January 2013 Port Orleans Riverside
MrsMouse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #701
KuyaJeff
Mouseketeer

We just booked our stay...and it looks like we're going to be at CSR for one more night than we originally planned, January 24-31, 2013! Sooooo excited!
KuyaJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #702
letthewookiewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMouse74 View Post
We are staying at POR January 6-11.

So excited! We stayed there for our honeymoon when it was Dixie Landings!
& added

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuyaJeff View Post
We just booked our stay...and it looks like we're going to be at CSR for one more night than we originally planned, January 24-31, 2013! Sooooo excited!
& added

Old 08-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #703
mya174
Earning My Ears

Booked my very first ADR ever! We are doing 'Ohana character breakfast on our last day. Not sure if I will do anymore. I was telling a friend today that this is the most stressful vacation I have ever planned.
mya174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #704
Eventer98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mya174 View Post
Booked my very first ADR ever! We are doing 'Ohana character breakfast on our last day. Not sure if I will do anymore. I was telling a friend today that this is the most stressful vacation I have ever planned.
If you have the funds you should try some more places....there are so many more wonderful places to eat!! Garden Grill is fun for kids..one of my kids favorites

(me) (DH) (DS)(DD) (DD)
I miss you Chris 6/23/75-10/14/12
Eventer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #705
phicara
Earning My Ears

Hi Everyone!

We're going in January for the first time this year. We'll be at WL from Jan 13-21. We had booked in December, but had to push it back. So, we missed free dining.
BUT, all our ADR's have been made, and even though I'm worried about the weather and marathon weekend, I'm so excited. Our youngest will have just turned 2 and I think he'll enjoy it so much more than he did last year.

Can you add me to the list, please?

Thanks!
phicara is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: