Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Countdowns and Live Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #376
Michelle1125
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
But remember they moved the Marathon weekend to one weekend later (Jan 10-13), which puts it closer to MLK weekend (Jan 18 - 21) for those people who will stay at WDW for 7+ days, they will probably overlap both weeks.
Crowds will still be fairly low though, right? We usually go the 3rd week of October for our anniversary. Last year we went the first week of December during Pop Warner. I kept reading not to worry because they don't affect the crowd level, but we thought they did. I think last time we went in January we arrived the weekend of MLK on Sunday and it was pretty busy that day and Monday. After that it was great. Now I'm wondering if we should go the last week of January. Really we're going in January for the cooler temps. October was actually too warm for us the last 2 times we went, despite the fact that we live in Texas.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #377
Michelle1125
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post

& added

WOO HOO!! Another DFW girl!!
Thanks!
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #378
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnhaze View Post
That's what I've read as well, too. I would imagine a lot of Marathoners are busy doing the Marathon rather than seeing the attractions, haha.

I really hope they do release packages for booking in June again. I will have far fewer worries if they do.

I think I could eat at least 2 meals a day just in Epcot and be happy with the food for several days, haha. Deluxe dining seems like the least stressful way to go about it. Plus I did the math and I will save about $150 vs what I would order OOP, without taking snacks into account, so it seems like a good idea.
I know the first ADR rought draft I had made, had us going back to Epcot almost every night for dinner. There are just so many places there that I really want to try. The DH is thinking that for our June trip, we may end up using at least one snack credit on something for breakfast, like some fresh fruit. I think I would rather eat a breakfast bar and save the snack credit for goodies like a Dole Whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyJen View Post
The Easter bunny may have found them for $8 apiece at Target a few weeks ago
I looked them up on their website and John came in and caught me. He saw the monkey and said that he would rather have a cat, but he would like the monkey as well. His nickname is chunky monkey, or just monkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTrunninglady View Post
I'm there!!

January 9 - 16, 2013
& added
I hope you don't mind, but I got your resorts for your trip off of your siggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkf4bucs View Post
Have you added for the 10 - 13. If you want to add a resort, just let me know. I would love to some day run the 1/2 marathon.
We are booked at the Pop for the 11th - 13th. Has to be a quick trip as the kids are in school.[/QUOTE]

Got ya updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy_77 View Post
Good morning everyone!!

TGIF!!
Any Disney planning going on today?
I wish. Today is my grandmother's 89th birthday, and we are supposed to go see her tomorrow for it. I have a Psych and U.S. History paper and quiz that all have to be done and turned in no later than 11:59 PM on Sunday. Plus Sunday is my fil's birthday, so we will have a house full of family for that and they are talking about us all going out to eat and to watch the Three Stooges movie tonight. I didn't get to sleep until after 3 AM and then I woke up when the DH came to bed at almost 4 AM. Then I was back up getting the DSs off to school at 7:10 AM. Well that's when the first alarm went off. I didn't get out of bed until 7:50 AM. Luckily the bus driver was there right at 8:30, so I went back to bed. I haven't been up but for an hour, so I'm going to eat lunch really quick and get started on the school work. No plannin for me today, and probably no knitting either.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #379
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1125 View Post
Crowds will still be fairly low though, right? We usually go the 3rd week of October for our anniversary. Last year we went the first week of December during Pop Warner. I kept reading not to worry because they don't affect the crowd level, but we thought they did. I think last time we went in January we arrived the weekend of MLK on Sunday and it was pretty busy that day and Monday. After that it was great. Now I'm wondering if we should go the last week of January. Really we're going in January for the cooler temps. October was actually too warm for us the last 2 times we went, despite the fact that we live in Texas.
I think January is the new secret time to go! We went the last week in January and loved it!

Comparing to 3rd week of October (2,3, 5s), you will find the crowds for both January weeks busier than October.

The Thurs to Monday forecasts

Marathon weekend: 3, 4, 7, 7, 5s

MLK weekend: 5, 5, 7, 6, 6s

Park hours for MK are longer on MLK w/e (staying open until 12am with EMH until 3am!! and even regular open until 1am).

The last week of January is 3, 4, 5s.

Hope that helps!
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #380
Michelle1125
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I think January is the new secret time to go! We went the last week in January and loved it!

Comparing to 3rd week of October (2,3, 5s), you will find the crowds for both January weeks busier than October.

Marathon weekend: 3, 4, 7, 7, 5s

Park hours for MK are longer on MLK w/e (staying open until 12am with EMH until 3am!! and even regular open until 1am).

The last week of January is 3, 4, 5s.

Hope that helps!
Thanks that does help!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #381
ButterflyJen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy_77 View Post
Good morning everyone!!

TGIF!!
Any Disney planning going on today?
I wish!! I had to work today & am bushed. Maybe after the kids are in bed, but doubtful!

Disneyland Day Trip 1981*Disneyland Day Trip 2000*DL/DCA Day Trip May 2007*Our First WDW Trip Jan 2013...for DD's 6th Birthday!
ButterflyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #382
SandiKB
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Hope that helps!
That's not bad at all
Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #383
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiKB View Post
That's not bad at all
Yep, looks good.

It will go up as we get closer to the date and people start booking.

I expect 6/7/8s for MLK weekend.
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #384
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

I realized that I can use a benefit from my job to buy Amtrak tickets, so I am now considering that as an alternative to flying, since I would have to pay little or nothing out of pocket.

Upsides:
- Flights are looking around $200-300
- Possibly more reliable than flying in January, since I've been stranded by very mild weather in airports before
- Wouldn't need to deal with airport security or the extremely strict baggage limits (Amtrak has always been nicer to me, haha)

Downsides:
- 10 days off work instead of 8 (I should have enough vacation time to cover it)
- The internet tells me a taxi would cost me about $60 each way, which is a big chunk of the savings on the flight (Would there be cheaper options for transportation?)
- Flights would allow me to possibly arrive a couple of hours earlier on my arrival day

What do you guys think? I'm not bothered by the idea of 20 hours on a train, but it doesn't save me all that much money unless I can find cheaper transportation or if I ended up stuck with expensive flights.

Last edited by dawnhaze; 04-17-2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: clarity
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #385
SandiKB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yep, looks good.

It will go up as we get closer to the date and people start booking.

I expect 6/7/8s for MLK weekend.
I just hate that I can only go on a holiday weekend
Old 04-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #386
SandiKB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I realized that I can use a benefit from my job to buy Amtrak tickets, so I am now considering that as an alternative to flying, since I would have to pay little or nothing out of pocket.

Upsides:
- Flights are looking around $200-300
- Possibly more reliable than flying in January, since I've been stranded by very mild weather in airports before
- Wouldn't need to deal with airport security or the extremely strict baggage limits (Amtrak has always been nicer to me, haha)

Downsides:
- 10 days off work instead of 8 (I should have enough vacation time to cover it)
- The internet tells me a taxi would cost me about $60 each way, which is a big chunk of the savings on the flight (Would there be cheaper options for transportation?)
- Flights would allow me to possibly arrive a couple of hours earlier on my arrival day

What do you guys think? I'm not bothered by the idea of 20 hours on a train, but it doesn't save me all that much money unless I can find cheaper transportation or if I ended up stuck with expensive flights.
Have you thought about driving? You're about 16 hours from Orlando? I know not much difference than the train, but you'd have your own transportation?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #387
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiKB View Post
Have you thought about driving? You're about 16 hours from Orlando? I know not much difference than the train, but you'd have your own transportation?
I drive about 90 miles a day for my work commute, so I really don't want to drive on vacation, haha. My car has over 100K miles on it and doesn't have cruise control.

Plus, who knows how much gas is going to cost by next year!
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #388
T&G1994
Mouseketeer

First Jan trip 1/03-/09
T&G1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #389
SandiKB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I drive about 90 miles a day for my work commute, so I really don't want to drive on vacation, haha. My car has over 100K miles on it and doesn't have cruise control.

Plus, who knows how much gas is going to cost by next year!
Gotcha! Who knows what gas is going to be next month! I have to go to Ft Laud to pick up my mom, and I'm dreading that trip!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #390
daisy_77
BL II - Blue Team
I had no idea that we shrink as the day goes on

Hope you are all having a wonderful week so far! This has been a crazy one for me!

Saturday I found out that we are going to be having a baby! While I am WAY excited, it has definitely thrown a huge wrench in wedding plans and travel plans. We are now going to do a quick justice of the peace wedding with immediate family only and a nice dinner. The quickness is due to the fact that I have no insurance and we need to get me on his plan ASAP. Also, we have discussed the fact that now we will have a baby to prep for and all that wedding money should go towards saving for our new little one. I am okay with it, but it is just hard to switch gears (especially for the OCD planner that is me).

AND we will now have to cancel our January trip. The soonest we want to swing it is the end of February..our baby will be 2 1/2 months at that point. I heard that taking a baby is easy peasy..so we shall see. I took DD to disneyland when she was a baby and it was a breeze. I hope that this one will be just as easy.

Thanks for letting me ramble! Oh, and you all are the first to know about baby besides Nate and my mom. I just had to tell!

daisy_77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: