Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Countdowns and Live Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #256
ImaDVCwannabe
Mouseketeer
 
ImaDVCwannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 150

So we are thinking about changing our dates from the 7th-15th to the 20th-28th. DH and I were there around the same time back in 2008 for our honeymoon and didn't really notice the difference in the crowd level on the holiday, however we were there just as two adults with no agenda. Are we crazy to attempt these dates with three small kiddos?
__________________
Me Lydia DH Joel DD9 Emma DD5 Jillian DS2 Noah



Disney World Honeymoon Pop Jan 2008
ImaDVCwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #257
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO
 
letthewookiewin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,798

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndercoverMama View Post
Think maybe we will go later in the month. They announced the marathon dates and I don't want to be there then. Ah well, still before ADR time so I am ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaDVCwannabe View Post
So we are thinking about changing our dates from the 7th-15th to the 20th-28th. DH and I were there around the same time back in 2008 for our honeymoon and didn't really notice the difference in the crowd level on the holiday, however we were there just as two adults with no agenda. Are we crazy to attempt these dates with three small kiddos?
Just let me know for sure if y'all more your dates and what they change is. I'll wait until them to move them.

This June trip has me so behind on my January planning. I think a small part of me wants to wait until our June trip to plan ADRs. Just in case we don't like any of the ones we have in June. I know there are several places that I wanted to go in January that we couldn't fit into our June trip, so maybe I'll just start with putting those on a calendar and then filling the rest in after the June trip.
__________________
Me(38)DH(38) DS16 DS15 Bug R.I.P. 8/20/11
'81-OS/w parents; 3/94-OS/w HS band & met future DH; 7/00-OS,5th wedding anny; 3/04-CBR,DS's 1st trip; 10/06-WL,MNSSHP; 6/12-PC; 9/13-Swan/AKL SV; 5/14 DL; 12/14 SoG, Suz & I & MVMCP


"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #258
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!
 
Marshay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 13,322

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaDVCwannabe View Post
So we are thinking about changing our dates from the 7th-15th to the 20th-28th. DH and I were there around the same time back in 2008 for our honeymoon and didn't really notice the difference in the crowd level on the holiday, however we were there just as two adults with no agenda. Are we crazy to attempt these dates with three small kiddos?
My Dis friend went over the holiday weekend of January this past year and they encountered a LOT more crowds than we did by going a week later. Her pictures are much more crowded than mine. We were able to go on rides multiple times w/o getting off.

They encountered BTG and we did not (however, other people that went the same week as we did also reported lots of BTG when we barely saw 1 a day, if that.

They also had cold weather and we were in shorts the whole time. But as we know ANYTHING can happen weather-wise in January.

I just checked touring plans and for the dates you picked, if you go the earlier time they are currently predicting 3's and 4's; if you pick the later time, they are currently predicting 5's and 6's.

So overall not a drastic impact.

I'd choose the dates that work best for you.

This year we are also going over MLK weekend, just b/c that's what works for us. At least it won't be summer-level crowds but I do expect those 5s and 6's to increase between now and the trip, esp as free dining or other discounts are announced and no one is able to book rooms right now anyway.

Good luck in your choice!
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #259
ImaDVCwannabe
Mouseketeer
 
ImaDVCwannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
My Dis friend went over the holiday weekend of January this past year and they encountered a LOT more crowds than we did by going a week later. Her pictures are much more crowded than mine. We were able to go on rides multiple times w/o getting off.

They encountered BTG and we did not (however, other people that went the same week as we did also reported lots of BTG when we barely saw 1 a day, if that.

They also had cold weather and we were in shorts the whole time. But as we know ANYTHING can happen weather-wise in January.

I just checked touring plans and for the dates you picked, if you go the earlier time they are currently predicting 3's and 4's; if you pick the later time, they are currently predicting 5's and 6's.

So overall not a drastic impact.

I'd choose the dates that work best for you.

This year we are also going over MLK weekend, just b/c that's what works for us. At least it won't be summer-level crowds but I do expect those 5s and 6's to increase between now and the trip, esp as free dining or other discounts are announced and no one is able to book rooms right now anyway.

Good luck in your choice!
Thanks!!!
__________________
Me Lydia DH Joel DD9 Emma DD5 Jillian DS2 Noah



Disney World Honeymoon Pop Jan 2008
ImaDVCwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #260
mya174
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14

We are booked! Going January 20th-26th. Yay!! Did I mention this is our first family Disney Trip. My husbands first trip to Disney ever! So exciting!! We are staying at Pop. Everything is overwhelming but I am figuring it out as I go along. At least I think I am
mya174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #261
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO
 
letthewookiewin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,798

Quote:
Originally Posted by mya174 View Post
We are booked! Going January 20th-26th. Yay!! Did I mention this is our first family Disney Trip. My husbands first trip to Disney ever! So exciting!! We are staying at Pop. Everything is overwhelming but I am figuring it out as I go along. At least I think I am
WOO HOO!! Now your out of the naughty corner....I mean the undecided list.

How exciting that it's your DH's first trip!! I hope he gets infected with the Disney bug!!!
__________________
Me(38)DH(38) DS16 DS15 Bug R.I.P. 8/20/11
'81-OS/w parents; 3/94-OS/w HS band & met future DH; 7/00-OS,5th wedding anny; 3/04-CBR,DS's 1st trip; 10/06-WL,MNSSHP; 6/12-PC; 9/13-Swan/AKL SV; 5/14 DL; 12/14 SoG, Suz & I & MVMCP


"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #262
jannel80
Mouseketeer
 
jannel80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 229

Hello all! I am in the process of deciding dates to go in January 2013. I am having a baby in August so will have a 6 month old along with a 5 and 6 yr. old. I am thinking the end of January/ beginning of Feb. My son's b-day is Jan. 30th so would love to be there to celebrate his b-day. I have been to DW in Sept. and Dec., but never Jan. When we went in Dec. it was FREEZING! How is the weather the end of Jan? We always stay at Pop but my MIL will most likely be joining us so have to see what is the best deal for 5people and an infant. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it! As soon as I have dates confirmed, I will re-post. January can't get here soon enough!
__________________


Me Jannel DH Dave DS Caden DS Colton DD Reise
Many Trips to DW as a child
Dec. 2004 Carribean Beach Resort with DH
Dec. 2010 Pop (1st trip with kids)
Sept. 2011 Pop
Feb. 2013 AoA Cars Suite
Nov. 2014 CSR
jannel80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #263
readytogotodisney
DIS Veteran
 
readytogotodisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannel80 View Post
Hello all! I am in the process of deciding dates to go in January 2013. I am having a baby in August so will have a 6 month old along with a 5 and 6 yr. old. I am thinking the end of January/ beginning of Feb. My son's b-day is Jan. 30th so would love to be there to celebrate his b-day. I have been to DW in Sept. and Dec., but never Jan. When we went in Dec. it was FREEZING! How is the weather the end of Jan? We always stay at Pop but my MIL will most likely be joining us so have to see what is the best deal for 5people and an infant. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it! As soon as I have dates confirmed, I will re-post. January can't get here soon enough!
January can be all over the place weather wise, but honestly you're probably going to be seeing highs in the high 60's/mid 70's. The morning you'll need a sweatshirt bc it takes a little while for it to warm up, but by 10am you'll be shedding the sweatshirt. But keep it close bc you'll need it again once the sun goes down.
We love January at Disney, bc the crowds are really low, and no matter how cold it is in Orlando, it's at least 40 degrees warmer then it is back at home!

As for somewhere to stay, it depends on your budget.

For a value I would look at a family suite, or two standard rooms.
For a moderate, how about POR? Since your youngest will only be 6 months old you'll be able to get a room with a trundle and it sleeps 5 plus an infant.
Or maybe a villa? So many great locations to pick from, but OKW will get you the most room for your $$.
__________________
Me 33 , DH 33 , and DS 4 and baby girl Natalie My Photobucket with Disney Name Fills
Trips: DW '82,'86,'87,'89 Off site, '91 CR, '92 WL, '94-'99 OKW, '02 OKW, '05 off site '06 BWI, '07 OKW, '09 BWV, '11 BLT,'12 BCV '13BLT/BWV
'13AKL/POFQ GFV '14 AoA/WLV '14
DL - 10/12 DCL - 4/13 ~ Dream 11/14 ~Dream
readytogotodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #264
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO
 
letthewookiewin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,798

I posted this in the June thread, but I wanted to see what people on this thread thought as well.
My mil and I were talking about our June trip as I drove her to West Texas this weekend. She thinks it would be a good idea, since we are driving, to have AAA. According to Google maps, the round trip is 2,586 miles. Plus I'm sure there will be a few more with driving around and such. Has anyone ever had AAA before and do you think it's a good thing to have on such a long road trip?
__________________
Me(38)DH(38) DS16 DS15 Bug R.I.P. 8/20/11
'81-OS/w parents; 3/94-OS/w HS band & met future DH; 7/00-OS,5th wedding anny; 3/04-CBR,DS's 1st trip; 10/06-WL,MNSSHP; 6/12-PC; 9/13-Swan/AKL SV; 5/14 DL; 12/14 SoG, Suz & I & MVMCP


"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #265
UndercoverMama
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 363

I have roadside assistance with my car insurance, or else we would definitely get it for our ride down. Worth the peace of mind
__________________
UndercoverMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #266
ButterflyJen
Mouseketeer
 
ButterflyJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 331

Haven't posted in here in forever!! I like the FB page, I'm always on FB. We still haven't decided on dates...I need to glue my hubby's butt to the couch, grab a calendar, and figure it out, LOL!!
__________________
Me DH DD9 DD6

Disneyland Day Trip 1981*Disneyland Day Trip 2000*DL/DCA Day Trip May 2007*Our First WDW Trip Jan 2013...for DD's 6th Birthday!
ButterflyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #267
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO
 
letthewookiewin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,798

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndercoverMama View Post
I have roadside assistance with my car insurance, or else we would definitely get it for our ride down. Worth the peace of mind
I didn't think of checking my car insurance, but it does have road side on it. Plus I think our extended warranty has it as well. This will be the first time I have gone on a road trip, since I married my DH, that we have driven this far without my fil, a mechanic. The DH and I did drive to San Antonio once when the 14 yr old was like 6 mos, but that was the furthest we have driven on our own. I may be 36, but it's kind of intimidating being the responsible adult on this long of a road trip.
__________________
Me(38)DH(38) DS16 DS15 Bug R.I.P. 8/20/11
'81-OS/w parents; 3/94-OS/w HS band & met future DH; 7/00-OS,5th wedding anny; 3/04-CBR,DS's 1st trip; 10/06-WL,MNSSHP; 6/12-PC; 9/13-Swan/AKL SV; 5/14 DL; 12/14 SoG, Suz & I & MVMCP


"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #268
hsmamainva
DIS Veteran
 
hsmamainva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,413

Just decided on the dates for our girls only trip!

January 4th through 11th

Planning on staying at the POR.

Will know more once the packages & pricing comes out this summer.

__________________
Kelly - Mom of 4 (2 in college & 2 still at home)

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

February 2011 (OL) - March 2012 (WH) - May 2013 (WH) - May 2014 (AOA) - August 2014 (AOA)

hsmamainva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #269
dmoore718
If you think being a firefighter is tough, try being a firefighter's wife
 
dmoore718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 724

I'm loving the FB group too but I'm also always on the DIS!! We have changed our dates to Jan. 6-13 and are likely staying at POR, since we are a family of 5 and AOA has been excluded from discounts and free dining. Someone posted, can't remember which thread, that the packages for 2012 were released in June last year. I hope that's true for this year since my 180 day mark is July 10. If not, I'll just call and book a room only so I can get my 180 plus 10 to book ADR's.
__________________
Danielle and Tom :: DD (8), DD (7), DD (4) My miracle baby, born at 32 weeks
Give Blood....it saved our baby's life!
dmoore718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #270
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO
 
letthewookiewin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,798

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannel80 View Post
Hello all! I am in the process of deciding dates to go in January 2013. I am having a baby in August so will have a 6 month old along with a 5 and 6 yr. old. I am thinking the end of January/ beginning of Feb. My son's b-day is Jan. 30th so would love to be there to celebrate his b-day. I have been to DW in Sept. and Dec., but never Jan. When we went in Dec. it was FREEZING! How is the weather the end of Jan? We always stay at Pop but my MIL will most likely be joining us so have to see what is the best deal for 5people and an infant. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it! As soon as I have dates confirmed, I will re-post. January can't get here soon enough!
Grats on the new angel!!
& added. I have you in the undecided until you have your dates picked.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyJen View Post
Haven't posted in here in forever!! I like the FB page, I'm always on FB. We still haven't decided on dates...I need to glue my hubby's butt to the couch, grab a calendar, and figure it out, LOL!!
Take the batteries out of the remote we well, so he has to pay attention. I'll come over with some duct tape if you need to make sure he doesn't get up until y'all have picked a date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamainva View Post
Just decided on the dates for our girls only trip!

January 4th through 11th

Planning on staying at the POR.

Will know more once the packages & pricing comes out this summer.

& added A girls only trip sounds like a lot of fun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore718 View Post
I'm loving the FB group too but I'm also always on the DIS!! We have changed our dates to Jan. 6-13 and are likely staying at POR, since we are a family of 5 and AOA has been excluded from discounts and free dining. Someone posted, can't remember which thread, that the packages for 2012 were released in June last year. I hope that's true for this year since my 180 day mark is July 10. If not, I'll just call and book a room only so I can get my 180 plus 10 to book ADR's.
Dates changed. I hope they are released by June. I really need to get to work on my ADR's for the January trip.

I swear our June trip just can't get here quick enough. I knew that two classes at once was going to be a pain, but this is just nuts. My school runs a little strange. The semesters are 16 weeks long and are divided up into two 8 week long sessions. Normally, I just take one class per session, but in order to not have a class while we are at WDW this June I had to take two classes this session in order to qualify for financial aid. Well my fil's recovery from his allergy issue and blood clots is going really slow. Then the week before last, my mil's mom was diagnosed with brain cancer. I drove the mil and fil out to Andrews, TX (West Texas, almost New Mexico) to see her last weekend. According to the sister her mom is living with, the gran-mil is getting bad pretty quick. The mil wants to make another trip out there before her mother doesn't recognize her. Due to both having blood clot issues, neither can drive that far and both have to be able to put their legs up and stop every 1 1/2-2 hours. This means the only car that will work for them to go that far in is my mv, and since the DH has to work, I'll be driving them again. I have so much homework still left to do this week and I have 2 papers due this next week. Right now, my iPhone is my sanity. I keep looking at my countdown app on it. 78 days and we leave for WDW and our first just our family of four vacation since October 2006. We did go last Spring Break to Houston with DH's family, but haven't done anything with just our family since our last WDW trip.

Since, I haven't found a way for my school work to do itself, I better get to it.
__________________
Me(38)DH(38) DS16 DS15 Bug R.I.P. 8/20/11
'81-OS/w parents; 3/94-OS/w HS band & met future DH; 7/00-OS,5th wedding anny; 3/04-CBR,DS's 1st trip; 10/06-WL,MNSSHP; 6/12-PC; 9/13-Swan/AKL SV; 5/14 DL; 12/14 SoG, Suz & I & MVMCP


"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.