Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #1111
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Twoboysnmygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,869

I DID IT!!!!

35:38 for Dallas & I. There are pics on FB if you are friends with me on there. OMG, it was SO cold waiting for the race, but then it was fine! The HILLS nearly killed me and I was worried that I was slowing Dallas down, but he said he was about to puke twice, so I guess I kept up pretty good with the 17 year old!

Felt fantastic, OMG, why didn't you tell me about the rush of sprinting at the end?!?! That ROCKED! So much fun, I looked at Dallas and said "wanna race?!?!?" and we sprinted in. LOVE IT.
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #1112
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Twoboysnmygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,869

WOOT!!! AND...I placed FIRST in my age division!!! Granted, there were only 10 women in my age group 30-39, but STILL! AND I was the oldest!!! Dallas placed first as well, not many teens running today.
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #1113
poppinspal
DIS Veteran
 
poppinspal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: a little north of Boston
Posts: 955

Karen- Congrats on a great run! Finishing first in your age group is awesome! I know you were worried about running and being sick, how'd you feel? Just think in nine days you can head to Disney as the woman who finished her first 5k and was first in her age group.
__________________
Megan Missing the mickey bars and Everest.

My last trip December 2012 for my sister's Disney wedding!
poppinspal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:47 AM   #1114
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Twoboysnmygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,869

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppinspal View Post
Karen- Congrats on a great run! Finishing first in your age group is awesome! I know you were worried about running and being sick, how'd you feel? Just think in nine days you can head to Disney as the woman who finished her first 5k and was first in her age group.
Thanks Megan! I was great during the race (once we got started, it was freezing!) only had a runny nose, but after and since, I have a bit of a cough if I breath in deeply. Other than my feet being a bit sore and my right calf feeling sore (I think from all the hills, just not used to using that muscle), I feel fabulous!

Dallas really liked the race and wants to do more! WOOT! That was really the best part, sharing it with him. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself, I know my feet are easy to flare with the PF, but I REALLY want there to be a Princess in my future! 2014??
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #1115
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
WOOT!!! AND...I placed FIRST in my age division!!! Granted, there were only 10 women in my age group 30-39, but STILL! AND I was the oldest!!! Dallas placed first as well, not many teens running today.
Congrats Karen!!!!
cantwaitvaca09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #1116
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner
 
lisaviolet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
I DID IT!!!!

Why yes you did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic Karen!

I ran over here from facebook. I'm going to go run back now. To comment on the pictures.

Also, not only did you get first in your division - YOU LOOK FANTASTIC as well Karen - double yeah! And you can absolutely see that you have great legs. jealous

But first in your division! The best. So thrilling.

So happy and proud of you and that's lovely that you were able to share that experience with Dallas. And congratulations to him as well.
__________________

Last edited by lisaviolet; 10-28-2012 at 10:50 AM.
lisaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #1117
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner
 
lisaviolet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,378

Will catch up with everyone later.

Kelly - I knew you wouldn't be scared off - I mean dirty dog and mug boy don't even scare you - I was just getting paranoid. Smiling.
__________________
lisaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #1118
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner
 
lisaviolet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,378

Okay,

I still haven't caught up as yet because I found the most amazing TR EVER this weekend.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2855462

I can't even explain to you all how much joy this TR has given to me - what a beautiful distraction.

I was at Mom and Dad's yesterday and actually had some very lovely moments despite the sadness. Are you ready? I got my 76 year old mother into jeans. .

Wait! You have no idea how hysterical that is - it's only her dementia that it happened. My *mom* would never ever wear them. Or even let me bring them near her for that matter.

But as I was putting pants after pants on her in the change room - a feat in itself because her brain doesn't always understand what to tell her limbs - I thought WT H they're stretch and will keep her warm and she's open to it. And the smaller size looked absolutely FABULOUS (better than me - we don't want to go to a legs discussion ) but she wanted more room.

So there is some lovely in dementia.

Will catch up soon.

Love to all.
__________________

Last edited by lisaviolet; 10-28-2012 at 09:43 PM.
lisaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #1119
DisneyGalUK
Rutger Hauer sends shivers down my spine.. and not good ones!
 
DisneyGalUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In a Yellow Submarine
Posts: 1,337

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet
Will catch up with everyone later.

Kelly - I knew you wouldn't be scared off - I mean dirty dog and mug boy don't even scare you - I was just getting paranoid. Smiling.
I laugh in the face of fear!

So goal / gym weight loss - hard to tell so far, as I haven't been weighed! I had the bright idea that I would get weighed when I joined so I had a starting point, then do my workouts as planned and then get weighed after a month - so I'm due to get weighed at the end of next week!

I have noticed a change in body shape / the way my clothes fit so I'm not too worried about the numbers at the minute. I did miss a week at the gym due to a stupid flu bug that turned into a throat infection, which is still lingering. Of course, going to my cousins surprise 21st birthday and rapping along to Jay-Z probably didn't help

WW and E-tools. LOVE the e-tools. Although, and I think I've said this before, the biggest incentive for me with WW was the fact that I actually have to pay actual money to get weighed - if I'm paying to get weighed you had better believe that I'm getting a good result at the end of it!

MEG - I hope your dad is doing ok!

JO - congratulations on the race!

KAREN - Ah Karen, I KNEW you would rock that race! So cool that you and Dallas came first in your groups! Am I right in thinking that you originally started jogging together?

EVERYONE - Hi!

LISA - I can't believe e I nearly forgot this - The Buble is touring here again next year - a 6 night run in London - tickets go on sale on Wednesday and they are tipping a sell-out! Keep everything crossed for me!
__________________
DisneyGalUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #1120
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Twoboysnmygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,869

Thanks Goddesses! You girls are an inspiration and kept me going when I was ready to give up in the last year.

Lisa

Kelly, I started running years ago doing couch 2 5K, but I stopped a couple times for various reasons. Life, no motivation, runner's knee, etc. and started back up about 2 years ago and that is when Dallas decided he wanted to lose weight. He was 15 at the time and really out of shape and unhappy. Once he started, he was a force to be reckoned with! He lost a bunch of weight and has been pretty active, even when I was injured. It was so amazing doing our first race together. I cannot believe it took 2 years to get here though, hopefully we don't have to wait another 2 years for another!
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #1121
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Twoboysnmygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,869

Since you Goddesses are experts on all things WDW and this is my first couples only trip, I need some shoe advice! I think it was Liz that ripped me a new one for noticing that I was wearing flip flops in the parks this past January!

They were Teva Mush! Aren't those supposed to at least be a little better than regular flip flops???

Anyway, I'm running into some issues here with this "romantic F&W trip"! I have 2 dresses (sundresses, basically) that I would like to wear, at least to our early dinner/DTD our first night and maybe the other our last night at F&W. How do you wear good shoes with a pretty dress?!?!? Rey thinks I should just wear my tennis shoes, which I will be wearing during the days at the parks, but seriously, I would look like a total idiot wearing these dresses with tennis shoes. What do you do when you want to dress up a smidge at WDW? Do you just not get to? My PF is a lot better, but I fear after standing all day it will flare, and I don't want to make it worse...but a girl wants to look cute on a romantic trip!
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #1122
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner
 
lisaviolet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,378

Well I just pushed a ton of multi quotes to catch up but I don't have it in me.

So:

Karen - Clark's or Romika - they are expensive as he!! but I have never bought either without a steal so to speak. Also, I have a pair of thicker flip flops (EDIT: I guess that font is not small enough to hide!!!) that actually are fine with one of my dresses - they seem to blend right in and disappear. Really. But since you shouldn't do them - check online for cheap Clark's - also if you run out of time you can get them sent to AKL - I did this once - just put your check-in date/number in the extra info.

Also, the race. That was the best part for me - how the tables turned for you. I LOVE that.

Jo - So how is hubby these days with all of your accomplishments? He better have himself in order.

Megan - I could care less about the gains - meaning saying nada - there is no weight loss journey without them. They're hard when unexpected though - easier when you just know. And I'm down over 13 (11.8 for WW just over a month). It's not just WW I've been walking like a demon. The bus to my parents is usually a streetcar ride to get to the never ending bus up to their town - but lately I've been walking at least one way (to the bus not to them )- sometimes both ways and that's 90 minutes if I do both. WW is a 40 minute walk! That's one reason I joined. If I walked to my own scale.....

SO what are your ideas about this upping your athletics? Also, there is a half in Florida you could plan to run.

Your sister's wedding is coming so quickly.

Nancy - please come on - I want to hear how you're doing with such a huge transition.

Denise - your story was hysterical (for an outsider ). I loved that this child puts you through more than the other two together line. Loved it.

Kelly - that's just it with WW - the BIGGEST surprise - I am finding that money is the biggest motivator for me and it's not something that I thought about at all. Total surprise. But makes sense - here is $58.75 with taxes in for a monthly pass. So I do think about lifetime - A LOT. Oh lifetime - my future free days. Someone came to her goal this week. I don't know her but I made sure to say congratulations. I didn't see any others go up to her at the end. Jealous or shy because otherwise I don't get it. That's a huge moment and deserves such credit. Which is why I push you so much.

Yes I saw Megan's picture. Sighing. Loudly.
__________________
lisaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #1123
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner
 
lisaviolet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,378

Oh and Kelly - your scale decision re: the gym makes total sense - I think it was Jo where I was telling her this story of a woman who quit a trainer and could barely keep her pants up as she was telling him "I'm quitting - I haven't lost any weight". So makes sense. Women are so focused on the numbers. But so are some men. My brother talks about how he is so pleased about his 190/195. So I don't know.
__________________
lisaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #1124
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,854

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
Well I just pushed a ton of multi quotes to catch up but I don't have it in me.

So:

Karen - Clark's or Romika - they are expensive as he!! but I have never bought either without a steal so to speak. Also, I have a pair of thicker flip flops (EDIT: I guess that font is not small enough to hide!!!) that actually are fine with one of my dresses - they seem to blend right in and disappear. Really. But since you shouldn't do them - check online for cheap Clark's - also if you run out of time you can get them sent to AKL - I did this once - just put your check-in date/number in the extra info.

Also, the race. That was the best part for me - how the tables turned for you. I LOVE that.

Jo - So how is hubby these days with all of your accomplishments? He better have himself in order.

Megan - I could care less about the gains - meaning saying nada - there is no weight loss journey without them. They're hard when unexpected though - easier when you just know. And I'm down over 13 (11.8 for WW just over a month). It's not just WW I've been walking like a demon. The bus to my parents is usually a streetcar ride to get to the never ending bus up to their town - but lately I've been walking at least one way (to the bus not to them )- sometimes both ways and that's 90 minutes if I do both. WW is a 40 minute walk! That's one reason I joined. If I walked to my own scale.....

SO what are your ideas about this upping your athletics? Also, there is a half in Florida you could plan to run.

Your sister's wedding is coming so quickly.

Nancy - please come on - I want to hear how you're doing with such a huge transition.

Denise - your story was hysterical (for an outsider ). I loved that this child puts you through more than the other two together line. Loved it.

Kelly - that's just it with WW - the BIGGEST surprise - I am finding that money is the biggest motivator for me and it's not something that I thought about at all. Total surprise. But makes sense - here is $58.75 with taxes in for a monthly pass. So I do think about lifetime - A LOT. Oh lifetime - my future free days. Someone came to her goal this week. I don't know her but I made sure to say congratulations. I didn't see any others go up to her at the end. Jealous or shy because otherwise I don't get it. That's a huge moment and deserves such credit. Which is why I push you so much.

Yes I saw Megan's picture. Sighing. Loudly.
Lisa he is ok, I am better off not looking at him for support
cantwaitvaca09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #1125
AKASnowWhite
I have such wonderful memories of MVMCP with our family
WE LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT! DL is AWESOME!
 
AKASnowWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 6,246

GAH! So much catching up to do! Here goes:


Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
Nancy!

Wow. I KNOW that you must have taken some disrespect there. For awhile. I know. Oh how I know. Love to you. Smart you for not picking status quo all around and simply swallowing and settling. Smart you.
Disrespect. I wouldn't classify it as that really. I had the unfortunate honor of being stuck in the middle of everything. Mother & daughter have very different personalities (mom is no-nonsense, assertive business mind; daughter is truly a "food artist") and frankly their ability to communicate with each other sucks. I heard every single complaint, comment, frustration aggrevation from every one of the 12 employees - mother and daughter included! I don't think that anyone did this to me purposefully - it's just that I was viewed as "safe". I finally shocked myself (and clearly everyone else!!!) and had some rather uncomfortable but honest discussions with the owner about it all - especially the lack of consistancy in any kind of policy/procedures. Initially she seemed open and receptive to what I was saying. We talked several more times (I was staying away from the shop during all of this - her choice because she wanted to implement some changes ) but a week later she came back to me and said "I can't change these things".

That right there bothered me immensly. The reality is she was not WILLING to address these mattters. Spoke volumes in that little sentence. I understand that for her, family must take priority, but without dealing with some of these fundemental business issues they are going to implode.



Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
Canadians do know that your weather idiots often say cold front coming down from Canada - like Canada is this solid straight equal latitude line where everything simply changes. The magic place. Laughing. And like fronts are always north south with no variation.
Um, well, they are -aren't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
FORGOT ME! I'm down 2.8 and once again Nancy I'm too wiped to write what's going on around it. So interesting.
Nice job Lisa! I'm up. I got blindsided by Erin's evil little minion on Thursday. She made me weigh in, measured my body fat and took all my measurements I have got some serious work to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwaitvaca09 View Post
I do think I was the same pace maybe a bit faster at disney when you take out the stops for pictures (I finished disney 2:56) Plus there are some people on this thread that lie for a whole year and make me think I ran disney doing 2/1 but really it was 2:30 run 30 walk.. But I will not state any names...
I'm SHOCKED! Completely shocked that anyone would do that to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1228 View Post
Car is a mess so I decide to grab the coats, sweat shirts and crap from the back seat and what do I discover 2 beer bottles.
I love it. I have a 17 y.o. DD too. And boys that are 19 &21. I so feel your pain!


Quote:
Originally Posted by poppinspal View Post
I'm also going to start looking for a 10k or half to do. I love running 5ks but they've stopped feeling like huge accomplishments. Please don't think I mean any disrespect to those who are starting to do these. I was in your shoes once, I totally remember when I started running them and how every step seemed huge. I really mean no disrespect. Just the last times I've had that high of running and feeling like I conquered something was Tough Mudder or my last half. I think training for something big again might make me step up my exercising.
So. Is this a good time to tell you that I was thinking about you when the Ironman was on this weekend? Seriously - you should consider a triathlon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by poppinspal View Post
Karen- Before I tell you about running sick I should warn you that I have some screws loose in my head I think. I find that when I'm sick and I get to the point where I'm coughing I love to run.
me too. It'll either cure me or kill me. That's my philosophy!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
WOOT!!! AND...I placed FIRST in my age division!!! Granted, there were only 10 women in my age group 30-39, but STILL! AND I was the oldest!!! Dallas placed first as well, not many teens running today.
YAY KAREN! And a Disney trip in just a few days! Life is good indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
So there is some lovely in dementia


Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
Since you Goddesses are experts on all things WDW and this is my first couples only trip, I need some shoe advice!
Footwear. 2 facts. I hate shoes, and I need good shoes. I really like naturalizers & Lisa's beloved Clarks. Neither one is cheap, but for me good shoes are essential. Try Zappos. Free shipping.
__________________
AKASnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.