Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #316
Therinian
My pants are too dangerous!

Another newbie here. I am looking for lots of moral support; by the looks of things, I think I've come to the right place!

Name: Therinian - aka Gina
Height: 5'4'
Weight: 195

Personal Stats:
I live on the east coast of the USA, have been with my husband for 14 years (married 11), am mom to three boys (ages 7, 10, and 18), a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, and a gray/white, long-haired, mix-breed feline. I may be American, but I am Brit at heart, and a love for Walt Disney World flows through my veins.

Favorite Park:
Epcot. I can travel through 10 other countries without a passport, and try AMAZING foods!

But I Love:
Animal Kingdom. I love the lush greenery and the wonderful walking trails past beautiful animals.

Passions:
Travelling, cooking/eating, photography, reading, surfing the internet, Pinterest, planning fun trips for the family.

Important to know:
My computer is ooooold--like over 10 years old. It's an eMac, too, and prone to acting up--blank screen, not turning on, so sometimes I can't be on the internet as I'd like... *sigh* ... I really need a new computer. I'm a SAHM and find myself constantly overeating. I don't have a female support system for weight loss, but own a treadmill. I often speak first, think later. I see Hidden Mickey's EVERYWHERE, and have an eye for spotting loose change on the ground (a talent my middle son has now picked up, lol). I go to the local bookstore and spend time looking at travel guides--and I never say no to chocolate.

Weight loss plan and goals:
I've been looking around W.I.S.H. to get ideas for weight loss, and have started participating in Couch to 5K, the February Challenge (my goal is 600 minutes in 29 days), and the Walk to Disney challenge (1,017 miles). I'd like to get down to 170 lbs. What I'd really like to do is participate in the a local Susan G. Komen Cancer Walk and, ultimately, a Disney 1/2 Marathon.

I'd also like to stop overeating...
Therinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #317
PrincessRhi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therinian View Post
Important to know:
My computer is ooooold--like over 10 years old. It's an eMac, too, and prone to acting up--blank screen, not turning on, so sometimes I can't be on the internet as I'd like... *sigh* ... I really need a new computer.
I laughed hysterically at this because I'm in the same boat. I'm the proud mom to a PowerBook from 2004 and a MacBook from 2006-- neither of which can really do anything other than check email (slowly), let me write papers for school, edit photos, and provide the occasional internet smiles if the pages load. I have the software to update to a newer OS, but the PowerBook doesn't have an Intel processor, and the MacBook doesn't have the RAM spaces available. Since both were free (thanks, work!) and are relatively functional, I won't buy a new one.

I've found it to be really supportive here. And there are ADORABLE t-shirts
PrincessRhi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #318
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran

Welcome Gina!!

I'm a total computer geek and pretty much wind up with latest and greatest - both my work and personal laptops are less than 6 months old.

Man, am I with you on the overeating!

A good portion of us here have done the Princess 1/2 marathon together, and are planning on a repeat (and three-peat in some cases) this year. Lots of running and run/walking advice around here, too.

I am a Galloway follower, belong to a local Galloway training group, and do a run/walk plan, although right now it's mostly walk due to some nagging injuries.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #319
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Hi Gina!

I just found these awesome ladies myself this week and have spent the past few afternoons reading every single post so I can try and familiarize myself with everyone. One thing is for sure - everyone is fun, funNY, and take supportive to a whole new level! You have come to the right place girlfriend!

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #320
Therinian

Thanks for the warm welcome! I will be on here as often as possible, or as often as my dinoMac will allow, so I hope to make some good friends.

PlutoBaby, I think I will be doing the same as you--going back to read older posts. Awesome idea!

HockeyKat: I'd love to join you all someday for a marathon! Looking forward to getting to know everyone before then.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #321
AKASnowWhite
I have such wonderful memories of MVMCP with our family
WE LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT! DL is AWESOME!

Hi Gina

So, I think I might have made mention of some compression shorts that I ordered. I'm hoping that the extra support will be what I need to keep my hip flexor/IT band pain to a minimum while running.

Today, the first 2 pairs arrived. Same shorts, different sizes because according to the sizing chart I fell right between two sizes. I pulled them out of the package and they were TINY. They do stretch right?

The other pair that I ordered apparently haven't even shipped yet. bah. I was hoping to try the two different styles before I committed and actually wore one for a run!
Old 02-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #322
SeptemberGirl
There should be a quiz at the door
Feel free to point out I'm on the Crazy Train

Good evening!

Yesterday a staff member at the Y recognized me "Going to walk the track?" she asked. Um, yeah. Who knew I was known?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
And you're younger. I know it's only 7??? years. But it makes a difference for HR. I'm 45 this year - you're 38? Anyway it gives you much more HR room. To go harder. And higher HR.

Okay, missy. I'm only 37! I have months to 38!

No, I get it . Kind of. I think I might revisit this with you once I get past Princess training, or as i like to call it, The Most Wonderful Time of the Year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessRhi View Post
OK guys, I did it. I threw it away. And to make sure I never never ever dig it out of the garbage, one of the pups had an accident on the floor and the wet paper towels went right on top of it. HOORAY. Why on earth they bought such a big cake is beyond me. I think maybe my grandmother figured we'd freeze it like a wedding cake or something. Surprisingly I didn't feel bad throwing it out-- usually I despise throwing things away unless it has mold on it. I don't know where I picked that one up.
YAY!!! You will feel better that you threw it out! And good on you for having a realistic weight goal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASnowWhite View Post
yes. I came back to this again I was looking at getting some new shorts for my upcoming trips. The first word they use to describe them is "sporty"

So. sporty. I mean, Nancy, LOOK at you. SPORTY.

I can't find shorts but that's another tale of woe for another time!

Quote:
Another newbie here. I am looking for lots of moral support; by the looks of things, I think I've come to the right place!

Important to know:
My computer is ooooold--like over 10 years old. It's an eMac, too, and prone to acting up--blank screen, not turning on, so sometimes I can't be on the internet as I'd like... *sigh* ... I really need a new computer. I'm a SAHM and find myself constantly overeating. I don't have a female support system for weight loss, but own a treadmill. I often speak first, think later. I see Hidden Mickey's EVERYWHERE, and have an eye for spotting loose change on the ground (a talent my middle son has now picked up, lol). I go to the local bookstore and spend time looking at travel guides--and I never say no to chocolate.

Weight loss plan and goals:
I've been looking around W.I.S.H. to get ideas for weight loss, and have started participating in Couch to 5K, the February Challenge (my goal is 600 minutes in 29 days), and the Walk to Disney challenge (1,017 miles). I'd like to get down to 170 lbs. What I'd really like to do is participate in the a local Susan G. Komen Cancer Walk and, ultimately, a Disney 1/2 Marathon.

I'd also like to stop overeating...
Hi Gina!!! Welcome!!! I'd do one of those signs but I'm lazy about that. But you get it.

Great goals. Let's talk Komen another time, okay? But 5K yes. You should do the Dogfish Head one! That's supposed to be a GREAT race and it's in DE!

Quote:
I've found it to be really supportive here. And there are ADORABLE t-shirts

Aww, you had me at tshirt! Well, Mac, too but tshirt mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
Hi Gina!

I just found these awesome ladies myself this week and have spent the past few afternoons reading every single post so I can try and familiarize myself with everyone. One thing is for sure - everyone is fun, funNY, and take supportive to a whole new level! You have come to the right place girlfriend!
WOW Kimberly! You get a gold star! Want extra credit? I can time travel you to our younger, more chatty selves in volumes 1-10. No, no, I like you. I wouldn't do that I promise!

This week has been challenging with eating but I have been tracking. And I dragged my sorry self to the gym even when I didn't want to go! On other news, I am feeling like I need to be home more (gym guilt) and I am in the midst of re-imagining the 3 Day walk I talked about doing. In short, I cannot fund raise that much for Komen after I learned how little goes to research.

* Kimberly, Rhi, Gina - my mom was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1996, occurrence in 2001, metastatic in 2004. Metastatic is Stage 4, and 155,000 people in the US live with it - on constant treatments (chemo) and they live from 1-20 years or more. Sadly, early detection has nothing to do with whether you will ever be diagnosed with BCmets/Stage 4.

My mom feels she'd rather not have $2300 go to Komen (which is the minimum for doing the 3 Day walk). She feels (and I agree) that they spend too much on publicity (75%) not enough on research grants, far too much on the safe, easy and comforting "facts" (like diet and exercise, which really don't lower your chances) and no time on the reality of Stage 4. So that debate and resolution has been occupying me for days. I'm not sure what I will end up doing, how far I will take things, what kind of challenge for walking and fundraising I will take up or how I will distribute the money.

Being a cog in the giant wheel isn't an option anymore - it's whether I create a huge new wheel or a tiny one. I will walk and I will fund raise, and I will be a voice. That's all I got now.

BTW, the Komen debate rages on in FB and other places - after the funding with PP was changed. I'm not touching that right now, since our issues with Komen go far beyond that and have been there longer. Still, it's a touchstone for many people tonight.

My drinking club has a running problem...bring on the bling!

Last edited by SeptemberGirl; 02-02-2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Volume 11?!?! WOW.
SeptemberGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #323
SeptemberGirl

Good morning Goddesses! I hope you all have a wonderful day!!!

Old 02-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #324
PrincessRhi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptemberGirl View Post
This week has been challenging with eating but I have been tracking. And I dragged my sorry self to the gym even when I didn't want to go! On other news, I am feeling like I need to be home more (gym guilt) and I am in the midst of re-imagining the 3 Day walk I talked about doing. In short, I cannot fund raise that much for Komen after I learned how little goes to research.

* Kimberly, Rhi, Gina - my mom was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1996, occurrence in 2001, metastatic in 2004. Metastatic is Stage 4, and 155,000 people in the US live with it - on constant treatments (chemo) and they live from 1-20 years or more. Sadly, early detection has nothing to do with whether you will ever be diagnosed with BCmets/Stage 4.

My mom feels she'd rather not have $2300 go to Komen (which is the minimum for doing the 3 Day walk). She feels (and I agree) that they spend too much on publicity (75%) not enough on research grants, far too much on the safe, easy and comforting "facts" (like diet and exercise, which really don't lower your chances) and no time on the reality of Stage 4. So that debate and resolution has been occupying me for days. I'm not sure what I will end up doing, how far I will take things, what kind of challenge for walking and fundraising I will take up or how I will distribute the money.

Being a cog in the giant wheel isn't an option anymore - it's whether I create a huge new wheel or a tiny one. I will walk and I will fund raise, and I will be a voice. That's all I got now.

BTW, the Komen debate rages on in FB and other places - after the funding with PP was changed. I'm not touching that right now, since our issues with Komen go far beyond that and have been there longer. Still, it's a touchstone for many people tonight.
Sorry about the rant that will follow...

I have never been a supporter of SGK for the same reason.

My first few years as a scientist were in cancer research in what we lovingly called the T&A group (but on paper we were the colorectal and breast cancer research in the lab). SGK brands itself as giving money to research, but the grants were laughable. Don't get me wrong, any drop in the bucket helps to the common goal, but if you're going to raise money to research-- give money to research. Don't half-*** it. In FY 2010, SGK brought in $311 MILLION dollars. If even half of that went towards research, I'd have a different stance on them (well, maybe not now that the whole PP thing is going on), but only $62 million of that is what went to research. I look at that as lives wasted. What did the other $248 million go to? Salaries? Lawsuits? Fundraising? It will cost a research group around $850 million (on the low end) over the course of around 10 years to bring one drug through pre-clinical research to FDA approval and the market. The "up to $7.5 million" grants offered by SGK seem like a lot on paper and do provide some opportunity to research things, but barely cover five years of pre-clinical research. I won't even touch on the $30k grants.

That being said, I have always supported friends who do the 3-day because it's a journey for the woman. Yes, I hate that my money goes towards an organization I don't agree with, but at the end of the day I'm chalking it up as supporting someone who means something to me. One friend's mom loves meeting up with a group of women who are all survivors she met doing the 3-day. It's powerful, and exactly what she needs as motivation to keep going.

It's not an easy decision. Are there any local groups that you can raise the money for instead?
PrincessRhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #325
SeptemberGirl

Quote:
Sorry about the rant that will follow...

I have never been a supporter of SGK for the same reason.

My first few years as a scientist were in cancer research in what we lovingly called the T&A group (but on paper we were the colorectal and breast cancer research in the lab). SGK brands itself as giving money to research, but the grants were laughable. Don't get me wrong, any drop in the bucket helps to the common goal, but if you're going to raise money to research-- give money to research. Don't half-*** it. In FY 2010, SGK brought in $311 MILLION dollars. If even half of that went towards research, I'd have a different stance on them (well, maybe not now that the whole PP thing is going on), but only $62 million of that is what went to research. I look at that as lives wasted. What did the other $248 million go to? Salaries? Lawsuits? Fundraising? It will cost a research group around $850 million (on the low end) over the course of around 10 years to bring one drug through pre-clinical research to FDA approval and the market. The "up to $7.5 million" grants offered by SGK seem like a lot on paper and do provide some opportunity to research things, but barely cover five years of pre-clinical research. I won't even touch on the $30k grants.

That being said, I have always supported friends who do the 3-day because it's a journey for the woman. Yes, I hate that my money goes towards an organization I don't agree with, but at the end of the day I'm chalking it up as supporting someone who means something to me. One friend's mom loves meeting up with a group of women who are all survivors she met doing the 3-day. It's powerful, and exactly what she needs as motivation to keep going.

It's not an easy decision. Are there any local groups that you can raise the money for instead?
Bring on the rants! Bring on the rants!

Thanks for getting it and adding your voice, too. Komen is a sacred cow among women - it's scary to go up against them.

I am considering the Avon 2 day - they lay out exactly where all the money in 2011 went. I am also considering doing my own walk - just me and whoever will join me - fundraising for that, and donating it directly to stage 4 research. While wearing blue, to make a point.

I have to think it out. Today I am talking to my school mom friend who first asked me to do the 3 day, laying it out for her, seeing where she is. If I have to do it alone, I will. I will not support them ever again, though.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #326
Therinian

Oh, dear. I didn't know about SGK's problems with PP; I most certainly not be participating in any of SGK activities, now that I know what's going on. I had just thrown a name out there, because it was the only one I could think of (probably due to all the advertising) as far as non-Disney marathons go. I still would like to try a smaller marathon before next year's 1/2 marathon at Disney; if I rubbed anyone wrong, I apologize.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #327
DisneyGalUK
Rutger Hauer sends shivers down my spine.. and not good ones!

Hi All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
Kelly - yes I'm always on the look out for you. You're much too young to have chronic pain. Research those tables - good and bad and warnings but some have stated their sciatica has just lessened greatly. And And the one I linked - he said there's been no one injuring themselves/falling out as in others. And I did think of you. Also, he said to never ever start at full inversion.

As for the chiropractor I agree with Nancy. My mom LOVED it but there has been great controversy with neck manipulations here in the last couple of years.
Yeah - the falling off things are a problem

Im going to ask around, see if friends / family have a chiropractor they can recommend - I figure, it can't hurt to go and see what they say

Quote:
OK guys, I did it. I threw it away.
Awesome

Quote:

Name: Therinian - aka Gina

Hi Gina

I may be American, but I am Brit at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptemberGirl View Post
Quote:
In FY 2010, SGK brought in $311 MILLION dollars. If even half of that went towards research, I'd have a different stance on them (well, maybe not now that the whole PP thing is going on), but only $62 million of that is what went to research. I look at that as lives wasted. What did the other $248 million go to? Salaries? Lawsuits? Fundraising? It will cost a research group around $850 million (on the low end) over the course of around 10 years to bring one drug through pre-clinical research to FDA approval and the market. The "up to $7.5 million" grants offered by SGK seem like a lot on paper and do provide some opportunity to research things, but barely cover five years of pre-clinical research. I won't even touch on the $30k grants.
Wow. The numbers are really quite staggering.

When I was deciding which 5K to do I did some reading up on the companies - some of the larger 'well-known' companies put very little towards research, but were very vague about what the rest of the money went to.

In the end I did the Race For Life through Cancer Research UK. The entry fee (£15.00) goes towards the organising of the day. 80% of sponsorship raised goes directly towards research. A couple of weeks after the race I got an email detailing how much money had been raised overall with a breakdown of what the money was put towards. It also had a list of 'what your money can do' - eg £10 buys 300 microscope slides, £30 buys 250 petri dishes, £94 covers the cost of one woman entering a clinical trial etc. It was pretty cool to see what the money went towards.

Karen - So glad you're having a good time

Ronda - How is Sues mum?

E, EE, Paula, Kat, Rhi, Kimberley, Jo, Meg, EVERYONE - Hi

I am so glad its nearly the weekend

Hope everyone is having a great day
Old 02-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #328
SeptemberGirl

Quote:
Oh, dear. I didn't know about SGK's problems with PP; I most certainly not be participating in any of SGK activities, now that I know what's going on. I had just thrown a name out there, because it was the only one I could think of (probably due to all the advertising) as far as non-Disney marathons go. I still would like to try a smaller marathon before next year's 1/2 marathon at Disney; if I rubbed anyone wrong, I apologize.
No need to apologize. Even if you were a dedicated Komen fundraiser that would be okay! I think a 5k is a great idea - DE has a lot of good ones like the brewery one I mentioned. There should be a ton for you to find - and if you want to stick with your local Komen that is fine, too. Your decisions don't have to be my decisions for us to get along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGalUK View Post
Hi All!
When I was deciding which 5K to do I did some reading up on the companies - some of the larger 'well-known' companies put very little towards research, but were very vague about what the rest of the money went to.

In the end I did the Race For Life through Cancer Research UK. The entry fee (£15.00) goes towards the organising of the day. 80% of sponsorship raised goes directly towards research. A couple of weeks after the race I got an email detailing how much money had been raised overall with a breakdown of what the money was put towards. It also had a list of 'what your money can do' - eg £10 buys 300 microscope slides, £30 buys 250 petri dishes, £94 covers the cost of one woman entering a clinical trial etc. It was pretty cool to see what the money went towards.
Hi Kelly! I am so impressed that you did your homework - I never once did that! My first 5k, my second, etc etc never once looked at causes, just ran what was convenient. I think most people do. Good on you for going the extra mile! Punny!!!!

Old 02-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #329
Ronda93
DIS Veteran

SGK became a brand long ago. Their tendency to sue everyone with a ribbon turns me off. Don't we all want the same result?

Hi Gina! Hi Kimberly! Welcome.

The visit to StL last weekend was tough. Sue's mom was so disoriented and weak. Much more so than two weeks ago. One of the treatment goals is for her to be able to stand for five minutes. They believe she can, but after a couple of minutes wonders why she's standing and chooses to sit down.

I've been getting to run outside this week. It's been great. Hoping to do it again tomorrow.

We're going to have a good healthy dinner dammit! Going out of town has us eating out WAY more than we're used to. It starts to seem normal, and that's not good (quoting Bill Nye here). So it's a little salmom, a little rice and roasted green beans and onions. Yum.

Hope everyone's getting ready for a wonderful weekend.

Ronda
Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #330
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Hi Ladies!

I got so mad when I read about this nonsense with SGK that I went and wrote a scathing email to them, for all the good it will do. Made me feel better though .

I belong to an online research group started by Dr. Susan Love called Army of Women. Look it up! They seem to have their open-minded, non-politically influenced heads on straight.

Sorry..rant alert...rant alert...

While we're on the subject of non-profits, look up mine (well, sort of mine). I do the public relations stuff for them: www.americasmomsforsoldiers.com. We send care packages to soldiers in Afghanistan who don't get mail from home. We've been around since 2009 and send between 900-1200 packages every month. I know, I know, shameless plug...

Tomorrow's Friday...weigh in day. Wish me luck!

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: