Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #16
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it
 
afwdwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,642

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpixiebabe101 View Post
I'm glad y'all don't think I'm out of place. Maybe not out of place, but maybe like 5th wheelish? Since I don't have all the experiences that come as someone goes through life. Yeah I'm a mom and I've been working since I was 12 years old, but I don't have the older kid experience yet (well besides from my own which weren't a very long time ago lol) or the school drama with kids, etc. Maybe that's what I was trying to convey? But yes... I fit right along with y'all in the obsessing about our happy place!
You want to talk about feeling out of place? Try being a Dad following some of these trip reports.

Honestly though, I think the point has already been made pretty clear. Everybody here is here because they love Disney. It's always great to read TR's to see it from someone else's perspective. It seems like every one I read opens my eyes to something I've always just walked past or never thought about before. TR's have also been a great tool to get tips and ideas for traveling with a toddler. Talk about a life changing experience... no matter how old you are.
afwdwfan is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #17
lilpixiebabe101
DIS Veteran
 
lilpixiebabe101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lousiana- 14 hours away from my happiest place on earth!!!
Posts: 1,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monknmom View Post
It's seems to take longer to get him on the bus when I want to come back and read- like today the bus never came so I had to drive him in!
From what I see the ROTC is really good for the men/boys that I have met from there or heard from their parents! It also brings them a lot of opportunities! I would have loved to be part of something like that-- but then again I may have not been able to meet K and have a monkey if I did!
In K's culture there is this thing about taking pictures and how it ages you.. if your mom doesn't like them and looks young maybe that holds some truth! Just kidding!
I'm waiting for my PP CD too since those will be most of the only pictures that I am going to have! I'll never repeat this to Kaung, but I should have listened to him
WEll of course. That's how it always works out. Just like when there's stuff I absolutely have to get up early to do, either the power blips and my alarm doesnt go off. Or Alexa is up half the night so I sleep through the alarm!

I went to a private school, so we didn't have ROTC either. Joseph left after the school district incorporated my Junior year. DF always says how much he hated the 4 years he spent at our school, ( I had 14 years there) but I remind him that if he hadn't gone there then there's probably no way he and I ever would have met!

Might be true!

We'll here's the deal with our Photopass... My mom videod on her phone or on the camera while the photopass ppl took all the pictures. So we don't have still shots unless there just wasn't a photopass person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swwake View Post
I'm here, but getting up early to head to Breckenridge tomorrow morning, so I'll have to catch up later! Can't wait to hear the stories.
Safe travels!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Joining in from Louisiana - Hi "neighbor"!

Can't wait to hear about all the fun y'all had!

ETA: I just hopped over to your PTR & saw where you said your brother goes to Central High. My family & I used to live very close to Central.....we were in the Watson area. We just moved away from Watson to Lafayette this past June. I have an aunt & uncle who have lived in Central for as long as I can remember.
Hi neighbor! and If you ever go to the Mall of La, you've probably seen me and never realized it! lol

My grandparents live in the Watson area in Easterly Lakes! Which area of Central do your aunt and uncle live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
You want to talk about feeling out of place? Try being a Dad following some of these trip reports.

Honestly though, I think the point has already been made pretty clear. Everybody here is here because they love Disney. It's always great to read TR's to see it from someone else's perspective. It seems like every one I read opens my eyes to something I've always just walked past or never thought about before. TR's have also been a great tool to get tips and ideas for traveling with a toddler. Talk about a life changing experience... no matter how old you are.
HAHAHA

I guess maybe I feel a little self conscious about it with planning this ladies trip that I told want y'all to feel like one of your daughters is tagging along or something lol

And yes the toddler on a trip was a real eye opener for us. Keeping up with her wore us out. We only closed the park one night, where we used to close one, and go to another and close it!
lilpixiebabe101 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #18
Monknmom
DIS Veteran
 
Monknmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
You want to talk about feeling out of place? Try being a Dad following some of these trip reports.

Honestly though, I think the point has already been made pretty clear. Everybody here is here because they love Disney. It's always great to read TR's to see it from someone else's perspective. It seems like every one I read opens my eyes to something I've always just walked past or never thought about before. TR's have also been a great tool to get tips and ideas for traveling with a toddler. Talk about a life changing experience... no matter how old you are.
Plus Ashley I don't see you or hear about you acting like some of the people we went to school with--- I had a high school friend write on her facebook last night that she was upset about how someone IMPLIED she should be home with her sick twins instead of watching the rangers game in the bar down the road with friends! I mean I feel more at ease and comfortable with older parents because they act and dress more like I do! And who cares about having the older kid experiences... that just means that they can help prep us to what will happen!
__________________
Monknmom is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #19
amandaw
DIS Veteran
 
amandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpixiebabe101 View Post
Hi neighbor! and If you ever go to the Mall of La, you've probably seen me and never realized it! lol

My grandparents live in the Watson area in Easterly Lakes! Which area of Central do your aunt and uncle live?
I know exactly where you work in the Mall of La! I'd be willing to bet you I've seen you but didn't know it was you.

We lived off of Cane Market Rd, when we were in Watson. I'm terrible with names of roads, etc. in Central. My aunt & uncle live in an older neighborhood, but I don't the name of it. It's off of Hooper Rd.
amandaw is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #20
lilpixiebabe101
DIS Veteran
 
lilpixiebabe101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lousiana- 14 hours away from my happiest place on earth!!!
Posts: 1,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I know exactly where you work in the Mall of La! I'd be willing to bet you I've seen you but didn't know it was you.

We lived off of Cane Market Rd, when we were in Watson. I'm terrible with names of roads, etc. in Central. My aunt & uncle live in an older neighborhood, but I don't the name of it. It's off of Hooper Rd.
Haha! Knowing I'm a Massage Therapist there's only one place I could work in the mall!

It's probably either Broadmoor, Carmel Acres, or Briddlewood if I had to guess lol!
lilpixiebabe101 is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #21
lilpixiebabe101
DIS Veteran
 
lilpixiebabe101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lousiana- 14 hours away from my happiest place on earth!!!
Posts: 1,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monknmom View Post
Plus Ashley I don't see you or hear about you acting like some of the people we went to school with--- I had a high school friend write on her facebook last night that she was upset about how someone IMPLIED she should be home with her sick twins instead of watching the rangers game in the bar down the road with friends! I mean I feel more at ease and comfortable with older parents because they act and dress more like I do! And who cares about having the older kid experiences... that just means that they can help prep us to what will happen!
Heather you just made me feel infinitely more okay about all that!

And I would have implied the same thing to her! If my child's sick and it's not something I can't get out of the commitment of, then my butt is going to be at home with her watching the game! Now IF the friend was at the bar drinking watching the game with say a REALLY good friend who was going to live over seas or all the way across the country, and your child comes up sick that the last minute.. That's a different story.
lilpixiebabe101 is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #22
Monknmom
DIS Veteran
 
Monknmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpixiebabe101 View Post
Heather you just made me feel infinitely more okay about all that!

And I would have implied the same thing to her! If my child's sick and it's not something I can't get out of the commitment of, then my butt is going to be at home with her watching the game! Now IF the friend was at the bar drinking watching the game with say a REALLY good friend who was going to live over seas or all the way across the country, and your child comes up sick that the last minute.. That's a different story.
No sadly that wasn't her story Ashley it was just some friends that are from high school without kids that she still hangs out with! It's alright though... It makes me feel better about the way that I am living!
And I am glad that you feel better! One thing I have to say I learned from all of the other women that we talk to on here is that the attitude that they are forming now (at least Damien is starting to) never goes away... so I shouldn't feel so bad when he's so blunt to people I guess...
__________________
Monknmom is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #23
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

 
BridgetR3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Too far from home
Posts: 1,630

JOining in from the western most parts of south Louisiana to read your TR. I followed you over from.....ahh.....ummm......somewhere??? Maybe the crazy inlaws TR??

Can't wait to hear more about your trip!
__________________
Me DH DS11 DS7
We are always planning our next trip!!
Ten pairs of Underwear - a November 2013 Trip Report
BridgetR3 is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #24
lilpixiebabe101
DIS Veteran
 
lilpixiebabe101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lousiana- 14 hours away from my happiest place on earth!!!
Posts: 1,336

I do have the update 3/4 of the way finished. It's a lot of background work from the days leading up to the trip since I didn't DIS hardly at all that week. Should be up in the next hour or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monknmom View Post
No sadly that wasn't her story Ashley it was just some friends that are from high school without kids that she still hangs out with! It's alright though... It makes me feel better about the way that I am living!
And I am glad that you feel better! One thing I have to say I learned from all of the other women that we talk to on here is that the attitude that they are forming now (at least Damien is starting to) never goes away... so I shouldn't feel so bad when he's so blunt to people I guess...
Haha.. I only see/hang out with two people from high school/college. One is my best friend who I didn't even graduate with because she left our Junior year. We didn't hook back up until over a year after high school! And the other I just can't seem to get rid of... Buddy just keeps sticking around! Must like me or something!

Alexa has more attitude than most teenagers I know. Kind of a TMI, but the guy buddy lives with um farted last night, and she walked to him and put her hands on her hims and said "Um sir, we do not do that in here" as she pointed her finger at the room in general. We were !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetR3 View Post
JOining in from the western most parts of south Louisiana to read your TR. I followed you over from.....ahh.....ummm......somewhere??? Maybe the crazy inlaws TR??

Can't wait to hear more about your trip!
yeah has to be the in-laws TR! Amandaw has also come over from that one I believe. Either that or Andy's TR (Afwdwfan).
lilpixiebabe101 is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #25
Monknmom
DIS Veteran
 
Monknmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpixiebabe101 View Post
I do have the update 3/4 of the way finished. It's a lot of background work from the days leading up to the trip since I didn't DIS hardly at all that week. Should be up in the next hour or so

What happened? LIFE....

Haha.. I only see/hang out with two people from high school/college. One is my best friend who I didn't even graduate with because she left our Junior year. We didn't hook back up until over a year after high school! And the other I just can't seem to get rid of... Buddy just keeps sticking around! Must like me or something!

Alexa has more attitude than most teenagers I know. Kind of a TMI, but the guy buddy lives with um farted last night, and she walked to him and put her hands on her hims and said "Um sir, we do not do that in here" as she pointed her finger at the room in general. We were !
Yeah I don't see anyone from high school I have them on my face book! That's the extent of that friendship! I have been dating K since I was a junior in high school and we have been dating since I was a senior and then married a month after I graduated... we still see people we went to high school with, but they are off doing other things with their lives and I don't have much in common with them to talk. The sad thing is that my closest friend is 12 years older than me! We laugh because someone thought that she was my sister and in the same conversation said "mom?" But I click with her the best so it's good! Plus our son's have the same "issues" we go through so that helps to talk to someone that knows!
__________________
Monknmom is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #26
lilpixiebabe101
DIS Veteran
 
lilpixiebabe101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lousiana- 14 hours away from my happiest place on earth!!!
Posts: 1,336

Day 1 Part 1 Get ME to Disney Now!

Okay, so I apologize in advance because this update will have few pictures! (And this is another apology for how long and rambly I've realized this post is now that I'm half way through it.)

A little background to our departure week.

My mom always takes off two weeks before, during, after Christmas, so she was trying to get a lot of stuff done to be able to leave and take her usual holiday time off.

Monday - I work 10am - 10pm (holiday hours remember). Any time to pack or Christmas shop? Nope

Tuesday- My aunt (my mom's sister) decided we need to take family pictures for my Grandfather less than a week before Christmas.. So I work the salon all day, go to the grandparents house, and we take pictures till almost 9pm. Get home late. Again was there time to pack or Christmas shop? No (I think your starting to see the trend here...

Wednesday- Salon day again. What are the plans tonight? Why for the salon ladies to get dressed up and go out to eat and be merry all together for Christmas! Again the question.. shopping or packing? Nope... (This day I also did my Continuing Education Booklet for my MT license... and of course with everything going on I forget it at the salon!)

Thursday - Ok so this is December 15.. which means the next day is December 16... which is Buddy and Alexa's birthday.. Now everyone has had the last two weeks to see her to give her her birthday presents. I had been telling everyone for a month that we weren't doing a party because we were leaving for Disney. So this is how Thursday went down (on top of Buddy moving into the new townhouse, so we could stay with him his first night there). I get to work and get a call from my future DFIL.. tells me they need to see Alexa for a few minutes tonight to give her her gift. Then I get a phone call from Buddy saying his Grandma is cooking, and we have to eat with her first. So I get off from work late. I rush to get to the bank before they close, get to his grandma's and help him finish packing because of course he hasn't finished. We eat, and his aunt calls and says they are bringing her present too. To wait for them... 45 minutes later they show up with her present and their new 10 week old puppy... Now I have a day away from 3 year old that has other places to be, and I'm still not packed for my "happy place. I was not a happy camper. 30 minutes later after I beg Alexa to leave the puppy alone.. . We head to my house to pack. My dad is there and they have a cake... So instead of him spending time while I'm spazing out packing.. We spend 20 minutes doing cake, ice cream, etc. Do we see a pattern here? Ok packing done.. Thank goodness I had been "throwing things AT our suitcases" for the last two weeks. We head to future DFIL's house.. Buddy has called me like 3 times by now asking where we are. "Um you know where we are? You could have gone and gotten YOUR daughter earlier and already gone to all the houses because no one really needed to see me!" Was not a good time to test my nerves! We get there and his dad and step mom aren't even home yet! We spend a little while with his grandmother and then go to his dad's in the backyard after they finally got home! (I don't think I've mentioned since he was moving in to the townhouse while I was packing that this means we still have a walmart trip to make tonight for the necessities?) They had gotten her a portable DVD player.. My dad had already gotten her one of the trip, complete with a hook up for the back of the passenger seat! I just thanked them very nicely and now she has her own mini-tv at her Daddy's house! We finally get to the townhouse, and go to walmart, and get home and go to sleep for 2am...

Friday - Since I had to be at the mall bright and early today for 8am.. I live 45 minutes away lol. I was not a bright happy camper. It was one of those "t-minus 6 hours, 58 minutes, and 30 seconds till I can leave this hellish place for Disney" type moods. And the day went by sooooooooo slow.. To be the 2nd to last friday before Christmas... I didn't even make quota for the day. So Mom went to work, my brother went and took his last exam, Alexa was at school seeing "Ho Ho" at their Christmas party and I was at work. Mom and I kept texting how long we had left! Apparently My boss and coworker had planned for the coworker to come in like 30 minutes early to let me leave early. No one told me, and since we were busy and my boss was there I asked the boss to call me if we got busy and walked to Macy's to Christmas shop for a few minutes. Get back and the coworker is there early?!?! They were like we planned for you to be able to leave early... and of course the boss didn't tell me this and it's 3:30.. when I was suppose to leave anyway.

I get to my dad's office and load the stuff from my car into my mom's. Put my dad's business card into my windshield, so my car didn't get towed from his "no overnight parking" lot. And we hit the road... finally!

No traffic on the way out of BR! We started doing our trivia books. We had 4 of them! We quickly realize that the first one is very old.. Talking about things that haven't been in Disney since the 80's... Switched to another book... Little know questions about all the classic Disney Movies! Another no go because my brother is clueless and my mom doesn't pay a lot of attention to details. Book 3 time! This one was a keeper.. then again it was the newest Disney trivia book to hit the market. Found out about it from the "Celebration" magazine.

(This is it if you wanted to know. Definitely recommend it!)
We did Trivia till we stopped for dinner at...

It was about 10 minutes before we stopped to eat that I looked at my mom and asked "Did you put the Pull-Ups in the trunk?" (They had been in my car when I transferred my stuff to her car) "No. Did you?" "No. Yes. Idk??" At Wendy's we checked the trunk for the Pull-Ups.. no dice! Yes.. Yes.. I had left the Pull-Ups in my car... We had no Pull-Ups and only a #1 trained 3 year old. So we decided to wing it and stop at the next Target we saw. (I needed another pair of jeans in case it was cold on the trip, and I can only fight right into Mossimo Jeans [Target only brand]). Normally we would have extra Pull-Ups in one of our vehicles... but Mom had gotten her new car a week before we left, so there was no day to day type things in the car yet.
but in Black!

We get our food and get back in the car to eat as we drive. This is where the driving hit a snag.. We start driving through the middle of NOWHERE Florida (because we were suppose to be staying in Tallahassee). There would be cell service for 5 minutes and then none for 20 minutes. Or Joseph would have it and I wouldn't and vice versa. (This would be a trend in Disney as well). So my car entertainment of talking to various people in skype was put on hold. Sad Ashley.

We finally made it to Tallahassee around 11 pm. Thank goodness mom had called the week before to make a reservation because when she called they only had like 5 rooms left. All the universities were doing their December graduations that Friday night! We stayed here...


Next Update. Will we find a target to have Pull-Ups before the first "Accident"?


lilpixiebabe101 is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #27
amandaw
DIS Veteran
 
amandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,130

Wow! What a hectic week! I'm tired just reading about it.

Glad y'all were able to finally get going to Disney. Although, that must've been a horrible feeling to realize you'd left the pull-ups in your car.

Hope y'all were able to make it to a Target before any accidents happened.

Was the hotel you stayed in overnight nice? We'll be doing our 1st Disney road trip this coming December (I'm sick of all the hassle with flying) and we're going to drive halfway there the 1st night. We're thinking of stopping somewhere around Tallahassee.
amandaw is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #28
lilpixiebabe101
DIS Veteran
 
lilpixiebabe101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lousiana- 14 hours away from my happiest place on earth!!!
Posts: 1,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monknmom View Post
Yeah I don't see anyone from high school I have them on my face book! That's the extent of that friendship! I have been dating K since I was a junior in high school and we have been dating since I was a senior and then married a month after I graduated... we still see people we went to high school with, but they are off doing other things with their lives and I don't have much in common with them to talk. The sad thing is that my closest friend is 12 years older than me! We laugh because someone thought that she was my sister and in the same conversation said "mom?" But I click with her the best so it's good! Plus our son's have the same "issues" we go through so that helps to talk to someone that knows!
Well of course LIFE interfered! You know how crazy my work schedule is! I thought "Oh, its January. It'll be slow when I get to work. Nope never slowed down!

Buddy and I dated on and off Sophomore year of high school until we started college. We didn't have much contact the summer between high school and college... until I got another boyfriend.. and he FLIPPED! Needless to say it only took till that Christmas to make him get his butt in gear and we've been together the last 5 years straight now


Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Wow! What a hectic week! I'm tired just reading about it.

Glad y'all were able to finally get going to Disney. Although, that must've been a horrible feeling to realize you'd left the pull-ups in your car.

Hope y'all were able to make it to a Target before any accidents happened.

Was the hotel you stayed in overnight nice? We'll be doing our 1st Disney road trip this coming December (I'm sick of all the hassle with flying) and we're going to drive halfway there the 1st night. We're thinking of stopping somewhere around Tallahassee.
When I sat down in my mom's car to hit the road, I felt like I lost a huge weight off my shoulders. I can't say a lot though. I work Thursday thru Monday at the mall, and then I work at a brand new hair salon, The Looking Glass Beauty Lounge, off Hooper Road on Tuesday's and Wednesdays! And starting this week every other Saturday morning will be spent at the Lounge and the other evening at the mall! I feel exhausted every week. But it's called building my clientele!

The hotel was GORGEOUS! If you want I can get the contact info from my mom and PM it to you! They even had a gorgeous indoor heated pool!
lilpixiebabe101 is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #29
amandaw
DIS Veteran
 
amandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpixiebabe101 View Post
When I sat down in my mom's car to hit the road, I felt like I lost a huge weight off my shoulders. I can't say a lot though. I work Thursday thru Monday at the mall, and then I work at a brand new hair salon, The Looking Glass Beauty Lounge, off Hooper Road on Tuesday's and Wednesdays! And starting this week every other Saturday morning will be spent at the Lounge and the other evening at the mall! I feel exhausted every week. But it's called building my clientele!
It sounds like you're well on your way to building up your clientele! I'm sure it's a lot of hard work on top of being a mother as well. But, what a great example you are to your little girl to go after what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpixiebabe101 View Post
The hotel was GORGEOUS! If you want I can get the contact info from my mom and PM it to you! They even had a gorgeous indoor heated pool!
I would love the info, if you don't mind. No rush on it - just whenever youd' get a chance - I still have a LONG time until our next trip. Even though we'd only be staying 1 night, I still like a nice place in order to sleep easy. Thank you!
amandaw is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #30
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerbellandeeyor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,778

Wow what and exacting adventure this is turning up to be can't wait to read the rest
tinkerbellandeeyor is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.