Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What month were you unable to dock at Castaway Cay due to weather or high winds?
January 46 23.12%
February 16 8.04%
March 32 16.08%
April 3 1.51%
May 4 2.01%
June 4 2.01%
July 3 1.51%
August 19 9.55%
September 17 8.54%
October 36 18.09%
November 15 7.54%
December 18 9.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #46
ilovepooh
I keep rubbing my head hoping an answer will come into it

poll

great idea to post this poll to collect data that can be helpful to someone planning a cruise. Thanks! Interesting Jan/Feb/March but i wasn't too surprised about peak hurricane season Aug/Sept/Oct also being highest.

ilovepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #47
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post
We have been extremely fortunate. In 8 cruises that included CC (our 9th was in the Med), we have never missed a stop there We have sailed in May, July, August, September, October and November.
Looks like you beat the odds. Go Sox and Go Patriots!
insureman is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #48
Toniann966
my 3 mice

We were on the same cruise with dvcdisney and ladyleslie (we were fish extender buddies- hi guys!) August 2011. missed castaway cay due to hurricane damage. But unlike them, we weren't doing a back to back. So we booked another cruise on board. May try something a bit safer than hurricane season (March)
Toniann966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #49
LUVMICKEY
DIS Veteran

It was our very first cruise. March, and the weather had been very rainy and windy the whole time we were on the ship (Wonder). We were very disappointed, but it has been great ever since.

LUVMICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #50
bbn1122
DIS Veteran

Blame it on Hurricane Irene, we were on the 3 Night cruise last August that left just as Irene went by. Seas were very rough first night, we docked at Nassau, but everything was shut down pretty much. Then that night they announce no CC....it was terrible. They docked again the next day in Nassau, some people go off, but we stayed onboard. So, 3 days on the ship...the Dream...crowded....not good!!!

I vow not to go again in August....
DVC - BLT April 2011,
AKL - Aug 2011,
HHI - August 2012
BLT - June 2013
Vero Beach - August 014
Magic - West Carib April 2010, 2 night NYC June 2012
Dream - 3 night - August 2011 3 Night Dream - August 2014
bbn1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #51
insureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbn1122 View Post
Blame it on Hurricane Irene, we were on the 3 Night cruise last August that left just as Irene went by. Seas were very rough first night, we docked at Nassau, but everything was shut down pretty much. Then that night they announce no CC....it was terrible. They docked again the next day in Nassau, some people go off, but we stayed onboard. So, 3 days on the ship...the Dream...crowded....not good!!!

I vow not to go again in August....
That's too bad. It's a good reason not sail during hurricane season.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #52
grace&philipsmom
DIS Veteran

DD had begged for 2 years to go on a disney cruise so she could get to Castaway Cay - some of her school friends had gone and told her how great CC was. It took 2 years to wear DH down, and convince him to go! We finally went in November 2010, and due to high winds as a result of hurricane Thomas, we stayed at sea on what would have been our CC day. DD cried for over an hour!

We are finally booked again in 2013 to try again for CC! This time we are planning to try in April, hopefully we will will have better luck!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #53
insureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace&philipsmom View Post
DD had begged for 2 years to go on a disney cruise so she could get to Castaway Cay - some of her school friends had gone and told her how great CC was. It took 2 years to wear DH down, and convince him to go! We finally went in November 2010, and due to high winds as a result of hurricane Thomas, we stayed at sea on what would have been our CC day. DD cried for over an hour!

We are finally booked again in 2013 to try again for CC! This time we are planning to try in April, hopefully we will will have better luck!
Good luck in 2013, it seems like April has a low probability for cancellations to CC
Old 01-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #54
insureman

Just wondering how the latest cruisers made out with getting to CC.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #55
Alexis Green
Mouseketeer

We missed it on our very first Disney cruise last year on the Magic. Feb 26-March 5th. We had terrible luck with two groups of people on different days needed to be brought back to port. Then really rough weather the day before and day of Castaway day.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #56
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

DW and I were on the Wonder when they repositioned her to the west coast January 2011. We missed CC because of very high winds
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, Port Canaveral/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one

Last edited by MinnesotaMouseketeers; 01-15-2012 at 01:43 PM.
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:45 AM   #57
insureman

bump
Old 02-03-2012, 05:43 AM   #58
Callymum
DIS Veteran

We missed CC I'm October 3rd 2010 on the Wonder Eastern Carrbn Cruise.
Woke up really early and they were trying to dock at CC, decided to go back to bed for an hour and then get up when docked.

Woke up and looked out of Veranda and we were leaving CC with the Island getting farther away. No call over the speaker system to tell us anything till 3 hours later.
We stopped in Nassau the day before and then missed CC and then on the ship for the next 2 days and night in horrendous weather, he didn't take us out of the storm as it would have taken him too far away I think.
We weren't allowed on top deck because of the danger, a total waste of money.

On the Dream this September we were in Port Canaveral and joined the ship and the weather got really bad so the port Authority didn't let us leave Port.
We were stuck in Port till the morning and at least the weather got a little better and they let us leave.
We actually sailed into fantastic weather and watched the sky behind us and there were 3 Tornadoes starting in the Sea. We got docked at CC this time and we really realised what we missed last time..
Callymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #59
chiamarie
Mouseketeer

I missed CC on my first cruise WAY back in Oct 1999 on the Magic. There had been a hurricane that came through that pretty much destroying the port. We even still went there to drop off supplies to the CM's that were working on getting CC back up and running. It was super disappointing to see, but not be able to go!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #60
randy2005
Mouseketeer

We are going May 2013 and I am hoping/praying we don't miss CC. I want to see that island so much.
randy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: