Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #91
stephielela
DIS Veteran

I can't believe it is June already! Time is flying by! Only 24 more days until our trip!!

We've had several discussions in our house about planning, and we have a few things figured out...

Wednesday June 27th

Our flight doesn't leave until 7 pm, so we are all working a normal day. Well, except I will be on my 8th straight day because we are ALL taking vacation this month so our schedules are a bit screwy. My mom and dad will both probably come home a bit early, and I will get home, take the dog to the groomers and then we will all pick up Jack, where we will surprise him by heading to the airport! My sister is driving to the airport and parking her car there since she will be coming straight from work. Someone will probably grab sandwiches or something to eat on the way.

I bought a couple things at Target for Jack, a little Spongebob reusable bag, a Cat in the Hat movie and some glow sticks. I'm considering making him some tshirts, but that will depend on how much free time I have before our trip.

We aren't getting in until 10:40pm. We are planning on taking some snack and cereal etc in a suitcase and then we will stop at a gas station for soda and milk. Once we get to the house I am sure we will dump our stuff out and I will put Jack to bed before getting our stuff ready for the next morning.

Here are some pictures of the condo

Most important feature...

I know it's not a huge pool, but it will be perfect to lounge in and let Jack splash around in. I will have to make sure he doesn't see it until we get back from the park the next day...

Thursday June 28th

This day my mom has her 1 hour presentation for work, (the whole reason we are even going on this trip...) I have 2 plans in mind right now.

1. My mom can drop my dad and sister at Universal on the way to her meeting. It would probably be 7:30 am or so, they would probably heave to leave by 6:45, since we know nothing about traffic. They can have breakfast or whatever while they wait for the park to open. Jack and I would get up around 8 and I would let him swim a bit, eat breakfast and be ready for my mom to pick us up around 10:30 and we would meet my dad and sister at the park.

2. Jack and I would go with my dad and sister in the morning, my mom would drop us and then head back to Universal right after her meeting.

The reason I am considering skipping the early morning drop off is because Jack doesn't do well on little sleep. We had many tantrums and fits on our December 2010 trip, and while he is much older now and better behaved... he still is a 4 year old boy who gets cranky when he's tired. I haven't run this plan by my parents yet, but I know they are not looking forward to a repeat of our December trip...
stephielela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #92
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I bet the sleep in option is probably better with jack...I know the feeling of wanting to get there early though!
jenseib is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #93
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I bet the sleep in option is probably better with jack...I know the feeling of wanting to get there early though!
Funny you should mention that Jen...
Old 06-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #94
stephielela
DIS Veteran

You know I've really started planning when my plans chage, lol.

After posting here the other day I mentioned to my parents about the sleeping in idea. My mom suddenly realized that getting 6 or fewer hours of sleep before a work presentation wasn't a great idea...

So we looked at changing flights! We found a non stop (my mom only likes non stops) that left here at 11:55 instead. My sister would still have to take the late4r flight because of work, but having only one person coming in late still guarantees more sleep for everyone since there will be no waiting at the airport for bags, renting the car etc, just picking her up and going.

Here's where it gets complicated... I had to call SW to get my sister split off our confirmation since when you go to change flights online it changes everyone associated with that number. My mom is seperate since she had to book through work so she had gotten it switched first. Once I got my sister split I went online to make the changes... and the price for 3 people is $22more than the price for 1, since there are only so many fares available at that price. We were already looking at a $34 increase, but a $56 one was too much... so my dad, Jack and I are going on a different flight... at 7:35 am

So now we get in at 11:15. We will get the car, and pick up the groceries and hang out until my mom gets in around 3:30. I'm thinking a round of golf at Fantasia Gardens?Lunch at EoS? Then once we get my mom we will head to the house, unpack, swim, make dinner etc. Then my mom, Jack and I will go to bed early while my dad goes to pick up my sister. This way we will ALL be able to get up at 6 and head to the parks! This also means I get out of an extra day of work! It also means an easier surprise for Jack, nothing like waking a kid up and saying "we're going on vacation today!"

I am FINALLY getting excited about this trip! i mean I was excited before, but now that I am really getting into the planning, it's getting more fun. My heart will still hurt from not being at Disney, but since I am deep into my planning for our fall adventure, I think I will survive
Old 06-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #96
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I like the way you think
me too!
Old 06-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #97
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Another sure sign that I'm getting serious about this trip... shopping! I wanted to get Jack a couple things for the trip, mostly tshirts so I went on a hunt yesterday. I had seen a few shirts at Target that were only $8 and would be perfect. Then I considered making some myself, but after really thinking about the time and effort, I realized it wasn't that cost effective. Thank goodness! Because when I went back to Target the Despicable Me shirt was on clearance for $2.40! Then I had to go to WalMart for redbox so I checked there and they had a Spiderman shirt for $4.88! Yes please! SO much better than making them myself! Now he has a shirt for each park day and I didn't break the bank!

I'm also on the hunt for mini personal fans. I know Target has had them in the past in the camping section, but they didn't have any yesterday, so I will check another Target this weekend. I remember they were pretty cheap and came in different colors, and I know they will come in handy.

I have to break the news to my boss today that I am leaving earlier so I can't work that day Probably something I should have checked on BEFORE I changed the ticket but I am 99% sure it won't be an issue...
Old 06-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #98
stephielela
DIS Veteran

*Updated Day 1*

OK, let's try this again...

Wednesday June 27th

My mom will drop my dad, Jack and me off at the airport on her way to work. We will take all checked luggage with us (there won't be much) and will probably get there around 6:30. For our DC trip I stopped and got donut holes the night before for the plane, and it worked out well so I will probably do that again.

Our flight lands at 11:15 am. We will pick up the rental car and head off to do something fun. My current thought is to drive to Disney and eat at Earl of Sandwich, and then play a round of mini golf. My dad said he doesn't want to celebrate Father's Day too big since we are taking this trip, so this will be his gift from me and Jack. I know we've done Fantasia Gardens so I am thinking I want to try the Winter Summerland one. Any advice/recommendations?

Then we will swing by the grocery store, then pick up my mom from the airport at 3:45. Once we have her, we will head to the house, unpack, make dinner and lounge by our "baby" pool for the evening. I figure if I let Jack swim to his hearts content, he will pass out around 8 pm, giving him a good night's rest before our early park morning.

My dad will still have to go pick up my sister, but at least they can just come to the house and crash, they don't have to worry about getting the "park bag" ready or anything and unpacking.

On an interesting note, our flights went down $7 each on the way there (we are flying Delta back ) The way I see it, that's $7 towards my next vacation!
Old 06-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #99
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

I love all the modifications already! No worries, i'm like that too!

Uh-oh, you don't like Delta either? We've flown with Delta I think once or twice and it wasn't too bad. We're doing United to MCO then SW back to LAX.

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Starting the New Year off right!...at WDW January 2015 PTR
Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TROur First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #100
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Did you find a reasonable Delta one way back? I always find their one way prices so high...at least here they are. So I never even look anymore for that option with them.
I think last time it was just slightly cheaper for a 1 way verses a full round trip price. No thanks.
jenseib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #101
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
I love all the modifications already! No worries, i'm like that too!

Uh-oh, you don't like Delta either? We've flown with Delta I think once or twice and it wasn't too bad. We're doing United to MCO then SW back to LAX.
I'm not a huge fan, but to be fair I haven't flown them often, only once that I can remember, so I will try to have an open mind this time around.

I change plans CONSTANTLY. It's funny because I like it when I'm the one changing, but for our Fall trip we are having issues getting everyone "aligned" for lack of a better word (more updates on that later) so we keep making changes and it's driving me nuts! Does this make me a control freak?

Quote:
Did you find a reasonable Delta one way back? I always find their one way prices so high...at least here they are. So I never even look anymore for that option with them.
I think last time it was just slightly cheaper for a 1 way verses a full round trip price. No thanks.
It was the cheapest one way back we could get. I looked everywhere to compare. I'm one of those people who books really far in advance since I am fine with just getting credit if the fare goes down (it's like pre paying for my next trip ) and we didn't book until mid May, so I wasn't expecting to see anything cheaper. SW has gone down slightly, but I haven't even checked anyhting else since I can't change the Delta tix and I don't want to make myself mad
Old 06-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #102
stephielela
DIS Veteran

One week from now...

We will be in Orlando!

Since this trip is right around the corner, I should probably go ahead and finalize our plans...

Thursday June 28th

My mom has to be at her meeting around 8, so she is going to drop my dad, sister, Jack and me at Universal probably around 7:30 am. We will get some breakfast and then get lined up in plenty of time to get in the park early!

My mom's meeting is an hour so we forsee having her meet back up with us around noon at the latest, so the morning will be spent doing the attractions she doesn't care as much about, or the ones we know we will want to do more than once. I will post a touring plan later, but the one monkey wrench is Minion Mayhem... it's in its soft opening stages, which means sometimes it's open, sometimes not, and if it opens up we WILL get in line for that.

We are planning on doing Margaritaville for dinner, so we will probably leave the park to do that early evening and then come back to finish up what we can.

Friday June 29th

Friday we are doing Island of Adventure! As a total Potter nerd, I am beside myself with excitement!!!

The park opens at 8 so we will aim to be there by 7ish. I really wish we ahd early entry, but oh well. A friend of ours may also be joining us this day, she lives in FL and has AP's so that will be fun.

Right now I am thinking we might be better off putting WWoHP off until later in the day. Everything I have read says that if you don't have early entry, don't try to go in the morning? If that is the case then I think we will do everything else until around 5 and then head over there at 5 and devote the evening to WWoHP! If anyone has advice on this, I would be THRILLED to hear it! I am feeling way out of my league not knowing much about these parks...

We are also thinking we will do the meal deal for this day. It's about $100 for all 5 of us, so if we eat 2 meals, we will more than pay for it since there is no way we would eat for less than $10 per person per meal... Plus you can go through as many times as you want so even if we went through just for drinks, we would easily get our $$'s worth.

Saturday June 30th

We went back and forth a LOT for this day but we have finally settled on what I feel is an excellent plan My mom's flight leaves at 4:30 so she needs to be at the airport by 3. We have to be out of the house by 10...

Originally we though about doing a third park morning. The problem is we can't get the 3 day tix through the military without ordering them in advance, and we've passed the time limit. Not to mention it's a Saturday morning so even though we could go and spend a few hours, I'm not sure how much we would get accomplished...

So instead...

We have an 8:30 am ADR at Whispering Canyon Cafe!! I've heard great reviews of their breakfast skillet, so after looking at what was available last night, that's the one we chose!

After breakfast we may check out some resorts (I would really like to go see Art of Animation, since I want to stay there for our Fall adventure) and head to DTD (is Basin reopened? When I was there in February they were completely redoing it!) I'm really glad we are spending some time on Disney property, it really makes me happy even if we won't be doing parks. I just can't let go can I?!

Also, I broke down and told Jack about the trip

I just couldn't figure out why I wasn't more excited, and I think part of it was not being able to talk about it to (or around) him. He is having a little trouble understanding, but that's the other reason I told him, so I could explain that we weren't going to be going to Disney World this time, even though we'd be seeing some Disney things. Once I told him Spiderman lived at Universal, he seemed happier

So now the countdown is really on! One week! I haven't even started thinking about packing, and I'm working every single day up until we leave, with a few extracurricular work activities sprinkled in so I'm going to be busy! That;s probably for the best though, I work better under pressure!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #103
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Wow already one week away!

I'm so excited for you to be going to the WWoHP! I'm a huge HP nerd too, and this is on my list...someday..

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Starting the New Year off right!...at WDW January 2015 PTR
Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TROur First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #104
photographymom517
DIS Veteran

LOVE your plans!!!

I can't believe you only have a week until the trip!!!

I love how you decided to throw in DTD and Whispering Canyon! I am totally using you as my guinea pig on that one! LOL! I have been considering Whispering Canyon, but haven't made the ADR yet because I can't decide between breakfast & dinner! (Big surprise right? I can't decide...I'm always changing things!) Anyway, can't wait to hear what you think about the breakfast! Even if we don't eat there in December, I really want to check out WL just for the Christmas decor!

I'm glad you told Jack about the trip! I understand how you felt -- it's hard to be excited about something when you can't even talk about it!

There's a pic I want to post on your report, going to find it now!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #105
photographymom517
DIS Veteran

Thank you Steph!!!! Tyler loved his gift!!! And of course, so did I!!!

You were soooo sweet to think of us on your trip!!! I re-read your PTR last night & now I keep thinking about Basin White!!!

I can't wait to visit it on our December trip! I've only been to the Basin at DTD (and went last September for the first time ever!) I'll have to post a photo of the soap you got me! It smelled soooo good & was super cute (it was a stork with a blue hat on!)

Thanks again!!!

I'd also like to share your gift wrapping idea with all of your readers because I just thought it was genius!!!!

Stephanie put all of my gift items into a photo box & then wrapped it & shipped it!!! It was a super cute way to wrap it because it looked really nice AND I can use the photo box for Tyler's baby pictures!!! Great idea!!! I'm totally stealing your idea for future baby gifts!

And here's a picture of Tyler wearing the onesie you got him!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: