Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #76
stephielela
DIS Veteran

I said ANYTHING goes...

And I wasn't kidding. This update is in yet another color because... its ANOTHER trip!! I KNEW 2012 would be a big year...

This trip came about very suddenly. My mom found out she has to go to Orlando on buisness... and the most natural decision was all 5 of us should go right? There was lots of back and forth, where to stay, what dates, could my sister and I both get off work? It was a very dramatic 5 days in our house until finally the decision was made- WE ARE GOING!

But to where?
stephielela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #77
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

I know, I know!!!
NikkiLovesWDW! is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #78
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Ok, I decided not to keep you in suspense! We are cheating on Mickey with Harry!!

That's right folks we are spending a couple days AWAY from the magic and trying out the Universal Studios side of town! June 27-30 to be exact! My dad found an awesome deal on a Groupon, 3 nights in a 3BR townhouse for $339!! Airfare was not so friendly, but still we decided it was worth it. Once my sister finally got her vacation approved we booked!

This is our first foray into the Wizarding World, the last time we were at Universal was in 2002 and to be honest, none of us remembers much about it! I will be needing all kinds of tips and advice, and will be reading many TR's for planning ideas (TIA Jen!)

Now I will say, I already know I'm going to be feeling a bit out of sorts not seeing Mickey, but we do plan on spending our last morning at DTD and since I know I have a WDW trip coming in the fall, I am hoping that will help keep the blues at bay!

Also we are surprising Jack! Our flight on the 27th (Wednesday) leaves at 7 pm so we will all be going to work as usual and he will be going to school and when we pick him up, rather than heading home for a boring evening we will head right to the airport!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #80
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Wow! So many things going on at once! I love when that happens though. I love scheduling trips!

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #81
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Yay!!!!
I'm about to start dissecting your TR for planning purposes Can I swipe some of your pictures? I will totally give you credit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Wow! So many things going on at once! I love when that happens though. I love scheduling trips!
I know! It's almost overwhelming... almost I really NEED a vacation, my boss is driving me INSANE! She is being super irritating on a daily basis and my whole team is feeling the strain. She's actually going on vacation the two weeks before me so it will be a nice break for all involved
Old 05-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #82
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephielela View Post
I'm about to start dissecting your TR for planning purposes Can I swipe some of your pictures? I will totally give you credit!

I know! It's almost overwhelming... almost I really NEED a vacation, my boss is driving me INSANE! She is being super irritating on a daily basis and my whole team is feeling the strain. She's actually going on vacation the two weeks before me so it will be a nice break for all involved
you sure can!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #84
stephielela
DIS Veteran

DC wrap up part 1

Since I have so much going on I am just going to do a really abbreviated version of our DC trip and hit the highlights…

When I left off we were having people over for a party in our hotel. We have a TON of friends in the DC area, both from living there and Army contacts that have migrated there after getting out of the service. My best friend Melissa lives there as does my cousin Joey who is an actor with a Shakespeare group there. We wanted to make sure we saw as many people as possible in our short visit so we invited them all over.

I had promised Jack that we could take a quick swim first though so we hit the pool for about 20 minutes and then headed up to the room to shower/change.

It was really nice to see everyone again, and people were in love with Jack, most had never met him before. He was super shy at first but quickly warmed up once someone offered him their iphone to play Angry Birds on. After several hours of catching up we headed down to the restaurant in the hotel for dinner… let’s just say we didn’t make that mistake again… it was less than delicious.

It had been a looooong day so we were ready for bed right after dinner. I will say the bed was the MOST COMFORTABLE BED ever. Now if only Jack would learn how to sleep on his side of the bed!

The next morning we got up and ate breakfast and split up for the day. My sister, Melissa, Jack and I headed to GW (George Washington University) where I went to college. I wanted to hit the bookstore and get a tshirt and look around. There was a lot of “Look Jack, that’s where Mommy used to live” etc. It was kinda surreal.

Eventually we met up with Joey and we all walked over towards the White House.

We had tickets for the White House Garden Tour. The line was loooong but it moved relatively quickly. I will say I didn’t find it thrilling, but getting to wander around right next to the White House was cool! Jack was not intrigued and it took much persuading to get him to stop whining and pose for pictures.

That’s my cousin Joey.

Jack did NOT understand why he couldn’t play!

This is the new National Christmas Tree. I think the old one was damaged in a storm a couple years ago. I’ve been to the lighting ceremony and it is fun. This one isn’t looking so good either though…

Joey left and Jack finally got the ice cream he had been promised… Which he promptly dropped on the ground!

Then it was time for monuments!

My sister, Melissa, and Jack

My sister, me and Jack

In case you were wondering…

WWII

I LOVE this memorial. I was living in DC when this was built and I used to go running at Night down by this monument frequently. I know some people get mad that people use the pool to put their feet in, but I am pretty sure I read somewhere it was intended that way. There are no signs or anything saying you shouldn’t, and I wish this had been there when I was younger because kids don’t really get a thrill out of walking miles and miles in the heat, so this helps.

I wouldn’t let Jack splash in it or anything though, it was strictly a feet cooling place!

There was a bridal party getting pictures taken here that day. Jack thought the bride was “beautiful”.

Last edited by stephielela; 05-30-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #85
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Next up was President Lincoln!

My dad got some more pictures of Jack here but I donít have those loaded yetÖ
We met up with my parents here and then headed back to the hotel. My mom was going out with some friends so the rest of us went to happy hour at the hotel and freshened up before heading to dinner at Pentagon Row. This time we went to Tai-phoon which was yummy!
After dinner Melissa and Katie and I hit up a pub I used to go to frequently when I lived there. IT was nice just reminiscing, though it made me feel super old! We were pretty exhausted from all the walking so we hopped the shuttle back to the hotel relatively early.

The next morning was gross and rainy. We got up, ate breakfast and headed to the Smithsonian museums. Our first stop was Air and Space

You can tell how thrilled Jack was about museums in general here. He just doesnít have a lot of patience yet, and we didnít have that much time to spend getting him excited about it. Iím hoping in another year or two he might get more into it.

After Air and Space we met up with Joey and headed to Natural History, literally to JUST see the dinosaurs.

It was cold and rainy and yucky and we actually had to hurry and meet up with my parents and sister so Joey could hang with them while Jack and Melissa and I went to see an old friend from college.

And this is where the pictures end for some reason! We visited with my friend for a while. Jack LOVED him and his partner. Both of them are very friendly and great with kids. My friends partner is also into Phineas and Ferb so we all sat around and watched a few episodes and caught up. After a bit we met back up with my parents and cousin for dinner and then headed back for an early night. We took Jack to swim, and Melissa tried her best to teach him, but all he wants to do is jump in. Melissa had to leave to go to work the next day so we ordered room service dessert (which was gross) and then she left. We got all packed and went to bed.

The next morning was CHILLY. Luckily it wasnít as rainy. We all had some last minute things we wanted to do so we headed into the city and went our separate ways. Jack was intent on getting an Obama bobble head. This kid wanted NOTHING else. Naturally the one at the hotel was like $20 and I really didnít want to pay that since we had seen it at the street kiosks for around $8. After our third attempt we finally found a kiosk that had one! After we purchased our various souvenirs we headed back to the mall by the hotel and ate in the food court. Shortly after Jack and I met my parents and sister and we headed back to the hotel to catch the shuttle to the airport! At the airport I naturally bought a few more items and then we waitedÖ and waitedÖ I hate getting to the airport early for that reason. Eventually we got on our flight (Frontier) and had the rudest flight attendant ever. But we made it home, safe and sound and ready for our next adventure!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #86
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Nice updates!

I totally regret not having enough time to see the White house or the WWII monument. We only had one day, got to see a lot, but clearly not everything. I would love to go back there one day. It's all so fascinating! It never really intrigued me back when I was younger, but as you get older, you learn to appreciate things more. I'm pretty sure Jack will get there one day

I LOVE the picture of him in that basket! He looks so amused!

Also, I have a question, not pertaining to your TR..
I was going to ask you about Frontier. Is it a pretty good airline? I've never used them before and haven't heard much about them, but I keep getting email alerts for the dates of the flights i've been looking at and they seem to be the cheapest (Southwest hasn't come out with December dates yet) Also, is it true the best times to book flights are Tuesday and Wednesday mornings/afternoons?

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT

Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Old 05-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #87
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I can remember being a teen and bring dragged around museums in NYC and getting the glazed over look...Now I want to go back and see them. LOL
sounds like Jack did pretty good with a lot of adult activity.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #88
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Nice updates!

I totally regret not having enough time to see the White house or the WWII monument. We only had one day, got to see a lot, but clearly not everything. I would love to go back there one day. It's all so fascinating! It never really intrigued me back when I was younger, but as you get older, you learn to appreciate things more. I'm pretty sure Jack will get there one day

I LOVE the picture of him in that basket! He looks so amused!

Also, I have a question, not pertaining to your TR..
I was going to ask you about Frontier. Is it a pretty good airline? I've never used them before and haven't heard much about them, but I keep getting email alerts for the dates of the flights i've been looking at and they seem to be the cheapest (Southwest hasn't come out with December dates yet) Also, is it true the best times to book flights are Tuesday and Wednesday mornings/afternoons?
There is so much to see in DC it's hard to fit it all in, even in a week or two!

As for Frontier... I'm not a huge fan of them. I really love Southwest and so naturally I compare everything else to them. I also love Jet Blue, but they don't fly out of here. I don't HATE Frontier, I just haven't had fantastic experiences with them, but I would choose them if they were significantly cheaper than SW... I have heard that the best times to book are Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, and I think that's true sometimes, but there are always exceptions. I would look around, see what fares are looking like and then come up with a price (within that range) you are comfortable with paying. The other nice thing about SW is if the fare goes down, you can get a SW credit for the difference. I don't know if any other airlines offer that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I can remember being a teen and bring dragged around museums in NYC and getting the glazed over look...Now I want to go back and see them. LOL
sounds like Jack did pretty good with a lot of adult activity.
I know! I used to HATE the museums but now...
Jack did pretty well, he is pretty impatient but then again so am I and I don't even have the excuse of only being 4
Old 05-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #89
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephielela View Post
There is so much to see in DC it's hard to fit it all in, even in a week or two!

As for Frontier... I'm not a huge fan of them. I really love Southwest and so naturally I compare everything else to them. I also love Jet Blue, but they don't fly out of here. I don't HATE Frontier, I just haven't had fantastic experiences with them, but I would choose them if they were significantly cheaper than SW... I have heard that the best times to book are Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, and I think that's true sometimes, but there are always exceptions. I would look around, see what fares are looking like and then come up with a price (within that range) you are comfortable with paying. The other nice thing about SW is if the fare goes down, you can get a SW credit for the difference. I don't know if any other airlines offer that.

I figured you were going to say Southwest. I've only flown one roundtrip with SW and I really do like them! We have the credit card with SW so we're constantly charging things to that card to rack up points. Thanks for the tips!

Old 06-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #90
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I figured you were going to say Southwest. I've only flown one roundtrip with SW and I really do like them! We have the credit card with SW so we're constantly charging things to that card to rack up points. Thanks for the tips!
Lol, I DO love SW! I am actually planning on getting a SW credit card on the next few weeks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: