Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #31
stephielela
DIS Veteran

So it would seem that even on a short simple trip like this one, I can't seem to stop myself from making changes. Maybe this is my own special form of OCD.

Previously I was going to head to DTD after checking in at Pop. Not anymore! I did some thinking (I obviously have too much time on my hands) and decided to switch it up a bit so here is the NEW plan!

Once I arrive and check in, I will take a bus to the Magic Kingdom (or Epcot I suppose, whichever comes first). From there I will hop on the monorail and get off at the Contemporary. I want to spend some time browsing there and then I will head to the Polynesian where I now have an ADR for 6:45 at Kona Cafe! I have never eaten there for dinner, but I got the recipe for their Kona Salad a couple years ago and we make it at home relatively frequently. I decided to try it out and see if theirs tastes anything like the version we make! I also have been dying to try a Lapu Lapu, so I figured I will eat there and then take my drink outside to the beach for the fireworks which are at 8 pm that night. After Wishes I will probably just head back to Pop and go to bed.

My Epcot day will stay the same, head there for rope drop and conquer Future World until 11 when my favorite place in the World is open, World Showcase! I am going to grab lunch there and hang out until Nikki and Tom arrive and we meet up. From there we will do whatever we want (margaritas please) and then we have a dinner ADR at La Hacienda. I've never eaten there so I am really excited about this.

Both Nikki and I have been stalking the weather forecast, but it changes every single day. I think I am going to rent a locker so that I can bring a jacket and maybe even a pair f sneakers (I am currently planning on wearing new sandals I ordered) in case it gets too chilly at night. So far we have seen temps from 63-80 forecasted for this day so I will be packing for all possibilities!

The last day I have an 8:50 ADR at Grand Floridian Cafe (which I have also never been to), so when I am done I will check out GF before heading to DTD for some last minute shopping! I will also grab lunch there (EoS) before heading back to Pop to catch the ME back to the airport! My flight leaves at 3:25 pm and I will be sad to leave, but I'm sure I will be missing Jack by then so it won't be too tragic

So there you have it! My plans which hopefully will stay the same... I am really hoping the weather cooperates, but I am trying not to stress too much before hand! I am planning on packing on Thursday since it's my last day off before I leave...
stephielela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #32
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

You'll have fun, no matter what the weather is. Ad meeting up with Nikki will be a blast!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #33
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Hey, I like this new plan! Can't wait to hear about your Kona ressie. I've only had breakfast there, but i've heard good things about their dinner too. Is this the place that has the Hawaiian bread that they give you, or is it another restaurant?

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #34
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
You'll have fun, no matter what the weather is. Ad meeting up with Nikki will be a blast!
I absolutely cannot wait! I am so excited to "meet" another MWT friend! I thought I would have to wait for an AEP but I've gotten lucky twice now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Hey, I like this new plan! Can't wait to hear about your Kona ressie. I've only had breakfast there, but i've heard good things about their dinner too. Is this the place that has the Hawaiian bread that they give you, or is it another restaurant?
'Ohana has Hawaiian bread, and it is delicious! I have heard great things about dinner at Kona too, so I'm pretty thrilled!
Old 02-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #35
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

4 days!?!

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT

Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Old 02-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #36
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
4 days!?!

As it turns out, Kona does give you delicious bread with amazing butter. More details to come!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #37
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Well, it would seem I have been a bad DISer. not only did I not update before I left, I have been back for a week and am just now updating!!!

In short, the trip was FABULOUS. Everything I wanted and more. I promise to start posting real updates about it soon! I just need to get my pictures uploaded, which I hope to do tomorrow. It has seriously been nonstop action around here for a while, I feel like I have barely had time to breathe! But updates will be starting tomorrow!!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #39
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
YAY...I've been so behind anyways...take your time
Wellllll since you asked Jen, I will hold off another day no actually its because I can't seem to find time at work to do things other than work! When did my job get so important!? Tomorrow is looking good though...
Old 02-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #40
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephielela View Post
Wellllll since you asked Jen, I will hold off another day no actually its because I can't seem to find time at work to do things other than work! When did my job get so important!? Tomorrow is looking good though...
Old 02-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #41
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

I've been really behind too! Been feeling really sick lately with this baby growing in me. But i'm glad you made it back safe and sound and cannot wait to hear about your trip!

Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #42
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So Jen, I decided to hold off until you had planned, executed AND started writing about your latest adventure before I got started on mine

Quote:
I've been really behind too! Been feeling really sick lately with this baby growing in me. But i'm glad you made it back safe and sound and cannot wait to hear about your trip!
At least you have the excuse of pregnancy to be behind! I... just am slow

But no more!! Starting tomorrow I VOW to knock this mini TR out by April 19th... because I am going to DC on the 20th and want to write about it
Old 04-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #43
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephielela View Post
So Jen, I decided to hold off until you had planned, executed AND started writing about your latest adventure before I got started on mine

But no more!! Starting tomorrow I VOW to knock this mini TR out by April 19th... because I am going to DC on the 20th and want to write about it
I figured that was your plan!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #44
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Alrighty! Let’s see it has only been two months since I returned from my mini trip and I am FINALLY ready to start my TR! So let’s go back… wayyyyy back… to review. Long story short, I decided that for my birthday I wanted to take a quickie (literally 48 hour) trip to WDW… alone. Thanks to a stellar Southwest airfare sale and a few giftcards from my parents as Christmas/Birthday gifts, my dream became a reality. The icing on the cake was that my friend and fellow TA NikkiLovesWDW was going to be arriving the day after I was with her husband Tom. They were planning on spending their first day in Epcot which was coincidentally the park I was planning on visiting! It was like FATE! Well, maybe just good planning, but still!

So Tuesday January 31st came around and I was SO ready to go. I got up, got ready and then woke Jack up to get him to school. I wasn’t real specific on where I was going, but I told him I would be gone on a trip and that I would bring him back something special. He wasn’t too concerned, he was pretty ok with it actually. My flight was at 9:35 am and thanks to the fabulously well-organized airport we have, I didn’t need to get there until about 8:30. Our friend and neighbor met me at the house after I dropped Jack at school and I was on my way! I checked my duffel at curbside check in and waltzed right in!

I had a stop in Chicago, and we got in so early, they actually let us off the plane to grab something to eat! When I got back on I moved up to the front of the plane so I could get out faster when we landed  The second flight dragged on… I finished my book that I was hoping would last me both flights and I was getting really antsy to just GET THERE! Eventually, we landed and I caught my first glimpse of the faux monorail…

Gross story- so as I was walking towards ME there were lots of people who were obviously at the end of their vacation. I knew that pretty soon I’d be in their shoes, which always depresses me, so I tried to ignore it. Then I saw this mom and her little girl… and the girl was puking (very quietly actually) into a WDW bag! I felt so bad for her, what a horrible way to end your vacation! Anyways I kept walking and tried to ignore the queasy feeling in my stomach (I HATE throwing up).

Pretty soon I was making my way to this line!

There was NO ONE in line. It was empty this time around, which was nice. I got right on the ME and picked a seat closer to the front and got settled in!
Next to us was a DCL bus. I really hope to be on one of those soon!

Our driver wasn’t very entertaining, but he was kinda cute. I watched the movie and got even more excited! Soon I was seeing…

I was thrilled to be here! A little nervous at doing this on my own, but still thrilled!
Now, I have the WORST luck when it comes to ME stops. In September 2010, Jack and I stayed at Pop. The bus went to CBR first. In December 2010, we stayed at CBR, the bus went to Pop first. This trip was no exception, I had to wait for them to drop off at CBR before I could get to Pop. But eventually we did get there!

After I did online check in 10 days out, I called and made a few room requests, more or less just to test it out. I ended up getting everything I asked for! I had requested a king bed on an upper floor AND the room was ready! Of course, it was about 4 pm so that wasn’t really shocking. Check in was a bit slow, the girl didn’t seem to be too “with it”. It kinda lacked the “Disney touch” but maybe my standards are just too high? I also work in hotels, and have worked at the front desk for most of the time I’ve been in hospitality, so I am always over analyzing. Who knows. I had also called and pre-purchased my park ticket. When she had me all checked in she asked if I wanted to buy tickets, I mentioned to her that I already had, and it took her another few minutes to find it. Overall I would say check in took about 10 minutes, which was a bit lengthy, but I was also adding gift cards to the room, so that part was understandable. I did get to my room though!

And I was pleasantly surprised to see a Bounceback offer! (which I did NOT utilize)

I thought this was pretty cool too!

View from my room

I had packed a t-shirt and sandals in my carry on (since I wore long sleeves and boots on the plane) so I changed, brushed my hair and headed out!
I wandered around a little, enjoying the weather, and sat down to make some calls. I also got to chatting with an older gentleman who told me that he and his wife come during that time every year. They had been at MK that day and he said they literally didn’t wait in line AT ALL. He also started talking about how he and his wife enjoy coming as adults and that he thinks that people who bring little kids are wasting time/$ since he sees all these screaming kids and upset parents. I thought it was funny the assumptions people make, since he automatically assumed I must not have any children since I was there alone etc. I didn’t say anything, I do see his point (especially after our December trip) but I don’t agree. The good times far outweighed the bad, so I wouldn’t take it back.

Anyways after our chat I headed to the bus stops and got in line for the MK bus!

I think I waited maybe 10 minutes, but it was like 5 pm and EMPTY so I wasn’t surprised the buses weren’t more frequent. I was just happy to be on the bus, in my favorite place! We pulled up at MK and I debated on walking or taking the monorail to the Contemporary. I decided since the weather was so nice I would walk.

Once I got there, I browsed the shops for a bit and then headed to get a beverage.

I am on a new Sangria kick lately…

I sat back, checked emails, and enjoyed the quiet!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #45
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Once I was done, I headed to the monorail and rode over to the Poly. I checked out the shops here too (usually I have Jack and shopping is difficult- he likes to touch EVERYTHING) and then walked around outside a bit. I really love the atmosphere there! After a bit it was time for my 6:45 ADR!

I got seated pretty quickly and I had already checked out the menu so I knew what I wanted! I have been DYING to try a Lapu Lapu…

It was delicious but STRONG. It’s pretty pricey at $13, but there is no doubt you get your $$ worth in alcohol. The downside is it’s impossible to carry with you so you really have to finish it there.

I also ordered the Kona salad, which we make at home, and I am happy to report it tastes almost exactly the same!

And I know someone had asked about the bread earlier, and YES they DO have the bread, it is AMAZING with the butter they give you! I had to hold back from eating the whole thing!

I also got the sweet potato lemon grass bisque. It was pretty good too!

All together I think my meal was about $25 and the drink accounted for over half… my meal was also very speedy since it was just me and I knew what I wanted.

After dinner I headed down to the beach. I knew I wanted to watch Wishes from here so I walked around a bit and then settled into a lounge chair. They were playing Lilo and Stitch on the big screed outside.

It was getting a little chilly so I was surprised to see so many people in the pool!

I tried to get a couple pictures, just to show the viewpoint…

After the fireworks were over I joined the crowd heading back to the monorail. I decided to get off at the Grand Floridian, my mom wanted me to pick up some stuff for my sister at Basin White. I LOVE that store!

I evidently didn’t take a picture of what I bought, but I got her some bath bombs and body butter. I also picked up something for my friend Hope (photographymom517) who had recently had a beautiful baby boy! I also stopped in and got a coworker the Mickey antenna topper she had been wanting.

I hopped back on the monorail and then to the MK bus stop and waited FOREVER for a bus. Ok, it was probably 15 or 20 minutes, and then I had to stand which was fine except I am only 5 feet tall so I had trouble holding on to the overhead bars… but I made it and it was definitely worth not waiting for the next bus! I headed into the food court (despite the fact I was still stuffed) and got some coffee and my must have cheesecake before heading to my room.

I called my mom, unpacked my bag, and watched the various Disney propaganda channels while I ate my cheesecake and then promptly passed out! I had a big day ahead of me after all!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: