Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Tigerlulu
Mouseketeer

Tripod at WDW

Ok I am getting ready to go with my 4 kiddos in a few weeks. Vacationing for me is MISERABLE w/out my camera so photography is very much a large focus of mine on vacation. I have a good travel tripod but I have also read that there are plenty of surfaces to use in place of one. Thinking nighttime photography and that I need to suck it up and bring the tripod. But will it fit in lockers? What to do with it on the park until dark?

Also, is set up around the castle at night a problem? I am concerned about the potential crowd. Thoughts? Tips???
Thanks!!
Tigerlulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

If yours is a 'travel' tripod, it should have no problem fitting in the lockers. Only the biggest, heavy-duty pods, or full-size pods with large pistol grip heads, have difficulty fitting - almost any 'normal' or travel tripod should fit fine.

Setup with tripod isn't too difficult - just stake out your spot early enough, and try to put a little courtesy and logic into where you're setting up. If you want to reduce the number of people bumping into you or getting angry around where you are, don't set up in the middle of the road - rather, find a spot where you are right in front of a trash can, backed up to a fence or right up against one, just in front of a tree, beside the popcorn cart in a dead zone where no access is needed, and so on. By setting up in such a place, you're out of most people's way, and at the same time tend to have less people around you who might bump into the tripod. Stay friendly, talk to people who are settling in near you, invite them to sit in front of you and just let them know to try to avoid bumping the legs, etc...with a friendly attitude, you can even end up with some 'bodyguards' around you in the crowd who will make sure others don't impede your view or bump your camera rig.
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

when we drive ( 1/2 the time) i take a tripod. but i never have taken it to the parks. It's that one extra pice of equipent that i just dont want to lug around.

Therefore, i dont have an propper castle night time shots. I am always looking for an open trash can, and wadding up napkins to elevate the lense.

maybe this march.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

I can't attest to this personally, but others have posted that if you rent a locker and your tripod doesn't fit in it, you can leave it with the attendant who rents the locker.

My biggest issue with the tripod at night is that the darn thing is painted black and people just don't see it. Once it's set up, we try to stand around it in such a way as to "guard" the legs. So far, no one has knocked it over but I'm thinking it's just a matter of time. I don't leave the camera on the tripod while I'm waiting for that reason. It's only up there while I'm actually taking photos.

The funniest thing about having a tripod in the park? No matter how you're dressed, no matter what you look like, someone's going to come up to you and hand you a PhotoPass card expecting you to take their picture.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post

The funniest thing about having a tripod in the park? No matter how you're dressed, no matter what you look like, someone's going to come up to you and hand you a PhotoPass card expecting you to take their picture.
This just happened to a friend of mine who was shooting in MK last weekend with her tripod. I just told her, "welcome to the club."
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
Tigerlulu
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave
I can't attest to this personally, but others have posted that if you rent a locker and your tripod doesn't fit in it, you can leave it with the attendant who rents the locker.

My biggest issue with the tripod at night is that the darn thing is painted black and people just don't see it. Once it's set up, we try to stand around it in such a way as to "guard" the legs. So far, no one has knocked it over but I'm thinking it's just a matter of time. I don't leave the camera on the tripod while I'm waiting for that reason. It's only up there while I'm actually taking photos.

That's funny!
If I could leave it with the locker attendant that would be great! I hope it really works that way! I can't see leaving it at home but I can't see carrying it all day either. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
Tigerlulu
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackiedawg
If yours is a 'travel' tripod, it should have no problem fitting in the lockers. Only the biggest, heavy-duty pods, or full-size pods with large pistol grip heads, have difficulty fitting - almost any 'normal' or travel tripod should fit fine.

Setup with tripod isn't too difficult - just stake out your spot early enough, and try to put a little courtesy and logic into where you're setting up. If you want to reduce the number of people bumping into you or getting angry around where you are, don't set up in the middle of the road - rather, find a spot where you are right in front of a trash can, backed up to a fence or right up against one, just in front of a tree, beside the popcorn cart in a dead zone where no access is needed, and so on. By setting up in such a place, you're out of most people's way, and at the same time tend to have less people around you who might bump into the tripod. Stay friendly, talk to people who are settling in near you, invite them to sit in front of you and just let them know to try to avoid bumping the legs, etc...with a friendly attitude, you can even end up with some 'bodyguards' around you in the crowd who will make sure others don't impede your view or bump your camera rig.
Thanks for the advice. I definitely won't be in the middle of the street--people would drive me insane!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
njtree
Mouseketeer

Using tripod at Disney is gold. If your going back to the park late and then you don't have to "lug" it around. Stay as late as you can. Suggestion maybe send Wife and kids back to the room if you really want those pictures.

DSC04351 by NJtree, on Flickr

I have only had "photo pass" problem at animation resort taking pictures of Cars section. It was funny!

DSC04140 by NJtree, on Flickr
njtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Tigerlulu
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by njtree
Using tripod at Disney is gold. If your going back to the park late and then you don't have to "lug" it around. Stay as late as you can. Suggestion maybe send Wife and kids back to the room if you really want those pictures.
Haha! I am the wife!!
And yes, my husband will be left with 4 kiddos while I go shooting. A lot. :-)

Last edited by Tigerlulu; 01-16-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
njtree
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlulu View Post
Haha! I am the wife!!
And yes, my husband will be left with 4 kiddos while I go shooting. A lot. :-)
my bad....
njtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
WillowBelle
DIS Veteran

One trip I lugged all of my equipment with me in the parks. It was just my DDs & myself (so no DH muscle). I rented a single stroller & just pushed my stuff. Got a lot of weird looks, but my body thanked me. My tripod weighs 8lb. add the weight of my bag and after a long, hot, July day, my body is typically screaming. It was also nice because no one had to carry their extras. The stroller did all the work.
WillowBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
famousmockingbird
Mouseketeer

I was wondering about tripods. I have a travel tripod I plan on throwing in, just in case. We will be taking afternoon breaks and coming back at night, so I can totally carry it with me then. I know i won't be the only one. I'm cracking up over the "Photopass" comment!
famousmockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: