Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #46
K80K
DIS Veteran

Hope Gretchen had a wonderful race! Really wish I could have made it out for Tink but the timing between Marathon and Princess just wasn't good. After I move to FL it should be more within reach.

I made plans to get my long run in with my good friends this weekend. Having people waiting for you is always great motivation to get you out there. I finished a really strong 8 miles. I have been trying out a different interval to see what it does to my times. I used to do a 2:1 and now I am doing a 1:1. I really like the appeal of not having to try to figure out if I am in a run or a walk when I come out of potty break or water stop. This was my first long training run doing the 1:1 and I was only about 15 seconds per mile slower than my 2:1 but I also felt like we took some of the middle miles slower than I normally would. I am hoping this change in intervals will finally get my half marathon times back under 3 hours.
~*Katie*~Half Fanatic #156
Up Next! ~ 9/29 Tower of Terror 10 Miler ~ 10/13 Baltimore Half ~
~*Race Results*~*Race Schedule*~
<3 Disney Fairytale Wedding <3 10/2012 <3
Cruises ~ Disney Dream 2/2011&11/2011 ~ Disney Fantasy 11/2012 ~
K80K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:10 AM   #47
K80K
DIS Veteran

Checking in with 5 miles done this morning. I am still experimenting with the 1:1. Thus far my runs have been about average paced, but very consistent, so this morning I decided to push the runs to the edge of what is comfortable. Was able to knock an additional 20 or so seconds off per mile. I am going to stick this interval through Princess and see how it feels.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #48
grstink
Mouseketeer

Thanks Mike and Katie for thinking of me. And, yes, it was a GREAT race . My daughter and I had such a wonderful experience and I made my best time ever! (her time is always better but she stays with me for our race together ) Loved touring Disneyland and want to go back already. Well, daughter is egging me on for Wine and Dine for the C2C. Looks like that is our next race. Will get some pics up shortly but right now I have to unpack and get back to reality.

Gretchen
grstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #49
Suzann
“I am odd-looking. I sometimes think I look like a funny Muppet.”

Way to have an awesome race Gretchen!

So my knee surgery went well and I'm back into full workout mode again. I just started a P90X/Insanity hybrid that is a bit of strength training with cardio. Loving it so far but I'm only in the middle of week one out of 12 weeks. Ha.

April ~ Purple 5k = 25 min
May 6 ~ Bloomsday 12k = 1 hour 11 min
May 19 ~ Race for the Cure 5k = 29 min
June 2 ~ Lewis & Clark 10k = 1 hour
June 23 ~ Beartooth Run 5k (at 10,000 ft!) = 33 min
July 8 ~ Missoula Half Marathon

Suzann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #50
K80K
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great race Gretchen! Congrats to you and your daughter. I was going to say, "I will be down there for Wine&Dine!", but in reality I will be living there for Wine&Dine. So hope to see you there!

Congrats on your full return to training Suzann!
Old 02-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #51
grstink
Mouseketeer

Gretchen
Old 02-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #52
Suzann
“I am odd-looking. I sometimes think I look like a funny Muppet.”

Great picture!!! So jealous )

April ~ Purple 5k = 25 min
May 6 ~ Bloomsday 12k = 1 hour 11 min
May 19 ~ Race for the Cure 5k = 29 min
June 2 ~ Lewis & Clark 10k = 1 hour
June 23 ~ Beartooth Run 5k (at 10,000 ft!) = 33 min
July 8 ~ Missoula Half Marathon

Suzann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #53
MikeofRose&Mike
Mouseketeer

Gretchen I'm so glad you had a good time at Tink and a PR to boot. Still not sure if we are making W&D now that the date moved. We are taking my son and a bunch of his friends to Disney to drink around the world for his 21st birthday. It's during their fall break in late October. We still may make it since we are 2 for 2 right now.

Katie Princess numbers are up. I am 4675 which I am guessing is "C". DW is in the 1800s, not sure if that will be an "A" or a "B". If it's an "A" I may never catch her. I'm glad 1:1 is working for you.

Suzanne Good luck with the P90X, I've heard great things.

MikeofRose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #54
K80K
DIS Veteran

Gretchen: Adorable picture!

Mike: Definitely sounds like C. I know that the bib numbers for men start from C like they did at Tink. My Princess Bib is 7472, so I am thinking I am in D. Hoping rather. I fear the crowds if I am back any further and them preventing me from getting the sub 3 hour half I am hoping for.

I went out this weekend to do my 10 miler. I wanted one really good quality one before Princess and I know I have two in the training plan so I decided to go for it this weekend and spend the next one more relaxed. I went out with my 1:1 and I knew if I wanted to do sub-3 that I should aim for a 10 miler of 2:15-2:20 so I had the coushin I needed to hit the 3 mark. I started out running with my training partner who was only doing about 7 miles, so I left her about 6.3 ish and started pushing my pace. I was doing really good and then I got stuck at a traffic light. I was there for at least a minute. As soon as it turned I took off and kept pushing through my 1:1. I sprinted toward the 10 mile mark and hit the stop. 2:16. I figure without the stop at the light I would have been right at 2:15. Very very excited to see what I can do at my upcoming halves.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #55
grstink
Mouseketeer

Suzann - Glad you're back in workout mode. My daughter is doing the P90X/Insanity and she really likes it. Hopefully you will too.
Mike - Good luck to you and your wife in the Princess. I'm sure you both will have a great race. Hope you make it to W&D as well.
Katie - Great runs. I admire your abilities. I just feel great when I can finish in a somewhat reasonable time. I bet you are looking forward to your move and upcoming wedding. My daughter was married at Disney and it was wonderful.
AFM - Only took one day of actual rest and then got back to my workouts and walking. Can't let myself get stiff or lose momentum. Really excited to try for that C2C.

Gretchen
Old 02-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #56
mandac
Mouseketeer

Katie: It does look like we will be going to WDW in January. 3:30 AM sounds super early, especially when you consider that would be 1:30 my time. Why even go to bed?!?!?
How do you find people to run with? I know a few that run, but they are WAY faster than I am. Usually my only running buddy is my music and my Garmin.
Mike: Congrats on getting the runs in. It is fun to hit that last long run before a big race.
Gretchen: Glad you had a good time at Tink. I was in CA this weekend and there were still people walking around in race shirts. It sounds like it was a great time. I am glad you enjoyed Disneyland also. Love the picture!
Suzann: Sounds like you are working harder on your knee than I do on mine! Good job on finishing the first weeks. Those are the hardest for me.
AFM: I finished the Surf City half marathon on Sunday. It was a great day to run! Unfortunatly I am not used to great days, so I got heated up a little too much and I think that slowed me down. I did run for most of the race, except the water stops and some steep hills. I finished in 2:35. That is about 10 minutes slower than I did DL last year, but I trained much more faithfully for that one (because it was summer! I am not good at training in the winter). But it was over 10 minutes faster than I did the same race last year and I felt soooo much better after the race this year than I did last year. I think it was about 67 at the end of the race. It started about 8:30 for me, because they start the full at 6:30 and the half at 7:45 and have waves. So I didn’t finish until around 11:00. I like to think that if it had been cooler I could have improved my time more, but it was still fun. The best thing I saw was a guy running the race while balancing a melon on his head. I passed him about mile 5 and he was still going strong. Wonder if he made it?
I did reach my 50 miles for the month, barely. My husband had to push me to get on the treadmill on the 30th to get the last 3 in. But I am glad I made it. I need to keep it up and not slack off now that my race is over. Hoping to get on after work today to get my legs back moving after Sunday.

mandac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #57
K80K
DIS Veteran

Manda: If it makes you feel any better I have to get up at 2 AM to get to the race since I stay off property. I got lucky and was able to find my running buddies through online communities like WISH (more specifically DR originally and now ROTE). It is just luck I think that there are so many of us in Balto/DC area that run at a similar pace. We found an area central to us all, BWI, and meet there on weekends to run the 10.6 mile loop that circles the airport.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #58
dreams91
DIS Cast Member
Loves to veg out in front of the TV on QVC scrap days!

Great pic!

I've been good about getting 3 miles in three times per week. I haven't had the energy to step up to cross training yet....was interviewing for a different job (didn't get it), dh changed positions at his job, and I'm volunteering preparing taxes. A tad stressed lately!

dreams91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #59
K80K
DIS Veteran

Hang in there Cheri. Sounds like you are being consistent with your runs which is AWESOME given everything on your plate. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #60
Haas4Concern
Mouseketeer

Whats up everyone,
I'm just checking in. Ive kept the running going. Unfortunately I had to take a week off of lifting and heavy bag work (hopefully just a week). I flew down to Tampa for the weekend to help a friend lay tile and it seems I developed tennis elbow or something from spreading the thin-set. Since i havent been lifting this week, I backed off the high protein diet and now I'm hungry all the time. I cant wait to get back to eating five or six times a day.

Anyway, I ordered my two pairs of running shoes and they came yesterday. Im excited to get some outside runs in with them. The max I can run is 3 miles on a treadmill because of pure boredom.

Seems like everyone else is doing well with the running.

Mike: Thanks for the runners world article. I'm going to work some of those exercises into my routine.

Oh, here are my new shoes

2007 WDW 1/2 Marathon, 2012 WDW Marathon Relay, 2012 Inaugural Canton 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Ohio 2 Warrior Dash, 2012 Air Force Half Marathon, 2012 Wine & Dine, 2013 Goofy Challenge,Dumbo Double Dare 2013,Dopey Challenge 2014
Haas4Concern is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: