Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
MikeofRose&Mike
Mouseketeer

Hi Jen Welcome back. If you let me know what half you are running I will add it to the calendar.

Same goes for anyone else with races planned.

Hopefully G&GMom and K80K had good races today.

Next Disney event is the Tink. Go Gretchen!

MikeofRose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #17
K80K
DIS Veteran

Welcome Cherie! Love seeing your bridal pic in your siggie. I am REALLY hoping to get a MK bridal shoot, but they won't let me schedule it till 45 days out since I am using an outside photographer for my wedding day. Fingers crossed.

Jen: Sounds like you have some great goals to get you started again.

Well I survived my double half marathon. I tried not to push it too hard during the half on Saturday knowing I had the race on Sunday. The crowded course certainly helped slow me down as well. I honestly don't remember the half marathon course ever being this crowded and it is always crowded. Sundaay my finacee and I were passing my friend Kim as the baton since he and I were doing the relay and she was doing her first full as a part of her first Goofy. It was so much fun running with her and I am so proud of her accomplishment. Next year I am going back for the marathon so I can get that 20th anniversary bling. The relay really was done well. Only hiccup was the volunteer gave away my bib to someone else. That person ran with it, so I had my bib plus their bib posting to my FB wall and I don't show up in the final results of the relay. I sent a message off to track shack so hopefully I will hear back soon. Unfortunately the rumors are that the race won't be back again next year.
~*Katie*~Half Fanatic #156
Up Next! ~ 9/29 Tower of Terror 10 Miler ~ 10/13 Baltimore Half ~
~*Race Results*~*Race Schedule*~
<3 Disney Fairytale Wedding <3 10/2012 <3
Cruises ~ Disney Dream 2/2011&11/2011 ~ Disney Fantasy 11/2012 ~
K80K is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #18
mandac
Mouseketeer

Cherie: Welcome to the group and Congrats on finishing the half! I will probably do the Disneyland Half again this year – so maybe I will see you there.

Jen: Welcome back. For me to get a 31 minute 5K is always a struggle. I am not gifted with speed. But I know what you mean about running making you happy. I often wonder why something that can put me in such a good mood is so hard to do! I know I will feel better after, but I just never want to go through the hassle of changing clothes and starting. Something I need to work on. I think I will have to borrow some inspiration from you. I like the idea of a happy running year. That sounds like a good goal!

Katie: First off – Congrats on your upcoming wedding! Second – Congrats on the double half! Too bad they won’t do it again. It seems like a good idea. Sounds like you had a good time and that is what really matters. But you know that because, as I remember, you were one of the more serious runners in our group. Lots of half marathons for you! Hopefully you can share your expertise with some of us that are a little more novice. So glad you had a good time!

Well I am excited about our group this year. I think we already have almost as many posts as we did last year. Hopefully we can keep it up! I am sure it will keep me inspired to work hard. I may be revising my goal to be 50 miles a month instead of 60 (in fact, I think I meant 50 the whole time – 60 is just too much!). So far I am looking at about 13 done. Still a long way to go and about a third of the month is gone. I did an 8 miler on Saturday, but due to a morning snow storm I did it on the treadmill. I am super slow on the TM. I find if I set a slow pace then I can just run without looking at the display the whole time. If I push it too much I can’t stop staring, so it was only 5.2mph for my 8 miles, but I was pretty excited that I could even get that many in. I find that I struggle for the first 3 miles no matter what. Once I get past that I can just keep going. My treadmill only goes for 99 minutes and then you have to start over, so I just stopped when I got there (including the warm up). I have been watching Masterpiece Classics – Downton Abbey while I run. It has done a good job of keeping my interest.
Have a great week Rebels!

mandac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #19
dreams91
DIS Cast Member
Loves to veg out in front of the TV on QVC scrap days!

Katie, Congrats on the upcoming wedding! The mk photo shoot was a wonderful experience. I hope you will be able to get it! I did min the day after my wedding.

dreams91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #20
K80K
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for the wedding congrats I am really excited. Steve and I met through running at Disney. Actually we met at a DisnegRunning meet up at the start line of the Tower or Terror race. We planned our wedding for the 4 year anniversary of that day and are having a marathon theme.

I need to try to think about my running goal for this year. My race count will be down because I am moving to FL in June. I do however want to do Mickeyin 2013. My first mission will be to put together my training plan through June as I do have one half per month through May.

Manda- Your goal of 50 per month sounds great. I agree that it seems like the team is off to a strong start and hopefully we can keep up this momentum. Go team!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #21
MikeofRose&Mike
Mouseketeer

Katie Congratulations on your wedding plans. I have to admit that I completely missed it in your signature. Nice job with the back to back halfs. Good luck with the full next year. We have a whole year to talk Manda in to coming.

Manda Sounds like a good plan to hit 50 miles a month. A couple of 3 mile weekday runs, and then a longer one on the weekend. You can do it.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #22
K80K
DIS Veteran

Oh Manda....:D
Old 01-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #23
mandac
Mouseketeer

Katie: Sounds like you have a busy spring. I have trouble finding races I want to do in the winter/early spring. Not much going on local and I am running out of Money to do all the destination races. That is the only thing really holding me back from committing to WDW 2013. I just don't know if I will have the cash. I want to do it soon though, because I really want a C2C. The trouble is if I do WDW next year I will still have to do the DL one that fall. Too bad they don't count it as a 12 month year instead of a calendar year. I love all the racing I have been doing, but I didn't count on it being quite as expensive of a hobby as it has been. (and neither did my husband. He would like to go on a vacation that doesn't include a race)

I was able to get 3 1/2 miles in on Tuesday. Didn't get any last night because I got home from work with a killer migrain. I get those way too often, but try to work around them. I crashed for a nap and then had to go to some meetings and then the night was over. Plan is to hit the TM as soon as I get home tonight and get some miles on the books. So I am at 16.5/50 for the month. I have some catching up to do!

I did get a new pair of shoes and wanted to ask some of you how often you rotat shoes. I know that the guy at the running store would have me changing shoes 4 times a year, and I can't afford that. I think I ran this last pair to death, because it has been almost a year since I bought some. What do you guys really do? I may need to switch my budget around and get shoes more often because it feels really good to run in the new ones!

Have a Great Thursday everyone!

mandac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #24
jenanderson
DIS Veteran

Mike - Thanks for the warm welcome back. The only race that I am sure of right now is March 17th. I will be running the Get Lucky 1/2 Marathon in Minneapolis. We will have to decide our other races soon.

Katie - I can't wait to read about your Disney wedding plans! My DD dreams of getting married there one day (she is only 15 right now ) Sounds like you enjoyed running the two half marathons - that is really cool! My goal is to do the Goofy in 2014.

Manda - I like that you have set a monthly goal. I think I need to do that. New shoes are a struggle for me as well. I buy 2-3 pairs a year. Last year I only used 2 pair and my 2nd pair were totally dead by the time I bought my new ones. I never thought that running would be expensive but by the time I add up the shoes, the entry fees, the traveling, the special foods, the clothing, etc...it has become a very expensive hobby. I have to work at cutting back on other things (like using many coupons when shopping) so that I can afford this habit!

I have not run much this week. We had a lot of stress in the family with a sick cat and I love to make excuses right now not to run. Tomorrow I am going to run no matter what. My bigger goal is to go for a longer run (5-6 miles) on Saturday. I am going to focus on the distance and not the speed because that is where I am really struggling. I also want to plot out my training plan to be sure that we are ready for the 1/2 in March as well as consider if we can be ready for a full marathon in June. So much to do and so little time!
jenanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #25
K80K
DIS Veteran

Manda-I change ky shoes after about 300 miles. I use runningahead.com to track the mileage and some pairs I will swap earlydepending on howmy knees feel in a given pair. I usually have 3 pairs in rotation at any given time which can help them last longer. As a pair gets higher in mileage they will be switched to crushed stone trail and treadmill only.

Fueling up formyrun now. Wentout of 3.55 miles on Wed and today Jam thinking 4.5.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #26
dreams91
DIS Cast Member
Loves to veg out in front of the TV on QVC scrap days!

I am officially signed up for the DL half!

dreams91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #27
MikeofRose&Mike
Mouseketeer

Manda - We are in about the same place, I get about 5 months (350 - 400) miles per pair of shoes, but the note in my running log each time says "too many miles". 300 is probably more correct.

Jen - I saw the website for the Get Lucky. I think a 7k and Tripple 7k is funny/cool.

I'm getting ready for a long run tomorrow. I slacked off this week and haven't gone since Monday. Got cold (20s) and I'm a wimp, so there are a couple of hours on a treadmill looking at me tomorrow.

If anyone has a race they want on the calendar, just let me know what it is.

Mike

Old 01-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #28
jenanderson
DIS Veteran

Mike - Thanks for putting the Get Lucky on the calendar! We have done the 7K for the past 2 years and it has been a really fun race. This year we decided to go with the 1/2 marathon and are going to hope that the weather is not too bad. In Minnesota, mid-March is prime blizzard weather! The first year we ran it, it was COLD. Last year it was pretty mild and great running weather. We will hope for something similar to that!

Katie - Are all your shoes the same? How do you keep track what pair has what miles on it?

Cherie - That is exciting that you signed up for the DL half! When is it? Will you now qualify for a coast2coast medal? BTW...I love the photo in your signature!

I am kind of sad that the weekend for the Tink is coming up. I registered for it but plans changed and so I won't be going. I will be thinking of all the WISH friends I know who will be running it though.

On a positive note...I signed up for one more race tonight. DH and I will be running Grandma's Marathon (Duluth, MN) on June 16th. We are debating running the Minneapolis Half Marathon on June 3rd but will wait on that one just a bit.

This week we actually have run 3 times so far. Tonight it was cold (16° with blowing winds and snow) so we had to bundle up with several layers for our 3 mile run. It actually was a bit of a good run for me. We slowed our pace down and at each mile, we walked for 1 minute. While DH wants to be improving our pace, I want to be sure that I train better this time and don't end up running in so much pain. My shin splints are always a problem and I am planning on doing some special exercises to help with that every day until my legs feel stronger again.

We are planning on getting up early tomorrow and doing 5.5 miles. Tomorrow I will probably do a bit of weight lifting as well. We are scheduled to rest on Sunday but I will probably do something like a slow walk to get my exercising in since I am trying to lose 20 pounds right now.

Hope everyone else is having a great week.
Jen
jenanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #29
K80K
DIS Veteran

Jen-My shoes are all the same model. Sometimes they are different colors or modal numbers which makes them easier to track. If I do have two pairs of the same model and color going I will take a sharpie and make a small.letter on the inside of the heals. That also helps keep track of which oeft shoe goes to which right shoe. Do.not mark the tongues on the inside as even sharpies will bleed onto.your socks.

I am in Disney for one more weekend celebrating my future step sons birthday so no long run for.me this weekend. Back to.it after I fly home Sunday.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #30
MikeofRose&Mike
Mouseketeer

Katie Have a safer flight back tomorrow.

Jen I can't believe you want to run a half in Minnesota in March, and that you ran outside at 16F. might be a better smiley. I was on the treadmill today.

Cherrie Good luck at the Disneyland half. I keep meaning to do it. Maybe in 13 for a C2C.

I did my first official marathon training run. 17 miles on the treadmill, because I am a wimp and do not run in the snow. I am planning on running the Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon at the end of April. I have done that half a couple of times, but this will be my first full since 1984. I called it the first marathon training run, because until then I was just way ahead on my half training.

Mike

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: