Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #1276
liesbeth1012
Mouseketeer

Must do in Barcelona is
Sagrada Familia. Get your ticket before, than you don't have to stand in line.
Parc Guell also from Gaudi.
Casa Batlo or Casa Mila also Gaudi.
Up to the Montjuich with cable car.
I loved the magical fountains. They played a lot of songs of Disney.
And so much more.

Coming
WBTA 2014 Disney Magic 9/6-9/20 2014
EBTA 2015 Disney Magic 5/19-5/30 2015 (+WDW before)
WBTA 2015 Disney Magic 9/19 - 9/30 2015
Last
Disney Cruise Bahamas 9/22-9/26 2013 Disney Dream+Walt Disney World 9/26-10/9 2013 Port Orleans Riverside
Disneyland Paris 12/30 2012 - 01/02/2013 Hotel New York
Hawaicruise 14-28 oct 2012 Disney Wonder+Los Angeles 10/6-10/9 2012+Disneyland10/9-10/14 2012
Disney Cruise Transatlantic Barcelona-Port Canaveral 10/9-24/9 2011 Disney Magic+Walt Disney World 24/9-2/10 2011 Caribbean Beach Resort
Disneyland Paris more than 10 times from 1994
liesbeth1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #1277
babydiver
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMe View Post
The shopping area and hard rock were about 2-3 blocks away. We walked down to the big department store building not far from the hard rock. There's a supermarket in the basement where you can buy your alcohol.
Good morning all.
Corte Ingles is the department store with the food hall in the basement. Hard Rock Cafe across the road. This is the area where you can get the Hop on/off buses The Placa Catalunya.
We bought our wine in the food hall for the hotel and the trip. Red wine boxes 99c Euro for 1 litre and it was excellent drinking. There was cheaper at 79c but we thought we would try the more expensive LOL

7 nights Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2007 - 7 nights Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 2009 - 3 nights Disney Wonder Bahamas 2009 - 7 nights Disney Wonder Alaska 2011 - 14 nights Disney Magic WBTA 2011 - 7 night Disney Wonder Pacific 2012 (Gold at last!) - 7 night Disney Fantasy EC Jan 2013 - 12 nights Disney Magic Barcelona to Venice June 2014 - 14 nights Disney Magic WBTA Sept 2014 B2B 7 nights Disney Magic Southern Caribbean Sept 2014 -
14 nights Panama Canal May 2015 (Platinum at last) - 11 night Disney Magic WBTA Sept 2015.
babydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #1278
birkner
DIS Veteran

Had to move one of my "dummy" reservations from a previous cruise today. John and I may take the June 15, 2013 Med cruise if the WBTA doesn't materialize soon!

Anybody else thinking of the same cruise?
Old 05-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #1279
Skylarr29
Oh Darn it, I was 'forced' to buy that plane
It feels like I have a sumo wrestler in there!

I think we will stay at an apartment hotel since there will be 5 of us.

Skylarr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #1280
JessicasMom
Working to Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarr29 View Post
I think we will stay at an apartment hotel since there will be 5 of us.
We were also a party of five, but most of the apts. (not all) required a three-night stay, with an addt'l cleaning fee. We finally just booked two hotel rooms, which was less expensive (and included breakfast). I will definitely try again to find a reasonable apt., since it would be more spacious, but I struck out last year.
JessicasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:57 AM   #1281
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Good Morning, Happy Cruiser Wannabes!

CORTE INGLES! Mecca! We finished every single day there, having tea in the 9th floor restaurant. AND they have fitters for 'boulder holders' that sold me the best ones I've ever had. AND bags oh my the BAGS. A whole art supply section. LOVED IT.

There is a little wine shop across the street from the hotel we stayed - the last morning, we were over there before she opened to get provisions for the cruise. I'm not a wine drinker (or a drinker at all, really) but was tempted into trying the local CAVA. Oh, my. I bought a bottle and wish I'd bought 6!

Happy Day, all!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #1282
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

It took me awhile to figure out what "boulder holders" might be...but I think I've got it now!

It's been fun researching and passed some time as the weather has been so yucky here in Central Florida thanks to Beryl. I should not complain though as we desperately needed the rain.

LindaBabe, thanks for the tip on pre-ordering tickets for Sagrada Familiar. Saw a couple of places to order. Viator Tours with a tour guide - but it appear one can order directly and get an audio guide (headphones?) for far less money AND a bit more time.

And of course one must do tapas, right?

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas
ThePhantomsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #1283
youalleverybody
Rather be Soarin'

Any suggestions for a party of seven? We have five kids. We usually just get two hotel rooms, but I've read that some hotel rooms only hold two people! I'll have to find one that sleeps three and four.

WDW 2008, 2010 and 2012
February 2012 Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean
October 2012 Disney Dream Bahamas
February 2013 Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas
youalleverybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #1284
annichan
There's a platypus controlling me, he's underneath the table

Quote:
Originally Posted by liesbeth1012 View Post
Must do in Barcelona is
Sagrada Familia. Get your ticket before, than you don't have to stand in line.
Parc Guell also from Gaudi.
Casa Batlo or Casa Mila also Gaudi.
Up to the Montjuich with cable car.
I loved the magical fountains. They played a lot of songs of Disney.
And so much more.
Also the Gothic Quarter (Carrer Gotic) off Las Ramblas, just go for a walk in the narrow streets and soak up the atmosphere, we loved it!

2005: It all started with DLP Disneyland Paris (3 nights) / 2009: Honeymoon at Wilderness Lodge (15 nights)
2010: Magic Western Caribbean, then BCV (11 nights) / 2011: Magic Mediterranean Cruise (Magic, 11 nights)
2011: Our return to Disneyland Resort Paris (4 nights) / August 2012: NYC to Castaway Cay and Canada (B2B, Magic, 13 nights)
2013: Westbound Panama Canal Cruise (Wonder, 14 nights) + 3 days at Disneyland / 2014: Westbound Transatlantic and Southern Caribbean (B2B, Magic, 21 nights)

annichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #1285
birkner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomsGirl View Post
It took me awhile to figure out what "boulder holders" might be...but I think I've got it now!

It's been fun researching and passed some time as the weather has been so yucky here in Central Florida thanks to Beryl. I should not complain though as we desperately needed the rain.

LindaBabe, thanks for the tip on pre-ordering tickets for Sagrada Familiar. Saw a couple of places to order. Viator Tours with a tour guide - but it appear one can order directly and get an audio guide (headphones?) for far less money AND a bit more time.

And of course one must do tapas, right?
Here is some advice I passed on to others after I started researching the options in Barcelona since John and I were spending more than a week in Barcelona each time.

Barcelona (http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/)

If you are going to visit the museums on their list, I suggest you pre-buy the Barcelona Card to get the museum discounts.
http://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelon...f=02&aid=g1758

In Barcelona, we used Pepito Tours (http://www.pepitotours.com/) to do a two tours, one of Monseratt and one of Girona and the Dali Museum on sequential days with several other DiSers. Both those tours are more appropriate for adults.

We also used Spain Day tours (http://spaindaytours.com/flamenco-barcelona.html) to book a Flamenco Dinner show.

I would suggest you use the hop on hop off buses to see some of the sights which we did one day. We used the Viator site (http://www.viator.com/Barcelona-tour...204&aid=m10341) where we pre-purchased our tickets. We printed out the vouchers at home and exchanged them for the actual tickets at the Barcelona airport. Check out the Viator site for lots of information.

On the bus, we visited places like the Sagrada Familia, the Barcelona Cathedral and Museum (http://www.sacred-destinations.com/s...thedral-la-seu) (http://www.sagradafamilia.cat/sf-eng/index.php)the Park Guell, (http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...di-park-guell/)

We opted for guided tours everywhere we went and had paid online for the extra tours.

John and I also walked to the Picasso Museum (http://w3.bcn.es/V66/Home/V66XMLHome...7303_3,00.html) from our hotel.

At the end of La Rambla, we visited the Maritime Museum (http://www.mmb.cat/?idApartado=97).

Though we did not make it there, there is a chocolate museum (http://pastisseria.cat/en/PortadaMuseu) in Barcelona.

Also, a friend of our did a cooking class (http://www.cookandtaste.net/) and made gazpacho, omelette, paella, and crema catalonian.

Of course, you will want to see the Fountains of Monjuic (http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...s-montjuic/)if you have time in the evening. Be sure to check website for times and schedule

We ate our anniversary dinner at Aqua (outside on the beach). I recommend it highly and the cost was not prohibitive. I made reservations online for 9:30 PM. Be aware most Barcelona restaurants open quite late.

Our favorite tapas bar was off La Ramblas called Taverna Basca Irati at Cardenal Casanas 17 which you pay one price as each tapa has a toothpick inside and they charge by the number of toothpicks you eat. Also we tried several of these tapas bars from the UK Site

Some of our friends took the train to and did some wine tasting. They took a regional train for just a few euros from Passeig de Gràcia or Sants to Sant Sadurni d'Anoia (about 1 hour trip, many trains per day, can't book in advance). Just across the station you have the Freixenet cava winery. Then, take a taxi (or walk about 20-25 minutes) to Codorniu cava winery. This is not only a great cava producer, the cellars are an Art-Noveau marvel.

Then, you may take the train to Vilafranca del Pendés (next town, 5-10 minutes ride). The medieval town center is nice and you can find many places to eat for a reasonable price. After lunch, you can visit the Wine Museum, or take a taxi to Torres (one of the biggest quality wine producer not only in Spain but internationally). Torres produce a wide range of wines and they offer short tasting courses so it may be something to investigate.

Another couple did the Viator Wine and Cava tour.

Last but not least, here are two websites which give lots of info on kid friendly type activities like the Aquarium, Zoo etc.
Kids in Barcelona (http://www.oh-barcelona.com/en/blog/...children-12660)
Kids in Barcelona2 (http://www.kidsinbarcelona.com/content/view/43/95/)
Old 05-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #1286
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Oh wow - thank you, thank you, thank you for this post!!!

I already know I HAVE to see the Flamenco show! I am definitely going to work to come to Barcelona many days early!!

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas

Last edited by ThePhantomsGirl; 05-30-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #1287
birkner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomsGirl View Post
Oh wow - thank you, thank you, thank you for this post!!!

I already know I know HAVE seen the Flamenco show! I am definitely going to work to come to Barcelona many days early!!
The flamenco dinner show we did in Barcelona was fabulous. I may still have some pics on FB.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #1288
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by youalleverybody View Post
Any suggestions for a party of seven? We have five kids. We usually just get two hotel rooms, but I've read that some hotel rooms only hold two people! I'll have to find one that sleeps three and four.
GOOD LUCK! My experience trying to find one that slept 3 has shown you're probably going to need it.

Noel, WHAT a fabulous list!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #1289
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youalleverybody View Post

This link might help: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...barcelona.html Family Friendly Hotels

Old 05-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #1290
Skylarr29
Oh Darn it, I was 'forced' to buy that plane
It feels like I have a sumo wrestler in there!

For those of you needing rooms for larger families I will find the hotel I was looking at, I must not have saved it. I found it on trip advisor while going through 100's of hotels to find something that would fit all of us. It was an apartment style hotel with 1, 2, and 3 bedroom apartments but you booked like a hotel and there is a lobby etc. from what I understand.

Skylarr29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: