Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #1261
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

I loved my low budget hotel in Barcelona - Hotel ParaLel on Avinda Parallel, just down from one of the highly rated Tapas bars Quimet. We ate our tapas across the street, however, in a place that has CHAIRS. There's also a conveniently located coffee bar, wine shop, and fruit stand, and a full on grocery shop up the street. Free internet in the lobby. If we get back to Barca, I'm staying there again.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #1262
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
I loved my low budget hotel in Barcelona - Hotel ParaLel on Avinda Parallel, just down from one of the highly rated Tapas bars Quimet.
Wow, just looked that up on Trip Advisor and a darned decent find! I could stay three days for less than I thought I'd pay for ONE night. Will definitely keep this in mind.

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas
ThePhantomsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #1263
Dizneyholic
WBTA Bound 2014

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomsGirl View Post
Welcome!

I'm glad to see we are getting new people who are interested. We were losing quite a few (and may well still do so in the scope of things).

I'm not going to make any more predictions on when I think they will announce this or not, as I swear DCL is purposely laughing at me personally.

I'll just keep busy researching "maybe" stuff. Barcelona Hotels, sights I must see, etc.

For those who have gone before, how many days early did you go? Do you wish you had done differently?
We flew in the Tuesday before and spent 4 nights in Barcelona at the Hotel Praktik on the Ramblas. There were quite a few other Diser's there as well and it was fun running into each other. We spent those days touring the city on the hop on/hop off buses. Loved it!
http://m.hotelpraktikrambla.com/
The one thing I would do differently is...not get so sick that I end up with Whooping Cough for 2 months. My 2 trips to the hospital at 3am in a foreign country were not on the "fun plan". Lol. I soooo need a do over!
June '88 - WDW Offsite * Feb '01 - Port Orleans FQ * Oct '03 - Allstar Sports * Sept '04 - Allstar Movies * Sept '05 - Pop Century * May '06 - OKW Grand Villa * Dec '06 - OKW Villa * Jan '08 - AK Villa * May '09 - Boardwalk Villa & Western Caribbean DCL * Nov '09 - BLT Villa & GC Villa * Sept '10 - WBTA DCL & SSR * April '11 - Mexican Riviera DCL * Oct '11 - Aulani Villa * May '12 - EC Fantasy, DCL * May '14 - SD to Vancouver, DCL * Sept '14 - WBTA DCL

U2 LOVER!!!

Dizneyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #1264
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneyholic View Post
We flew in the Tuesday before and spent 4 nights in Barcelona at the Hotel Praktik on the Ramblas. There were quite a few other Diser's there as well and it was fun running into each other. We spent those days touring the city on the hop on/hop off buses. Loved it!
http://m.hotelpraktikrambla.com/
The one thing I would do differently is...not get so sick that I end up with Whooping Cough for 2 months. My 2 trips to the hospital at 3am in a foreign country were not on the "fun plan". Lol. I soooo need a do over!
I stayed at the Hotel Praktik in 2010. Such a beautiful boutique hotel. I had a single room which was small but very comfortable and clean. And the bathroom/shower was awesome! We also had alot of fellow cruisers and ended up having a bus for all of us going.
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #1265
Dizneyholic
WBTA Bound 2014

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMe View Post
I stayed at the Hotel Praktik in 2010. Such a beautiful boutique hotel. I had a single room which was small but very comfortable and clean. And the bathroom/shower was awesome! We also had alot of fellow cruisers and ended up having a bus for all of us going.
We also loved the bathrooms. We were there the same trip as you but didn't get to ride the bus since I had to go to the hospital before boarding. I would definitely book there again!
June '88 - WDW Offsite * Feb '01 - Port Orleans FQ * Oct '03 - Allstar Sports * Sept '04 - Allstar Movies * Sept '05 - Pop Century * May '06 - OKW Grand Villa * Dec '06 - OKW Villa * Jan '08 - AK Villa * May '09 - Boardwalk Villa & Western Caribbean DCL * Nov '09 - BLT Villa & GC Villa * Sept '10 - WBTA DCL & SSR * April '11 - Mexican Riviera DCL * Oct '11 - Aulani Villa * May '12 - EC Fantasy, DCL * May '14 - SD to Vancouver, DCL * Sept '14 - WBTA DCL

U2 LOVER!!!

Old 05-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #1266
JessicasMom
Working to Travel

Quote:
Welcome!

I'm glad to see we are getting new people who are interested. We were losing quite a few (and may well still do so in the scope of things).

I'm not going to make any more predictions on when I think they will announce this or not, as I swear DCL is purposely laughing at me personally.

I'll just keep busy researching "maybe" stuff. Barcelona Hotels, sights I must see, etc.

For those who have gone before, how many days early did you go? Do you wish you had done differently?
Our first time, we were on the EBTA and had a full day in BCN the day before debarkation, so we were able to do a city tour (hop-on, hop-off bus) and return to the ship before the cruise officially ended (and we flew home) the next day. That was great! For the WBTA last year, we stayed at a little hotel right on La Rambla; great location, but you had to go up a flight of stairs to the reception desk (and take the elevator from there). Not a great idea for five people with luggage and Grandma! We spent two nights there, which was a decent amt. of time, but I would love to see more. We did the HOHO bus again, since only DH and I had been there before; I definitely recommend it as a way to see a lot in a short amt. of time, and you can hit the main tourist spots easily. The one thing I wouldn't do again is fly through London (Heathrow)...a less-than-ideal airport to begin with, but then they lost (held hostage ) some of our luggage, which wasn't returned until Madeira. I'm sure they thought the bags of my 71-yr old mother and dev. disabled niece were quite threatening!
JessicasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #1267
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneyholic View Post
We flew in the Tuesday before and spent 4 nights in Barcelona at the Hotel Praktik on the Ramblas. There were quite a few other Diser's there as well and it was fun running into each other.
Ooooh, another good find! With those prices I could afford to go up to three days early and see sights. After all, if I am going to fly that far, might as well see the area where we start from. Again, of course guessing it would be Barcelona.

It would be nice to have some other DIS'ers around. I also am sort of hoping at least one other solo might be around for touring, as being solo on a ship is far different than being completely solo in a foreign city. I don't think I'd let it stop me if no one was, as I would just be careful of where I went, and what I take with me either way. (pickpockets, etc.)

Disneyholic, you've also reminded me to make sure I get travel insurance with the medical insurance being the primary, although I'm sure it's still wise to have some funds available on a credit card just in case.

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas
Old 05-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #1268
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member

Quote:
Ooooh, another good find! With those prices I could afford to go up to three days early and see sights. After all, if I am going to fly that far, might as well see the area where we start from. Again, of course guessing it would be Barcelona.

It would be nice to have some other DIS'ers around. I also am sort of hoping at least one other solo might be around for touring, as being solo on a ship is far different than being completely solo in a foreign city. I don't think I'd let it stop me if no one was, as I would just be careful of where I went, and what I take with me either way. (pickpockets, etc.)

Disneyholic, you've also reminded me to make sure I get travel insurance with the medical insurance being the primary, although I'm sure it's still wise to have some funds available on a credit card just in case.
If this cruise ever comes through, I know of at least one single woman who will be on it.

Trip insurance takes time to come through if one needs to collect on it, so it really behooves one to be able to 'front' the expenses.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #1269
Dizneyholic
WBTA Bound 2014

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:

I think we paid $500 US for 4 nights so it was a great deal compared to the hotels Disney was offering!

Luckily my work insurance covered all medical expenses overseas but I'm not sure what I would have done had I needed to fly back early or miss the cruise! I think I will be adding it on this time for sure! You just never know!

Chasity

U2 LOVER!!!

Old 05-28-2012, 05:58 AM   #1270
babydiver
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Welcome!

For those who have gone before, how many days early did you go? We arrived on the Thursday just to make sure we were in plenty of time should there be delays with the plane. so we had one and half days but had been there before. I would definitely recommend the hop on hop off bus as it takes you to all the major sights. Do you wish you had done differently?

We stayed at the Hotel Atlantis which is just off Las Ramblas - turn left at the top onto the Carrer De Pelai. Ideal for most walking sights too and catching the hop on/off bus in the Placa de Catalunya. The Hard Rock Cafe is nearby too if there should be another pre cruise get together. And we stocked up on our 99c per litre boxes of red wine in the nearby supermarket

7 nights Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2007 - 7 nights Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 2009 - 3 nights Disney Wonder Bahamas 2009 - 7 nights Disney Wonder Alaska 2011 - 14 nights Disney Magic WBTA 2011 - 7 night Disney Wonder Pacific 2012 (Gold at last!) - 7 night Disney Fantasy EC Jan 2013 - 12 nights Disney Magic Barcelona to Venice June 2014 - 14 nights Disney Magic WBTA Sept 2014 B2B 7 nights Disney Magic Southern Caribbean Sept 2014 -
14 nights Panama Canal May 2015 (Platinum at last) - 11 night Disney Magic WBTA Sept 2015.
babydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #1271
sssteele
DIS Veteran

Lots of cruisers like Hotel Continental Baracelona on Las Ramblas and the sister hotel-Hotel Continental Palacete. All rooms at the Continental and a few at the Palacete are booked by folks traveling on our next cruise out of there. Not as highly rated as some others, and all the rooms are decorated in pink, but all the people I've "talked" with really love the location. They also include a mini buffet that is available all day, and fridges in the rooms, and they encourage you to help yourself, and pack little picnics to enjoy during your stay.

They will also help work out transfer to the port, and there is a wine shop VERY close by.

DH and I are looking forward to our stay there prior to our 1st TA.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #1272
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

For those who stayed at Hotel Praktik, do you recall if there was a wine shop nearby? How about a department store or place where one could buy last minute items?

I think I like the looks, description, and price of that hotel!

I'd like to grab one or two bottles of wine as I love sitting out on my veranda in the evening with a glass before retiring. Not that I've ever finished any bottle of wine I bring, but I always mean to.

Did anyone go to The Magic Fountains? What would you consider MUST SEE places?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm place-sitting for someone, and there isn't much to do, so researching for this "possible" cruise is a past time for me right now.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #1273
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member

We were originally booked at either the Continental or the Praktik (can't remember which) but their rooms couldn't accommodate 3, so when we added the third girl, we had to move.

Magic Fountains is 2 blocks up from where we stayed, near Placa d'Espana, but we never made it. Definitely on my list for next year, along with the Miro museum, the picasso museum AND the inside of Segrada Familia. I *WILL* have my tickets in hand for that one. (preorder)
Old 05-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #1274
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

The shopping area and hard rock were about 2-3 blocks away. We walked down to the big department store building not far from the hard rock. There's a supermarket in the basement where you can buy your alcohol.
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #1275
birkner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMe View Post
The shopping area and hard rock were about 2-3 blocks away. We walked down to the big department store building not far from the hard rock. There's a supermarket in the basement where you can buy your alcohol.
The department/grocery store I think you are referring to is called El Corte Ingles. We have stopped there both times for various sundry items as well as well as wine etc.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: