Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #1246
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMe View Post
They could have three ships in the caribbean with the Dream doing the 3/4 day cruises to Nassau, the Fantasy doing 7 day eastern/western and the Magic possibly doing like 10 day cruises to the southern Caribbean which is an itinerary a lot of people would like to see.
Actually that is a good, and totally viable option when I think about it. There are so many people griping about the same old tired itineraries that adding the southern Caribbean does make sense. They could still house all three at PC, and stick in an 11 day one here and there to make sure they wouldn't have two at the same time.

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas; 9/6/14 Disney Magic WBTA
ThePhantomsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #1247
babydiver
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
We just got off the Wonder's Hawaii cruise. It was a good cruise. Our captain was Captain Fabian. He was recently promoted from staff captain to overall captain. Recently he was on the Magic for a short time and before that in Germany working with the shipmakers on the Fantasy. He seemed to be willing to talk about future plans more so then others. One of our fellow DISboard cruisers has posted the following:

"Juicy" Rumors:

Okay, as with all rumors, we tend to take these with a grain of salt. The information came from multiple and from independent sources, so they struck a cord of genuineness with us. Suffice it to say that these were not communicated by the equivalent of a WDW "bus driver" :

1. The Magic and the Wonder are going in for extensive (six or more weeks) dry docks in 2013 and 2014 respectively. All of the restaurants and lounges on each ship will be gutted and rethemed. All public areas are being replaced. Although it will be impossible to duplicate all of what exists on the Dream and Fantasy, there will be a theme of consistency among all of the ships. Animator's Palate on both the Magic and Wonder will be reworked into the new version of the Dream and Fantasy.

I think this would be a shame if they are making all the ships the same inside. I like the idea of having slightly different restaurant themes as it give you something to look forward to when sailing on a different ship

2. Engineers are working very hard to add the Outlook Bar to the Magic, but because of the way it was built (apparently structurally different than the Wonder) it has so far been impossible to design and implement. If it can be done (a big if), it will be added in the next dry dock.

We loved the Outlook Bar on the Wonder but I hear that the Magic was built in two halves and welding together (a simplified version of the build, I am sure it was more complicated than that) but if they can't do it then they can't.

3. A new, permanent female manager is being hired for Palo on the Wonder. A new hire from another cruise line, she will replace the temporary, rotational manager system currently being used. (As an aside, Roy was our Palo manager and, even though he was temporary, he did a great job. Very professional.)

4. DCL has already signed the options to build two new ships with the same German shipyard, even though there are denials to the contrary. DCL liked the efficiency and timeliness of the building of the Dream and the Fantasy. No public announcement will be made for some time, but the new ships will be smaller than the Dream and Fantasy, closer to the Wonder and Magic-sized ships (in the 90,000 to 95,000 ton range).

Yeh...love the idea of two more ships of the smaller size. The Magic and Wonder are ideal sizes for a comfortable cruising life.

Captain Fabian, during his talk, mentioned that the life of the Magic and Wonder will likely be between 30 and 35 years, which is actually about ten years longer than most ships. He attributes this longevity to the amount of constant maintenance that is ongoing. Although we experienced some hiccups, let's hope it was the exception and not the rule.

With more ships maybe they are thinking they could sail the Asia Route....after all Disney has theme parks over that way and the Japanese and Australians would love to use DCL

7 nights Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2007 - 7 nights Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 2009 - 3 nights Disney Wonder Bahamas 2009 - 7 nights Disney Wonder Alaska 2011 - 14 nights Disney Magic WBTA 2011 - 7 night Disney Wonder Pacific 2012 (Gold at last!) - 7 night Disney Fantasy EC Jan 2013 - 12 nights Disney Magic Barcelona to Venice June 2014 - 14 nights Disney Magic WBTA Sept 2014 B2B 7 nights Disney Magic Southern Caribbean Sept 2014 -
14 nights Panama Canal May 2015 (Platinum at last) - 11 night Disney Magic WBTA Sept 2015.
babydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #1248
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

I think it'll be awhile before they add two new ships as the cruise industry as a whole is hurting right now. But as with all things it will improve. I am thrilled that if/when they do two new ships they'll be smaller than the Fantasy and the Dream. Makes for a much nicer cruise in my mind with less people. That is a personal preference however.

I'm hoping all the recent changes to OBC/CC Club stuff is over and is why they have waited so long to announce. Wouldn't it be wonderful to wake up tomorrow and find that it's "the announcement day"? Yeah, I know, I'm dreaming. But I sort of have had that date in mind as I know they are releasing some ABD info then.

If not, I'll just wait as there is nothing else I can do. Either way, if it's not then, they WILL have to announce it at least before a year out. So at worst, we have five more months of wondering. At best, shorter.

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas; 9/6/14 Disney Magic WBTA
Old 05-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #1249
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

I can certainly see why they might need to go ahead and buy the option now as Meyer Werft is extremely busy building cruise ships for other lines, and Disney probably wanted to get in line for the next couple of new builds behind RCCL's Project Sunshine ships. Based on what has been made public about Meyer Werft's current build book, the absolute earliest Disney could get another ship from them would be early 2016. Construction would start late 2014, this certainly gives them a few years to gauge the industry, and see if they can proceed or bump down a slot or two.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #1250
PhilippeP
Earning My Ears

I'm keeping an eye on the WBTA 2013 Cruise since I disembarked the Dream one year ago ...
So far , you can count me in !! (riding solo)
Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #1251
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeP View Post
I'm keeping an eye on the WBTA 2013 Cruise since I disembarked the Dream one year ago ...
So far , you can count me in !! (riding solo)
Welcome!

I'm the one who never shuts up on here!

I'm trying real hard to be patient and wait, but since I like posting on the DIS, and in my mind this is my next cruise, (even though I had left and booked something else), this poor thread gets stuck with me.

I think we have a few solos who are also interested. (me, as one of them)

Old 05-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #1252
Dizneyholic
WBTA Bound 2014

I'm on the Fantasy right now (currently sitting in sunny St Maarten!) and from what I've heard around the ship, the Magic will do the EBTA over to Europe and stay there to do the Med and then drydock in Italy from Oct - Dec. I've heard this from 2 different people at the future cruise sales desk and several servers who came over from the Magic starting this cruise BUT was also told that things are constantly changing so who knows!

Btw, the rumor is Johnny Depp is on our cruise!! All the servers and bartenders are talking about it! Apparently, he's catching a ride to spend the day at Castaway Cay! I doubt there will be any sightings but imagine how cool that would be if he came out as Jack Sparrow tonight for Pirate Night and everybody was like, wow, you look just like him!
June '88 - WDW Offsite * Feb '01 - Port Orleans FQ * Oct '03 - Allstar Sports * Sept '04 - Allstar Movies * Sept '05 - Pop Century * May '06 - OKW Grand Villa * Dec '06 - OKW Villa * Jan '08 - AK Villa * May '09 - Boardwalk Villa & Western Caribbean DCL * Nov '09 - BLT Villa & GC Villa * Sept '10 - WBTA DCL & SSR * April '11 - Mexican Riviera DCL * Oct '11 - Aulani Villa * May '12 - EC Fantasy, DCL * May '14 - SD to Vancouver, DCL * Sept '14 - WBTA DCL

U2 LOVER!!!

Dizneyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #1253
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Johnny has gone to WDW and done Jack Sparrow before without them telling anyone. People who had seen "that" Jack Sparrow were amazed at how close of a match he was!

Of course that will never be proved, although most CM's I worked with at the time had heard it to be true. (I did not personally see him)

I can see them doing a slightly later WBTA, but as there are no sailings right now after what...late August into September....I suspect we'll see it'd be before December? Of course as with all things, it's still rumors and speculation, and we are just going round and round....

Old 05-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #1254
disdel
Ears? Anyone remember the GEnie boards?

OK, ABD info is out, but STILL no DCL updates
MAGIC Western Caribbean 10/06/07 WONDER 11/06/08MAGIC Transatlantic 4/10-24, 2010 WONDER in Alaska 6/28/11 DREAM 11/10/11 MAGIC in NYC 6/15/12 FANTASY New Year's Eve 12/28/13 DREAM 1/12/14 MAGIC WBTA 9/6/14 WONDER 10/01/14 - Completing 4 ships in 1 year

and waaaay too many visits to WDW to list (including midnight for the "millenium" - Y2K, bah), but never enough
disdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #1255
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

I was so disappointed yesterday and today. Darn, it's beginning to look like those reports of the fall (anywhere from August to October) for the announcements are going to be what it is.

Not much we can do but wait....and hope.

Last edited by ThePhantomsGirl; 05-23-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #1256
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

subbing
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #1257
Skylarr29
Oh Darn it, I was 'forced' to buy that plane
It feels like I have a sumo wrestler in there!

Count us in! We honeymooned on the Magic and will be celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary during this cruise!! Perfect timing. It will be myself Melissa, DH Robert, and 2 of our kids age 4 and 3 at the time.

Skylarr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #1258
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarr29 View Post
Count us in!
Welcome!

I'm glad to see we are getting new people who are interested. We were losing quite a few (and may well still do so in the scope of things).

I'm not going to make any more predictions on when I think they will announce this or not, as I swear DCL is purposely laughing at me personally.

I'll just keep busy researching "maybe" stuff. Barcelona Hotels, sights I must see, etc.

For those who have gone before, how many days early did you go? Do you wish you had done differently?

Old 05-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #1259
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomsGirl View Post
Welcome!

I'm glad to see we are getting new people who are interested. We were losing quite a few (and may well still do so in the scope of things).

I'm not going to make any more predictions on when I think they will announce this or not, as I swear DCL is purposely laughing at me personally.

I'll just keep busy researching "maybe" stuff. Barcelona Hotels, sights I must see, etc.

For those who have gone before, how many days early did you go? Do you wish you had done differently?
In 2010 we left the states Thursday night and arrived Friday morning. If I have the time (and $), I will try to leave at least one day earlier. We got to see the Los Ramblas area for shopping and then the pre-meet at the Hard Rock. By that time we were exhausted and slept to be fresh to head to the Magic.

I think one extra day would allow me to see just a bit more of the city.
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #1260
Skylarr29
Oh Darn it, I was 'forced' to buy that plane
It feels like I have a sumo wrestler in there!

We haven't done one before but our plans are to spend 5 days in London prior to flying into Barcelona. From London we will take a day trip to Paris (DH and I got engaged at the Eiffel Tower) and a day trip to Salisbury to see Stonehenge. Then we will spend 1 night/2 days in Barcelona.

Skylarr29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: