Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #1231
Dizneyholic
WBTA Bound 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by we're aliens View Post
Hi Chas. Enjoy your Fantasy... How was Coldplay???
Yes we are still waiting to get going
We'll be in Pittsburgh next week checking out the Pirates while you are dressing up like pirates!?!?!..
We may be in Vegas in September, but will keep you posted, maybe a mini-meet???
Love to you both.

Jane & Dave
Hi Guys!!!

We leave on Friday for the Fantasy, can't wait!! We"ll have to Skype when we all get back from our trips!!
As far as Vegas, any idea on dates so we can pencil it in?

I'm soooo glad you guys are in for this cruise! Now, they just have to actually have it! Miss ya!
June '88 - WDW Offsite * Feb '01 - Port Orleans FQ * Oct '03 - Allstar Sports * Sept '04 - Allstar Movies * Sept '05 - Pop Century * May '06 - OKW Grand Villa * Dec '06 - OKW Villa * Jan '08 - AK Villa * May '09 - Boardwalk Villa & Western Caribbean DCL * Nov '09 - BLT Villa & GC Villa * Sept '10 - WBTA DCL & SSR * April '11 - Mexican Riviera DCL * Oct '11 - Aulani Villa * May '12 - EC Fantasy, DCL * May '14 - SD to Vancouver, DCL * Sept '14 - WBTA DCL

U2 LOVER!!!

Dizneyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #1232
tojam
Tojam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaRG View Post
Good to know. Another cruiseline to recommend?
We have had good luck on Royal Carribean but you have to watch both the ship and ports. We try to avoid tenders as ports seem to get cancelled more frequently due to swells and waves.

My wife and I were talking about it and honestly we would like to try Princess but for us and our family we are not sure any other line can even begin to compare. But, we have done almost all TA's and the thought of 4-6 days just isn't that exciting.

We are really keeping our fingers crossed for a WBTA in 2013

NCL Dawn - Repositioning Apr 2014
NCL Getaway - Caribbean Mar 2014
RC Enchantment - Bahamas Feb 2014
Carnival Breeze - Southern Caribbean Jan 2014
Disney Fantasy - Caribbean 2013
RC Oasis of the Seas 2013
Carnival Glory - Caribbean December 2011
Dis Magic- Westbound Transatlantic-September 2011
NCL Jewel - Eastbound Transatlantic - May 2009
Dis Magic - Westbound Transatlantic - August 2007
RC Slendor - Bahamas - February 2007
tojam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #1233
JustAnnieNotHazel
Are we there yet?

We are off on our first Royal Caribbean cruise on Friday, 5 nights in med. can't wait, hoping we like as much as dcl!!
JustAnnieNotHazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #1234
*Flower*
Needs to Win the Lottery!!

Be sure and let us know how you liked it!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #1235
jns
Tries hard to get the jelly off Jaffa Cakes without breaking it!!!!

Would love to do this cruise too
2007 Animal Kingdom , Disney Magic , Saratoga Springs,NYC
2008 DLRP Santa Fa , Beachclub Villas, Wilderness Lodge ,Disney Magic and New York

2009 BayLake Towers, Beachclub Villas and Disney Wonder 2011 Disney Magic, Mediterranean Cruise, Old Key West2012 Los Vegas, Grand Calf and San Fran 2013 Disney fantasy , Wilderness Lodge and Vero Beach

We now know the secert too!! Trip report 2006 Trip Report 2008 WDW / DCL
jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #1236
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jns View Post
Would love to do this cruise too
If they would only just announce it!

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas; 9/6/14 Disney Magic WBTA
ThePhantomsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #1237
sssteele
DIS Veteran

still love Disney, but...

DH and I travel without children, and even though Disney is our 1st love, we have decided we can get a lot more for our money elsewhere.

Still booked for the Fantasy in October (our 5th Disney) with friends, and we are looking forward to that. We've done Royal Carribbean (Venice to Barcelona), and 5 Princess cruises.

Gave up on this, and booked on the new Royal Princess for the maiden WBTA.

I'm sure we'll sail with Disney again, but it may be quite a while off.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #1238
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

I am sorry we are losing people! But I do feel some of the recent changes ARE making other lines more apples to apples in doing comparisons.

I still am highly likely to book THIS WBTA if they actually have it. However, I am actually starting to think in the future I will venture outside of DCL.

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas; 9/6/14 Disney Magic WBTA
Old 05-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #1239
valbob89
DIS Veteran

We just got off the Wonder's Hawaii cruise. It was a good cruise. Our captain was Captain Fabian. He was recently promoted from staff captain to overall captain. Recently he was on the Magic for a short time and before that in Germany working with the shipmakers on the Fantasy. He seemed to be willing to talk about future plans more so then others. One of our fellow DISboard cruisers has posted the following:

"Juicy" Rumors:

Okay, as with all rumors, we tend to take these with a grain of salt. The information came from multiple and from independent sources, so they struck a cord of genuineness with us. Suffice it to say that these were not communicated by the equivalent of a WDW "bus driver" :

1. The Magic and the Wonder are going in for extensive (six or more weeks) dry docks in 2013 and 2014 respectively. All of the restaurants and lounges on each ship will be gutted and rethemed. All public areas are being replaced. Although it will be impossible to duplicate all of what exists on the Dream and Fantasy, there will be a theme of consistency among all of the ships. Animator's Palate on both the Magic and Wonder will be reworked into the new version of the Dream and Fantasy.

2. Engineers are working very hard to add the Outlook Bar to the Magic, but because of the way it was built (apparently structurally different than the Wonder) it has so far been impossible to design and implement. If it can be done (a big if), it will be added in the next dry dock.

3. A new, permanent female manager is being hired for Palo on the Wonder. A new hire from another cruise line, she will replace the temporary, rotational manager system currently being used. (As an aside, Roy was our Palo manager and, even though he was temporary, he did a great job. Very professional.)

4. DCL has already signed the options to build two new ships with the same German shipyard, even though there are denials to the contrary. DCL liked the efficiency and timeliness of the building of the Dream and the Fantasy. No public announcement will be made for some time, but the new ships will be smaller than the Dream and Fantasy, closer to the Wonder and Magic-sized ships (in the 90,000 to 95,000 ton range).

Captain Fabian, during his talk, mentioned that the life of the Magic and Wonder will likely be between 30 and 35 years, which is actually about ten years longer than most ships. He attributes this longevity to the amount of constant maintenance that is ongoing. Although we experienced some hiccups, let's hope it was the exception and not the rule.
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #1240
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

I take it that no real talk about what the itineraries will be and when they'll be announced?

I think it makes sense for them to do a massive overhaul during the drydocks so they can get many more years out of the Wonder and the Magic.

How was Hawaii?!!

Old 05-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #1241
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

I agree with Val's post!
AND - I like Captain Fabian very much.

Let's try this unhappy thought on for size. SINCE they're doing SUCH an extensive dry dock, on the Magic next year, what if the work isn't complete by the time the ship leaves drydock? What if they bring her home sans passengers, with workers still completing the work started in drydock?

Hawaii was wonderful. The sea days and Ensenada? Not so much.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #1242
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
Let's try this unhappy thought on for size. SINCE they're doing SUCH an extensive dry dock, on the Magic next year, what if the work isn't complete by the time the ship leaves drydock? What if they bring her home sans passengers, with workers still completing the work started in drydock?
I don't think so, as they would rather have SOME money, rather than NO money. What could happen, if they are indeed bringing the Magic back is:

1. Have it be a really long drydock and come back later, say November or December.

2. Keep the dates they have, as between DCL and the shipyard, they SHOULD have a fair estimate of the time needed. They are both businesses.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #1243
womanredress
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post

1. The Magic and the Wonder are going in for extensive (six or more weeks) dry docks in 2013 and 2014 respectively. All of the restaurants and lounges on each ship will be gutted and rethemed. All public areas are being replaced. Although it will be impossible to duplicate all of what exists on the Dream and Fantasy, there will be a theme of consistency among all of the ships. Animator's Palate on both the Magic and Wonder will be reworked into the new version of the Dream and Fantasy.

2. Engineers are working very hard to add the Outlook Bar to the Magic, but because of the way it was built (apparently structurally different than the Wonder) it has so far been impossible to design and implement. If it can be done (a big if), it will be added in the next dry dock.

4. DCL has already signed the options to build two new ships with the same German shipyard, even though there are denials to the contrary. DCL liked the efficiency and timeliness of the building of the Dream and the Fantasy. No public announcement will be made for some time, but the new ships will be smaller than the Dream and Fantasy, closer to the Wonder and Magic-sized ships (in the 90,000 to 95,000 ton range).
These are some particularly interesting tidbits!

I'm glad to see that DCL will be looking at smaller ships for their next two. I'm a little bit intimidated by the size and number of people on the Dream and Fantasy. I like the intimacy of the Magic and Wonder, and a smaller ship certainly makes it easier for my grandma to get around!

I hope that even with a long term dry dock, they will still do the WBTA. I hope I hope I hope!

Thanks for all this info, Val! And I hope your Hawaii cruise was amazing!

Aug 23rd 2011 Alaskan Cruise on the Disney Wonder

June 1st 2008 Mexican Riviera Cruise on the Disney Magic
womanredress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #1244
Piggeldy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to spend a week longer in dry dock and then make money by taking passengers on the trip back instead of completing work on the way? If you noticed you were missing 1000 square feet of carpet (or 500 screws or 20 gallons of paint) in the middle of the Atlantic... probably a lot worse than noticing while still being in dry dock in Italy. How much work can you really complete on a moving ship? With maybe bad weather in October/November? Maybe smaller works like they would do on a regular trip but likely nothing major especially nothing that needed larger machinery?

I am worried much more that they don't want three ships in the Caribbean and move the Magic from Europe to Asia/Australia. Keep the Dream and the Fantasy in the Carribean, the Wonder on the west coast and move the Magic to "where ever".
I don't think they could make money by keeping the Magic in the Med in winter. The weather in the Med is not as stable as it is in the Caribbean. The Baltic/Scandinavia are probably out of the question in fall/winter due to storms. Cruising is not yet a huge market in Europe. Growing yes, but not quite there yet. The Germans have "their" Aida, then there is Costa, MSC... many (less expensive) options and in many European countries the Disney brand might not have the same pull it has in the US. Especially as many people don't even know DCL exists and very few brick and mortar travel agents sell DCL cruises - at least here in Germany and I assume this is similar in many other countries. I found it a lot easier to book our Hurtigruten cruise than getting info on DCL (beyond the internet that is).
Piggeldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #1245
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

They could have three ships in the caribbean with the Dream doing the 3/4 day cruises to Nassau, the Fantasy doing 7 day eastern/western and the Magic possibly doing like 10day cruises to the southern Caribbean which is an itinerary a lot of people would like to see.
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: