Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #886
annichan
There's a platypus controlling me, he's underneath the table

WBTA disembarkation port?

I hope you will all forgive me for not having read all pages of this thread yet, so this may have been discussed before, but ...

... Are there any guesses as to what will probably be the final port of the WBTA? Port Canaveral? Miami? Somewhere entirely different?

I'm asking because I'm trying to wrap my mind around those flight prices and finding it really weird. I mean, obviously a one-way flight is incredibly expensive and the more affordable way to go is to book an open-jaw flight.
(Is that truly what they are called, btw? It's what my online translator tells me to use - the German term literally translated would be "forked flight").

So, just as an example since obviously we don't know the real places and dates, and I can't find flights more than a year out anyway:
I was looking at an open-jaw flight going first from Germany to Venice, then from the States back to Germany.
These are two prices I was quoted:

1) Germany-Venice, then Orlando-Germany: $ 2300.00 per person

2) Germany-Venice, then Miami-Germany: $ 550.00 per person

I wonder what makes Orlando five times as expensive as Miami? I certainly don't see this effect when looking at normal return flights from these destinations!

The notorious over-planner in me, of course, leaps right into action and sees some intriguing possibilities here:
WBTA to Port Canaveral, couple of days at WDW, drive down (or take shuttle) to Miami, few days sightseeing there, fly back home ... Sounds perfect!

2005: It all started with DLP Disneyland Paris (3 nights) / 2009: Honeymoon at Wilderness Lodge (15 nights)
2010: Magic Western Caribbean, then BCV (11 nights) / 2011: Magic Mediterranean Cruise (Magic, 11 nights)
2011: Our return to Disneyland Resort Paris (4 nights) / August 2012: NYC to Castaway Cay and Canada (B2B, Magic, 13 nights)
2013: Westbound Panama Canal Cruise (Wonder, 14 nights) + 3 days at Disneyland / 2014: Westbound Transatlantic and Southern Caribbean (B2B, Magic, 21 nights)

annichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #887
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

This is something DH and definitely want to do. Meriweather has always talked so highly about the one she did. I can't wait until it is official and we can book it!

PS. We are Bobbi and Tom
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #888
Piggeldy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by annichan View Post
So, if the WBTA really does happen (which it must eventually, mustn't it?) ...

And if the timing is right so we both get time off work ...

And if it is roughly in the same price range as the EBTA ...
Is that a German thing? Here is one more with a lot of "ifs"...

If it happes (yes, I also assume it will)
If we can both get time off (which shouldn't be a problem)
If we like the itinerary (which means if it is somewhat similar to the last WBTA)
If the price is somewhat similar to the EBTA
If nothing happens
...then I think we will be joining y'all on the WBTA

MoinMoin (or should I stick to saying Hi?) one more newbie. I just registered because of the WBTA! Call me Piggeldy (which isn't my real name but DH isn't to fond of doing real names on discussion boards), I am a full-time foreign language secretary/part-time Ph.D. student/part-time bookseller in my early 30s with a love for ships though we haven't cruised much, yet. DH and I have done a yearly mini cruise to Norway since we met and spent our honeymoon on Hurtigruten's Trollfjord in December 2008.

We had planned to do the WBTA on the Carnival Breeze this year but due to a little health scare, an unplanned move last summer, a broken down car and a bunch of other little things... that won't happen. Thus it's on the agenda for next year! We might still go for Carnival. If they do a northern itinerery on their WB (always wanted to go to Iceland!) for a reasonable price. Which I doubt.

Quote:
I was looking at an open-jaw flight going first from Germany to Venice, then from the States back to Germany.
These are two prices I was quoted:

1) Germany-Venice, then Orlando-Germany: $ 2300.00 per person

2) Germany-Venice, then Miami-Germany: $ 550.00 per person
Don't look at open-jaw flights!
Check one-way flights on Air Berlin! You can currently book a flight from Miami to Germany for about 350 Euros for October 2012 (Orlando or Houston are only slightly more expensive - around 400 Euros). And flying one-way to Venice or Barcelona is always inexpensive if you book early enough with one of the low-cost airlines.

Quote:
WBTA to Port Canaveral, couple of days at WDW, drive down (or take shuttle) to Miami, few days sightseeing there, fly back home ... Sounds perfect!
As I am also a notorious over-planer (and known to my friends as the most passionate worrier on this planet, possibly in the universe ) that is exactly what we are thinking of doing at the moment. My birthday is on Halloween and if the dates people are assuming are true, we might add a couple of days in Florida to spend it there and fly back on 1 November.
Piggeldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #889
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggeldy View Post
My birthday is on Halloween and if the dates people are assuming are true, we might add a couple of days in Florida to spend it there and fly back on 1 November.
AND do Mickey's not so Scarey Halloween party to Celebrate!

Boo to You! and You! And YOU!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #890
annichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggeldy View Post
MoinMoin (or should I stick to saying Hi?) one more newbie. I just registered because of the WBTA!

Don't look at open-jaw flights!
Check one-way flights on Air Berlin! You can currently book a flight from Miami to Germany for about 350 Euros for October 2012 (Orlando or Houston are only slightly more expensive - around 400 Euros). And flying one-way to Venice or Barcelona is always inexpensive if you book early enough with one of the low-cost airlines.
Hi, nice to see another German on board! When I read your "Moinmoin" greeting I first thought you must be another Northerner but your coordinates say otherwise

Anyway Piggeldy, you have just seriously made my day with your suggestion about flights.
I can't believe I never checked with Air Berlin before, but that sounds just perfect. (Though weirdly enough, the open-jaw to Venice and back to Miami is STILL slightly cheaper than adding those two one-ways, but for Orlando the one-ways are pretty much a steal!)

And about driving down to Miami and spending a couple of days there prior to flying home again: Anything to extend our vacation for a couple of days is a good thing!

2005: It all started with DLP Disneyland Paris (3 nights) / 2009: Honeymoon at Wilderness Lodge (15 nights)
2010: Magic Western Caribbean, then BCV (11 nights) / 2011: Magic Mediterranean Cruise (Magic, 11 nights)
2011: Our return to Disneyland Resort Paris (4 nights) / August 2012: NYC to Castaway Cay and Canada (B2B, Magic, 13 nights)
2013: Westbound Panama Canal Cruise (Wonder, 14 nights) + 3 days at Disneyland / 2014: Westbound Transatlantic and Southern Caribbean (B2B, Magic, 21 nights)

Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #891
annichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post

Boo to You! and You! And YOU!
You know, after we went to that party it seriously took me days to get THAT song out of my head.

Now you have just put it back in there. Thanks.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #892
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi David,

thank you for the welcome, of course I remember you! In fact, when I looked at the preliminary roll call for this WBTA, I saw your name and thought "Cool, there's someone that I sort of know already!"

So sorry to hear about your kitty, I know how horrible it is to lose a beloved pet. I can only hope that our three will stay with us and healthy for many years to come!

(Except I wish they would stop sitting in front of the screen and blocking my view of what I'm writing already, like the red one's doing right now! )

Anyway, if we indeed get to go on this cruise, I'm looking forward to meeting you in person. By the way, the cruise you cancelled would have been the October 2010 Western Caribbean we went on!
And you're certainly right about it being a "small word after all" ... on our last cruise, we made friends with a very nice Canadian family only because she recognized me from the pictures in my dining reports, and started talking to me. Love the DIS!
It sure was nice to see another name I remembered from a previous cruise. The October 2010 Western Caribbean cruise............yes that is it. That was driving me crazy, that I could not remember what cruise we were suppose to be on with you and your DH. Getting older sure plays games with your memory!!! Now, what were we talking about........................??? The Disney DIS is one wonderful big community of some of the nicest people I have ever met. DW and I are looking forward to meeting you and your DH as well Annichan. Like meeting old friends you haven't seen for a long time.

I know what you mean about your kitties standing in front of the screen when you are trying to type. Ours do the exact same thing. They also like to try and get the cursor on the screen. We have one of those touch screen computers and everytime they touch it, it either jumps down the page or the page on the screen zooms in to about 400%!!!

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are
GOLD Now - Our 6th Disney Cruise - 14 Day Cruise - Panama Canal Crossing - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014

davidls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #893
Piggeldy
Earning My Ears

Thank you all for your warm welcome

Quote:
Hi, nice to see another German on board! When I read your "Moinmoin" greeting I first thought you must be another Northerner but your coordinates say otherwise
I actually am
From the heart of East Frisia. Born and raised. Which makes me a real Fischkopp. [Plus Westphalians actually do consider themselves Northerners - which I of course object to.]
Piggeldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #894
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

Sorry this is totally not WBtA related...

To all my soon to be fellow Floridans: Where is a good place to find a relatively inexpensive dresser/bedroom set, kitchen tables, etc?

We are set to move in two weeks and I have decided to not take some of our furniture with. I don't want to buy anything expensive yet as we are staying in a rental home for a year to get the lay of the land and don't want to buy something that I am going to have to replace because it doesn't fit/look right.

So any good stores in the Orlando area (besides Ashley's, etc) to find something of decent quality, but not super expensive.

Thanks!

and Disney if you are reading this... any word at all on the WTBA would greatly help relieve some stress in my life.
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #895
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonduck View Post

To all my soon to be fellow Floridans: Where is a good place to find a relatively inexpensive dresser/bedroom set, kitchen tables, etc?

We are set to move in two weeks and I have decided to not take some of our furniture with. I don't want to buy anything expensive yet as we are staying in a rental home for a year to get the lay of the land and don't want to buy something that I am going to have to replace because it doesn't fit/look right.

So any good stores in the Orlando area (besides Ashley's, etc) to find something of decent quality, but not super expensive.

Thanks!

and Disney if you are reading this... any word at all on the WTBA would greatly help relieve some stress in my life.
You might try Kanes Furniture and also Rooms To Go Furniture. Both have nice furniture and not overly expensive. Both have a nice variety of different sizes and prices.

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are
GOLD Now - Our 6th Disney Cruise - 14 Day Cruise - Panama Canal Crossing - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014

Old 02-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #896
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidls View Post
You might try Kanes Furniture and also Rooms To Go Furniture. Both have nice furniture and not overly expensive. Both have a nice variety of different sizes and prices.
Awesome, I'll start by looking at these stores! I appreciate the help!
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #897
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomsGirl View Post
David,

I think I'll just leave most of my recent cruise to the posts I've already written about what went wrong. I just now know that a 3 day doesn't work for me overall.
Holly, sounds like overall your cruise was a good one. I do agree with you about the 3 day cruises though. DW and I went on one back in 2008 on the Wonder. Now we loved the ship but the 3 days were not enough. Just way to short. So when we went on the Dream last September we kept that in mind and did a back2back cruise on the Dream. We had a great time doing the back2back. So when we go back on the Dream it will be another back2back or back2back2back or...............well you get the picture!!!

We Are

Old 02-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #898
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonduck View Post

Thanks!

Another vote for Rooms to Go here! Good luck!
Old 02-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #899
surf2di4
Earning My Ears 1 post at a time!!!

Quote:
I hope you will all forgive me for not having read all pages of this thread yet, so this may have been discussed before, but ...

... Are there any guesses as to what will probably be the final port of the WBTA? Port Canaveral? Miami? Somewhere entirely different?

well it probably won't be Miami, or PC since the EBTA is leaving from Galveston, TX. odds are high that is where it will return to. the Wonder is doing Miami in the winter for the foreseeable future. and there isn't room at PC for a 3rd ship.

Also add us we are LEFTCOASTLADY and Surf2di4

ROBIN & KARL
Old 02-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #900
DisneyDream2B
Mouseketeer

Hoping to join you...

We are hoping to book the WBTA, when the dates are released.
Have a dummy booking ready to transfer...
DisneyDream2B is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: