Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #751
fly4free2
Dis Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteele View Post
11 more days until I turn 62! Social security - whoohoo! Lots more cruising for wifey and me. She's already collecting. (Cradle robber)
Sam
Sam, I tease a lot, but retirement is FANTASTIC Some days I feel 95 then some days I feel 45 Which is the new 30 SOOOOO all that said, I get to travel more, meet more DISers and enjoy life. So go out there and enjoy

6/1/2014 Disney Dream, New Transformed Disney Magic Nov. 1/2013, 2011 WBTA Disney Magic Disney Magic Nov 2011,Western Caribbean 7 nt. Holland American Panama Canal Nov. 2011 10 other crusies--WDW/ 140 times . AKV Jambo House Savannah View// 24 hours with Mickey Leap Day 2/29/12 Contemporary Resort Castle View / Beach Club Resort// AKV Kidani Village Savannah View /Grand Floridian /Wilderness Lodge Villa's /Pop Century

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to Dance In The Rain"
fly4free2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #752
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidls View Post
[B][COLOR="Red"]I think I have all you youngn's beat!!! I remember watching Milton Berle's variety show on TV - Good ol' Uncle Milttie. Do you remember the Jack Benny Variety show on TV - how about the Phil Silvers show.
Heck my feet are not only wrinkled but they are blue as well!!! You guys ain't old - old is just a state of mind. My DW says I have a mind of a 2 year old. Not sure what she means by that!!!
Heck - I remember all those! Really remarkable since I was just a baby

Seriously, I do remember these things which I guess puts me officially in the old geezer category. And if things work out, I'll be taking my Mom on this cruise so what comes after old geezer???
Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #753
fly4free2
Dis Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
YOU CAN TEXT ON A PHONE NOW!!! When did this come about??? These modern contraptions are amazing!!!

I think I have all you youngn's beat!!! I remember watching Milton Berle's variety show on TV - Good ol' Uncle Milttie. Do you remember the Jack Benny Variety show on TV - how about the Phil Silvers show.
Heck my feet are not only wrinkled but they are blue as well!!! You guys ain't old - old is just a state of mind. My DW says I have a mind of a 2 year old. Not sure what she means by that!!!

The home computer is still waiting for his new part!!! Then I have to get all of the programs from the old hard drive over to the new one. This week-end I am going to be a busy little bee!!!
I remember ALL of these, tell your DW, it helps to think like a 2 year old, we get more out of life.

6/1/2014 Disney Dream, New Transformed Disney Magic Nov. 1/2013, 2011 WBTA Disney Magic Disney Magic Nov 2011,Western Caribbean 7 nt. Holland American Panama Canal Nov. 2011 10 other crusies--WDW/ 140 times . AKV Jambo House Savannah View// 24 hours with Mickey Leap Day 2/29/12 Contemporary Resort Castle View / Beach Club Resort// AKV Kidani Village Savannah View /Grand Floridian /Wilderness Lodge Villa's /Pop Century

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to Dance In The Rain"
Old 01-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #754
magic123
Mouseketeer

Quote:
11 more days until I turn 62! Social security - whoohoo! Lots more cruising for wifey and me. She's already collecting. (Cradle robber)
Sam

Well sam, that's cool... Many Happy Returns for 11 days time in case I'm otherwise engaged. So do you get the keys to the Magic then

Quote:
YOU CAN TEXT ON A PHONE NOW!!! When did this come about??? These modern contraptions are amazing!!!

I think I have all you youngn's beat!!! I remember watching Milton Berle's variety show on TV - Good ol' Uncle Milttie. Do you remember the Jack Benny Variety show on TV - how about the Phil Silvers show.

Yes you can text now... lol but when I send a text, because of pre-mptive text nobody can understand a word I send !!!

I have to say I don't remember any of those shows, so now I don't feel so old but maybe that's because I come from the UK, and I should be thinking in terms of the Billy Cotton show
Lol I don't feel that old, and DH is my toy boy and when I do remember things it makes me very happy.... sometimes it's useful to beable to remember what you did yesterday

margaret
Old 01-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #755
NWmom
DIS Veteran

You know I worked really hard to be available this week to look at the new itineraries. Wishful thinking even managed to arrange a whole week of snow days and everything.

Just hope they make the announcement before we lose power from all the snow and ice knocking down trees or that they wait until next week when power is restored.

With 16 inches of snow on the ground though- I have to say Hawaii is sounding pretty good (and warm) at this moment in time.

Thankfully I have a really good memory of being on the beach on the French Riviera to make me keep thinking Med.
Skye
NWmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #756
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have a confession here guys...................(I just saw all of these shows on PBS - Public Broadcasting Station - just last week!!! Not when they were run for the first time!) Gotcha!!!! No I reallly did watch all of these shows when they first aired - way back when. And I know there are many more..............I just can't rememberr...............I think there were more..................I just can't remember.

Retirement is GREAT!!! I love it!! I do keep working part time for my old employer. He is a great guy, and he jumped at the idea of me working part-time. This way he doesn't have to give me any benefits and he doesn't need to hire someone full time to pick up the slack. And I get some extra cash to pay for these GREAT Disney Cruises we love to take. So it was a win win situation for both of us.

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are
GOLD Now - Our 6th Disney Cruise - 14 Day Cruise - Panama Canal Crossing - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014

davidls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #757
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Magic has to go to drydock in 2013. That seems to be part of the reason for the Med cruise, drydock in Venice.
What are the other options for where she can go to accomplish drydock?

What I am thinking is- we know the Wonder had drydock in Victoria, BC in September 2011 so we know they can also do the Magic.
Was it cheaper to do it that way?
Did it help fill a dead time in the schedule?

I am wondering if they are thinking of swapping the Magic and Wonder ships. Seems to generate a bit more excitement when people can add a new ship to their belt.

Will they respond to all the disboard comments to leave a ship on the west Coast- have the Magic do Alaska in 2013 with a drydock in Victoria pre or post Alaska.

Instead of MR maybe doing more trips to Hawaii, follow it with Pacific Coast cruise and maybe that 5 day out of LA that they proposed.
Could that 5 day be replacing the MR in Dec 2012?

Still they could send the Wonder to Europe anyway instead of the Magic. That way they could have a final cruise followed by the WBTA and generate more B2B for those that want them. They kind of blew that last year with the people on the final cruise before WBTA being bumped off for that private hiring of the whole ship. I would hope they do not do that again.

Could they delay Europe by a year?
Could they be rethinking Miami based on comments? Seems like some valid ideas for going out of Tampa were suggested.

Could they be rethinking some things after the Costa Concordia? While it appears captain error is the cause/could they be worried about public perception will avoid a cruise out of Citavechia(Rome) plus the Amanda Knox case and the highlight on law and civil rights in Italy(vs US) be an issue?

Someone mentioned that a crew member asked onboard said no to Greece in 2013, but hinted maybe the next year.

Dream MV was in Feb 2011. Won't she have to go to drydock in 2014?
If my dates are wrong correct me.
But when she goes to drydock--WHERE will she go?
How long exactly is she required to have PC as her home port?

I am hoping the Magic goes to Europe in 2013, but also wondering if the Dream will be going in 2014? For that matter Wonder will be due for drydock again in 2014.

Just things to do while waiting for the snow to melt. Way too much time on my hands with school cancelled. We already built our snow mouse, went sledding etc. The winds are making it too cold to want to play outside right now.

That pretty much sums up all the speculation threads leading me to ask . . .

Could this thread need to be renamed the "Possible WBTA October 2014??? Preliminary roll call here . . . " thread instead?

Skye- who really needs to get out of the house now before she goes totally crazy.

Last edited by NWmom; 01-19-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Added another idea
Old 01-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #758
fly4free2
Dis Veteran

[QUOTE][QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWmom View Post
Magic has to go to drydock in 2013. That seems to be part of the reason for the Med cruise, drydock in Venice.
Boy you do have to much time on your hands I did a EBTA on a Celebrity ship last year, we sailed to Hamburg, Germany where she went into drydock, so I think there are many places in Europe who are equipped to handle this undertaking. I think where ever Disney can contract to get the job done to fit their time frame will be the place. It does not matter which city she sails from, I will find a way to get there.

]

Old 01-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #759
vakamalua
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Magic has to go to drydock in 2013.

I am wondering if they are thinking of swapping the Magic and Wonder ships.

Still they could send the Wonder to Europe anyway instead of the Magic.
A couple of months ago, an DCL officer told me that the Magic was designated as the ship for 'exotic' routes, i.e., outside the US. He said that they were looking at LOTS of options for the future.

He also said that after the major dry dock in 2013 (no hint as to where it would be), DCL hoped to get about five more years from the Magic before retiring her.
vakamalua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #760
sssteele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic123 View Post
Well sam, that's cool... Many Happy Returns for 11 days time in case I'm otherwise engaged. So do you get the keys to the Magic then

margaret
Actually...he will get the key. I'm taking him to The World for several days at AKV. Even have Yachtsman booked for his birthday. Friends from Tampa area will join us for one night and we'll go to Jiko with them.

We're always looking for another reason to celebrate with The Mouse.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #761
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakamalua View Post
A couple of months ago, an DCL officer told me that the Magic was designated as the ship for 'exotic' routes, i.e., outside the US. He said that they were looking at LOTS of options for the future.

He also said that after the major dry dock in 2013 (no hint as to where it would be), DCL hoped to get about five more years from the Magic before retiring her.
That's good to know. I have a goal of going on all the Disney ships.
So far only have the old Big Red Boat that started it all, and the Wonder. WIll get the Fantasy next year.

Now I'm putting the Magic on the big radar screen.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #762
magic123
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Actually...he will get the key. I'm taking him to The World for several days at AKV. Even have Yachtsman booked for his birthday. Friends from Tampa area will join us for one night and we'll go to Jiko with them.

We're always looking for another reason to celebrate with The Mouse.
that sounds wonderful, I love AKV it's a lovely resort to relax in. We did the Yachtsman a couple of years ago and it was very enjoyable, we don't often see steaks like that in the UK !! But have never been to Jiko, but you will be well placed for that one, and of course sharing with friends makes it that much more special.... so hope you both enjoy

margaret
Old 01-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #763
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

Quote:
I know there is a solid rumour about a drydock for the Magic in Europe, but I am not sure that I can really consider this to be anything more than a rumour for one reason only.

Cost: Any drydock service in Europe is going to cost 25-35% more than the same service would cost in the US or Canada simply due to the Dollar to Euro conversion factor. Any reputable shipyard with the appropriate facilities can do a drydock service. We know that Disney has used shipyards in the US and Canada before. Unless there was special services that only a particular yard could perform, I just cannot imagine why the company would spend the extra $$'s for a drydock service in Europe when the ship would be back in the US a couple of months later and could have the service done in a yard here.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #764
fly4free2
Dis Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdefouw View Post
I know there is a solid rumour about a drydock for the Magic in Europe, but I am not sure that I can really consider this to be anything more than a rumour for one reason only.

Cost: Any drydock service in Europe is going to cost 25-35% more than the same service would cost in the US or Canada simply due to the Dollar to Euro conversion factor. Any reputable shipyard with the appropriate facilities can do a drydock service. We know that Disney has used shipyards in the US and Canada before. Unless there was special services that only the priceparticular yard could perform, I just cannot imagine why the company would spend the extra $$'s for a drydock service in Europe when the ship would be back in the US a couple of months later and could have the service done in a yard here.
You have a point there. The Euro is about half the price now as it was in September when I flew to Barcelona. Disney may also be weighing all its options as the best place to do that.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #765
JustAnnieNotHazel
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakamalua View Post

Can't imagine the Disney family of ships without the Magic. Would they build another to replace her? - The Magic Returns.

All these new theories have made my head spin
JustAnnieNotHazel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: