Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #691
JessicasMom
Working to Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomsGirl View Post
I've used Facebook for quite awhile. I don't tend to post very personal stuff since it's changed. Mostly jokes and cute animal photos.

I do still like it as it's easy for my son and DIL to post photos of the kids that I can see.

The downside these days is that you can get many strange messages and friend requests. That's why so many groups are going private. For example, because I am learning sign language and am hard-of-hearing, I frequent some Deaf sites. I now get a ton of "you have won the Deaf lottery" messages, plus tons of messages from men who are just "enamored" by my profile photo. There is, unfortunately, many who prey on certain groups (like the Deaf) to scam them.

Its just a matter of being aware.
OK, that's just creepy . As someone who is new to FB, I'm still intimidated a bit, trying to navigate everything , but I would never put much personal information out there (really, who would be interested? ) I always drilled safety into my DD, who practically grew up online; her FB page is under an assumed name, so she can access what she needs to without worry. Of course, she is far more computer savvy than dear old mom, anyway (I never had to worry about computer safety growing up...there weren't any way back then )

Twitter?....no, I don't think so .
JessicasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #692
Grumpy1234
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohluv2u View Post
Margaret do you have a crystal ball that foretells a UK TA crossing in 2014
Not sure if Margaret owns a "Crystal Ball" but she does have two brooms and a cauldron.
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #693
JustAnnieNotHazel
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1234 View Post
Not sure if Margaret owns a "Crystal Ball" but she does have two brooms and a cauldron.
Norman- I think that may cost you a couple of dresses and some shoes !!!
JustAnnieNotHazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #694
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

Quote:
naughty naughty naughty !!!
TotallyAngelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #695
bound2travel
DIS Veteran

Could someone give me a brain transplant? When I read the itineraries from the survey, I saw the line "stay out of Barcelona" and interpreted it as not using Barcelona.

I really need to get the fuzzies out of my brain since it appears that I am now having problems comprehending what I read. I've only had a nasty headache since last Tuesday.
bound2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #696
magic123
Mouseketeer

WOW I have not been too active over the weekend, and so much to catch up on. Since the announcement is being made in Miami I wonder which DCL ship will sail from there, we have never been to Miami, but my preferred option is still P. C., because so want to be at WDW for as long as possible.

to our new joiners... our merry band grows even bigger x

I find myself getting into a state of panic over this impending announcement. Do I use aTA or not, isn't much time to decide now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohluv2u View Post
Margaret do you have a crystal ball that foretells a UK TA crossing in 2014
No Karen no crystal ball, but it doesn't hurt to look on the bright side, and we would have enough DVC points for a EBTA by then. But if not plenty of other repositioning cruises back to europe at that time of year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFlamingo View Post
If I win the lotto the first thing I'd do is quit my job(s). THEN I'd book all the cruises. I plan on winning big.
Yay that would be good PMA, that's what I say

Quote:
Be careful DH what you wish for..... I have ways and means of making you suffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnnieNotHazel View Post
Norman- I think that may cost you a couple of dresses and some shoes !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyAngelic View Post
naughty naughty naughty !!!
Don't worry Annemarie and Sarah, he's being a very naughty boy, so payment is now required

margaret

Last edited by magic123; 01-16-2012 at 04:53 PM.
magic123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #697
mdwoodman
Once a Marine, Always a Marine!

While I'm here, I should introduce us.

We're Michael and Michele, from Oviedo, FL. We're about 45-50 minutes from Port Canaveral, so it's obvious where we want the WBTA to end up!

This will be our 8th Disney cruise and our second WBTA. We were on the 2010 "WB TransAtlantic Pirates/Capt Jacks Re-Repoing Repossession Cruise" and met a lot of great people. Unfortunately, we missed 2011, although we did meet up with Sarah (TotallyAngelic) and Tony when they arrived in Florida! Many of the fantastic people we met on that 14 night cruise will be friends for life!

To answer a couple of the questions raised by previous posters:

Madeira - we went on the Madeira tour that had been arranged by Noel (Birkner). It was a terrific day. We crammed in just about as much as humanly possible into one day. (BTW, I thought before-hand that the "tobogans" would be a little hokey but we had great fun. It's a must-do once in your life.)

EBTA vs. WBTA - for us, it's a no-brainer. We can fly to Europe with bags for the cruise and buy as much as we want to during the cruise (including booze) because we're just driving home from Port Canaveral. Plus, the 25 hour days are great!

Early dining vs. Late dining - we have always preferred late dining. First, we tend to follow the European meal plan. Second, we don't like to feel rushed in ports to get back to the ship for dinner. Third, (don't anybody share this) DW could never get ready in time for early dining!
May 08 - MS Oosterdam (Alaska) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ Dec 08 - Carnival Miracle (Southern Caribbean) _ Jun 09 - Carnival Glory (Eastern Caribbean)
Sep 10 - Disney Magic (Westbound transAtlantic) _ _ _ _ Oct 11 - Disney Magic (Eastern Caribbean) _ _ _ _ Jun 12 - MS Statendam (Alaska S/B)
Aug 12 - Carnival Legend (Western Caribbean) _ _ _ _ _ Sep 13 - Disney Dream (Bahamas) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Sep 13 - Disney Dream (DVC Member Cruise)
Mar 14 - Disney Magic (Bahamas) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ Sep 14 - Disney Magic (WBTA)

Last edited by mdwoodman; 01-16-2012 at 10:49 PM.
mdwoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #698
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwoodman View Post
EBTA vs. WBTA - for us, it's a no-brainer. We can fly to Europe with bags for the cruise and buy as much as we want to during the cruise (including booze) because we're just driving home from Port Canaveral.
Now that is the best reason I have heard yet!

Last edited by NWmom; 01-17-2012 at 06:16 PM.
NWmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:19 AM   #699
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

Quote:
While I'm here, I should introduce us.

We're Michael and Michele, from Oviedo, FL. We're about 45-50 minutes from Port Canaveral, so it's obvious where we want the WBTA to end up!

This will be our 8th Disney cruise and our second WBTA. We were on the 2010 "WB TransAtlantic Pirates/Capt Jacks Re-Repoing Repossession Cruise" and met a lot of great people. Unfortunately, we missed 2011, although we did meet up with Sarah (TotallyAngelic) and Tony when they arrived in Florida! Many of the fantastic people we met on that 14 night cruise will be friends for life!

To answer a couple of the questions raised by previous posters:

Madeira - we went on the Madeira tour that had been arranged by Noel (Birkner). It was a terrific day. We crammed in just about as much as humanly possible into one day. (BTW, I thought before-hand that the "tobogans" would be a little hokey but we had great fun. It's a must-do once in your life.)

EBTA vs. WBTA - for us, it's a no-brainer. We can fly to Europe with bags for the cruise and buy as much as we want to during the cruise (including booze) because we're just driving home from Port Canaveral. Plus, the 25 hour days are great!

Early dining vs. Late dining - we have always preferred late dining. First, we tend to follow the European meal plan. Second, we don't like to feel rushed in ports to get back to the ship for dinner. Third, (don't anybody share this) DW could never get ready in time for early dining!
So happy that you guys are coming on this cruise

Agree with you on the toboggans ... great fun despite being a bit tourist-trappy, but got to be done once.

We definitely prefer late dining ( have never done early ) and for all the same reasons as yourselves

No such luck on the shopping front though .... we tend to get a few extra lbs each flying long haul back from USA compared to the short haul airlines to get to Barcelona ... but we are always very near the knuckle on our allowance and have to keep shopping to a minimum.
TotallyAngelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:09 AM   #700
babydiver
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liesbeth1012 View Post
We must not only win the lottery, but a lot of extra vacation days. I don't think my work will allow all the cruises I want.
Hi Liesbeth...looking forward to seeing you and Paul again next year...

If you win the lottery you could afford to give up work and do all the cruises you want....or if you love your job then go part time....

Fingers crossed (if you do the lottery??)

7 nights Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2007 - 7 nights Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 2009 - 3 nights Disney Wonder Bahamas 2009 - 7 nights Disney Wonder Alaska 2011 - 14 nights Disney Magic WBTA 2011 - 7 night Disney Wonder Pacific 2012 (Gold at last!) - 7 night Disney Fantasy EC Jan 2013 - 12 nights Disney Magic Barcelona to Venice June 2014 - 14 nights Disney Magic WBTA Sept 2014 B2B 7 nights Disney Magic Southern Caribbean Sept 2014 -
14 nights Panama Canal May 2015 (Platinum at last) - 11 night Disney Magic WBTA Sept 2015.
babydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:21 AM   #701
babydiver
Mouseketeer

Quote:

No such luck on the shopping front though .... we tend to get a few extra lbs each flying long haul back from USA compared to the short haul airlines to get to Barcelona ... but we are always very near the knuckle on our allowance and have to keep shopping to a minimum.
Same here Sarah...remember the days of 32kg per bag and you were allowed 2 bags each....not that we ever travelled with 2 bags each ....

We usually went with one bag each and came back with one extra packed with goodies we had bought at the Outlets..

We flew to Barcelona with Jet2 and their allowance was 23kg the same as the return with Virgin on the long haul and we could only buy a couple of very small things.

We used Virgin Airmiles for our one way return flights using their credit card for EVERYTHING for the 18 months previously so thank goodness people are posting good sites for cheaper one way airfares for next year..

All hints and tips are gratefully received.

7 nights Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2007 - 7 nights Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 2009 - 3 nights Disney Wonder Bahamas 2009 - 7 nights Disney Wonder Alaska 2011 - 14 nights Disney Magic WBTA 2011 - 7 night Disney Wonder Pacific 2012 (Gold at last!) - 7 night Disney Fantasy EC Jan 2013 - 12 nights Disney Magic Barcelona to Venice June 2014 - 14 nights Disney Magic WBTA Sept 2014 B2B 7 nights Disney Magic Southern Caribbean Sept 2014 -
14 nights Panama Canal May 2015 (Platinum at last) - 11 night Disney Magic WBTA Sept 2015.
babydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #702
davidls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicasMom View Post
OK, that's just creepy . As someone who is new to FB, I'm still intimidated a bit, trying to navigate everything , but I would never put much personal information out there (really, who would be interested? ) I always drilled safety into my DD, who practically grew up online; her FB page is under an assumed name, so she can access what she needs to without worry. Of course, she is far more computer savvy than dear old mom, anyway (I never had to worry about computer safety growing up...there weren't any way back then )

Twitter?....no, I don't think so .
Like JessicasMom, I am a little intimidated with FB as well. Still haven't signed up yet, but plan on doing so today. Signing up under an assumed name sounds like a great idea.

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are GOLD - Our 6th Disney Cruise - East Bound Panama Canal Cruise - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014
Our 7th Disney Cruise - "With Great Friends Cruise" - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - Nov 2015
davidls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #703
mdwoodman
Once a Marine, Always a Marine!

Quote:
Yeah, we tend to find a few extra pounds on a cruise, too ... oh, you meant baggage allowance!
May 08 - MS Oosterdam (Alaska) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ Dec 08 - Carnival Miracle (Southern Caribbean) _ Jun 09 - Carnival Glory (Eastern Caribbean)
Sep 10 - Disney Magic (Westbound transAtlantic) _ _ _ _ Oct 11 - Disney Magic (Eastern Caribbean) _ _ _ _ Jun 12 - MS Statendam (Alaska S/B)
Aug 12 - Carnival Legend (Western Caribbean) _ _ _ _ _ Sep 13 - Disney Dream (Bahamas) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Sep 13 - Disney Dream (DVC Member Cruise)
Mar 14 - Disney Magic (Bahamas) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ Sep 14 - Disney Magic (WBTA)

mdwoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #704
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Quote:
Yeah, we tend to find a few extra pounds on a cruise, too ... oh, you meant baggage allowance!

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas; 9/6/14 Disney Magic WBTA
ThePhantomsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #705
davidls
DIS Veteran

Ok, I did it.....................I joined facebook. I just hiked up my pants and closed my eyes and did it. I made it as private as I could. Being a first timer I hope I did everything right. I then went to the TA 2013 facebook page and put in a request to join the group. I hope I'm doing things right. If not, please, you veteran facebook members please let me know.

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are GOLD - Our 6th Disney Cruise - East Bound Panama Canal Cruise - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014
Our 7th Disney Cruise - "With Great Friends Cruise" - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - Nov 2015
davidls is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: