Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #211
JimB.
DIS Veteran

Happy Sunday Warriors!!!

My lovely, luscious Bride and I fled St Augustine this weekend and are hiding out in out home in Celebration this weekend. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand it has rained the entire time we have been here!! But at least it is not "The Real World"!

I was gonna' start running this weekend, but after I re-assembled a (very small) table yesterday, I stood up and pinched a nerve (or something equally as painful) in my back. Aaaaaaargh! NOTHING is working lately! I could barely stand for most of yesterday.

I did go for a short 800m swim this morning so at least I have SOMETHING in the books for the week.

The "bike thing" has worked at VERY well. I bought a 2009 Specialized Transition bicycle a couple of days ago. Excellent condition, well maintained, and I could not beat the price! I have to get it fitted and buy some new shoes for it before I can really do anything on it though.

Everyone stay safe!!

Amanda -- That's just freakin' unbelievable about your phone! I had cash stolen out of my wallet by a passenger once a few years ago. REALLY pisses you off, doesn't it?!
GATOR NATION RULES!!!
JimB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #212
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB. View Post
Happy Sunday Warriors!!!

My lovely, luscious Bride and I fled St Augustine this weekend and are hiding out in out home in Celebration this weekend. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand it has rained the entire time we have been here!! But at least it is not "The Real World"!

I was gonna' start running this weekend, but after I re-assembled a (very small) table yesterday, I stood up and pinched a nerve (or something equally as painful) in my back. Aaaaaaargh! NOTHING is working lately! I could barely stand for most of yesterday.

I did go for a short 800m swim this morning so at least I have SOMETHING in the books for the week.

The "bike thing" has worked at VERY well. I bought a 2009 Specialized Transition bicycle a couple of days ago. Excellent condition, well maintained, and I could not beat the price! I have to get it fitted and buy some new shoes for it before I can really do anything on it though.

Everyone stay safe!!

Amanda -- That's just freakin' unbelievable about your phone! I had cash stolen out of my wallet by a passenger once a few years ago. REALLY pisses you off, doesn't it?!
Jim-must be a bad day since today is Saturday. Rotten about that nerve and great about the bike.

Amanda-big time bummer with the iPhone.

Jeremy-easy on the knee.

I WISH I could send you-all some of the good times I have been having lately. I guess the last couple of really good weeks are making up for last year's major bicycle crash.

Get well everyone.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #213
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Jim - I'm so sorry about the back hurting! You can't catch a break, can you? I know you understand - I would have been annoyed that my phone was stolen but I was really angry that I was trying to HELP the person who stole my phone.
John - I'm so glad you're doing so well!!! We were all so worried about you after your accident.

I somehow managed my 2 mid-week runs this week and tomorrow is the long one. For all of my whining, I'm feeling great about my training and I'm SO GLAD I signed up for the Galloway ecoaching. It's really helped my motivation and consistency. If that's all that I've accomplished thru the ecoaching, it'll be well worth the cost. I honestly think I can expect a marathon PR this January even though it'll be one day after the Donald. I'm so much better trained than I was last year at this time. I haven't missed a single run since starting the ecoaching!
I'm also due for some new running shoes so I might head over to the store today. My current ones are close to 300 miles. I bought some more minalimist shoes which still have low mileage but I'm still learning how to use them. I'm really not ready to make the transition yet. I use them for one short run per week. The jury is still out on whether or not I like them!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #214
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
Pam-your perseverance on a treadmill is outstanding.
No treadmill involved- Our YMCA has an 11 lap/mile track so I have that to run on.

I've been traveling the last 10 days or so helping DD#2 move from CT to Indianapolis and fix up the new apartment. DD#3 borrowed my car for a wedding this weekend so I can finally go home tomorrow LOL. I did get a nice run in Monday at a friends house (in CT) about an hours worth outdoors on a nice trail. Haven't gotten much else but lifting toting and painting done since. Monday it'll be back at the school/regular exercise life.

DrMom~ my only Disney trip/race in the near future is the Princess in Feb.
Have a great day all

Pam and DH Mike Wondering our way to Hawaii 10/14/2012

Pam and DH Mike (Retiring) through the Canal again 05/2015
Bookwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #215
johde
DIS Veteran

Hi all

Amanda - Good to hear the e-coaching is working out so well. I've got 5 pairs of running shoes and I think I'm going to need to be on the lookout for some replacements. 3 of the pairs have 300+ miles and are in semi-retirement, my current "good" pair has 225 miles, and my cheap pair had 150 miles.

John - After that bike crash you deserve some good times.

JimB - Glad to hear you got a good deal on the bike.

I know it was probably crazy but I got out for my long run yesterday. I hadn't done a "long" run for 3 weeks because of the race last week. I did start out very easy and if things started hurting I left myself a couple of outs to cut it short. After warmup I did :30 run/ :60 walk 7.5 miles before bumping it up to 1/1. I did a total of 10 miles, was going to do 11 but had looped back past the car and decided to stop. So that doesn't include my normal 1/2 mile cooldown. The knee held up pretty well. It was a little bit sore yesterday evening after going shopping but by this morning is was almost back to normal. Fortunately, so far, all my "injuries" have been minor irritations and not major injuries.

My nephew had his first pre-season Cross Country tournament today. It was on my side of the state so I went to watch him. Mom and dad aren't able to get out like that so I've tried to go watch the nieces and nephews when I can. He finished in 18:00.72. He was shooting for right around 18 minutes. And his team finished 4th in their heat. He's a junior now but didn't start distance running until the beginning of his freshmen year. So, he's only got 2 years experience.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #216
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Amanda-easy on the Donald and fly in the Mickey. Feels so good being ahead of last year, doesn't it. Enjoy the new shoes once they're on.

Pam-when you wrote "indoors" I just figured you were one of those uber dreadmill runners. Glad you're getting back to normal again.

Jeremy-good deal with the knee on te long run and you have to be proud of your nephew.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #217
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Pam - Glad you're feeling good! I really want to do the Princess but I'm not sure I'll get the ok from the "boss."
Jeremy - Great run!!! Glad the knee is ok.
John - Thanks! I'd love to learn more from you on walking. Did you read books or look online or have a coach? How did you get so fast???

I did 11 miles this morning at 13:54 pace in my brand new shoes. I'm loving them but realized that I need to replace some socks (I got a blister between my toes - yuck!). It was a nice morning - starting temp was 57F and finishing temp was 64F. I'm really aiming for 14 min/mile on my long runs so I was just a little fast.
We head to Florida for our end of summer vacation on Saturday. Labor Day weekend is my first weekend of walking Saturday/running Sunday in prep for Goofy.

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Aug 2011 TR
Disney Dream
Old 08-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #218
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Amanda-very good with your 11 at a 13:54. Take it carefully this weekend and enjoy. No 57F down here so be ready for the warmth.

I have read the books, watched the videos and found that Danny Dreyer's thoughts on Chi Walking is what helped me improve my speed while my bicycle riding provided the stamina. My fastest walking is when I lean forward and yet many experts don't want that as proper posture.

I first and foremost worked on finding what techniques, body mechanics, freed my body up to make the walking smoother rather than playing with things like Galloway timing or specific training routines. Wish I could show you how I walk. Maybe at ToT.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #219
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Thanks John!!! I will definitely try to meet up with you and Kathy that weekend since I will be unencumbered.
We've had a very hot summer so this cool weather is just a fluke. Luckily I'll do my 12 mile run when we get back to NY after the trip so I just have short runs for Florida.

And I realized my stupid blister is because I went for my pre-trip pedicure and they cleaned up all of my nice callouses on my feet. I should have remembered that I had this problem the last time I went for a pedicure. Serves me right!

Amanda

Aug 2011 TR
Disney Dream
Old 08-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #220
JimB.
DIS Veteran

Good Morning Warriors!

Spending the day at our "escape house" in Celebration prior to flying out to CA tomorrow morning for the DL 1/2. Hoping that TS Isaac does not interfere with our plans too much!

It's been a pretty uneventful week or so. Trying to get well from my various maladies that have plagued me lately. Not much running or biking. I'm trying to do the smart thing (surprisingly) and not riding the new bike until I get it professionally fitted, and the weather has ruled out ALL outside activities for the most part. We have had only 4-5 rain free days this entire month! A bunch of days slingin' weights at the gym has been about all I've done consistently lately.

Thaaaaaaaaaaat's about it! If anyone is heading west for DL, GOOD LUCK! Everyone stay safe and train hard!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
GATOR NATION RULES!!!
JimB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #221
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Jim-have a great time at DL, be safe and go fast.

Amanda-hope the blister is gone and you're back at it pain free.

I have my 2nd Sprint tri on Saturday and just hoping the Gulf is calm and not full of seaweed. Want to have breakfast after the tri is over not while I'm swimming.

Already signed up for the Gator 70.3 in March next year. Have a lot of swimming to get in between now and then.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #222
smileyk8
DIS Veteran

Sorry Iíve been rubbish lately. My old laptop was dying and stupidly slow and trying to write proper posts on my iphone was just frustrating! New laptop and bouncier smileyk8 is back. Iíve looked back over the past 3 pages so Iím sorry if my posts seem a little squiffy!

Amanda- amazing that you have Jeff Gallway coaching!!! Iím so impressed that youíre sticking to the plan and by the look of your magic mile itís working. Youíre last long run looked great and so close to the target pace. Ignore your friendís comments about times, that was not a helpful or nice thing to say. You are working so hard and focusing on you, that is all that matters. Zachary is sooo cute! Canít believe what happened to your phone- thatís so upsetting!

Jim- ergh to picking up GI issues from a patient. I can not imagine how such a hangover would feel Also back twinge and rain in your posts are not pleasing me! Howís the Celebration house doing? Good luck at the DL half, hope itís wonderful and amazing and super exciting.

Jeremy- yay for signing up to a Rock and Roll event. I love how far in advance youíre planning and would love to do one of their races. Fantastic to hear about your nephew and lovely that you make the effort to get out there to support him.

Pam- sorry your tri was cancelled, so pleased to see that you felt fit enough to go for one. Thatís brilliant news. With all the lifting and moving Iím not sure you need to worry about not getting many runs in- thatís a workout on itís own. Iíd love to run on a track, never been brave enough to go to a session though.

John- In the words of Rhino: YOU ARE TOTALLY AWESOME  up at 2am to get an immense workout in! Itís so lovely to see such a great come back for your after last year.

Iím toying with trainers/orthotic combinations and have started to follow Coach Jay Johnson (I think) 8 week strength plan. My word I am WEAK! Have you guys got Metafit classes over there? High intensity interval work a bit like circuits, but the people actually try to kill you. I did it on Monday and couldnít sit up without my arms until yesterday! Having never done a burpee or mountain climber or sumo squat in my life, those 3 exercises alone definitely hit the spot. It was a trial so not sure if it will be a regular thing, but Iíd need to do it away from races as it knocked my runs badly! Got a 10k in a couple of weeks that Iím doing as a tourist rather than an all out PB attack. I think I prefer this approach at the moment.

Keep at it, you amazing warriors.
Boston Marathon 2009 4hrs 22minsPrincess half marathon 2009 1hour 56mins, 57secs Walt Disney World Marathon 2010 4hrs 7minsRoyal parks half 2010 1:52:19WDW Wine and Dine 2013 1:50:16
smileyk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #223
johde
DIS Veteran

Hi all

Kate - Good luck with the Metafit classes.

John - Good luck in the SprintTri

JimB - Hope you continue to get better.

Amanda - Sorry to hear about the blisters. If you haven't already, I would buy some moleskins. I did my first half marathon with moleskins covering the bottoms of both of my feet because of blisters during training.

Things are going pretty well for me. I still get occasional knee discomfort. Today I got my 12 mile long run in. The weather was a down right cool 52 when I started but by the time I finished it was almost 80. For some strange reason about mile 5 my knee acted up for a couple of run intervals so I turned around at mile 5.5. But by the time I got back to my car it was feeling good enough to finish up the 12 miles I had planned.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #224
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

Happy September Warriors!

Ran a local 5K this weekend and ended with a 34.45 (PR for me and second in my age group) even though it was terribly humid! Next Saturday I'm doing a Color run and just running to have the experience. Two nieces and 2 of the DD's and I will uphold the family honor at the Indianapolis Color me Rad 5K. I just hope the sweat doesn't make the colors run and form brown all over me LOL, I'm hoping to get a pretty shirt out of it.

Kate~ I take a cross fit class that sounds a bit like your's our trainer really likes sumo squats, burpees and mountain climbers as well as one called a gitup (hold a 5 lb hand weight in one hand lying prone on the ground and get up keeping the weight over your head and watching it- then lay back down again! I really dislike that one (at least while I'm doing it LOL)

Have a great day all!

Pam and DH Mike Wondering our way to Hawaii 10/14/2012

Pam and DH Mike (Retiring) through the Canal again 05/2015
Bookwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #225
smileyk8
DIS Veteran

Jeremy sorry that your knee was twingy, but well done getting the mileage done. I would have been soooo tempted to get back in that car!

Pam Oh my word... sumo squats felt fine at the time, but I'm pretty sure the ouchyness outside of my legs was from them. Amazing workout, but as you say not exactly pleasant at the time! Can't wait to see your pretty shirt after the Color Me Rad race, it sounds fantastic. You'll be like a tie-dyed WISHer Huge congrats on your 5k and coming second in group!
Boston Marathon 2009 4hrs 22minsPrincess half marathon 2009 1hour 56mins, 57secs Walt Disney World Marathon 2010 4hrs 7minsRoyal parks half 2010 1:52:19WDW Wine and Dine 2013 1:50:16
smileyk8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: