Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #76
gmeh1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmouse View Post
I am in the process of renting a vehicle for the end of April...here is my situation. There will be 4 of us 4 suitcases and a ECV (one of us not the driver has COPD). If I reserve from the EA (midsize) am I taking my chances for a mini van? I am pricing them now and with the $35 off I am still going to pay $856 for a mini van for 10 days. What are my chances going with a midsize?
Reserve the size you need, unless you can be accomodated with a full size car. You are taking a very big chance expecting a mini van on the EA. It does happen, but, not that often. General rule of thumb (subject to variations now and then) EA: midsize to full size cars. EE: Full size to premium.

If you don't see what you need, please, ask the greeter for assistance. You do NOT have to trapse from one side of the airport to the other. They will bring your request (if it can be granted) to you.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #77
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 46,121

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1 View Post
If you don't see what you need, please, ask the greeter for assistance. You do NOT have to trapse from one side of the airport to the other. They will bring your request (if it can be granted) to you.
Good to know! Now if only we'd seen a greeter on our last two trips.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #78
NJmouse
DIS Veteran
 
NJmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Egg Harbor City, NJ
Posts: 793

Thanks for the info. I just found out that she isn't taking the ECV but renting one and having it delivered to our hotel. So a full size will do just fine.
NJmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #79
gmeh1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Good to know! Now if only we'd seen a greeter on our last two trips.
They are located in the little green kiosk on both sides of MCO, or they are walking around helping customers. White shirts, green ties. OR>>>> you can go to the Alamo kiosk inside the garage and ask for help. Since we are all the same company, they can help you as well.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:09 AM   #80
gmeh1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmouse View Post
Thanks for the info. I just found out that she isn't taking the ECV but renting one and having it delivered to our hotel. So a full size will do just fine.
That's great, so, now you can do an EC reservation and you will probably get a nice full size car. Good luck and I hope you get a surprise.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #81
NJmouse
DIS Veteran
 
NJmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Egg Harbor City, NJ
Posts: 793

That is what happened last year...and we ended up with a Dodge Caravan. We are now sooo spoiled! LOL. The Greeter met us in the full size aisle and there was none left so he gave up the Dodge Caravan. We a weeks rental for $140.59!
NJmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #82
Bordassi
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7

First time rental at National EA (JFK Airport)

Dear all,

I am new to this wonderful forum.

We are planning a trip to the US (NY) during the summer and have just placed a reservation at National, using my Emerald Club membership.

Appreciate alot if you can please respond to my questions, as this is the first time I am renting from National;
1- Reserved a mid size car, whilst we are travelling 2 adults, 3 children, 4 suitcases, a carry-on and a stroller. Thus we will definitely need a minivan/large SUV. How likely are we going to leave their lot with a vehicle that suits our needs? I am assuming that if they see us struggling with the luggage they will let us pick a large car even if not available in Emerald aisle. Am I wrong?
2- The total price, including insurance, for 14 rental days is $670. I've seen previous posts of people who have rented cars for 2 weeks at ~50% of that. How can I lower the rental price?

Thank you in advance for your responses!
Bordassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #83
SilverMickey
DIS Veteran
 
SilverMickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordassi View Post
Dear all,

I am new to this wonderful forum.

We are planning a trip to the US (NY) during the summer and have just placed a reservation at National, using my Emerald Club membership.

Appreciate alot if you can please respond to my questions, as this is the first time I am renting from National;
1- Reserved a mid size car, whilst we are travelling 2 adults, 3 children, 4 suitcases, a carry-on and a stroller. Thus we will definitely need a minivan/large SUV. How likely are we going to leave their lot with a vehicle that suits our needs? I am assuming that if they see us struggling with the luggage they will let us pick a large car even if not available in Emerald aisle. Am I wrong?
2- The total price, including insurance, for 14 rental days is $670. I've seen previous posts of people who have rented cars for 2 weeks at ~50% of that. How can I lower the rental price?

Thank you in advance for your responses!
(This is not what you want to hear)
I would NEVER EXPECT to get a car that is bigger than full size when renting on the Emerald Aisle. If you need a minivan or full size SUV that is what you should rent. Once in a while you will see a larger than full size but that is not a guarantee. Last time we rented the largest car was a Mazda 6 crossover. Not nearly as big as a minivan. The rest of the cars were Impalas.

Good luck! Have a great trip!
__________________
Dad Mom Jake Levi
SilverMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #84
gmeh1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordassi View Post
Dear all,

I am new to this wonderful forum.

We are planning a trip to the US (NY) during the summer and have just placed a reservation at National, using my Emerald Club membership.

Appreciate alot if you can please respond to my questions, as this is the first time I am renting from National;
1- Reserved a mid size car, whilst we are travelling 2 adults, 3 children, 4 suitcases, a carry-on and a stroller. Thus we will definitely need a minivan/large SUV. How likely are we going to leave their lot with a vehicle that suits our needs? I am assuming that if they see us struggling with the luggage they will let us pick a large car even if not available in Emerald aisle. Am I wrong?
2- The total price, including insurance, for 14 rental days is $670. I've seen previous posts of people who have rented cars for 2 weeks at ~50% of that. How can I lower the rental price?

Thank you in advance for your responses!
Book what you need, and do not assume they will let you pick something off the Aisle, they see people struggle each day. You can hire a skycap to help with the luggage. Get rid of the insurance to lower the price, also, check closer to your dates, you are a bit far out for decent prices. Prices drop the closer you get.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:57 AM   #85
Bordassi
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMickey View Post
(This is not what you want to hear)
I would NEVER EXPECT to get a car that is bigger than full size when renting on the Emerald Aisle. If you need a minivan or full size SUV that is what you should rent. Once in a while you will see a larger than full size but that is not a guarantee. Last time we rented the largest car was a Mazda 6 crossover. Not nearly as big as a minivan. The rest of the cars were Impalas.

Good luck! Have a great trip!
Thanks for your responses.

Unfortunately the price of a minivan/full size SUV are out of my range ($1,100 and up). Perhaps I should try my luck, and if they don't have anything at the aisle, upgrade on the spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1 View Post
Book what you need, and do not assume they will let you pick something off the Aisle, they see people struggle each day. You can hire a skycap to help with the luggage. Get rid of the insurance to lower the price, also, check closer to your dates, you are a bit far out for decent prices. Prices drop the closer you get.
Thanks for the tip, I will definitely check the prices as we get closer to the trip. Re: the insurance, I am using our corporate rates, which already includes all insurances.
Bordassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #86
dishguy1977
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 254

I was just upgraded to Executive - am I allowed to pick from both aisles or am I restricted to the Exec aisle? We got a minivan on the regular aisle last year for $93 for the week and I'd hate to see one in the regular aisle and not be allowed to take it because I am exec now.
dishguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #87
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL
 
n2mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: West Virgina
Posts: 17,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishguy1977 View Post
I was just upgraded to Executive - am I allowed to pick from both aisles or am I restricted to the Exec aisle? We got a minivan on the regular aisle last year for $93 for the week and I'd hate to see one in the regular aisle and not be allowed to take it because I am exec now.
We are also Executive members (again) and yes, you can choose from either aisle. That is one of the great perks. We've been Executive members for many years now and I love the monthly updates they now send us. Back in the day I use to have to monitor my account closely to make sure I was at my required days (40) to maintain this level. Now we get those wonderful monthly reports telling me how many more credits are needed to the next free day, how many free days we have and how close we are to maintaining our continued Executive aisle status. Congratulations on your upgrade.
__________________
2014 TRIPS
Oct. 18-Nov 1 @ BWV
Nov. 9-16 on the Disney Magic 7 night Cruise

2015 TRIPS-Under Construction
April 29 - May 16 @ BCV
Sept 11-12@ BLT; ? + Cruise
Oct 25 - Nov 7 @ ?


Last edited by n2mm; 02-24-2012 at 09:01 AM.
n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #88
ktpc2005
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 39

Just got back from FL and at the A side of the Emerald Exec Aisle last Sunday all they had was camrys and Impalas on the A side.
ktpc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #89
gmeh1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,172

Just a FYI for all:

Emerald Club Benefits
Members can:
•Bypass the counter at most major U.S. airports
•Choose any vehicle from the Emerald Aisle* and only pay the reserved Midsize rate
•Earn their choice of Free Rental Days or frequent flyer miles
•Expedite returns with automatic e-receipts
•Access Member Services through dedicated phone line: 800.962.7070 (M – F, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. EST)
Additional benefits by tier:
Emerald Club Tier
•One Free Rental Day (up to a Midsize car) with seven rental credits, OR frequent traveler credits (amount varies by airline or hotel partner)
Executive Tier
•All Emerald Club Tier level benefits
•Choice of car from the Executive Selection featuring Fullsize and higher class cars charged at the reserved Midsize rate
•Guaranteed upgrades. Member always pays for one car class less than the car reserved (Fullsize through luxury)
•One Free Rental Day (up to a Midsize car) with six rental credits, OR frequent traveler credits (amount varies by airline or hotel partner)
•Requirements: 12 - 24 paid rentals or 40 - 84 paid rental days in a calendar year. (For members upgrading to Executive, membership is valid for the remainder of the year the member was promoted plus 14 months)
Executive Elite Tier
•All Executive Tier level benefits
•Guaranteed car (up to a Fullsize) with 24-hour notice
•Car delivery to most private airport terminals within 50 miles of a National location in the U.S. (Charges may apply.)**
•One Free Rental Day (up to a Midsize car) with five rental credits, OR frequent traveler credits (amount varies by airline or hotel partner)
•Requirements: 25 paid rentals or 85 or more paid rental days in a calendar year. (For members upgrading to Executive Elite, membership is valid for the remainder of the year the member was promoted plus 14 months)
*Available at select locations only. Expedited counter service available at all other locations.
**Cannot be booked on-line.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #90
gmeh1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktpc2005 View Post
Just got back from FL and at the A side of the Emerald Exec Aisle last Sunday all they had was camrys and Impalas on the A side.
It has been a VERY VERY busy time.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



You Rated this Thread: