Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #331
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1 View Post
Yes, you can upgrade when you get to the garage if the mid does not fit your belongings.
Please, keep in mind, you are NOT going to the aisle, you are going to a particular section. If you decide to upgrade you will need to go to the Alamo booth in the garage and upgrade there. Very simple and usually very quick.
A standard SUV is shown on the National page under cars. Jeep Grand Cherokee is what is shown for a standard SUV.
One last question, I booked with a coupon code, can I call and use the same code to upgrade now with the same discount?
cantwaitvaca09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #332
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwaitvaca09 View Post
One last question, I booked with a coupon code, can I call and use the same code to upgrade now with the same discount?
While upgrading is "easy" it's not always cheap. Having had to do this or having seen it done you don't always get the best price. With discounts or coupons if there's a 'limit' on the "volume" or it doesn't cover a full size SUV then you won't the deal.

And depending on the type/year etc you may not be able to upgrade at all. I have heard of a few attempts to "upgrade" to minivans being told no. Last year at Jacksonville I was behind a man at the booth (this was before they put in the aisle) who was rather upset to learn (A) there was no aisle so he couldn't get a "free' upgrade to a minivan/suv and (B) they were actually sold out due to the special event in town and he could take them midsize he reserved or.....

I screwed up this week and had to book a walk up rate at another agency as National in the town I landed in was sold out. (Yes, ES gets a guarantee car but you have to give 24 hours notice and I just showed up without a reservation) You don't want to know what I am paying but....

So learn from my errors. Book what you need in advance at all possible
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #333
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
While upgrading is "easy" it's not always cheap. Having had to do this or having seen it done you don't always get the best price. With discounts or coupons if there's a 'limit' on the "volume" or it doesn't cover a full size SUV then you won't the deal.

And depending on the type/year etc you may not be able to upgrade at all. I have heard of a few attempts to "upgrade" to minivans being told no. Last year at Jacksonville I was behind a man at the booth (this was before they put in the aisle) who was rather upset to learn (A) there was no aisle so he couldn't get a "free' upgrade to a minivan/suv and (B) they were actually sold out due to the special event in town and he could take them midsize he reserved or.....

I screwed up this week and had to book a walk up rate at another agency as National in the town I landed in was sold out. (Yes, ES gets a guarantee car but you have to give 24 hours notice and I just showed up without a reservation) You don't want to know what I am paying but....

Thank you all for your help. I did call National and changed to a standard SUV. I can't go down to a car because my DD gets car sick, (thats why we are not takign DME) and SUV? Mini Van is better for her. So it was $60 more for the week to upgrade. I wish it was a bit less, but $60 is worth it to know I have what we need.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #334
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We were telling people NO on mini van upgrades, SUV (all sizes) upgrades, etc. all July long. It was July in Orlando, need I say more?

You got me on the "ES"( I am thinking Emerald select, but not sure) status, what is that? Normally an EC or EExec. can get a walk up car without a reservation here in sunny Orlando, but, sometimes "normal" is anything but. Have not seen a total sellout yet, but, it has been really close.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:34 AM   #335
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you all for your help. I did call National and changed to a standard SUV. I can't go down to a car because my DD gets car sick, (thats why we are not takign DME) and SUV? Mini Van is better for her. So it was $60 more for the week to upgrade. I wish it was a bit less, but $60 is worth it to know I have what we need.
Soooo, I am curious and a bit confused. What did you ultimately book? A standard SUV or a mini van? Keep checking those rates, you never know.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:59 AM   #336
ICan'tWait
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase'n'Ciera View Post
Anyone happen to know what is typically on EA at TPA? Flying in there this time and spending a few days on the beach before Disney
Wondering same thing. I guess this is a bump.
ICan'tWait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #337
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Soooo, I am curious and a bit confused. What did you ultimately book? A standard SUV or a mini van? Keep checking those rates, you never know.
I had a midsize SUV... I now have a standard suv for $267 for the week.
Is that a good price?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #338
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We were telling people NO on mini van upgrades, SUV (all sizes) upgrades, etc. all July long. It was July in Orlando, need I say more?

You got me on the "ES"( I am thinking Emerald select, but not sure) status, what is that? Normally an EC or EExec. can get a walk up car without a reservation here in sunny Orlando, but, sometimes "normal" is anything but. Have not seen a total sellout yet, but, it has been really close.
Typo. I am Executive and SAT had no cars with National. I didn't check Alamo as I won't actually rent from them. (yes I know it is the same company, but after my one and only attempt to use Alamo 20 years ago I swore never to let rent from them. In my 30 plus years of weekly travel I have said "never again" twice and I meant it )
Old 08-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #339
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Typo. I am Executive and SAT had no cars with National. I didn't check Alamo as I won't actually rent from them. (yes I know it is the same company, but after my one and only attempt to use Alamo 20 years ago I swore never to let rent from them. In my 30 plus years of weekly travel I have said "never again" twice and I meant it )
Just a FYI (and I know you said never) Alamo would have honored that contract and found you a car. You would still have been renting from National with Alamo's help.
Where were you on Sat with no cars? I have been on vacation (going back today, ).
Old 08-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #340
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I had a midsize SUV... I now have a standard suv for $267 for the week.
Is that a good price?
I don't know if that is a good rate, sorry, I don't keep track of the rates all that much. I can say the walk up rate for the SUV is 324.99 plus taxes and fees for a week.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #341
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just a FYI (and I know you said never) Alamo would have honored that contract and found you a car. You would still have been renting from National with Alamo's help.
Where were you on Sat with no cars? I have been on vacation (going back today, ).
Let me rephrase. I try not to even talk to anyone wearing an Alamo outfit.

I was in San Antonio. (SAT)
Old 08-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #342
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Let me rephrase. I try not to even talk to anyone wearing an Alamo outfit.

I was in San Antonio. (SAT)
LOL, you are too funny. RE: SAT, I don't know all the airport codes, I took it as the day of the week. As to having to deal with anyone in an Alamo outfit, you would not have had to do that. Just go get a car and exit at National. At least that is how it works here. Have a GREAt day.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #343
cel_disney
DIS Veteran

Last September when we rented from Alamo, there was an option for an 8 passenger Sienna. I have been playing around with my end of September rental for this year and haven't seen them in the list. Does anyone knw if they have been discontinued at Alamo?
cel_disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #344
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel_disney View Post
Last September when we rented from Alamo, there was an option for an 8 passenger Sienna. I have been playing around with my end of September rental for this year and haven't seen them in the list. Does anyone knw if they have been discontinued at Alamo?
We still have Siennas. Not sure why they don't show up, but we have them. It is also an upgrade from a regular 7 pax. mini van. I know, at this time, that the 8 pax. are sold out. Not available for upgrade or walk up. You can give the reservations line a call and see what the status is for your dates. (877) 222-9075
Old 08-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #345
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We still have Siennas. Not sure why they don't show up, but we have them. It is also an upgrade from a regular 7 pax. mini van. I know, at this time, that the 8 pax. are sold out. Not available for upgrade or walk up. You can give the reservations line a call and see what the status is for your dates. (877) 222-9075
If I have a Standard SUV booked, can I pick mini van if they have them in the isle?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: